+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41

Thread: Have lost some respect for Garth

  1. #1

    Have lost some respect for Garth

    Want to start by saying my daughter and I are big Garth fans. We have gone to many many concerts, traveled many miles and spent lots of money to go see him. From Nashville to LA to Vegas. We love Garth the man and love his music. My daughter is such a fan that my aunt made a quilt of Garth photos for my daughter and got Garth to sign it at the Wynn for her.

    That being said I am very disappointed in what I have seen at the concerts. Have attended 3 Sacramento shows, 2 San Jose shows and 3 Las Vegas concerts this last weekend. At each concert there are two reserved rows in front next to the stage. At each show the staff goes around and picks people from the crowd to sit in the front rows.

    What I have observed is that the honor of sitting in the front row only goes to young blond women who look like models. This was so evident at the Vegas shows that everyone around us was commenting on it. The two front rows looked like Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders. Garth has lots of hard core fans who would love the honor of sitting in the front row who are not models.

    We have always loved Garth because he always seems to be against this type of dissrespect to his fans. He has always represented himself as a role model. It is very disappointing to us to see that he approves of this type of disrespect being shown to his fans who are not blond 20 year old models. Do the rest of us not count? We can spend our money and time to come to the concerts and buy his music and buy his tee shirts but we're not pretty enough to sit in the front row? What kind of message is this for young girls who are his fans? Sorry unless you look like them you can forget about ever sitting in the front row.

    We were sitting in row 3 on the floor and I could see the look in my daughters face as the parade of beautiful women passed us and took there place in front of us next to the stage. It became apparent to her that even though she is very pretty she is not a voluptuous blond woman and no matter how many concerts we go to she will never get to sit by the stage. There is no justification for this. This really is a tarnish to Garths reputation and he needs to change this policy. I am much less a fan of his because of this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    I partly agree with you. However... Garth's people pick the people that are in the nosebleed seats and that is something I really love. You buy your ticket, you are happy you are going to see Garth. You would have loved seats near the stage or even in the lower ring. However, all that you could get were those seats wayyyyy up. This happened to me and a friend of mine too. AND we got 2nd row tix for one of the shows in Pittsburgh! I am 48 years old, my hair is totally silver (but cut in a funky style). My friend is overweight. And we still got picked! What a rush that was!! I have also seen the occasional man/boy in those two rows. So it is not all that black and white.

    However, I think that when they are going to tape a show for future video release... they might pick differently... Garth and his video producers must love young, blonde, slim girls. In their eyes it must just look good/great. And then some of these young girls are more into their phones/social media than into Garth or the show! THAT is what annoys the h*ll out of me!!

    Never forget that Garth is only human too. He has his faults. One fault that I find worse, is that he exaggerates and doesn't always speak the truth. ("A WHOLE new show", when he only added some stuff on the video screen and changed the stage a tiny littlebit... He said something about the Las Vegas shows too, and I cannot remember his exact wording, but he announced that those shows would be a somehow different and a one off thing or so. And then they turned out just like the other shows of this tour. Okay, so maybe he did more encores, but I bet that was because it was being taped. And then he announces NYC and THAT is going to be different! At least here the stage is different. But I bet the rest of the show will be very much the same.) The album that still hasn't been released... stuff like that really annoys me. But I still love Garth and I am still going to see him whenever I can. Because I LOVE his music, because he is an AMAZING singer and entertainer and because being at his shows just makes me incredibly happy.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  3. #3
    I saw your post on Facebook as well. I can only attest to the fact that my sister and I were upgraded in Boston and neither of us would be confused with models. Also, no one seated around us looked like models in the least (no offense). They all just looked like Garth fans who were having the best and luckiest night of their lives

  4. #4
    You were sitting in the 3rd row on the floor and are complaining??? How did you get your tickets for the concert?

  5. #5
    Sorry OP but your post reads "entitlement"

  6. #6
    Yeah, someone who has the time and money to be able to see Garth eight times and get floor seats 3 rows away from the stage probably should not be complaining about how they couldn't get seats any closer to Garth. Pretty sad and petty actually.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    I think you are missing at least part of the point liuk3 and wimpy77. Molly is also saying that Garth is making a bad role model by only having the young blond slim females picked for those first two rows. She also worries about the message that that sends to other fans / women, that don't look like 20 year old models.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    I think you are missing at least part of the point liuk3 and wimpy77. Molly is also saying that Garth is making a bad role model by only having the young blond slim females picked for those first two rows. She also worries about the message that that sends to other fans / women, that don't look like 20 year old models.
    No, the OP is mad because she didn't get upgrades. Plain and simple.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,662
    I've been to 3 shows, rows 15, 7, and 3. The 2 rows were pretty mixed, couples, a family or two...plus, pretty blonds are garth fans too, Google Sara Jean Underwood.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    A small town within the big city
    Posts
    1,984
    Saw him in Cleveland and Columbus; the front rows show on the screens a mix of 'soft & pretties' and families.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    779
    I completely agree, i noticed that as well in Vegas. I saw one guy on screen in the middle of pretty women, not blonds though. Just one guy in the row.

    I hate his thinking that if you buy a seat in the nosebleeds, you're probably more of a fan. I don't understand, what about his thing about treating everyone the same, OK that can't happen as there's only two rows of free seats. Or another thing what he said before, he doesn't do golden circle, he hates that parents tell their kids that they can't afford that. They're all the same price regardless, it's the luck of the draw if you get a front row seat. Not because mom and dad can't afford it.

    I was on a bus in Vegas when a couple saw a poster outside Garth Brooks & Trisha Yearwood. Those posters were all over the city. The lady got giddy and wanted last minute tickets and went online to check. She got tickets and she said its because she loves the song 'she's in love with the boy'. She likes one song. This person would have gotten nosebleeds seats, and be in with more of a chance of an upgrade than someone sitting on a lower level.

    I think his whole attitude stinks with those upgrades. Then to make money he introduces VIP tickets worth thousands of dollars, where you don't get a meet & greet or a front row seat on the floor.

    He should put them on sale and it's the luck of the draw. I presume it's his way of controlling fat ugly men and women staying away from the perfect looking front row.

    There are real die hard fans that would give anything to be that close.

    I sat in the nosebleeds in Vegas when i arrived because there's a chance of being picked out. Am i not a fan, i travelled the world to see him. I wasn't picked out, nor the middle aged couple in front of me. Did i have to show up naked to get close to the front row.

    I think he should do a golden circle and do away with those VIP tickets he's got. The die hard fans wouldn't have a problem paying a little extra to get close. Let the people that comes for one song pay the cheaper price.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    I think you are missing at least part of the point liuk3 and wimpy77. Molly is also saying that Garth is making a bad role model by only having the young blond slim females picked for those first two rows. She also worries about the message that that sends to other fans / women, that don't look like 20 year old models.
    I think you and the OP are missing the point. OP is pretty privileged as it is relative to most people in this world, while still b1tching and whining that there are people more privileged than her and her daughter. If you don't realize that there is a commercial and business element to the world, I would suggest waking taking a reality pill. Life isn't all fairy tales and unicorns. That's like me b1tching that I'm never going to make the cover of the Sport Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. I don't go crying to mommy about it. I just feel lucky that I'm privileged enough to live in the US, have a great wife and 2 kids, provide a roof over our head, have food on the table, and be fortunate enough to be able to go watch just ONE of his shows in a given year. Gimme a break.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,850
    I don't think we need to pass judgment on anyone for simply expressing an opinion. We certainly don't need to resort to name-calling.

    If we disagree, fine. But let's express it in a way that isn't so disagreeable.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 07-09-2016 at 07:38 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,000
    I understand the perspective, but what looks better on his website or videos? The good looking people or the ones who are not? I don't see this being different than any other concert you go to. And I would bet Garth has very little control over this. He is busy getting other things done. How much of this could also be controlled by radio stations, promoters, or the actual venue itself? He could be jacking his ticket prices up. But he doesn't do that. That is pretty considerate to the average person, no matter how they look.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon..
    Posts
    5,042
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    I've been to 3 shows, rows 15, 7, and 3. The 2 rows were pretty mixed, couples, a family or two...plus, pretty blonds are garth fans too, Google Sara Jean Underwood.
    Holy Moly! Just be careful if you do an image search for her!!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,662
    Yeah, I probably should of put a nsfw warning on her. She was just at the Vegas shows...I have a friend that follows her Instagram and told me.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,662
    Very true. The "hired hands" pass them out to the people they feel are deserving. It happens at alot all huge concerts in arenas. I hardly think GB would tell his people to fill the front rows with beautiful blondes so Trisha can enjoy them along side him no more than him saying fill it up with ugly fans so he can concentrate on the music.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    I disagree. Garth is a control freak. I am certain that he has instructed them. But, like I said, it is not all pretty young blond women. There is some variation.

    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Very true. The "hired hands" pass them out to the people they feel are deserving. It happens at alot all huge concerts in arenas. I hardly think GB would tell his people to fill the front rows with beautiful blondes so Trisha can enjoy them along side him no more than him saying fill it up with ugly fans so he can concentrate on the music.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    I totally agree. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I don't think we need to pass judgment on anyone for simply expressing an opinion. We certainly don't need to resort to name-calling.

    If we disagree, fine. But let's express it in a way that isn't so disagreeable.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    Well, I guess we disagree.

    (BTW, after you judged us so quickly, I have to do a little judging of myself: you don't give the impression of feeling lucky, you give the impression of feeling angry and bitter. But hey, that is just my opinion.)

    Quote Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
    I think you and the OP are missing the point. OP is pretty privileged as it is relative to most people in this world, while still b1tching and whining that there are people more privileged than her and her daughter. If you don't realize that there is a commercial and business element to the world, I would suggest waking taking a reality pill. Life isn't all fairy tales and unicorns. That's like me b1tching that I'm never going to make the cover of the Sport Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. I don't go crying to mommy about it. I just feel lucky that I'm privileged enough to live in the US, have a great wife and 2 kids, provide a roof over our head, have food on the table, and be fortunate enough to be able to go watch just ONE of his shows in a given year. Gimme a break.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,130
    Hmm.. you know, I've thought about this post for a while... re-read the whole thread this morning too.. whats jumped out at me the most isn't the posts from Wimpy (whom I disagree with sometimes) or liuk3 (who makes a few good points too, while seeming a bit angry), nor even Main's (Lowland_kid) posts (which also make good points too..)

    this is the point that jumped at me the most, from the OP

    "We were sitting in row 3 on the floor and I could see the look in my daughters face as the parade of beautiful women passed us and took there place in front of us next to the stage. It became apparent to her that even though she is very pretty she is not a voluptuous blond woman and no matter how many concerts we go to she will never get to sit by the stage. There is no justification for this. This really is a tarnish to Garths reputation and he needs to change this policy. I am much less a fan of his because of this."

    you were sitting IN ROW 3... ok.. That means, you were what, 15-20 feet from the stage at most? multiple shows seen, in multiple cities.. (8 shows by your own count at least ...) ok.. where have your seats been in every show? have you always sat up close to front, were you ever in nosebleeds?

    heck, I went to 3 shows in the Denver run and I would have been thankful, blessed, and downright in a sense of "holy crap I'm close" if I was in ROW 3.. It's not a matter of respect for Garth and/or his people, IMO. sounds a lot (A LOT) like sour grapes...

    BE thankful you were able to be at the show IN ROW 3. Be thankful that you've been able to go to at least 8 shows (as listed in the OP)... on this tour.. Be thankful that you've been able to travel to see Garth multiple times..

    do you honestly know the stories of each and every person who was 'chosen'? ok, so they all happen to be "young blond women who look like models".. I'm sure that's a generalization, but even if it's not.. Whats the goal you are after.... to see a great garth show, or to have Garth notice YOU, and touch YOU and sing TO YOU....

    the goal should be the experience, not the selfish type of 'for me only' experience....


    I'm sorry, but there's a lot of sour grapes and 'whine' in the OP... and there are many people (some of whom Im sure were voluptuous young blonds) or "look like models" types of fans at the shows you attended, who would have KILLED for THIRD ROW seats...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  22. #22
    I'll tell you this, I got three tickets to the San Antonio shows I'm going to next week and none of them are going to be floor seats nor do I think I'll get picked to be in front row but am I going to complain or *****? You bet your sweet ass I will not because as far as me is concerned the seats Ticketmaster picked for me have actually given me a good view of the front side of the stage and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    79

    Could not agree more with the original poster

    Just flew home from two great shows on the weekend but I am in 100 agreement with the original poster. I will share my story after I get caught up here at work...

  24. #24
    I'm not sure how I feel on this, I'm 25, blonde and unlike most of my friends I've like Garth since I was a baby. I was fortunate at his Columbus 4/23 show to be upgraded from THE LAST ROW of the 300 level. I purposely made a unique sign, dug up my 1997 world tour t-shirt and waited around my seat in hopes of being noticed. I will say there was a complete melting pot of people around me. I was with 2 others and our seats were separated so I took the single ticket and my two friends were in a different section. I was surrounded by 50-60 year olds, a family of 4, and plenty of couples.

    It stings a little that the OP just assumes that "pretty blondes" are upgraded for their looks, like Skywise mentioned, a lot of people would love the opportunity but it's a lottery.

  25. #25
    I have little doubt Garth recorded the Vegas concerts for a future DVD or television airing. At those concerts, you want photogenic people on film to draw in the audience.

    Regardless, Garth is still down to Earth and Queen Trisha is far from a petite and young and the guy is madly in love with her. So if he wants to toss some pretty people for a DVD or television event, more power to him. He's not the first or the last person to do it.

    His concert in PHX was a mixture of people up front, so I don't think this is his staple attitude either.
    #1 Trisha Fan on Planet Garth (But I do love the G-Man too!)

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    79
    First off, let me say that I was a visitor to not only New York, but to the USA as well. Both in our group were treated very well, what a wonderful city, such diversity and such history. A special place.

    My wife and I flew in on Friday morning after buying tickets for the Friday show from Ticketmaster for the Friday show and tickets for the Saturday show from StubHub.

    Judging from my 2001 sign up date on this site, and my faded 20 year old Garth tattoo I think it fair to say that what I am about to say does come from a true fan of GB, albeit an objective fan. (which some don’t always like to hear from)

    I have a special take on the debate of whether Garth wants good looking young females in the front row. I think that the answer is yes, he does- and this is not sour grapes, this is just my experience.

    Understand that on Saturday night, I was not only front row- I was on the rail! Yes, a 41 year old, 6’3” guy- was on the rail! To get into the PIT you needed one wrist band, BUT to get to stand AT THE RAIL, you needed the blessed purple band. Without TWO wrist bands, you did not get to the rail. So, respectfully, I ask those who complained that the OP was acting ‘entitled’, or ‘whining’ about not getting selected- what did I have to whine about? Nothing! The fact is, it could not have gotten any better for me on Saturday night. I turned with my back to the stage, in beautiful Yankee Stadium and literally saw 69, 999 people that wanted to be me in that moment. (Save for the ones that left due to the rain delay)

    To get to the rail, that’s where the story is. Originally, our Stubhub tickets were for Pit 2 row 24, (last row in Pit 2) but when we arrived at what was supposed to be row 24- we saw a big piece of equipment there. We were told that the row had been deleted and we needed to see an usher. The usher moved us up to Pit 1, row 3! Amazing right! Of course I had to see if I was allowed to stand at the rail but the security officer said no, you need the double wrist band. Oh well, who can complain?

    My wife tells the gent with the purple wristbands that we just flew in yesterday, that her husband has a tattoo and has brought his personalized license plate for an autograph. The gent said, I can’t give a band to a guy. And there you have it. I wanted to believe that it was all chance, luck of the draw or happenstance, but I dare the objectors to offer an argument to ‘I can’t give a band to a guy’.

    My wife, knowing how I have admired GB since I was a kid and knowing how many shows she has been dragged to over the years just so I could have ‘my moment’ would not let it go. After another while of rain delay the same gent was placing some people near us in row 3 and my wife asks him again in a playful manner, are you back to give me a purple band? The guy looks at her, then looks at me- he knows where the band will end up. He said, you really want to be up there? With my wife’s yes, he slides the band on her wrist and leaves it at the loosest setting- easy enough to slip off.

    So, if you are watching the concert when it makes its way to television- look to the far right, there I am with a red shirt on, with a bunch of ladies younger than my tattoo all around me.

    Garth did acknowledge my sign and my license plates, but never did sign them even though I was even holding up a sharpie) but that doesn’t matter. I was blessed to move to row three in the first place, and blessed to have a wife who fought for something that she knew I wanted.

    I went to the concert wanting “my moment” and I got it. My moment wasn’t a Garth moment, it was more special. My moment was when I was reminded that I have a wife and a best friend that would not take no for an answer to get me to the rail- she never gave up.

    As you can see, there is no ill will at all, I went to the show not expecting anything, I got more than I deserved (thanks to my wife) and I come away thinking how lucky I am for many things- some I seemed I may have forgotten.

    I also know that I would not have gotten to the rail because I was a guy. You may not like to hear that, but that’s the truth. You may still come up with your own excuses (it was not Garths decision, I was not good looking enough) I won’t argue with that as I feel nothing I have said or will say would ever change your mind. My point is not that I am mad or upset that it ‘seems’ to be the front row policy to have good looking girls up there. Heck, I would want the same thing if I am being honest- my point is to tell you it’s true because I lived it.

    I believe that the gents passing out the front row passes to the girls in the nosebleeds may have the best jobs in the world. Seeing Garth every night would be amazing- but then the get to give front row seats to adoring girls and then they add the white glove treatment by coming up to the front row to make sure the ladies made it safely to their new seats thanks to them- that’s service with a smile. (Oh, lets not forget to get some pictures of eachother...smile again!)

    The question becomes, how much of this policy does Garth know about/encourage. I posit that as much of a controlling person I have known Garth to be through the years, he is aware and that after all of this touring, that the vast majority of front row fans are young beautiful girls should/would give rise to a questions or two.

    Finally, is Garth responsible for the actions of a few employees that may not be following the rules? I submit that he is…at least I know that as someone with reports, either direct or dotted line- if someone does something, I will ultimately be held accountable. (Did I not train them properly, was the vetting process not sufficient, are corrective actions in place?)

    This is just one guys story, but what a wonderful story it was to live…

  27. #27

    Really?

    Back in 1997 I saw Garth, for the first time, in the Worcester Centrum in Mass. My mother and brother were with me and she got offered the tickets with 2 young boys with her. She's not blonde or beautiful for that matter and still was offered the tickets. You were 3rd row and complained? I had 9th row for Friday night NYC and bumped into a couple of friends while walking around the stadium who were up in the nosebleeds happy to just be there. I went back to my seat and within 15 minutes they were 7 rows in front of me (in front of the Steinbrenner's too) and I knew EXACTLY what happened. I raised my beer to them in congratulations and then used them to get great pictures. Neither one of them are all that attractive and there was guys and girls all around them as well. Why be bitter? Be happy you are there no matter where you sit (I was in section 418 the next night and as happy as I was the night before). 42 shows and counting for me!

  28. #28
    Do you think that maybe it was just THAT guy saying he can't give it to a guy because HE only liked giving it to WOMEN and not Garth?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by patszzz0915 View Post
    Do you think that maybe it was just THAT guy saying he can't give it to a guy because HE only liked giving it to WOMEN and not Garth?
    No, I don't think that.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    Thanks for your wonderful story, gbwnab!
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts