+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Limited vs Regular...have we figured out the difference, yet??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    122

    Limited vs Regular...have we figured out the difference, yet??

    I am going to grab my copy later this am and I am wondering if we know what the difference in the 2 editions are yet.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,779
    word is it's just the cover... everything else is the same.

  3. #3
    Just picked up the Limited Edition. The content is the same. My regular edition hasn't arrived from Amazon yet, so I'm not sure if the pictures in the booklet are different.

  4. #4
    I guess another good question would be does anyone know how many of the limited blackened edition will be made? I suppose it would be worth picking up for a collection if there's only going to be...... say 100,000 made, but if there's going to be a million made....... probably not as worth it. Has anyone heard a number?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    147
    Thought I heard him say "half as many as before" and said 500k, I could be mistaken or he could have the wrong numbers himself.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    122

    Regular Edition...Hard to find??

    When I ran to Best Buy, I had to dig and found only 1 copy of the regular edition out of the 20 or so they had on the shelf.

  7. #7
    I can say that the Target I went to ONLY had copies of the Limited Edition and there were a lot. So, 500k sounds like a reasonable guess.

  8. #8
    Yea, i just went to Walmart and probably 80% were the limited edition. But i guess Garth got me again....... i bought both. Well...... plus i bought the digital bundle....... oh well

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,779
    Okay, here are the differences:

    Regular edition front cover has the Orange & black & white front, with the gears behind Garth. Black edition has gears all blacked out and is just Garth with black and white text.

    Inside the booklets, the layouts are different (lyrics fall on different pages, some pictures are bigger in one version than another, etc), but there is no additional text. In the regular edition, the pictures are in color, using colors and machinery in the backgrounds. In the Black edition, all the pictures are just of Garth with the backgrounds blacked out similar to the cover. There is one picture in the regular edition that is not in the Black edition, and vice versa: the one in the regular edition uses a bright light behind Garth as an effect. In the Black edition it's a close up of Garth with a goatee.

    The back cover of the Black edition booklet is just Garth, again with the machinery background that's on the regular edition blacked out.

    The disc of the Black Edition is in black and white, and of course says limited black edition. The regular edition is black and white and orange similar to the front cover.

    Underneath the disc on the regular edition is a blue and white pic of a pipe structure or a bunch of pipes on shelves. The Black edition instead uses a black and white sepia-ish pic showing a closeup of what looks like the bottom parts of 3-4 flat-bottom screws.

    The back cover of the regular edition uses the screw pic that I just described, with white text for the song titles. The Black edition is pure black, no pic, and again uses white text for the song titles.


    Hope this helps!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by rmila00 View Post
    Yea, i just went to Walmart and probably 80% were the limited edition. But i guess Garth got me again....... i bought both. Well...... plus i bought the digital bundle....... oh well
    Same.... sigh.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    231
    I picked up my copy of Limited Black Edition (didn't see a copy of the regular one at Target) so while I don't know how the booklet seems on the regular edition... the one in the limited edition seems a matte versus some of the other glossy booklets I've seen in the past. I do like the matte paper used here.

    IMHO: The photos also see to be WAY over photo shopped and in my opinion and looks just a bit "plastic." Not sure if it was the attempt to go all black and muted grays but seem to have lost a bit of that emotion in the eyes and even the skin tones seem cold and lack a bit of warmth I'm used to.

    Shannon

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    122
    This is the first limited edition I did not buy. I couldn't see spending an extra 3 bucks for nothing. Sorry Garth! If album sales dip, I guess you can blame me.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,785
    Interesting- I had to ask at target and the only one hey had was normal edition. But at 9.99 on sale + their cartwheel app... Got entire thing tax included for under 10$.. Will have to look at my limited edition when I get home. .. Yeah won't be wrapped and all but I'll still have a normal one in my collection

    I'll go through and take some pics later to show diffs
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  14. #14
    Picked up The Black Edition today after work, only took going to 2 different stores. Stopped by Target and they only had 5 copies of the regular edition. I was able to find the Black Edition at a Best Buy. They had about 7 copies of the regular on the shelf. Store employee had to go find the LE case in the back. I know I'm old school, but its kind of sad to see conditions like this when it comes to album releases.


    Absolutely love the album!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankfanken View Post
    Picked up The Black Edition today after work, only took going to 2 different stores. Stopped by Target and they only had 5 copies of the regular edition. I was able to find the Black Edition at a Best Buy. They had about 7 copies of the regular on the shelf. Store employee had to go find the LE case in the back. I know I'm old school, but its kind of sad to see conditions like this when it comes to album releases.


    Absolutely love the album!
    I agree, it is sad. People just don't care about albums anymore.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LA/Long Beach area
    Posts
    2,096
    I totally agree. They said CDs don't sell but they don't make it easy. I have gone in to stores on Tuesday's to get a new CD and none available. Of course they won't sell if you don't put them out. Then they cut down how much self space they allot to music. Living n a small town also doesn't help. I end up buying off Amazon or when I head to the big city. I would rather buy locally and keep money local but can't always do that. I am hoping I can find Black Cover tomorrow. Enjoying my regular edition. I really Man Against Machine. Has me rocking in my seat. Am I wrong or is the first non-holiday CD that is named for a song?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    I agree, it is sad. People just don't care about albums anymore.

  17. #17
    Well I think the problem was they wasted money ordering CDs that no one bought, so they were forced to cut down.

    It is the first Garth album named after a song!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Interesting- I had to ask at target and the only one hey had was normal edition. But at 9.99 on sale + their cartwheel app... Got entire thing tax included for under 10$.. Will have to look at my limited edition when I get home. .. Yeah won't be wrapped and all but I'll still have a normal one in my collection

    I'll go through and take some pics later to show diffs
    ok, gonna have to edit this- I am (unless I find a black edition i the store next time I go) probably gonna let someone else do the looking and posting pics.. my black editions gonna remained sealed I think.. for collection purposes..

    sorry guys (if anyone was counting on it)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,785
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I totally agree. They said CDs don't sell but they don't make it easy. I have gone in to stores on Tuesday's to get a new CD and none available. Of course they won't sell if you don't put them out. Then they cut down how much self space they allot to music. Living n a small town also doesn't help. I end up buying off Amazon or when I head to the big city. I would rather buy locally and keep money local but can't always do that. I am hoping I can find Black Cover tomorrow. Enjoying my regular edition. I really Man Against Machine. Has me rocking in my seat. Am I wrong or is the first non-holiday CD that is named for a song?

    This is garth's first CD that's named for a song, yeah..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  20. #20
    Thanks for that detailed description, Emerald Isle! I have to say, as underwhelmed as I was by the regular version cover art that was shown online, I really dig the Limited Black Edition booklet. It has an elegant look and feel, both in terms of aesthetics and the way it actually feels to the touch. Setting aside the various Double Lives, this may be my second favorite booklet in his discography, behind my beloved Sevens. Graphic designer Jeff Crump did terrific work with this booklet.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts