+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garth's strengths/weaknesses

This tour has been record breaking for each city so far. It's on track to be the most successful tour in the history of planet Earth.

Again, its on track to become the most successful tour ever.

Garth will end up selling more tickets on this tour than any other tour in HISTORY.

So I think we can say, yeah its been somewhat successful.

In terms of his album, well time will tell. Taylor Swift will smash the one million mark for her first week sales, judging by what she
    has done on the first day.

So there is still a market for people to put up massive album sales numbers, IF you play by the current rules, and Taylor has
    been promoting her album like crazy.

BUT The promotion for Man against machine has been so lacking, and I would go as far as to say, if even Garth
    was just a minor artist, heads would roll for how this album has been handled.

Still in the end it will all come down to the music, and thats the way it should be.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 10-28-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Not to play Devil's advocate (that's Scott's role ) but it is entirely possible that Garth doesn't care about radio play; that said I do suss we will see his smiling face on telly in a week or so.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    Not to play Devil's advocate (that's Scott's role ) but it is entirely possible that Garth doesn't care about radio play; that said I do suss we will see his smiling face on telly in a week or so.
    To say Garth doesn't care about numbers or radio, you're fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    This tour has been record breaking for each city so far. It's on track to be the most successful tour in the history of planet Earth.

Garth will end up selling more tickets on this tour than any other tour in HISTORY.

In terms of his album, well time will tell. Taylor Swift will smash the one million mark for her first week sales, judging by what she

So there is still a market for people to put up massive album sales numbers, IF you play by the current rules, and Taylor has

BUT The promotion for Man against machine has been so lacking, and I would go as far as to say, if even Garth

Still in the end it will all come down to the music, and thats the way it should be.
    Everything you said is true but Taylor is very good with social media and we all know Garth hasn't been willing to do that yet.

I suss he's counting on his base, knowing that they've been sharing the music in the archaic [] form of CDs to the next generation. As he's said at every presser so far, he's blown away by how many younger attendees are at his concerts. And wimpy77, no I'm not; he cares, but his legacy is cemented. He knows once people whom may or may not be familiar with the new music, will seek it once they've seen him in concert. It's always been the way he made new believers. He's not a stupid man; a bit old fashioned, but very savvy none the less.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    hehe thanks Barbara- I'll take that role

I guess it's possible he doesn't care- but I honestly doubt that... I'm hoping we see him on the TV a lot... promotion up the wazoo...

I just pre-ordered the limited edition from Barnes and Noble (can't pass the price up) j just in case...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    To say Garth doesn't care about numbers or radio, you're fooling yourself.

Numbers? he def. has an affinity for numbers- and control- and well, yah.. radio? don't know- #'s? w/o a doubt- (or else we'd not have 11 diff copies/covers for DL, etc..)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

what has Taylor done the first day?

the tour being the most successful ever- theres no poss. way to tell for certain- it's a great wish- but only that..

Will he (garth) end up selling more tix on this tour than any other in history? again, possible, but no way to concretely know yet.. he should've been able to be the man in Ireland and that didn't happen after all..

has it been successful? perhaps in the cities it's been to so far- but limited data from maybe a month of touring so far.. can't extrapolate out to a whole tour honestly...

IF you play by the current rules, and Taylor has

ok, had to re- quote that part- YES.. IF you play by the rules... or know the new way of doing things- Garth hasn't (never has) and seemingly doesn't know.. that could hurt him..

The promotion has definitely been lacking- horribly so.. true it can kick up any time.. b ut so far- it's been pbbbbbbtttt and bleh.

it will all come down to the music though absolutely- I'm hoping to see it rock out the country music universe..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

According to hitsdailydouble, judging by first day sales, Taylor will do well over a million.

I think its a safe bet, that Garth will continue selling tickets in upcoming cities, like he has for the first few cities.

In terms of the promotion of this new album, its been freakin horrible, and heads should roll for it.

Again, in the end, its going to come down to the music, and if Garth has nailed this album, if he has done one of the
    great country albums, then of course it will be extremely successful.

Garth needs to do more than just the morning shows. How about a 60 Minutes segment? (RE Promotion): I also think the problem is that since Jay left, there's no "mainstay" talk show host with the clout to legitimize a Garth appearance. He was such a favorite of Leno's, would Garth work going on Fallon? Of course, it could be that Garth could bring people TO Fallon and not vice versa. That's a new audience for "Tonight." I don't know..maybe I'm rambling too off topic here. It makes sense in my head. I'll boil it down: I don't see a talk show that fits Garth other than the morning shows, and he needs to get on something else.
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

Quote Originally Posted by gbfansince3 View Post
    Garth needs to do more than just the morning shows. How about a 60 Minutes segment? (RE Promotion)
    an interesting idea, but i don't know if Garth would totally go for the later night weekend news segment type of thing- I like the idea though -heck he should be out there doing as much as he could/can.. I agree, she should do more than the daytime shows, though a lot of his audience are females, and some of them are home during the day... so there's a market there..

: I also think the problem is that since Jay left, there's no "mainstay" talk show host with the clout to legitimize a Garth appearance. He was such a favorite of Leno's, would Garth work going on Fallon?
    Honestly, I thik Garth would go on Jimmy Fallon's tonight show- After all, it's not like (this time) jay didn't endorse Jimmy as his replacement- true, he's inane and boring and not nearly the comedian Jay was- he's not worth watching IMO.. but if Garth were to be there, you know there would be a segment of peeps (at least garth nuts) who'd go.. I think it'd be a nice tradition- I think you're likely though, to see him on GMA before you see him on the tonight show..

Of course, it could be that Garth could bring people TO Fallon and not vice versa. That's a new audience for "Tonight." I don't know..maybe I'm rambling too off topic here. It makes sense in my head. I'll boil it down: I don't see a talk show that fits Garth other than the morning shows, and he needs to get on something else.
    it's gonna be what it's gonna be I'm afraid.. we'll just have to be along for the ride to watch the chaos (or fun) or crash/burn

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

The first part of this comment is slightly off topic, but I have to say Jay Leno is one of the most boring men to ever host a late night talk show. It always bugged me that Garth would only go on his show. That is one of his biggest weaknesses IMO.

For Garth to go on Fallon's Tonight Show would bring Garth to new people. It wouldn't bring as many new people to Fallon.

I think it is a credit to Garth that our expectations are through the roof for his tour and his music. We do expect a high level of quality. He has set the bar high over his career. However, I think that is why some are disappointed or frustrated. "The Machine" might appear to be a bit rusty. I think we may have to temper expectations. Some of his lead singles started poorly in the past and then the albums would go on to be a big smash.
    "Just keep taking chances and having fun."

Don't mean to be a party pooper on this party poop, but.... As far as Pre Promotion goes, That is where his new label is failing, not Garth! Garth has been up before dawn talking to radio stations in every city he's been in promoting the new music and tour! As for TV promotion, Garth will do that when the music is already in stores, so that people seeing it for the first time that are interested in buying will go that day and be able to purchase it! It would be a mistake to do it prior to release date!

As for social media... Garth has a huge presence on Facebook... several groups growing everyday! iTunes... who cares, that is what Ghosttunes is for! If people want it, they will know where to get it! Not to forget about his own website! A simple google search will get them where they need to be. The media will definitely be reviewing the music when they get it too, so the promotion will be there, it depends on who wants to take a jab at him or who wants to be fair to him on the reviews. In the past, I've seen them over analyze everything to death when it comes to Garth. Radio, well, we don't have enough bandwidth to cover what really is going on there, but be assured, they only play what they are handsomely courted to play... so, look to the label for that and who on their rouster is getting the airplay. Remember, they want to sell to the teenagers!

I'm done!

~Ann~

"Facebook, Twitter and even MySpace weren’t around when he put out his last album, “Scarecrow,” in 2001. After much counseling from his kids, he promises he’ll jump into social media for the launch of his album Nov. 11." ~Minneapolis Star Tribune

Maybe he will take the leap into social media this month? That would be very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by GarthdaMan View Post
    "Facebook, Twitter and even MySpace weren’t around when he put out his last album, “Scarecrow,” in 2001. After much counseling from his kids, he promises he’ll jump into social media for the launch of his album Nov. 11." ~Minneapolis Star Tribune

Maybe he will take the leap into social media this month? That would be very cool!
    I'll believe it when I see it- read, I'm not so certain he will.. (well, in a smart way)..

THAT Being said- I know I'll be right there subbing, following, friending, liking, you name it.. with all of us- to get bits of garth social media (though he can't successfully IMO do it all 'his own way' (ala ghosttunes) if he hopes to have an impact)

Garth- NO MYSPACE I doubt much of anyone goes there anymore

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

guess a lot of people know about the album, it's number 4 on Amazon's country best sellers...

Obviously number 1 on Ghosttunes albums list as well.

I think this album will do fine when it comes to sells. Hopefully we will find out how digital is doing when it is released. I can tell you this, just one search of twitter , facebook, instagram...and you'll see the power of Garth. The hype is there, now hopefully Garth can make what he did before look small...as he said in a Lorrianne Crook interview years ago.

The countdown is on .....can't wait for Man Against Machine!
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

Like I said earlier, we as fans need to post on social media ourselves to help GB out. Share the links to the album and talk about it. Word of mouth is one of the best ways of promotion.

Pretty good article from overseas. Again, some hints at blowing up social media on the 11th and some other interesting thoughts and insights.
    http://www.ukcountrymusic.net/2014/1...-one-one-ukcm/

an interesting article, perhaps highlighting a strength (connection with the people) AND a weakness (I don't think he really understands social media ,despite efforts to assuage people to the contrary)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    an interesting article, perhaps highlighting a strength (connection with the people) AND a weakness (I don't think he really understands social media ,despite efforts to assuage people to the contrary)
    Well, let's see what happens next week before we make that conclusion. Maybe he understands it all better than he's previously let on. Even if all he does is a facebook and twitter account, that's something.

It was a good article though.

I'm really intrigued as to what's going to happen when the album drops. I think my excitement for what Garth will do has now surpassed my excitement for actually hearing the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Well, let's see what happens next week before we make that conclusion. Maybe he understands it all better than he's previously let on. Even if all he does is a facebook and twitter account, that's something.

It was a good article though.
    Haven't made ANY conclusion yet here..... Just brought up a poss.

Hoping for official social media accts though and not the 'take on iTunes' type of attitude that a Garth only social media system might take...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    I'm really intrigued as to what's going to happen when the album drops. I think my excitement for what Garth will do has now surpassed my excitement for actually hearing the album.
    I hear you- I don't know if mine has surpassed anything but it's ramped up

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    My guess is Facebook, Twitter, Tour Instagram, and the BELIEVERS will finally launch.
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

I wonder if that is how the Believers will be handled. Maybe that is his way of getting into social media. He had said previously that if he did it that he'd want it to be limited and be about only those who care about the music.

+ Reply to Thread