+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just FYI...

Just FYI...

I know we reported a while back that Trisha is taking a page from Garth's book by not using itunes,

http://www.planetgarth.com/forums/sh...?daysprune=365

but most of her old(er) stuff IS there...up through Jasper County, in fact.

I guess once those albums were made available to them, it couldn't 'be undone, so to speak.

Heaven, Heartache, is apparently not there.

MCA, her old label will flog her stuff to wring every penny from them. HHATPOL was post MCA. Going forth , like Garth , she will own her recordings, which every artists should have the option. I mean MCA released a 'Greatest Hits album against HHATPOL and promoted the hell out of it to try to sink the new release.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    MCA, her old label will flog her stuff to wring every penny from them. HHATPOL was post MCA. Going forth , like Garth , she will own her recordings, which every artists should have the option. I mean MCA released a 'Greatest Hits album against HHATPOL and promoted the hell out of it to try to sink the new release.
    Are you saying they were mad at her for leaving?

I believe Scott Borchetta also went from MCA to Big Machine, and I remember a press release about how he wanted to do more for Trisha than MCA had done...

Yep, and Scot Borchetta did zip for her in terms of marketing in spite of his big talk. He's all hat no cattle IMO.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Yep, and Scot Borchetta did zip for her in terms of marketing in spite of his big talk. He's all hat no cattle IMO.
    Are you speculating with regard to their motives, or is it based on something more specific? Not saying you couldn't be right...actually, I'm more upset with Big Machine, in a way, precisely because they did make such a big deal of promising to do right by her ("You say you will!" ).

And, to be fair, I think every album up through Jasper County went at least gold, and the high points of her career were all during the MCA years, so MCA must have done something to promote her while she was with them.

MCA did spend some money to promote her, but (IMO) not like they did the male acts, which is frustrating. Borchetta must have made a great pitch, because she left MCA and signed with BM, but I happen to know Garth was urging her to go with her own label, which she's now done. Once it became clear she wasn't re-upping with MCA, they have a habit of using the very music their artists make against them if they sign with another label.

Garth was urging her to go with her own label, which she's now done.
    Which brings up something that I wondered about: We've quoted Garth here as saying he has more money than even his grandkids will need...is he pouring any of that money into self-production or distribution of either his own albums or Trisha's? That seems like something he would do, given the amount of money he has, his preference for control and frustrations with certain things on the business side?

And I could really see him wanting to do that for Trisha...making almost a "white knight" gesture of it...whether she would be comfortable with that kind of blending of business and personal relationship is another matter...seems like she's pretty determined not to let Garth control her too much either!

I always hoped that she wasn't thinking of him when she sang things like, "You make me promises that you don't keep...You tell me one thing and do something else." Now I think maybe she was talking to record companies, unbeknownst to them.

I'm actually kind of surprised that MCA could succeed in undercutting a new release by releasing a greatest hits package...from a fan's point of view, I don't see that as "either-or" - I don't see the old stuff substituting for the new stuff such that buying the former means you don't buy the latter.

In fact, I was kind of disappointed such a high percentage of Prizefighter was old stuff...and I wondered if that might have been a factor in its not selling more than it did.

She re-recorded her biggest hits, so now she owns the masters to them; MCA still owns the album cuts, but not her hits. I think it was a smart move on her part; but I am looking forward to all new material from both of them.

She re-recorded her biggest hits, so now she owns the masters to them; MCA still owns the album cuts, but not her hits. I think it was a smart move on her part; but I am looking forward to all new material from both of them.
    Even trying not to be naive, trying to recognize that a record company might retaliate against an artist who left them...I still find it hard to get my head around the idea of releasing a new greatest hits package as retaliation.

Because from a fan's point of view, I don't see that as "either-or" - I don't see the old stuff substituting for the new stuff such that buying the former means you don't buy the latter. It can be nice to have all of the "big" songs on one CD, but hard-core fans often enjoy songs that aren't big (I did another thread about that with regards to Garth) and you only need so many copies of even the big ones.

You're missing my point; MCA could potentially stop her from singing HER hits as they owned them. By recording them on her label, with new masters, she now owns them. The record companies (IMO) have far too much power over the artists in this regard.

You're missing my point; MCA could potentially stop her from singing HER hits as they owned them. By recording them on her label, with new masters, she now owns them. The record companies (IMO) have far too much power over the artists in this regard.
    I get the point about why she re-recorded. And I get that MCA had the (legal) right to put out a new package of the original recordings of the hits.

I just don't get how/why their doing that stopped people from buying HHPOL...two completely different things. And MCA doesn't own anything from HHPOL.

One source I read said Prizefighter had sold about 52,000 copies as of mid-May. Even taking into account that there are currently bigger stars on radio, and the decline in album sales in general, that seems low for Trisha. I hope it's because people didn't feel the need to buy new versions of older songs, and that her future albums of new stuff will sell better.

Since Garth talks about having more money than his grandkids could spend, and since they both obviously have their issues with how some of the record companies operate, I would think Garth and Trisha could invest some of their own money in album production and distribution.

I too had hoped that Sony would put some more marketing behind both albums, but that didn't happen at all. I'm not sure how distribution deals work, but I would think it would behoove Sony to sell more units!

+ Reply to Thread