+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: September - November Shows

October 21st and 22nd late shows

Okay, here goes! As you probably can figure out, my biggest obsession in life is Garth Brooks and his music. I cannot fight it and don’t even want to – everybody has to have an obsession or two

So I consider myself very lucky that I can save enough money working as a nurse to make these trips to the other side of the world to see my idol. If I could I would attend every show he has but I try to limit it to once a year – well, last year made an exception because of the Nashville Rescue Party as I had never attended a full GB concert with the band before…

But back to business. I’m forever grateful to American Airlines that they started flying straight from Helsinki to Chicago as it shortened my trip to Vegas by one connection and many hours. As my ears are oversensitive to pressure changes every landing and take off that I can avoid is a blessing. So I arrived in Vegas on Thursday night and had a terrible air conditioning cold – I was sneezing and blowing my nose all the time. I thought that I could not attend Friday’s show, I was feeling so sick. But luckily after sleeping on it I was feeling better.

As usual Friday’s late show started late, at 10.50 pm, but it did last 2 hours 15 minutes. As usual I was feeling so fidgety before the show and so calm and happy when it started. As this was my seventh Vegas show I knew the basic stories by heart. But they are always told with different flavours and spices – the interaction between Garth and the crowd is the thing. It’s not just about Garth performing his show, it’s a living thing that hovers in the air of that room – you can almost touch it and still not describe it with mere words. That’s why I feel sorry for people who cannot afford to experience it themselves.

I was surprised to see that there were four empty seats on the first row center (I had by some weird luck gotten my first row seat the day the tickets went on public sale) and felt bad for Garth. After couple of songs the ushers brought some happy people to sit there – I don’t know if they had still been in stand by line or just people from the back row. The box office told the shows were sold out when I fetched my tickets.

This time I concentrated on watching Garth from close range - hhmmm, what a nice way to spend a couple of hours. I have never figured out what makes this ageing, balding, chubby guy the object of fantasies but he is, in a big way. Well, some things cannot be explained… Garth was looking good, in his Vegas trademark loose fitting jeans, black shirt with the sleeves rolled up and baseball cap. He was doing more Jim Groce songs (thank you) and some new snippets of Elton John this time. Holy Moses, he did sound exactly like Sir Elton for a moment and I loved it.

Trisha came on stage for In Another’s Eyes and Walkaway Joe. She was looking splendid, sounded smashing. I wasn’t expecting it this time because of her mama so it was a welcome surprise. I’m always happy to see them together, their happiness with each other is contagious. All the people were showing their support to her, standing ovations of course. As you know, October is pink for breast cancer – Hooray for my sister who is a survivor! Trisha was wearing pink boots and Garth commented that it’s the breast awareness month… Trisha corrected him “No, it’s the breast cancer awareness month… For you, every month is breast awareness month!” LMAO. Reba McIntyre had given the boots to Trisha – what a nice gesture of support!

In Friday’s show there was no Q&A, no requests. I absolutely adored that he sang She’s Every Woman as that would have been my request. Garth did wave out to some people but that was it. Two couples sitting beside me with a small poster with a concert picture in it tried to get Garth to sign it but he didn’t – as he has said before he would not give his autograph just for one ‘cause he couldn’t do it for us all. The crowd did sing along but not really loud. Standing ovations, yes, but not so many as in some shows. Shameless was sung perfectly and got the biggest cheering. The encore was The Dance, Callin’ Baton Rouge and Piano Man and the show stopper was Friends in Low Places sung by the whole crowd. I want more! I was thinking that maybe I could move in with their dogs – I would behave really well in that dog house just to be near these inspiring people…

Between the shows I enjoyed the sun and warm weather in Vegas. I walked for hours around the city taking pics and video of the weird and colourful attractions. Did some shopping (but mostly just window shopping), got myself a Pinktober T-shirt from Hard Rock Cafť and some G-shirts from Wynn’s. Even put my money on the $58 hoodie (the price has come down) as the winters in Finland can be long and cold and I need warm clothes;-) Didn’t gamble as I have no luck whatsoever and no skills with cards so it would be a waste of money.

Saturday’s late show started 10.40 pm. I had the exact same seat on the front row center – another weird stroke of luck. There were the same 4 empty seats on front row as on Friday! There seemed to be some mix up with other front row tickets as a couple of people obviously had the same seats on their tickets. The ushers arranged them to the empty seats and everybody was happy...

Garth had the same outfit. At first he thanked his sponsors – “Steve Wynn… well, that’s all – otherwise it’s all on the Big Man”. The same life story of course. The crowd was more into it from the beginning, louder, making more comments. Garth made more contact with people, answering the comments with his. No Jim Groce songs this time. Randy Travis was up, Elton John was up.

This time it was requests and questions after the 1Ĺ h basic show. I apologise if my memory is not accurate… A lady from the back of the balcony (with her mom and sister) asked what had inspired FILP as it had been her sorority song. Garth reminded that he was not the songwriter on that one but thanked for her words anyway – and didn’t sing the song ‘cause it was not the time for that yet… The timing, people! Another lady from the front of the balcony thanked Garth for his music. Garth asked her name and then asked: “…and you are…?” Pregnant, answered she to which Garth commented that he always let’s the lady say that, just in case… Ain’t that gentlemanly or what She asked for That Summer which he sung gladly. A lady (with her mom and sister again, the sister having had the tickets as a birthday present) from the back of the center orchestra asked if Garth was going to come back touring and he got cheered when he explained the time table of putting all of their girls to college first and then firing it up. Garth talked to her awhile and found out she was a mother of five – to which he commented (after showing his respect for that) “You do know what causes it?” He has a twisted sense of humour that I love. Then he sang part of her request More Than a Memory after memorizing it a bit first. A man with his brother from the front left orchestra asked Garth to pick a song, either Alabama Clay or Cowboy Bill but he sang both of them to him. He said to forgive him but he was going to let himself get lost in the song with Alabama Clay. I had brought my sign to get his attention (asking for a hug as I was sitting in front of him) and I did see his eyes scanning the sign but otherwise he didn’t react to it. I was disappointed at that but someday I will get to talk to him… I just have to believe!

No Shameless this time. Garth had some minor voice problems with the high notes at times so he might have wanted to spare his vocal cords a bit. Trisha was back with IAE and WJ and got her 3 standing ovations again. Garth played Q&A with her, was jumping up and down and waiving his hand to get her attention. Then he asked her what had inspired Walkaway Joe. Trisha answered that it wasn’t written by her “but if you ask me later in the bar, it is…” And stole Garth’s joke! He cracked up laughing and said he couldn’t believe she had done that to him. He was still laughing so hard he could not start playing WJ until after second try.

I love Trisha’s voice but this time I concentrated on watching Garth as she performed. His pride and joy of her talent and of people’s appreciation of her show every time on his face – it is glowing. I wish someone would look at me like that…

This time there was no encore – Garth went straight to The Dance, Piano Man and the show stopper FILP. He asked people to stand up to sing that one together and boy, did we! I guess at first we didn’t understand he was really ending the show. That was the shortest one I have attended, “only” 2 hours. As I saw later that he performed The Dance at Dan Wheldon’s memorial on Sunday in Indianapolis I understood that he might have had a tighter schedule than normally.

But I got what I needed – new memories to my Garth collection, a break from my every day life, a chance to feel the magic of a man loving his music, a profound feeling of joy and the biggest smile on my face this year. Thank you, Garth!
    Tiina

October 21st and 22nd late shows

Whoops, it appeared twice...
    Last edited by Tiina4GB; 10-28-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Tiina

Thanks to everyone for the reviews! I promise to return the favor next weekend.

Jody

Thanks to everyone for the great reviews. They have been so few and far between once the ticket price skyrocketed. Since my plan to make a yearly visit to Las Vegas fizzled when the ticket prices went up, I look forward to the reviews.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Thanks to everyone for the great reviews. They have been so few and far between once the ticket price skyrocketed. Since my plan to make a yearly visit to Las Vegas fizzled when the ticket prices went up, I look forward to the reviews.
    Ditto!!

Tiina, you are a great storyteller! Thanks so much for all of the details. You took me right back to the Encore Theatre!

Jody, looking forward to your story next weekend!
    Heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís just beyond the fear. No, heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís for us to find it here.

New York, New York, United States, 108424279189115, New York, New York
    Thank you!
    Love Always,
    Jo@nn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Thanks for all the details! Glad you had a great time! More Than A Memory, Alabama Clay AND Cowboy Bill! I'd say you hit the jackpot without even putting a quarter in the slot!

That was an awesome review!! Im still trying to save up the money to go out there...hopefully Ill get a chance to before he is done there.

Thanks Again,
    Emily
    Son, it ain't what you're driving Or the clothes that you wear Material possessions Won't matter up there And someday in heaven...When the angels all sing These rags that I'm wearin' Will be fit for a king...

Too bad we couldn't have met before the concert tiina4GB. Your review had more detail than my review did. Very nice review.
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

Thanks for the reviews! Nice to hear about the man no matter what the venue. It is disappointing to hear that the ticket prices have changed the atmosphere some what and the way Garth is willing to interact with the crowd.

I haven't been since January of last year, but we are going again for the first set of shows next January. It will probably be the last Vegas shows we do, but who knows... I start to get weak and get the itch about once a year.

Anyway, we booked a package that got us Orch C Row B seats 103 & 105 for the Friday 10:30 show. We also have tickets for the Saturday 7:30 show Row Q (I was originally led to believe I could get better seats for a second show and found out different when it was already too late. I would have bought through the presale and been able to get much better seats). I am pumped about the front row, this will be a first for me.

I'm really hoping for at least a handshake, so I'm disappointed to hear that Garth isn't generally shaking the hands of the front row and would not give a hug. If not that, I would like to see if I can get a song requested with a little sign or something. Does anyone that has been/had success have any advice as to how I might increase my chances? I'm thinking ditch the usual Wynn attire and wear a Garth hoodie or T-shirt... maybe something from Nashville, LA or KC might help me get noticed? Any advice is appreciated.

Kate

During Friends in Low Places I held up the sign at chest level. He did not seem to notice it. At the end of the show he and Trisha were leaving the stage and some one stuck out their hand and Garth shook it. He made his way back toward me and shook my hand and looked me straight in the eye and wished me happy birthday. That really made me day!
    Kate, don't give up on the handshake just yet! I would go with something from KC or LA. Garth will definitely notice you. If you can't get a handshake or hug, Garth may actually ask if you have a request if you make a sign. I think a lot of it will depend on his mood and the crowd. Garth really feeds on the energy of the crowd.

Tracie
    Heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís just beyond the fear. No, heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís for us to find it here.

Here's the problem with trying to write a review of Friday's show: I was in the 3rd row. When he came out on stage, my proximity to him made me unable to breathe. At one point early in the show, he stood directly in front of me and sang Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay... Its a good thing he didn't sing the whole song because I'm pretty sure my heart stopped, and I know I forgot to take a breath. So the lack of oxygen to my brain is making it difficult to remember all the details!

I will post a review soon, but for now its time to put some money in a slot machine an see if I can finance this trip! lol

Jody, the experience is much more important than a review! Enjoy the rest of your trip. We can wait for you to come off of cloud nine !

As usual, I just type what pops in my head, in no particular order. Here it goes! I went to the Friday late show and had seats in row D all the way on the right side. Amazing! I could see the twinkle in his eye, his whiskers, the little crinkle lines around his eyes when he laughed... (see earlier post about lack of oxygen ) I'm fairly certain that I'm further away when watching him on tv in my living room. He looked great and sounded great! Had on the usual uniform of black button down shirt, jeans, black ball cap.
    When he came out he seemed really pumped. He started off by thanking the sponsors: Steve Wynn, anddddddd that's it. lol He mentioned that he would be turning 50 soon. Everyone cheered and he said "I'm glad YOU'RE happy about it..."
    I can't remember the context, but he was naming some of the greatest artists ever in music, and someone yelled out "Garth Brooks!". He laughed and said "Yeah. Garth Brooks WISHES!". The general pattern of the show was the same as the four other Vegas shows I attended, but the stories were changed up a bit. There were some new details in the stories - his mama's lead foot, meeting James Taylor, and those jeans his nephew wanted - that I hadn't heard previously. He also told a joke: Two ranchers are bragging about the size of their land. One says "I can get in my truck and three and a half hours later I'll still be on my property." and the other rancher says "I used to have a truck like that."
    He sang snippets of a couple of songs I had never heard before. I think one was by Keith Whitley (and it wasn't Don't Close Your Eyes. He sang most of that one). He only sang a line or two and I'm not even familiar enough with it to remember the lyric. He did Jim Croce's "Operator", a first for me, and now I see why some of you PGers love hearing him do it!
    He talked about how Mrs. Robinson was a song about a cougar about to devour some 18 year old kid, and said he wanted to write a song about a cougar that was about to devour an 18 year old kid. Then he launched into That Summer. The best part was about half way through it, he dropped the guitar and sang it a capella. It was so good!
    During the "60s" portion of the show, I looked at the audience to my left and every single person had the same idiotic grin on their face. Glad it wasn't just me
    When he was talking about Bob Seger's music, he did the hand gesture indicating cojones that hang to the floor, and said Seger's music "has....whatever the politically correct word for 'balls' is." lol
    He did his spot-on impressions of George Strait and Bob Dylan... He did a hilarious impression of John Anderson! Then when he brought Trisha out, she asked him to do it again, and he did.
    Garth asked Trisha to name some of her influences and together they named several. Then Trisha sang a snippet of a song I had never heard (I really should takes notes. lol) and it was beautiful. Garth said "Yes! Anything you want, the answer is yes!". Trisha said she uses that at home also. Then she said "Honey, can you take out the trash?" and then starts into Crazy by Pasty Cline. I would have loved to hear her do that whole song. Crazy reminded Garth of a story about a fellow country artist. He said he wouldn't say who it was, and then goes on to tell a story about this singer having a woman knock on the bus door and invite herself in. (Then he looks at Trisha and says "And it wasn't me!"). The woman leads him to the bed (at this point Trisha says "It wasn't me either!") and asks the singer if she can do something for him. He's thinking "heck yes!" and then she starts singing Crazy... G & T seemed to find the story pretty funny and they said its alot funnier if you know who the country artist is.
    Garth and Trisha did IAE. Then he said he would open things up for requests. He stood at the edge of the stage with his hand raised, jumping up and down saying "PICK ME! PICK ME!". She called on "the guy there in the black" and he asked her to sing Walkaway Joe... Teased her about doing duets with other men... As he was getting ready to play it, he strummed a bit and asked if it was the right key. Then he said "Is this the key HE played it in?" and she said "If it makes you feel better, I didn't enjoy it." lol Then he went all the way to the front of the stage (so she wouldn't mess up his flow, he said) and started the intro. About the time she took a deep breath to start singing, he stopped playing and just left her hanging. Trisha said "Is that all you got?" and Garth said "Just what a man wants to hear from a woman!". Everyone had a good laugh at that and he started to play again except he played it longer and said "Let me see if I can double the length for you." The audience was roaring and Garth got to laughing and had to go get a drink of water. Trisha turned to the audience and said "I hope you don't think this is planned dialog." Maybe you had to be there, but it was really funny!
    Trisha sounded great but looked a bit tired. Not surprising, considering what she's been through recently.
    Garth didn't close the show with The Dance, which was a pleasant change to me. He sang it a few songs from the end. He closed with FILP. No audience requests and no encore! Not sure if that's a reflection on the crowd, or just changing things up. He played for 2-2.5 hours. The crowd stayed and cheered after he left for 2 full songs. This seemed to frustrate the security guys down by the stage. They're all grumpy anyway. Finally a guy in a suit signaled to the sound guy to cut the music. I had my eagle eye trained on a pick that fell out of Garth's pocket on stage, but a guy that came out to pick up his guitar picked it up and wouldn't let anyone have it. Bummer!
    That's all I can think of!
    Jody
    Last edited by GarthFanIU; 11-09-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling, spelling, spelling

Thanks so much Jody! It sounds like Garth and Trisha were having fun with each other. I love the "double the length" comment . When I met Trisha, I suggested she and Garth change things up and do different duets. She made a comment about Garth giving her grief about doing duets with other guys. So, I do think part of this banter on stage happens at home. I remember Garth telling Larry King that he would never do a duet with anyone other than his wife. I think he said it was something like 39 songs that his wife has collaborated on. It might've been more. I would need to re-watch the interview. Anyway, it was a lot!

Too bad he didn't take requests, but it sounds like it was a good show! Thanks again for all the details!

Tracie

Thanks for that review and the details. I so need to get back there.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Thanks everyone for the detailed reviews, they never fail to put a huge smile on my face. I'm truly impressed (and thankful) you guys with front row seats remember so much.....I think it took me 1/2 the show to come out of my daze.

Just out of curiosity, any theories as to what determines if he takes requests or not?

LostSessions,

Can you delete some of your private messages? I'd like to send you a PM, but it says your inbox is full. Thanks.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

You can now send me a PM Lowland_Kid. Sorry about that.
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

Thanks no problem
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

+ Reply to Thread