+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Single: Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Please tell me I'm not the only one that was not impressed with that bass guitar solo? I thought it was playing to the Metro-Bro trend on radio and I thought that was a dumb move.
    LOL.. I was just getting ready to say how much I enjoyed the prominent bass sound during the instrumental.

Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    I miss Allen Reynolds.
    Like button....

Also, heard on either the Highway or Garth Channel that some of Justin Timberlake's band came in and played on this. My guess is that is the bass that you are hearing.
    Last edited by mbarker; 10-13-2016 at 10:40 AM.

This is an interesting discussion.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and so Garth, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Mark Chestnut, Reba, Sawyer Brown... those were the artists I listened to and liked.

My dad, however, hated most of those artists. Oh sure he liked an occasional song here and there, but even then he'd say it was all just "faux country", especially Garth. Even George Strait was too "modern" and "new country" for my Dad's tastes. All the time, he'd say, "all these songs are too commercial and radio friendly." He preferred Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, Johnny Horton, and other artists from his era. About the only artist from 90s that my dad really liked was Randy Travis.

It's interesting now to see folks who grew up in the 90s complain about how today's artists aren't real country, just like my dad used to complain about the artists in the 90s.

I guess Jeff Foxworthy is right. We all ride along the fashion train but then one day, we say "that's it, I ain't going any further, let me off." Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    LOL.. I was just getting ready to say how much I enjoyed the prominent bass sound during the instrumental.
    Yay... someone else who likes it!

Am I the only one hearing some Michael Jackson (something of "Thriller") and Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" (the solo) in this song?

I love it, can't wait to hear it live. Gonna be a lot of fun. It's on repeat. Let's dance.

Quote Originally Posted by gbfevernorway View Post
    Am I the only one hearing some Michael Jackson (something of "Thriller") and Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" (the solo) in this song?
    Wow, what part of the song reminds you of that?

The song has really grown on me. I think it has a good chance on radio. The lyrics are a little weird..his heart is broken and he likes another girl and wants to have sex with her? Oookay.

Production wise I think it sounds great. I don't think we can underestimate the importance to Garth that it is a Kim Williams co-write as well as the prominence of Mike Chapman's bass.

Cool article on it here:
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/ente...ngle/91988588/

I try very, very hard to be positive about everything, but I got to say I'm slightly disappointed. It's not that the song is bad, I just don't think it's that good. It's just middle of the road, OK material for me. That being said, I'm hoping this was simply the "safe" choice for radio and that the album is much stronger. I also know my listening habits. Songs have a tendency to grow on me over time and I'm sure this song will do the same, at least I hope it does.

All that being said, I'm just glad Garth seems to be everywhere. From the big shows in Nashville (Ryman, 7 Diamond Show), the 10-disc box set, the Christmas album, the Yankee Stadium TV special, a new single, anniversary edition of No Fences (which I assume will have new version of FILP), etc. This is the kind of roll out I expected for Man Against Machine. Nice to see this new record getting this kind of treatment.

I'm loving this new song.

This new album is going to be special.
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

I love it! It's fun, catchy, Garth sounds good, the music is great. I'm happy and can see this performing better than PLP though it will probably climb slowly.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    I know I really have to listen to it again... but a thought .. . could the bass line being so prominent ( ) be a bit of respect/homage for the bass player who passed away recently
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I know I really have to listen to it again... but a thought .. . could the bass line being so prominent ( ) be a bit of respect/homage for the bass player who passed away recently
    I thought the exact same thing! Of course, assuming that is him and not Timberlake's band as someone above suggested.

On first listen, the single doesn't leap out at me at all, PLP had a more direct impact.

I'm not writing it off just yet and it sounds like something that could fit into modern country playlists but it could also get lost in a sea of similarly sounding tunes.

Will import into my iPhone later today and listen on my commute home.

And as for missing Allen Reynolds, here here!

I think a left field choice would be someone like Jimmy Ritchey who's cut hits for Clay Walker and Jake Owen but has also crafted solid albums for newcomer William Michael Morgan (he just hit number 1 with his debut single I believe) and Mark Chesnutt (he's made some AMAZING stone cold country records with this guy).

A great producer that can tow the line between modern country and modern traditional.

If people think this is bro country then you don't know what bro country is. This is in the vain of country r&b. This should get him on radio but I don't know how far it will go on the charts.

With the heavy bass featured in the song maybe Garth decided this as the first single as a tribute to Mike Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    Wow, what part of the song reminds you of that?
    Also, at 1.55-2.00 I can clearly hear something that reminids me of Michael Jackson and the song Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough.

I know it's a somewhat common phrase, but does anyone think the "victim of circumstance" line is a nod to Billy Joel?

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    I know it's a somewhat common phrase, but does anyone think the "victim of circumstance" line is a nod to Billy Joel?

Ya know, I had a chance to listen to the song about 10 times or a so in a row on my way home from work just a little bit ago- I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING.. "victim of your circumstance" A definite nod to Billy Joel (and the song "my life") even if diff tune

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Just listened to the song, liked it, very radio friendly. Great that you can recognize its Garth. Will do well at Radio. Great first up single.
    I think for the type of song it is, the album doesn't need another song like it on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by gbfevernorway View Post

I think you may be the only one (at least as far as thriller is concerned.. I've not heard the paul simon song) there.. I hear no michael jackson at all....

Hmm- my tune (lol) is changing somewhat on the song.. It's catchy.. I like it... (or at least am starting to like it more).. It's def. not "classic Garth" as it were... but it's not the darkness kinda tone that to me MAM seemed to have... this is def. more light hearted and 'fun'.. 'summer' if you will.. I am not TOTALLY sold on it, but it's def. radio friendly in really every way.. I would love to hear what the jam session/just guitars type of thing produced/the songwriting sessions totally on this one. I def. do like it more than I did this morning.. can catch myself singing along to it..

The school teacher in me is annoyed w/ the grammatical mistakes, but that's I guess something that can be lived with

Awaiting ManAgainstMachine's cover to be on YT!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

2 things -

A video that mentions Justin Timberlake's player (and Keith Urban's) playing onthe song is here https://www.facebook.com/981KVETAUSTIN/ (Also talks about the digital/streaming announcement happening in the next week)

Also, I think the main thing about this song - it grows on you. Will radio give it enough airplay that it grows on people?

He came to play with this song. It's not preachy like People Lovin People (which We Shall Be Free didn't do good on the charts either so no surprise that that one did nothing). And the tune stays in your head the rest of the day. It's the kind of song he should have started out with a couple of years ago.

I really like it. I hope radio keeps playing it. To me it kinda reminds me of "Wrapped Up In You " for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by garthrules1 View Post
    I really like it. I hope radio keeps playing it. To me it kinda reminds me of "Wrapped Up In You " for some reason.
    I agree, I was about to write, this song could've been on the album scarecrow.

After doing some thinking yesterday, I've come to accept the fact that some of you guys like the song and as far as me is concerned it's okay. But the more I listen to it, the more it interferes with my personal conscience. I cannot find myself to support this song, I expected something a little bit more than what I was hearing and just to have that hope crushed on Wednesday, I just can't support what I'm not feeling with this song.

I wish all of you guys luck in supporting this song and getting it played on the radio but this is one you're going to have to do without me.

After doing some thinking yesterday, I've come to accept the fact that some of you guys like the song and as far as me is concerned it's okay. But the more I listen to it, the more it interferes with my personal conscience. I cannot find myself to support this song, I expected something a little bit more than what I was hearing and just to have that hope crushed on Wednesday, I just can't support what I'm not feeling with this song.

I wish all of you guys luck in supporting this song and getting it played on the radio but this is one you're going to have to do without me.
    So people should support what you like? So music should be what you think it should be? From posts I've from you on this subject, I really think you need to take a chill pill.
    Last edited by wimpy77; 10-14-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Filed under "people that take music too seriously".

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    so people should support what you like? So music should be what you think it should be? From posts i've from you on this subject, i really think you need to take a chill pill.
    If you got a problem with my opinion kiss my ass!

Lashing out doesn't contribute to the conversation. It's a song. Some like it, some don't.

+ Reply to Thread