+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gunslinger!

There may actually be three covers if the Target standalone version ends up having a different cover than the standard edition everyone else gets.

I swear I saw a 1st Edition Logo on one of the regular Gunslinger covers. :-)

I'm a little late here. So, I wake up Friday at about 1300 and head over to the local Target around 1400. My grandson and I walk in and start looking for the box set. A bee line to the music department and I couldn't find it. So, I figure there's probably some big display somewhere, so I look around to no avail. I finally ask a clerk about it and he says he's got them behind the counter (apparently hasn't had the time to put them out yet, whatever). I grab one from him at that point. I then begin looking for the Christmas album, with zero success. I ask again about the Christmas album and he says he knows nothing about it. I double check the shelves and he approaches me and says the computer states there are seven in the back room and he'll go find it for me.

So much for Target going all out on this Garth campaign. I'm sure every store was not guilty, but wow. I'm not a fan of Target for a lot of different reasons and I wasn't happy that Garth chose Target to do this with, but hey, it's his gig. I pray I never have to return there again. (That being said, the young man was very nice and helpful)

I remember when he had the exclusive with WalMart when the Lost Sessions came out. They did it right as far as I could tell at my local store.

I thought Gunslinger was only available in the box set as of right now. Am I wrong about this?

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    I'm a little late here. So, I wake up Friday at about 1300 and head over to the local Target around 1400. My grandson and I walk in and start looking for the box set. A bee line to the music department and I couldn't find it. So, I figure there's probably some big display somewhere, so I look around to no avail. I finally ask a clerk about it and he says he's got them behind the counter (apparently hasn't had the time to put them out yet, whatever). I grab one from him at that point. I then begin looking for the Christmas album, with zero success. I ask again about the Christmas album and he says he knows nothing about it. I double check the shelves and he approaches me and says the computer states there are seven in the back room and he'll go find it for me.

So much for Target going all out on this Garth campaign. I'm sure every store was not guilty, but wow. I'm not a fan of Target for a lot of different reasons and I wasn't happy that Garth chose Target to do this with, but hey, it's his gig. I pray I never have to return there again. (That being said, the young man was very nice and helpful)

I remember when he had the exclusive with WalMart when the Lost Sessions came out. They did it right as far as I could tell at my local store.
    When I went to get mine at the store I know that I had to ask about them- the clerk knew right where it ws, and had the christmas cd and the box set , and I was able to get it no problem. Honestly I just don't think Garth's 'announcements' and 'exclusives with target' etc. are as important as he, or some fans, would think/want to have as reality.. Heck, Target's music selection as a whole shrunk in the last month or so it seems- they have 1 shelf (2 sideS) for the entire supply...

Gunslinger, charlie, (btw) is only available right now through the boxed set.. it's set to be released I believe on 11/25 in separate packaging
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I don't know about Friday but Saturday morning Target in North Knoxville had only 2 Christmas Together CDs left on a endcaps next to several copies of the box set. They also had a cardboard display up front by the registers.

The target I went to had a rather large display with at least 15-20 sets (I'm lowballing) next to the "music" section so it had its own floor space.

Love Target if I had to choose between that and Walmart which is horrid, at least in my town.

Oh duh, I knew that...Brain fart! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    When I went to get mine at the store I know that I had to ask about them- the clerk knew right where it ws, and had the christmas cd and the box set , and I was able to get it no problem. Honestly I just don't think Garth's 'announcements' and 'exclusives with target' etc. are as important as he, or some fans, would think/want to have as reality.. Heck, Target's music selection as a whole shrunk in the last month or so it seems- they have 1 shelf (2 sideS) for the entire supply...

Gunslinger, charlie, (btw) is only available right now through the boxed set.. it's set to be released I believe on 11/25 in separate packaging
    I really think some of that has to do with the fact that CDs are becoming obsolete. Even since he put out LostSsessions, the ultimate hits, etc., CDs have become more and more difficult to find. Digital downloads has taken over, and at least Garth has finally jumped on board.

I did see both versions of TUH, with LAST PRESSING stickers on them on my hunt.

I know someone mentioned that it is odd that gunslinger is in a case with another CD. I was even more sad to see that there was no liner notes booklet for gunslinger with the lyrics, writers, etc. Minus the dedications in the front, the band stats and thank you info in the back of the box handout look like the same as the blame it all on my roots set. Anyone know if there will be a gunslinger liner notes booklet if it is bought individually?

I'm sure the regular release will have a booklet with it. It's sad that they did have room to put Gunslinger in by itself but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    I really think some of that has to do with the fact that CDs are becoming obsolete.
    I'd wager youre right there

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    I'm sure the regular release will have a booklet with it. It's sad that they did have room to put Gunslinger in by itself but didn't.

I'm with Bitter on this one- I'd bet that it'll have a 'booklet' instead of the 1 pc of paper we received with the box set

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I see both sides of the booklet and combined disc. Cost wise to keep Boxed set low cost, I can see why they combined. It is a special edition for those who wanted the CD early and the rereleased stuff. I see this as an introduction to new fans and old fans who collect his stuff by CD and covers not just a new song. The release on the 25th is the official CD and release date. I am sure the extra added sales from those who didn't want to wait for the official date (25th) and will get both is smart marketing. Those who buy both do so on their own. I think that many discs (10) is a great draw for newer fans who are discovering Garth. A $30 set versus a $50 set is a no brainer. I am on a tight budget so I plan on using the boxed set as something I would have done (gone out to dinner, a movie etc) instead. That $30 is about par for a movie or dinner. You fight your battles and decide, do I want boxed set or Friday at the bar or movies. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I'm with Bitter on this one- I'd bet that it'll have a 'booklet' instead of the 1 pc of paper we received with the box set
    In the mean time though, is there any PGer who has started typing out/compliling the lyrics of the songs from Gunslinger? There are several lines in several songs I can't make out to make sure I'm singing the right words. As well as the fact that as a musician/artist myself, I can figure out the music without issue, but getting all the lyrics together would be a huge help if anyone has already done this.

There were high res covers posted for the box on Target and USA Today's websites, which I saved, but haven't seen one for the First Edition of Gunslinger. Has anyone seen that cover anywhere?

I uploaded a quick scan of my Gunslinger cover if one wants it
    https://s17.postimg.org/izc0qr3qn/gunslingercover.jpg

Real quick...I'm guessing the ghosttunes bundle won't include Gunslinger for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Why Missouri View Post
    Real quick...I'm guessing the ghosttunes bundle won't include Gunslinger for some reason?
    No I think Garth said in either Billboard or Rolling Stone that the bundle WILL include the album (no Target tracks tho) so he can fulfill all pending orders and take his catalog away from Ghosttunes next year.

So if you got the bundle you will get the album then its a safe bet that Ghosttunes closes early next year.

So make sure you have your digital files backed up because once Ghosttunes is gone, that's it I reckon!

Cool...thanks!

Songwriters

Anyone know if the songwriters have been listed anywhere online? Garth is typically so thankful and proud of the songwriters on the songs, much more so than many artists these days. Really bummed that they didn't get listed in this box set. Honestly a huge oversight in my opinion.

(Also "Lonesome" is spelled wrong in the Cowboys section )

Edit to add: The back of the box simply calls "Gunslinger" - "New Album"...seems like a placeholder that got missed in graphic design. Really disappointed with how rushed the packaging seems on this thing.
    Last edited by LilWhiteTankTop; 11-15-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    -Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by LilWhiteTankTop View Post
    Really disappointed with how rushed the packaging seems on this thing.
    hmm- will have to look and see if my set has those errors..

if they do, or it's a mass thing, yeah it is disappointing since Garth talked about how long this has taken to come to fruition

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by LilWhiteTankTop View Post
    Anyone know if the songwriters have been listed anywhere online? Garth is typically so thankful and proud of the songwriters on the songs, much more so than many artists these days. Really bummed that they didn't get listed in this box set. Honestly a huge oversight in my opinion.

(Also "Lonesome" is spelled wrong in the Cowboys section )

Edit to add: The back of the box simply calls "Gunslinger" - "New Album"...seems like a placeholder that got missed in graphic design. Really disappointed with how rushed the packaging seems on this thing.
    Just caught that error myself
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

I was looking through the booklets that came with the other 3 boxsets. They are so high quality with good info. I felt Garth always took special care with presentation of his art.
    I am wondering if Garth has a new "team" or it's just the label. Even the 2 disc 2016 version of UH has a typo with the word "New" next to the wrong song.
    There are so many songs spelled differently on the new box than his other albums and zero info in the booklet.
    The whole Gunslinger presentation is definitively the most disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by pudge104 View Post
    I was looking through the booklets that came with the other 3 boxsets. They are so high quality with good info. I felt Garth always took special care with presentation of his art.
    I am wondering if Garth has a new "team" or it's just the label. Even the 2 disc 2016 version of UH has a typo with the word "New" next to the wrong song.
    There are so many songs spelled differently on the new box than his other albums and zero info in the booklet.
    The whole Gunslinger presentation is definitively the most disappointing.
    Agreed but I think with regards to the poor quality (compared to the other boxset booklets) of the UC booklet is due to keeping costs down. That and I would wager that his boxset probably came to fruition within the last few months so QC was compromised as well.

Finally I had no idea there was a 2016 version of The Ultimate Hits, the copies I've seen in stores all are from 2014/Legacy.

If there is a 2016 version I wonder if it uses the remixes....

Finally got my boxed set today!

Overall, I'm happy with Gunslinger.

Here's what Gunslinger proves to me...Garth has still "got it." Right after Man Against Machine came out, I thought to myself that it was a "hey everybody...just wanted to let you know I'm back" album. It was not possible nor do I know if it would have been smart to put out a "No Fences" caliber album straight out of retirement. I think it would have gotten lost.

That being said, I think Garth still has a "No Fences/Ropin' the Wind/whatever album you love" album in him. Gunslinger is a step in the right direction. Definitely better than MAM in my opinion. I really think he's still kinda figuring things out. Figuring out what will sell, what he will enjoy singing, what the fans want, etc.

For those who are disappointed, I wonder what their reaction would be if Garth would have just said one night on Opening Night Live, "Surprise...I'm dropping an album tomorrow." What if he had no talk, no build up, no nothing. I wonder if people would be loving Gunslinger more? The problem is, Garth does talk a lot... "this song is special...the lyrics to this song are amazing...etc." I think we, as Garth fans, tend to make stuff bigger than possible.

I truly, truly think the next album...which we all know is already taking shape...will be "the" album that everybody is waiting for. Gunslinger will earn it's spot with the others for me...where, I'm not sure. However, it will get played more than MAM does.

All of that said, Garth, for the love...please do not ever record a song like Bang!Bang! again.

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Finally got my boxed set today!

Overall, I'm happy with Gunslinger.

Here's what Gunslinger proves to me...Garth has still "got it." Right after Man Against Machine came out, I thought to myself that it was a "hey everybody...just wanted to let you know I'm back" album. It was not possible nor do I know if it would have been smart to put out a "No Fences" caliber album straight out of retirement. I think it would have gotten lost.

That being said, I think Garth still has a "No Fences/Ropin' the Wind/whatever album you love" album in him. Gunslinger is a step in the right direction. Definitely better than MAM in my opinion. I really think he's still kinda figuring things out. Figuring out what will sell, what he will enjoy singing, what the fans want, etc.

For those who are disappointed, I wonder what their reaction would be if Garth would have just said one night on Opening Night Live, "Surprise...I'm dropping an album tomorrow." What if he had no talk, no build up, no nothing. I wonder if people would be loving Gunslinger more? The problem is, Garth does talk a lot... "this song is special...the lyrics to this song are amazing...etc." I think we, as Garth fans, tend to make stuff bigger than possible.

I truly, truly think the next album...which we all know is already taking shape...will be "the" album that everybody is waiting for. Gunslinger will earn it's spot with the others for me...where, I'm not sure. However, it will get played more than MAM does.

All of that said, Garth, for the love...please do not ever record a song like Bang!Bang! again.
    My thoughts EXACTLY

Yeah, I'm also really hoping that the next album is where he really finds his footing again. He's mentioned it a few times now, so I wonder how far along that album is. Will he try to get it out next year? Or do you think that's too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by mdewater View Post
    Yeah, I'm also really hoping that the next album is where he really finds his footing again. He's mentioned it a few times now, so I wonder how far along that album is. Will he try to get it out next year? Or do you think that's too soon?
    Probably depends on the success of the singles from Gunslinger. If they're successful, next fall they would likely be on single #4. I hope they go to 4 singles not only because it'd signal Gunslinger being a huge success, but I think Honkytonk Somewhere would be the top candidate to be #4. I'd love to hear that thing on radio.

+ Reply to Thread