+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Single: Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    I agree. People want it there way. If you want to be played on radio then you have to make something radio will play.

Thats' true- and based on casual observances of the playlists of (at least) my local country radio.. Garth's not being played.. he'll have to adapt his music if Radio is his goal... (which stinks, based on the bro country crap that infects the radio currently)

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast
    For the record: I actually LIKED People Loving People, I thought it was a cross between We Shall Be Free and Standing Outside the Fire and I cannot tell you how angry I got over the idiots that were bashing that song. My opinion it was probably his best one since More Than a Memory.
    I won't say I thought it was the best since MTAM, but I honestly liked PLP too- took a while to grow on me, but it did eventually... it was def. a sequel to WSBF if not literally, than spiritually... Not radio friendly (really) but still a good song..

And I'm sorry if me being picky and opinionated about this genre offends y'all, but by God if I'm smelling a ****-up I'm gonna speak my mind and say it.
    The best and most honest fandoms are ones that accept those who may have slightly divergent opinions..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Sigh. Skywise is right. If some folks here don't like the single, then of course they should be able to say so without fear of being criticized or shouted down. We're not talking about Star Wars after all.

I'm just currently so off-the-charts excited about the new album, that any criticism (even if warranted) comes across as a major buzzkill. But that's on me, not anyone else.

Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Sigh. Skywise is right. If some folks here don't like the single, then of course they should be able to say so without fear of being criticized or shouted down. We're not talking about Star Wars after all.
    HEY NOW- DON'T MESS W/ STAR WARS! just joking w/ ya there..

I'm just currently so off-the-charts excited about the new album, that any criticism (even if warranted) comes across as a major buzzkill. But that's on me, not anyone else.

Carry on...
    I hear ya on the excitement- for me it's funny- its' NOT as over the top exciting as MAM was for me.. but then again that's due to me not having As long of a wait this time. Still, it's def exciting. to the point that I'm trying to decide JUST how to get to target as early as possible, can I go run an errand during my off hour at the school where I'm subbing, etc.. I wouldn't be driving to school that day (as I'm subbing close to my house) but I think I will be this time.. for Garth- so I can get out to target... EARLY. . (dang I miss midnight sales )

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Listening to the clip on Studio G "Lay Down and Dance" isn't my favorite sound initially. That being said, PLP really grew on me and I can't help but hum and sing along every time now. Most people I talked to when his MAM came out felt like he should have come out with something that sounded "more country." I can't wait to hear the whole tune. I'm sure it will grow on me! Excited for new music!
    "Just keep taking chances and having fun."

According to my Calendar, Nov 11 is Veterans Day, so I'll actually be off work. My plan is to be at Target when it opens, and then spend the day listening to every new song in the collection as many times as I can before I get to Richmond, VA, where I will be 3 rows off the stage for my 3rd Garth show this tour.

So yeah, Nov 11 can't come soon enough.

Man- I WISH I could be off for work- I'll be subbing in a high school, for a teacher I dearly love, but Its still not known when I'll be off for off periods- to see if I an go to target

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I am afraid we were spoiled with Pure Adrenaline. That song does live up to what he is saying about a live feeling album. The other songs are not sounding like that. I think that is where we are afraid we will be disappointed.

My only issue is people criticizing a song they haven't even heard yet. The short snippet we heard over an iPad IN a video just doesn't cut it. No one knows what the final product is going to sound like. Being critical is silly at this point. Save it for tomorrow and then be as critical as you want when you've actually heard the whole song.

Two and a half minutes isn't very long for a radio single. Short songs always seem incomplete to me. Wrong About You is one of my favorite songs off MAM but it was/is in serious need of another verse

Taste of Country was, as we say around here, "very sweet" to the song.
    "Garth has returned, and this time, he’s brought music the marketplace is ready for"

Read More: Garth Brooks, 'Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance' | http://tasteofcountry.com/garth-broo...ckback=tsmclip

99.5 The Wolf in Dallas is advertising that the Garth fun begins tomorrow at 6:08 am tomorrow! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Taste of Country was, as we say around here, "very sweet" to the song.
    "Garth has returned, and this time, hes brought music the marketplace is ready for"

Read More: Garth Brooks, 'Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance' | http://tasteofcountry.com/garth-broo...ckback=tsmclip
    Great review!

I dunno folks, having now heard the single, and based on everything else we've heard, I'm starting to get a VERY good feeling about this album!!!

Heard it a few minutes ago. I love it and am more excited than ever for the new album!!
    You know failure isn't failure
    If a lesson from it's learned

Hmm.. I need to listen to it more... but after having heard it once...

Doesn't jump right out and GRAB me as "oh yeah!!! LET'S GO!!!" I also don't hate it either.

It's definitely more 'radio friendly' than PLP was last time around.. no comparisons though between the two, honestly- two diff. styles. It may have been my headphones, but Garth's voice wasn't as much of a BAM! I'm here! type of voice..

Overall though? It's right around 3 minutes (I think it clocks in at 2:53.. ) ... it's Garth, it's new.. I gotta listen more than once...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Listen to Garth Brooks - 'Baby, Let's Lay Down And Dance' | World Premiere
    http://www.iheart.com/news/listen-to...lets-15197904/

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    ...he’s brought music the marketplace is ready for"

that's one thing I'll say after hearing it- it's def. more what the 'marketplace' is ready for

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

After a good 8 or 9 listens I can say that I don't hate it. But that's about it. I can't say I really 'like' it much either. I'm not a fan of the vocal at all, the harmony drives me insane. It's what I expected though with their strategy to get more radio play out of the box - a safe, up-tempo song that on any other album would just be an album cut. It's too much like what is already out there for me, and that's not what I want from Garth. I want him to return to being innovative, pushing the edge, not playing it safe. That's what I loved about half of Machine - it went in so many directions that you didn't hear everyday. People Loving People was that for me - it was different than what was on the radio, yet it was 'Garth' all the way through. This one....just doesn't feel that way to me. It feels like pandering (much like the clip of "Weekend" did for me). I really want to love the new music, but I'm hoping the 'get it on the radio' mission this time didn't swing the pendulum too far.

Quote Originally Posted by GBJR77 View Post
    After a good 8 or 9 listens I can say that I don't hate it. But that's about it. I can't say I really 'like' it much either. I'm not a fan of the vocal at all, the harmony drives me insane. It's what I expected though with their strategy to get more radio play out of the box - a safe, up-tempo song that on any other album would just be an album cut. It's too much like what is already out there for me, and that's not what I want from Garth. I want him to return to being innovative, pushing the edge, not playing it safe. That's what I loved about half of Machine - it went in so many directions that you didn't hear everyday. People Loving People was that for me - it was different than what was on the radio, yet it was 'Garth' all the way through. This one....just doesn't feel that way to me. It feels like pandering (much like the clip of "Weekend" did for me). I really want to love the new music, but I'm hoping the 'get it on the radio' mission this time didn't swing the pendulum too far.
    Ok, KRR- what is it about you being able to almost perfectly say what I've been at least in part thinking about Garth's music.. (or is it that we just are thinking the same )

Well said- especially this....

I really want to love the new music, but I'm hoping the 'get it on the radio' mission this time didn't swing the pendulum too far.
    I'm a little apprehensive myself about the 'get it on the radio' mission myself

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by GBJR77 View Post
    a safe, up-tempo song that on any other album would just be an album cut.
    This is literally how I feel. I think this song is going to take some time to grow on me. My initial reactions:

1st listen: "Man, I'm disappointed that they picked something kinda bland to be the lead single."
    2nd listen: "Alright, it's kinda catchy....I bet this would be amazing LIVE, cranked up to 11" (as Garth always says)
    3rd listen: (Personal pep talk) "Okay..This is Garth Brooks music...You need to find a way to love it."
    4th listen: Learned most of the lyrics, singing along. Still not blown away. Almost got it down on guitar, but it's not "hittin' me" It's not grabbing on and pulling me in.

Putting this out as a single, makes me realize how stoked I would have been if the "new single" was comin' out and it ended up being the first time the world heard "All-American Kid," instead of first listen of it being the fourth track of an album that was pushing PLP at the time. With the anticipation of the "NEW GARTH SINGLE" I think that song could have been marketed to the top of the charts, and I think it would have performed better than "Baby, Let's Lay Down.." will end up.

All in all,it's still Garth, but somehow this feels like settling.

A very light hearted catchy tune. I feel like this is a solid LEAD single. I'm just excited that we are getting more new music though honestly. I was a fan of Man Against Machine, it isn't my favorite album by any means, and I expect the same out of this one. I've listened about 3 times, and i'm still warming up to it. Could be better, but it could be worse. It definitely isn't a BAD song.

I also have a couple extra codes for the song if anyone needs them/wants them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Ok, KRR- what is it about you being able to almost perfectly say what I've been at least in part thinking about Garth's music.. (or is it that we just are thinking the same )

Well said- especially this....

I'm a little apprehensive myself about the 'get it on the radio' mission myself
    Please tell me I'm not the only one that was not impressed with that bass guitar solo? I thought it was playing to the Metro-Bro trend on radio and I thought that was a dumb move.

I miss Allen Reynolds.

Huh... I'm really surprised by everyone's negative reactions. I think it has a kind of Doobie Brothers feel to it. Listen to "Listen to the Music" and then listen to this song.

What type of song were people hoping for?

Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    I miss Allen Reynolds.
    I've been saying it for awhile now, I think if Garth were to work with Dave Cobb in the future, it would be the equivalent of Rick Rubin working with Johnny Cash or Brendan O'Brien working with Bruce Springsteen (also Brendan O'Brien would be a good producer as well).

BTW I'm not calling Mark Miller a bad producer y'all, but at some point some people need to abandon the comfort zone along with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality and work with something new.

I miss Allen Reynolds.
    This one right here. Starting with BIAOMR, there has been something inauthentic about that he sound coming out of the studio work. Singing and performing with that sense of honesty and authenticity is one of the things a Garth does better than anyone I have ever heard, in any genre of music. I can't break down everything, but the vocals are overly punchy.

As for the song itself - I don't think it is a bad song, but I feel like it is about 4 BPM too fast. The tempo doesn't let everyone (including the listener) fall into the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    I've been saying it for awhile now, I think if Garth were to work with Dave Cobb in the future, it would be the equivalent of Rick Rubin working with Johnny Cash or Brendan O'Brien working with Bruce Springsteen (also Brendan O'Brien would be a good producer as well).

BTW I'm not calling Mark Miller a bad producer y'all, but at some point some people need to abandon the comfort zone along with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality and work with something new.
    And here is the thing - this guy whose character is so attractive to all of us is fiercely loyal, and did the whole first part of his career with one producer. I think it would be intriguing (though it is too late for this album) for him to pair with a legendary producer (maybe from a different genre) for at least one single.

The middle eight of the song sounds like the "Seinfeld" theme.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlpadacas View Post
    And here is the thing - this guy whose character is so attractive to all of us is fiercely loyal, and did the whole first part of his career with one producer. I think it would be intriguing (though it is too late for this album) for him to pair with a legendary producer (maybe from a different genre) for at least one single.
    I couldn't agree more and you are right, the album itself is pretty much in the middle of factory pressing at this point so I'm definitely going to wait until the album gets in stores to see how the rest of the record will sound.

I'm gonna say one more thing and then I'm done with this because I did not wake up in the morning to be caught in the middle of a musical civil war. I care very much about the genre of Country Music in general, I enjoyed the music of the 90's hell I even liked some of the stuff that came out in the early 2000's but the late 2000's and 2010's have been full of nothing but songs that belong nowhere else but Bud Light commercials. But as we're reaching the tail end of the current decade, we've been seeing a lot of surprises that have been coming out of the woodwork that are right now still shaking the foundations of the Country Music Industry. People like myself had been very frustrated with those beer commercial trends which is why I've been moving my support to guys like Chris Stapleton and William Michael Morgan and in doing so I've been voting with my dollars and doing my part to bring the 90's back to Country Music.

This song here is a very good example of the fact that we still have work to do in getting the message across that we want mature lyrics back in Country. Some of you guys are choosing not to take part in the mission with me and that's fine, as far as me is concerned I got allies in other places.

The good old days.

I miss Allen Reynolds.
    This definitely would have came out more country if Allen was producing it. I kinda feel if they would have slowed this down and made it more sultry, ex. Your Man By Josh Turner, No Gettin' Over Me By Ronnie Milsap, I would already like it more. I have been messing around on guitar and playing it that way, gives it more steam and absolutely makes it more "garthy." I guess will a title like "Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance" that's what I had hoped for, and with the stuff Victoria Shaw has written with GB in the past, this is something definitely different than what I'm used to. Still debating it, but maybe thats a good thing..

+ Reply to Thread