+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ireland

Ireland

So a year on and the dust has settled, Garth has had a phenomenal tour across The USA and looks like he will be there for a quite a while. As an Irish fan, I'm still so disappointed how the Croke Park shows turned out. After meeting Garth himself and discussing Ireland, it gave me some indication as to how big the show would have been. He told me that the stage and video walls that were meant for Dublin are still in storage and are too big to be used anywhere else on the tour. Trisha also mentioned that he mourned the cancellation for days! With all this in mind, my question is do you think he will want to get back to Ireland at some stage to put a line under this and move on or has the damage been done?

There were alot of disappointed fans here including me but I think the real fans would welcome him back. 10% of the population of Ireland had a ticket for Croke Park and it's clearly his biggest market outside America, would he really turn his back on this? I read alot about how Ireland doesn't deserve a Garth show after what happened but the concerts were stopped by a very small number of people and a City Manager who loves controversy and wanted to flex his muscles. In reality, it was Garth and the fans who lost the most.

I believe that Garth would come back to Ireland if he knew what happened last year wouldn't happen again. I think it hurt him deeply to disappoint all those fans.

I think Monica is correct. If he could assurance they it wouldn't happen again then I think he would. But I think the local government did it to themselves. I think I read somewhere Garth would probably be heading overseas sometime next year.

I agree. He will come back to Ireland. He loves Ireland and Ireland loves him.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

For myself, the Ireland thing is more significant than people make out. Yes his tour of the USA will end up being the biggest tour in USA History. That was always going to happen, because, well he is Garth, second his ticket prices are kept low, thirdly he plays arenas and does multiple shows, he doesnt have to worry about an overseas audience, because he can play the states until his hearts content.

What Garth hasnt done though, is he's not a force in the music industry, like he once was, there are even artists that came out in the 90's, that the power brokers would take a call from before Garth, eg: Will Smith, Eminem, let alone todays artists.

His choices have been terrible, Ghost Tunes are considered a joke by those outside of Garth circles.

But, For myself, Ireland wouldve changed all that.

Croke park is historic, any act that plays there, not only gets a boost, but they have their place cemented in history

Now Garth played their in 97 when it was being fixed up.

It's my firm belief if he had of agreed to three of those concerts, it wouldve gotten world wide coverage.

There are thousands of concerts clips on youtube, from his usa tour.

But the site of 80 thousand Irish fans waving their irish flags, singing along in a outdoor stadium in Europe,
    wouldve gotten coverage on every network, cable station in the states and wouldve made news worldwide.

The absolute visual image of that, wouldve changed everything.

But instead we were left with Garth going on a daytime talk show.

We can say Ghost Tunes, we can say poor choice of singles, we can say fried phone, but in the
    end Ireland wouldve been a game changer.

I honesty think he will and is looking back and thinking "If only I agreed to three concerts"

Remember in that interview from 2014 he was asked "do you want to be number one in country again"
    and Garth replied "Well I would like to be number for all forms of music"

Didnt quite work out that way, and its the Ireland thing that set the ball rolling and got him to that level.

(again apart from his arena tour of the usa, I wont call it a world tour, because he has
    no intention of touring outside the usa)

The machine is winning.

The biggest tour in US history? Nope not even close.

He has said that it will be 2017 before they get overseas. I imagine he'll do several stadiums in Ireland, but I seriously doubt Croke Park will be one of them, and perhaps he'll decide to skip Dublin altogether and play places like Cork, Limerick, Belfast.

And unfortunately there were more than a few who rallied against him playing there. He definitely is looked on in an unfavorable light, and I doubt he would be able to sell out 5 shows at Croke again, even if he could.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    The biggest tour in US history? Nope not even close.
    I thought he was on track to break that record?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGarthFan View Post
    He has said that it will be 2017 before they get overseas. I imagine he'll do several stadiums in Ireland, but I seriously doubt Croke Park will be one of them, and perhaps he'll decide to skip Dublin altogether and play places like Cork, Limerick, Belfast.

And unfortunately there were more than a few who rallied against him playing there. He definitely is looked on in an unfavorable light, and I doubt he would be able to sell out 5 shows at Croke again, even if he could.
    It will be interesting to see how many tickets he will sell in ireland, despite doing a whopping 400K, sales for man against machine were low, perhaps the public was a bit angry.

Im calling it now, Garth wont tour outside the USA in 2017, with the exception of maybe Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I thought he was on track to break that record?
    Like I said he's tour is doing well but in comparison Taylor Swift is beating him by a mile in terms of money gross.

Oh I know Garth is not near the top in terms of money gross, that's because his tickets are cheaper. But in terms of tickets
    sold, attendance, isnt he number one by far.

Oh I know Garth is not near the top in terms of money gross, that's because his tickets are cheaper. But in terms of tickets
    sold, attendance, isnt he number one by far.
    Garth has sold probably 1.5 million which is great but Taylor Swift in some locations is playing stadiums instead of arenas so her numbers will be interesting.

It will be interesting to see how many tickets he will sell in ireland, despite doing a whopping 400K, sales for man against machine were low, perhaps the public was a bit angry.

Im calling it now, Garth wont tour outside the USA in 2017, with the exception of maybe Canada.
    This is a World Tour. He is not going to skip playing in Europe. He probably has some if not all the venues booked already. Those are easy sellouts. By then it will be 20 years since he's played there, so NO WAY he doesn't go overseas.

I also think his plan might be to end the tour in Central Park in late summer 2017.

Didnt he only do Ireland in his 96/98 world tour and didnt do other countries in Europe?, I know he didnt do New Zealand or Australia.

It would be great if he did do the globe!!

Here's a list of places he played in 96-98

http://www.mfyi.com/g/garthbrookstourography.html
    Last edited by wimpy77; 10-31-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Awesome list. Wow he did a lot of concerts in Canada!

Please remember that Europe does not consist of Ireland alone... It was TOUGH on the rest of us European fans when it was announced that he wouldn't come to the mainland after all!
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    Please remember that Europe does not consist of Ireland alone... It was TOUGH on the rest of us European fans when it was announced that he wouldn't come to the mainland after all!
    I dont think that anyone is suggesting that Europe only consists of Ireland but for Garth, Ireland has always been unique. I dont think there is any other country in the world where 10% of the population would buy tickets to a show. I don't know anyone in Switzerland so cant really comment but I do know lots of people in The UK and although Garth has a following there it's nothing like Ireland. Personally, I'd love to see him do lots of European cities but I guess that would depend on ticket sales and I don't think he'd want to take a risk on tickets not selling. Ireland is no risk, there may be some fans who wouldn't buy tickets because of what happened last year but I've no doubt that if he announced tomorrow that he was coming back to play Ireland, tickets would be snapped up in minutes.

Gross sales mean nothing. I could sell one ticket for a billion dollars to a rich uncle and then would I have the biggest tour ever? Nope. It's all about ticket sales

+ Reply to Thread