+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So what happens if...

Question So what happens if...

With the licence for the Croke Park concerts yet to be granted (see here for details - what would happen to the comeback shows if it's declined?

Moved to other venues? (where else in Ireland could host shows on this scale?)
    Rescheduled & moved to the USA?
    Cancelled altogether?

The dates are fast approaching & decisions will soon have to be made.

Well can you imagine how much revenue will be lost to the city? Hotel prices have increased 3 and sometimes 4 fold! Most offer free cancellation. The city is totally booked out for this event. I hope they find a way to let it go ahead.

I'm sure the license will be granted but it's really a shame it's come down to this. It's sounds like the city really did break a promise to it's citizens by agreeing to host these concerts.

It's certainly not Garth's fault, but Dublin really dropped the ball. I wouldn't anticipate him going back after this. Not to Croke Park at least.

Thing is Mr.Sevens, Croke Park's planning permission 20+ years ago allows for three special events a year i.e concerts without a license. This is what the residents are holding onto. But within the same planning permission, there was a decision made that Croke Park can have more events by applying for an event license. This is what they have done for the Garth Brook's concert. So it wasn't a promise, its there in the planning permission for Croke Park.

We are expected to hear by the end of the week. But it it doesn't end there. If they are granted, the croke park residents are seeking an injunction to stop the concerts. That can go either way.

If they are cancelled, there's no other venue in Ireland big enough to hold 82,000. It'll more than likely be rescheduled and moved to the USA.

But if they reschedule most people will want a refund because they won't be able to go to the US. But they might get a refund on the tix and they might be able to cancel their hotel but they won't get a refund on air fare. My friend is flying in from Australia for all 5 shows - she won't be able to get a refund on that however much notice we get IF it was to get cancelled or rescheduled.
    Let's hope a compromise can be agreed

Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    Thing is Mr.Sevens, Croke Park's planning permission 20+ years ago allows for three special events a year i.e concerts without a license. This is what the residents are holding onto. But within the same planning permission, there was a decision made that Croke Park can have more events by applying for an event license. This is what they have done for the Garth Brook's concert. So it wasn't a promise, its there in the planning permission for Croke Park.

We are expected to hear by the end of the week. But it it doesn't end there. If they are granted, the croke park residents are seeking an injunction to stop the concerts. That can go either way.

If they are cancelled, there's no other venue in Ireland big enough to hold 82,000. It'll more than likely be rescheduled and moved to the USA.
    For clarification: isn't it also true that the rules say they must apply for the license before advertising the concert? Because that most definitely wasn't done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    For clarification: isn't it also true that the rules say they must apply for the license before advertising the concert? Because that most definitely wasn't done.
    With every outdoor concert here, they sell tickets with a disclaimer 'subject to licence'. This has always been the case. They dont get a licence unless they can prove they have advertised and how many is attending the event. Its backwards.

No worries, folks. I got this covered. I happen to have a big chunk of property.

Garth, if you are reading this, the venue at my house is available. I won't charge you. I will even pay the power bill. Call me

i hate how we're just a few weeks away and it's still up in the air. I myself will be in the air in just a couple weeks, I'm flying in on the 20th (well, I arrive on the 21st but leave on the 20th). hotel can be cancelled up to a certain day, but the flight can't be refunded and I'm coming from canada. I'd be really upset if all this is cancelled, esp in this short of time.
    keepin the faith.

Unhappy Oh no...

Looks like only 3 going ahead: here

Although according to this ALL FIVE could be in jepordy

I wonder if the ticket holders can sue the residents for their losses?
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    I wonder if the ticket holders can sue the residents for their losses?
    Highly doubt it. Concerts are always subject to cancellation.

Guess I don't understand the complexities of professional concert promoting well enough...because I wonder why transferring to another venue would be so hard, other than the fact that the other venue might be smaller..I guess I think it wouldn't be too hard to get the message to the ticket holders to go to a different venue...given the publicity surrounding all this.

I can imagine Garth giving people free tickets to a later show because one got cancelled, but given the number of people we're talking about with tickets to the already-cancelled ones, and the other three sold out as it is, he probably can't "squeeze them all in." Hah!

I suppose, PR-wise, this could go either way for Garth. There may be people in Dublin who side with the residents and feel like Garth is one of the bad guys, or there may be fans who wanted to go to the shows who get upset about the way Garth handled the issue once it became an issue.

BUT we could see the sentiment that people here have been expressing: when he's here in the US (whether that's to replace these shows or later), US fans being eager to jump into the breach and show their support all the more, to make up for Dublin's lack of it. And maybe the experience of being "deprived," just when they thought Garth was back will make people hungrier, so to speak.

Just move the comeback special event to .... Central Park NYC?
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

+ Reply to Thread