+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gunslinger!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Probably depends on the success of the singles from Gunslinger. If they're successful, next fall they would likely be on single #4. I hope they go to 4 singles not only because it'd signal Gunslinger being a huge success, but I think Honkytonk Somewhere would be the top candidate to be #4. I'd love to hear that thing on radio.
    I'm thinking the live stuff he's been talking about will come out next year, with a new studio album to follow in 2018. Just my guess. Obviously, I hope we get a new studio album AND all the live album next year, but we'll have see how it all shakes out.

Does anyone know the track listing for the Target standalone version of Gunslinger?
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Not offhand but I'd assume it's the same as other standalone versions
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Not offhand but I'd assume it's the same as other standalone versions
    I thought Garth said it would have target tracks on it
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

In the USA, the best country in the world
    hmm- I guess it's possible. don't totally know.. I know the LTD edition is exclusive to the box set, don't know spec. if the target tracks are as well
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I got it yesterday and only had a chance to listen once; I like it, and will try to listen again tonight. Hard to just sit and listen to music during the week as I child mind a three-nager!
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Got the Download-Mail from the Bundle/GT one hour ago....

An email from Garth's camp said Gunslinger was going to be $6.99 on Amazon today, it is $8.99 as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by pudge104 View Post
    An email from Garth's camp said Gunslinger was going to be $6.99 on Amazon today, it is $8.99 as far as I can tell.
    The $5 download price is active, but like you I'm waiting for the $6.99 CD prices.

Great to see Gunslinger at no1 on all albums over at amazon!!

Why is the cd not $6.99 om amazon?

So I found something interesting. In the Boxed set thread, I noted a couple days ago how the bass has been boosted way up on the boxed set tracks, If you listen to them side by side with the 2014 remix/remastered versions, you'll notice that they eq'd the bass lines way up in the boxed set. It's okay in a 1-2 songs like Against the Grain, which I've always felt could use a little oomph. But for the vast majority of the tunes, the boosted bass has made them sound almost, well, muddy. All the wonderful clarity that was brought by the 2014 versions is virtually wiped out. It's almost like the songs are just slightly "out of focus". You can't really hear the details of the underlying instrumentation anymore, cause it all gets lost in the mud. And it makes the piano and other details come across as really harsh, and almost distorted. Some songs, like The Cowboy Song, are so overrun by the bass line that you can barely hear anything else. Now I generally tend to like little more bass in songs, but in this case, it ruins them because of how muddy it makes them sound.

So why am I noting this in the Gunslinger thread? Well, it seems they did it to the boxed set version of Gunslinger too. The standard wide-release version, to my ears, is heads and tails clearer and more balanced than the boxed set version. When the box came out a few weeks ago, a bunch of people here mentioned how much they hated the production of the new album because it was hard to hear. Well, to those folks, I recommend that you get the standard edition and give it a spin. I think you'll find that it's better production wise in almost every regard than the version that came in the box.

Can anyone else who has both confirm what I'm hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    So I found something interesting. In the Boxed set thread, I noted a couple days ago how the bass has been boosted way up on the boxed set tracks, If you listen to them side by side with the 2014 remix/remastered versions, you'll notice that they eq'd the bass lines way up in the boxed set. It's okay in a 1-2 songs like Against the Grain, which I've always felt could use a little oomph. But for the vast majority of the tunes, the boosted bass has made them sound almost, well, muddy. All the wonderful clarity that was brought by the 2014 versions is virtually wiped out. It's almost like the songs are just slightly "out of focus". You can't really hear the details of the underlying instrumentation anymore, cause it all gets lost in the mud. And it makes the piano and other details come across as really harsh, and almost distorted. Some songs, like The Cowboy Song, are so overrun by the bass line that you can barely hear anything else. Now I generally tend to like little more bass in songs, but in this case, it ruins them because of how muddy it makes them sound.

So why am I noting this in the Gunslinger thread? Well, it seems they did it to the boxed set version of Gunslinger too. The standard wide-release version, to my ears, is heads and tails clearer and more balanced than the boxed set version. When the box came out a few weeks ago, a bunch of people here mentioned how much they hated the production of the new album because it was hard to hear. Well, to those folks, I recommend that you get the standard edition and give it a spin. I think you'll find that it's better production wise in almost every regard than the version that came in the box.

Can anyone else who has both confirm what I'm hearing?
    Glad I played it smart with my money then.

Thank you for pointing out the differences between the box set and wide release versions of Gunslinger. The album sounds much clearer on the wide release version (to me at least). The biggest differences to my ears were 'Cowboys & Friends' and 'Ask Me How I Know', the latter of which no longer sounds like Garth yelling the lyrics. Much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    Thank you for pointing out the differences between the box set and wide release versions of Gunslinger. The album sounds much clearer on the wide release version (to me at least). The biggest differences to my ears were 'Cowboys & Friends' and 'Ask Me How I Know', the latter of which no longer sounds like Garth yelling the lyrics. Much improved.
    What's different about "Cowboys & Friends?"

Well, I finally called Amazon's promo dep't and asked why the CDs never dropped to $6.99 this weekend as was advertised. They asked where I heard about that price, and I told them it came from Garth and Amazon on Wednesday. The email must have been sent through Amazon's servers, because the customer service rep was actually able to see on her end the email that was sent.

At first she gave me some runaround about the deal only being available on Friday, but I told her that the CD prices never dropped to $6.99. I also showed her that the email says it was all Black Friday weekend, not just Friday. Last, I showed her that the digital prices are still $4.99, indicating that the deal was indeed for the whole weekend and not just Friday. She then tried to tell me 3-4 more times that there was nothing they could do. So I raised a bit of a stink about being a loyal customer and about being very disappointed that they would not honor the price that they advertised. Finally, she apologized for the inconvenience added a $5 promo to my account to use on my next order. With that $5, I ordered the standard edition and the Christmas album for my mom, and the total came to under $13 shipped.

So if you have time tonight, you might call. But just beware that the results may be pretty YMMV.

Anyone else hearing a slight skip/warble in 8teen at about the 2:16 mark? It's on every version I have, Target CD, standard CD, Amazon digital, GhostTunes digital, etc.

Well, I finally called Amazon's promo dep't and asked why the CDs never dropped to $6.99 this weekend as was advertised. They asked where I heard about that price, and I told them it came from Garth and Amazon on Wednesday. The email must have been sent through Amazon's servers, because the customer service rep was actually able to see on her end the email that was sent.

At first she gave me some runaround about the deal only being available on Friday, but I told her that the CD prices never dropped to $6.99. I also showed her that the email says it was all Black Friday weekend, not just Friday. Last, I showed her that the digital prices are still $4.99, indicating that the deal was indeed for the whole weekend and not just Friday. She then tried to tell me 3-4 more times that there was nothing they could do. So I raised a bit of a stink about being a loyal customer and about being very disappointed that they would not honor the price that they advertised. Finally, she apologized for the inconvenience added a $5 promo to my account to use on my next order. With that $5, I ordered the standard edition and the Christmas album for my mom, and the total came to under $13 shipped.

So if you have time tonight, you might call. But just beware that the results may be pretty YMMV.
    I did not have the same experience. I chatted with 2 different representatives and couldn't get anywhere with either. One of the girls actually got the email herself so she knew what I was talking about. They kept saying because the advertisement was from garthbrooks.com and not from amazon, they couldn't honor the price.

Anyone else hearing a slight skip/warble in 8teen at about the 2:16 mark? It's on every version I have, Target CD, standard CD, Amazon digital, GhostTunes digital, etc.
    I don't hear it. (I didn't listen with headphones)
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

"Ask Me How I Know" has been my favorite song, and I have to say - I don't like the 'standard' version at all. I prefer the 'Target' version. For me the difference is in the harmony vocal. In the 'standard' version the harmony vocal is louder, a fraction of a second later, and far more noticeable. Since the Mark Miller takeover the harmony vocals done by Garth have all been too prominent for me, and very distracting. The 'standard' version of this song is the same to my ears. The 'Target' version has them more buried, and not as noticeable up front, which is far easier on my ears.

I haven't listened to the rest of the 'standard' album, just that song since it was pointed out, so I can't give my opinion on other possible 'differences' between the two albums. I didn't even plan on listening to that version of the album at all until that was mentioned. Wasn't even going to download my bundle version, since we had the 'Target' version already, but after hearing there may be differences I had to get it.

I did get a look at the booklet for the 'standard' version. I'm quite disappointed that it is just the cover art from the box set discs. The only thing different is the addition of lyrics/songwriting credits. The biggest disappointment for me had to be the crotch shot of the inside cover. If you want to take a 'buckle' picture, then fine and I get it. But you could take it from a different angle, center the buckle, etc. Not just a shot of your zipper that may include the buckle. Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    I don't hear it. (I didn't listen with headphones)
    Yes, it IS more noticeable if listening through headphones.

Amazon has Gunslinger for $5.00 right now

Amazon has the Gunslinger cd with a free mp3 for $5.

I got the individual album for Christmas and I love it. It's better than MaM. The last album had some good tunes (Mom, AAK, STOB, PLP, SODTR) but the songs on this record fit his style better. I love "Weekend" - good jam for next summer. "Pure Adrenaline" is gonna be a concert favorite, "Whiskey To Wine" reminds me so much of the classic country duets (Lynn/Twitty, Jones/Wynette), "Honky Tonk Somewhere" reminds me of "Cowboy Cadillac" from Sevens, "BLYDAD" reminds me of "Wrapped Up in You," "Cowboys and Frends" sounds like it could have came off No Fences, and "He Really Loves You" goes back to the Seger vibe that he likes so well,"Ask Me How I Know" is a great ballad, and "8teen" is like a short story. "Bang Bang" is the only weak song on the album. I'm listening to it and go "Where's the chorus?"

I just don't see why he didn't credit Trisha on WTW. I found it odd not seeing "The Duet With Trisha Yearwood" next to the title.

IDK, I like MAM better, I do love Ask Me How I Know and Weekdend, also like Pure Adrenaline, He Really Loves You, 8Teen. But song per song, I would choose MAM in a heartbeat.

I am not really warming up to Gunslinger. There are some good songs and then there are few that I really really dislike (Pure Adrenalin is one of them). The only song that I absolutely LOVE is Whiskey To Wine. So all in all, I like MAM better too.

Having said that: I totally LOVE the Christmas album Christmas Together. Listened to it a million times.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

I also listened to and enjoyed CT more than GS so far. Now I'm playing the new disc from the Target Box Set, I love the mix of songs on some of them!

I'm really surprised by the negative reactions to Gunslinger. I agree it has its down-ish moments, but overall, I think its positives far outweigh those few negatives, and that it's a very good sophomore album for the second half.

I'm really surprised by the negative reactions to Gunslinger. I agree it has its down-ish moments, but overall, I think its positives far outweigh those few negatives, and that it's a very good sophomore album for the second half.
    I love Gunslinger! There is only one song on it that I am not crazy about (which I will keep to myself since it could be someone else's favorite), but over all I think it's a great album. I wonder how Pure Adrenaline would have done as a single.

+ Reply to Thread