+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Single: Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    Lashing out doesn't contribute to the conversation. It's a song. Some like it, some don't.
    Agreed. Personally, I like the song. But I of course respect that others might not.

In fact, I am genuinely and sincerely interested about what Outcast means when he says he can't support the song because it interferes with his personal conscience. Are you referring to the lyrics? The type of song it is? Both?

If you're comfortable doing so, please elaborate.

Stop. Reset. Otherwise, this thread will be buried.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I will say, I don't really like the "message" of the song.. It speaks to "dang, this girl's crazy good looking, come on, let's go to bed together.. I'm single now, I can't think of anything but having sex with you when i see you.." (it's an oversexed man song..)

BUT......

The guitar, the music,, the more I hear it, it's growing on me.. (dare I say it quicker than PLP did?) I just gotta get the chords down.. (ManAgainstMachine??? PM Me w/ chords? )
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I will say, I don't really like the "message" of the song.. It speaks to "dang, this girl's crazy good looking, come on, let's go to bed together.. I'm single now, I can't think of anything but having sex with you when i see you.." (it's an oversexed man song..)

BUT......

The guitar, the music,, the more I hear it, it's growing on me.. (dare I say it quicker than PLP did?) I just gotta get the chords down.. (ManAgainstMachine??? PM Me w/ chords? )
    I agree. Couldn't they have named it Baby, Let's Go Out and Dance? It'd sure eliminate the cringe factor.

They asked him on one of the morning radio interviews yesterday about it being suggestive. He just said "yeah, it is". Then talked about it being a summer album.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    I agree. Couldn't they have named it Baby, Let's Go Out and Dance? It'd sure eliminate the cringe factor.
    It's meant to be a play on the phrase "let's get up and dance."

I completely agree... I LOVE the music and melody, but if they had just changed the lyrics so it was about a husband and wife (a la "Two of a Kind") chasing each other around, it'd be tons more fun and a lot less creepy.

This isn't the first time Garth has sang about this idea of going for it immediately after meeting though. Everytime That it Rains, Which One of Them, Mr. Right, Rodeo or Mexico, and Midnight Sun all have similar ideas going on.

Not saying that makes it any better, or less objectionable. Just saying that for Garth, it's not new. Still, I wish this one wasn't so "overt".
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 10-14-2016 at 06:42 PM.

I mean, it's not nearly as sex-fueled as "That Summer" or even "Ain't Going Down" (1 o'clock the truck is rock in', 2 is comin' still no stoppin') so I don't really see how this song is any different.

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    It's meant to be a play on the phrase "let's get up and dance."
    a play on the words doesn't mean that it's not suggestive.. It MAY be a play on the words, but the phrase used, is basically - let's go have sex...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

How is it any different than what other artists do like Big and Rich's save a horse, ride a cowboy.
    Or is because when other suggestive garth songs came out, most of the members here were a lot younger and more open to the idea, now that we are much older, not so much. This will probably be the track right after the song 18. I like BLLDAD anyway.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Yeah, sex has always been a predominant theme in Garth's music.

And you're right. This song is not all that different from Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy, and a million other songs out there going back to the earliest days of rock and country. But for some folks, the theme of "hey we just met, let's bang" can be objectionable no matter who is singing.

"That Summer" is a great example of a song where I simply adore the music and melody, but in which don't particularly like the lyrical theme of an older woman devouring an underage boy.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 10-14-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    a play on the words doesn't mean that it's not suggestive.. It MAY be a play on the words, but the phrase used, is basically - let's go have sex...
    Is it any worse than The Dixie Chicks saying mattress dancing in the song "Sin Wagon"

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    How is it any different than what other artists do like Big and Rich's save a horse, ride a cowboy.
    Or is because when other suggestive garth songs came out, most of the members here were a lot younger and more open to the idea, now that we are much older, not so much. This will probably be the track right after the song 18. I like BLLDAD anyway.
    Don'y believe I (or anyone else?) has said anything about it being any different than anything else an artist is doing- diff. doesn't make it appropriate... or less suggestive, etc..

Btw- I ALSO happen to like BLLDAD.. The guitar and the music? definitely. The MESSAGE? not so much... but the song's good.. you don't nec. HAVE to like the MESSAGE of the song to like the song itself (else, why would I like "plaster caster" by KISS, Strawberry Wine by Deana Carter, etc..)

Quote Originally Posted by Wimpy77
    Is it any worse than The Dixie Chicks saying mattress dancing in the song "Sin Wagon"
    Never said anything about anything being better or worse.. simply that I didn't' like the message of the song, wimpy..

But the Ditzy Twits? little to nothing they do is good.. IMO

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Yeah, sex has always been a predominant theme in Garth's music.
    true

And you're right. This song is not all that different from Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy, and a million other songs out there going back to the earliest days of rock and country. But for some folks, the theme of "hey we just met, let's bang" can be objectionable no matter who is singing.
    long sermon type speeches aside, exactly.. though it is another indicative measure of a fallen society

"That Summer" is a great example of a song where I simply adore the music and melody, but in which don't particularly like the lyrical theme of an older woman devouring an underage boy.
    Amen to that...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Agreed. Personally, I like the song. But I of course respect that others might not.

In fact, I am genuinely and sincerely interested about what Outcast means when he says he can't support the song because it interferes with his personal conscience. Are you referring to the lyrics? The type of song it is? Both?

If you're comfortable doing so, please elaborate.
    First off I want to extend an apology for my outburst earlier this morning and I also apologize for the late response I just needed time to get away and cool off.

To answer your question: pretty much everything about the song turned me off, I found absolutely no redeeming quality with it. I even tried to play this song along with "Free" by Jack Ingram (Big Dreams and High Hopes album) but all it did was just make it worse. I would put my opinion on why I especially don't like the lyrics but I feel it would come out a little too coarse and vulgar. But what I can tell you is that the quality was nowhere NEAR up to the level of Ain't Going Down, That Summer or even Rodeo or Mexico, that's how flat I feel this song was.

In a way, I'm getting a little too spoiled by Texas Country and the Independent Scene to the point where I was hoping Garth would keep doing what he did best and that's breaking the rules. This song did none of that, if anything this song was like playing with Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders.

So again I do apologize for my angry outburst to Wimpy, Medic, Sevens and DuckStreet.

After a typically huge iHeart premiere day of 1201 spins, BLLDAD got 136 spins yesterday and moved up to 37 on the radio play chart. By comparison, Brad Paisley's 'Today' got only 12 spins on the day following his iHeart premiere last week. Doesn't really tell us much, but it's notable none the less. Official adds date for BLLDAD is Monday!

It's won both nights here locally in Knoxville on The Q 100.3.

Really like the new song, its growing on me everytime I listen to it.

153 spins yesterday up from 136 on Friday. Up to #35 in airplay.

Would you say that's pretty good?

Quote Originally Posted by G&TTreknTech77 View Post
    Any increase is a positive. It's off to a solid start.

Quote Originally Posted by G&TTreknTech77 View Post
    The mediabase chart will be the real test.

Heard it for the 1st time on traditional radio today...hope to continue to hear it played. Great song

lol- I heard it myself yesterday on traditional radio- was going to church with a friend, and was wading through the crap that is current country music on the radio.. as I was getting ready to turn it off to something else, up came BLLDAD.... gotta say, it was a nice touch to hear it on the radio...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    The mediabase chart will be the real test.
    Debuts at #33 on the mediabase chart. We'll start to get a better picture on Friday after all of the iHeart premiere spins disappear. It'll drop for certain, but the hope for me would be for it to stay near the top 40.

not to bring too much of a controversial spin back to the thread, and away from the thread's new direction (the ranking/standing/etc. of the song with the charts, etc.) but it was interesting on my yt homepage tonight, to see the video that popped up. I won't say who, as honestly I don't nec. want to direct traffic their way. Yet, essentially people who said stuff about #1 the song's meaning (the discussion we've had earlier in this thread about the sex portion of the song, etc.) and complained about the album in any way were essentially told the 'get over it'.. 'they complain too much', etc.. interesting.. seeing as how the main place I've seen talk about the album was here at pg, and the video that popped up is from a pg member ... (but doesn't mention PG directly, and also does admit to this being their opinion...)..

just an interesting point. I'd love to say more about it, but don't want to deflect more off of the good trajectory this thread was back to taking... will have to re-watch to the video again, before deciding about what if any reply to make... or if better to just let it go away....

just information here...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

'Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance' got 99 radio adds this week, which is a huge number. The last song to get more was Kenny Chesney featuring Pink 'Setting the World on Fire' with 115 on August 1st. 'Setting the World on Fire' will likely be the #1 country airplay song this upcoming week.

Adds aren't a measure of how a song will do in the long term (see PLP), but it's good to see radio is giving him the respect of a mega-star. Now, let's see those spins!
    Last edited by DuckStreetCowboy; 10-17-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Fascinating bit from All Access that goes out to all of the radio programmers and radio types. BLLDAD is the Spotlight Track of the week.

Here it is:

"Garth Brooks has a new single out. I'm sure you've heard it by now. You've likely even played it on air already -- at least, I hope so. Because, if you've not heard, Garth Brooks now holds the most RIAA Diamond Certifications of any artist ever with seven. So, maybe that earns him some street cred. So, let's just skip ahead and assume you played it out of the gate. Maybe you spun it a few times when it dropped on Thursday, October 13th. Maybe you even played it every hour. And that's great! But the real question is -- now what? Does it deserve an add? You bet. Does it deserve regular airplay? Absolutely. But why? Because we need Garth Brooks. Not only as the superstar face of our format -- that just so happens to cross generations and demos -- but as the anchor on our pendulum. You see, in recent months, we've seen a slow and steady swing of our format pendulum as it heads back toward center. Artists like Chris Young, Eric Church, and Justin Moore have been joined by newcomers like Jon Pardi, William Michael Morgan, and Chris Stapleton as chart regulars. Paisley, McGraw, and Chesney are still in the mix, too. We're seeing more and more of a pivot toward the traditional-leaning base of our format, and concert ticket sales are echoing the sentiment. Garth is bringing new music with a fresh take on his signature sound. I've heard some programmers liken #BabyLetsDance to Garth classics like "Standing Outside The Fire" and "Wrapped Up In You." That can't be a bad thing, right? And with flirtatious, quirky lyrics and an upbeat tempo, this track is built for radio. "I get this feeling that I can't explain / Every time I see your face or hear your name / I just go crazy / Thinking baby, this may be my chance / What would you say to me / If I said 'Baby, let's lay down and dance?' // When it comes to love, my heart is black and it's blue / Swore was through with romance / But girl you're something, and I'm counting on you / You're my brand new second chance." Is this a hit song? Really, only your listeners can decide that. But I'm betting that the thousands upon thousands of people lining up in each market for 4, 6, 8, and even 10 shows in a single city would be more than willing to give Garth a brand new second chance. Put it in -- give it plenty of daylight -- and watch it grow. Then, let's all sit back and watch that pendulum swing ever-closer to center. Either way, Garth will be there, along for the ride and pushing the format, and always ready for the dance."
    Last edited by DuckStreetCowboy; 10-17-2016 at 06:45 PM.

BLLDAD debuted at #19 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart. The same spot as People Loving People. It entered at #36 on the Hot Country Songs Chart (That chart includes streaming and digital sales numbers.)

http://www.billboard.com/charts/country-airplay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    BLLDAD debuted at #19 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart. The same spot as People Loving People. It entered at #36 on the Hot Country Songs Chart (That chart includes streaming and digital sales numbers.)

http://www.billboard.com/charts/country-airplay
    Good for Garth, let's hope this has stronger legs than PLP (a song I love but can see why it would flop at radio).

Are the Fritos downloads being counted as sales?

+ Reply to Thread