+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 151 to 174 of 174

Thread: Gunslinger!

  1. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    I am not really warming up to Gunslinger. There are some good songs and then there are few that I really really dislike (Pure Adrenalin is one of them). The only song that I absolutely LOVE is Whiskey To Wine. So all in all, I like MAM better too.

    Having said that: I totally LOVE the Christmas album Christmas Together. Listened to it a million times.
    Pretty much agree with you here. I think Whiskey to Wine is the only great song on the album. There are three songs that I actually hate. (It's the first time I've ever hated anything that Garth has done) Pure Adrenaline, Sugarcane and Bang Bang. If I never hear them again, I'll be lucky. The other songs are just okay songs that have grown on me after listening to them so many times now. I've never had to have a Garth album grow on me before. So yes, MAM is much much better than GS in my humble opinion. CT is also very good.

  2. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I love Gunslinger! There is only one song on it that I am not crazy about (which I will keep to myself since it could be someone else's favorite), but over all I think it's a great album. I wonder how Pure Adrenaline would have done as a single.
    Pure Adrenaline is a song that I actually hate. That being said, I think that could be the one single on the album that could give him a top ten hit on today's country music radio.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,488
    Yup, I think Sugarcane is awful too. Strangely enough, I do like Bang Bang! Can't exactly say why. But I enjoy listening to it. (Haven't paid much attention to the lyrics yet, to be honest).

    Somehow, to me anyway, this album feels as if it was made with the head more than with the heart. Can't wait for the heart to overtake on the next album.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  4. #154
    I have warmed up to "Gunslinger" a bit more since my first couple listens. However, at the end of the day I still prefer "Man Against Machine" as it feels like a more 'complete' album to me. It also has more songs that I genuinely love as opposed to some that I just like and a few I "don't mind." Maybe we've been spoiled by Garth's last few records but ten tracks and well under 40 minutes just feels like a letdown.

  5. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    I have warmed up to "Gunslinger" a bit more since my first couple listens. However, at the end of the day I still prefer "Man Against Machine" as it feels like a more 'complete' album to me. It also has more songs that I genuinely love as opposed to some that I just like and a few I "don't mind." Maybe we've been spoiled by Garth's last few records but ten tracks and well under 40 minutes just feels like a letdown.
    This.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    687
    I wonder how much of the material that was part of what he talked about when he came out of retirement was on the album and how much of that we will see on the next one. Will we see another album this year? He did say in one of his Studio G's how they would be changing up the opening song of his concerts with a song that will the next album he does.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    Yup, I think Sugarcane is awful too. Strangely enough, I do like Bang Bang! Can't exactly say why. But I enjoy listening to it. (Haven't paid much attention to the lyrics yet, to be honest).

    Somehow, to me anyway, this album feels as if it was made with the head more than with the heart. Can't wait for the heart to overtake on the next album.
    Bang Bang has really grown on me too. And I would say it's the opposite, I would say he made MAM with his head and Ggunslinger with his heart. Haha.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Posts
    840
    For me, I agree with Garth....this is one of the most "Garth" albums he's released.

    I liked MAM , but Gunslinger is just way cooler to me.
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    For me, I agree with Garth....this is one of the most "Garth" albums he's released.

    I liked MAM , but Gunslinger is just way cooler to me.
    Completely agree with this.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon..
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Completely agree with this.
    X3

    --spud--

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    For me, I agree with Garth....this is one of the most "Garth" albums he's released.

    I liked MAM , but Gunslinger is just way cooler to me.
    Yep! Agree 100%

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,483
    I don't know if it's the most Garth album ever, as far as him as a person, but I do think it reflects on the most Garth album as an entertainer. I always thought Fresh Horses felt like the most GB album, as a person and his beliefs etc...

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    I don't know if it's the most Garth album ever, as far as him as a person, but I do think it reflects on the most Garth album as an entertainer. I always thought Fresh Horses felt like the most GB album, as a person and his beliefs etc...
    From day one, I have compared this album to be most akin to Fresh Horses, so I think your point is apt.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,438
    Amazon STILL has the Gunslinger CD listed as an add on item! At this point it's been so long that can't be a mistake. They must be really trying to push the digital sales or something crazy like that. Christmas Together, however, you can purchase on its own just fine. I dunno. I wonder how many sales he's lost out on because of this.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 01-26-2017 at 04:39 PM.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    prince edward island, canada
    Posts
    208
    How come Garth doesn't make videos anymore? In this day and age with youtube, you'd think he make something. That along with not really playing any of the new stuff live, it doesn't seem he really pushes the new albums hard as he used to.
    if you could see yourself the way that others do, you'd wish you were as beautiful as you

  16. #166
    With the death of music videos on TV and the rise of streaming music, I don't think there's much of a market for music videos at all. Outside of special projects like Beyonce's Lemonade, I can't even think of a music video in recent memory that made an impact on pop culture.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    With the death of music videos on TV and the rise of streaming music, I don't think there's much of a market for music videos at all. Outside of special projects like Beyonce's Lemonade, I can't even think of a music video in recent memory that made an impact on pop culture.
    Blurred Lines and some of Taylor Swifts videos have made an impact on pop culture, but even then, the #1 place people watch music videos is on YouTube, and we all know how Garth feels about that, so...
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 01-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.

  18. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Blurred Lines and some of Taylor Swifts videos have made an impact on pop culture, but even then, the #1 place people watch music videos is on YouTube, and we all know how Garth feels about that, so...
    I might be wrong since I'm not into much modern music but I'm sure every top 40 artist out there right now makes a point to release videos at this stage and I wished Garth would follow suit but it's his choice.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    687
    The only time I see a music video now is when it's playing on the televison at the local yogurt shop

  20. #170
    Videos still get millions of views online. Even though he is against YouTube, Facebook videos are even more popular these days. He's just totally against putting his music out there for easy or free access.

  21. #171
    Garth could make his videos different. He could add talking or sound effects (like other do) and totally screw up anyone trying to rip from YouTube for the audio of whatever the single is.
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,746
    Quote Originally Posted by gbfansince3 View Post
    Garth could make his videos different. He could add talking or sound effects (like other do)
    This (the part in parentheses in the above quote) is that part that I shake my head at (no offense meant Matt.) " like others do".. When will we realize that (whether we like it or not... whether we agree or not).. Garth is NOT GOING TO 'DO LIKE OTHERS DO'.. we can't keep comparing careers/marketing/music/approaches to his career using the same measuring stick we do for all artists..

    Garth (like it or hate it, love it or leave it) is on a whole other/different plane when it comes to how he 'does things'.. That leads to some boneheaded decisions (like the way he handled his retirement at first IMO, but that's all water under the bridge now..) such as the re-re-re-re-re- releasing of stuff, the inability to promote his new albums during shows (a song here and there isn't promotion... ) the frankly dinosaur and outdated/tempter tantrum type of attitude towards iTunes, and his stance (to an extent) with youtube..

    STILL.. like it or not, Garth does things his own way... lives/breathes his own set of commands.... follows his own path.... and does what he wants.. fans be damned...

    that's the way it's gonna have to be.. we gotta get past the "he could do it like others do...." garth just won't do that, if his history and his words can be taken seriously..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  23. #173
    The whole "inability to promote a new album" thing is what I'm most confused about. This seems to be a new thing. Look at Texas stadium. That was on TV, and STILL included, SOTF, Ain't goin down, Kickin and Screaming, One Night a Day, Honky Tonk Bar,....am I missing any?

    I guess the difference is his new music just isn't relevant now like it was then....the one I don't get is Whiskey to Wine. He could easily do that one like they did a the Ryman. People would go nuts. Rather hear that than In Anithers Eyes anyway. Or how about "The Call"???

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    The whole "inability to promote a new album" thing is what I'm most confused about. This seems to be a new thing. Look at Texas stadium. That was on TV, and STILL included, SOTF, Ain't goin down, Kickin and Screaming, One Night a Day, Honky Tonk Bar,....am I missing any?

    I guess the difference is his new music just isn't relevant now like it was then....the one I don't get is Whiskey to Wine. He could easily do that one like they did a the Ryman. People would go nuts. Rather hear that than In Anithers Eyes anyway. Or how about "The Call"???
    I agree. His complete unwillingness to play the new stufff kills me.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts