+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CMT 20 greatest Men, 20 years!

CMT 20 greatest Men, 20 years!

CMT has a poll up and Garth is an option! 20 Greatest Men, 20 Years. Let's get Garth up there!

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/greates...oll_main.jhtml

Garth was number 10

20. Zac Brown Band
    19. Randy Travis
    18. Dierks Bentley
    17. Hank Williams Jr.
    16. Willie Nelson
    15. Brooks & Dunn
    14. Vince Gill
    13. Johnny Cash
    12. Trace Adkins
    11. Rascal Flatts
    10. Garth
    09. Jason Aldean
    08. Blake Shelton
    07. Brad Paisley
    06. Toby Keith
    05. Keith Urban
    04. Kenny Chesney
    03. Tim McGraw
    02. George Strait
    01. Alan Jackson

Alan over Garth's own idol - Pathetic! AJ wouldn't be where he is at if it wasn't for Mr. Strait, and he knows that.

I DVR'd this show and had to turn it off after I saw Jason Aldean in front of Garth. I like JA and all, but c'mon! Also, it seemed like the previous 10 artists had much longer segments than the one for Garth.
    Garth also didn't even make the list on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time". Whatever.

I'm watching the top 50 videos of the 90's hosted by Neal McCoy. I'm sure Garth will be in here somewhere. Any guesses as to what video(s) make it in? Looks like it airs every night this week at 7 central on GAC. I personally prefer the 90's over today's country.
    Heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís just beyond the fear. No, heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís for us to find it here.

I was very disappointed in the Garth segment. I mean he got maybe 2 minutes air time compared to some that had 15 minutes and plus. They didnt even play any of his songs...this man deserves more than that.

Emily
    Son, it ain't what you're driving Or the clothes that you wear Material possessions Won't matter up there And someday in heaven...When the angels all sing These rags that I'm wearin' Will be fit for a king...

I know we all hate to admit it, but Garth just isn't the "it" guy in country music anymore. Maybe he'll get that way again if/when he starts recording and touring again. But this was voted on mainly by CMT's young audience and a lot of the young people just haven't been introduced to Garth or they probably see him as "old" country, as crazy as that sounds.

I would not worry about where Garth ranked on this list. Garth is not touring now so things are on the low key. If you were in the building at any of the more recent arena shows in KC, LA, or Nashville you know the magic is still there and nothing can touch it. Even the Vegas show has its own magic... It might not be 19,000 out of their minds people singing together as one, but you may get to hear an a cappela version of The Change in a room built for sound. Thats very cool too, believe me! The connection between Garth and the fans is unmatched by any artist on this list.

-Monica

personally I have absolutely no faith in the country music audience anymore especially with the crap songs that they've been liking. Country audiences would not hesitate to throw Garth under the bus, he would have no chance in hell to make it if he started his career today. I've been going outside the Nashville Country music world lately, primarily in Texas and the songs that I'm hearing, not only are they 100x better than Nashville but they would have no chance in hell of being hits on Billboard.

vegithoth...I don't know..I think Garth would make it just fine if he started today..I think country fans are the most loyal fans in any music genre...

As for Texas country music....to each their own, but I prefer mainstream Nashville country ...

Quote Originally Posted by garthiu View Post
    Garth also didn't even make the list on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time". Whatever.
    You saw this too?!? Oh my goodness! I was so mad!!! How can Garth not even be on this list? Record sales would suggest otherwise, VH1!!!!
    "You know the woman wants her cowboy....."

The connection between Garth and the fans is unmatched by any artist on this list.
    Monica, I totally agree!

Just FYI, Tomorrow Never Comes came in at number 39 in the top videos of the 90's. She's in Love With the Boy was 38. I haven't watched tonight's countdown, but I'm fairly certain The Red Strokes has to be in there somewhere!

Tracie
    Heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís just beyond the fear. No, heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís for us to find it here.

Well, no Red Strokes, but The Thunder Rolls came in at number 24. The Dance was the number 1 video of the 90's! I know this thread started as 20 greatest men in 20 years but I didn't want to start a new thread for videos. I pretty much quit listening to country radio once Garth retired so it was nice to hear songs and videos I remembered .

http://blog.gactv.com/blog/2011/08/1...os-of-the-90s/

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by garthiu View Post
    I DVR'd this show and had to turn it off after I saw Jason Aldean in front of Garth. I like JA and all, but c'mon! Also, it seemed like the previous 10 artists had much longer segments than the one for Garth.
    how many country artists did make the list?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

In the USA, the best country in the world
    hmm- if it's the same list as it was here http://stereogum.com/495331/vh1-100-...all-time/list/

then no country artists made the list, and thus- honestly it's not surprising that Garth wasn't' listed at the top or near it..

He definitely is one of the top artists of all time, if not the top one- but in the world of rock that is VH1? ehh, well we'll leave it there- I mean, heck they put billy joel at #51 and KISS( like em or hate em, they are easily one of the most influential (and best, IMO- live at least) bands ever... ...

now, if VH1 did a top 100 COUNTRY artists of all time? Garth darn well better be up there if not the top one
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    how many country artists did make the list?
    Johnny Cash made the list. I can't think of any others.

Yep. Johnny Cash is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that made the list. Still a crock to me though. Country or not, Garth is undoubtedly one of the best!!
    "You know the woman wants her cowboy....."

+ Reply to Thread