+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Story

My Story

Hi Garth Fans! My name is Leeann, but you can call me Spunky. I'm a VERY long time reader, brand new member. I would like to share my long drawn out story with you, mostly because no one else cares LOL.

I grew up rather poor, when I was around 12 years old my Mom married a man, that I wasn't very fond of. To try and win me over he gave me a stereo with a CD player! Wow that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen a, CD player. Well he was a country fan, (not me, I liked R&B myself) so if I wanted to listen, I had to listen to what HE had. All I could stomach was Ropin the Wind, Garth Brooks, and a couple of Reba's.

As the days went by, I began to let Garth grow on me, "This stuff's not so bad" . I turned in my backwards hat and baggy jeans into a cowboy hat and boots. They divorced after about a year so bye bye stereo. Out of site out of mind.

A couple of years later I was getting dressed for school watching CMT. A video came on, "White room, cool...Red, is that blood? No it's paint." Moonlight on canvas .... "Omg that's that Garth dude I use to listen to, he's a hotty" Needless to say I was late for school that day, had to watch it all. I talked about that video for months after. When I got my own job with my own money the first thing I bought was In Pieces. I was so excited I took a picture of it and took it to school.(lmao) I found a VHS movie with a Red Strokes cover. Bought it, watched it and realized he wasn't just another pretty face, his hearts as big as that hat he's wear'in! "They make men like that?" Not very good male influences in my life, if you can't tell. And from that it all began... What I have always called "Garth Obsessed"

This means when his name is spoken, he is on TV, a story about him is told, or a song of his is played, I cry uncontrollably.

A story or 2 or 10 since that time....

I had always wanted to go to Nashville were he got his start and to my knowledge he lived @ the time. One Saturday morning my boyfriend and I decided we could go there if we drove there and straight back and didn't have to get a hotel. We walked into the Country Music Hall of Fame....A lady was sobbing as she was leaving. I said to my boyfriend, "What's wrong with that chick? I bet she's a relative of someone famous, why else would she be crying, that's crazy!"

I looked around the place, in the room where the signed guitar sat in it's case there were 2 people looking around. My boyfriend yells "Hey Garth's guitar is in here, come on!" This overwhelming feeling came over me.."Umm, I can't right now." After the others went on about their business, I stepped in the room.. saw it. I raised my head up with the biggest smile on my face you'd ever see and you guessed it..I was sobbing uncontrollably like the crazy lady I met on the way in LOL.

Next stop was Opryland Hotel. The minute I stepped foot in there I began looking around..I tell my boyfriend, "He's here, I can feel it" He proceeded to tell me I was insane. I couldn't help it, I just had this feeling. I was looking in all the rooms, peeking in windows, following anyone with a cowboy hat on. Around 5:30pm we headed home. A couple days later I was up late 2am or so flipping channels, "Those steps look familiar." The voice on the screen said something like this "Saturday at 6pm the Opryland Hotel hosted the Songwriter's awards with a special performance by Garth Brooks.." I KNEW he was there! and of course I missed it....Garth Obsessed

When I was around 20, He came to a town about 2 hours from me, I had already heard people had been camping out for days for tickets. I couldn't do that.. I had bills to pay and a job to keep. There's no way in hell I was getting tickets. They had created an all Garth radio station for the occasion. So during the concert I sat out in my car and listen to it and cried.
    A few days later a customer came into my work "You're a Garth fan right? You go to the concert? It was great!" I replied "No...have to work. I couldn't camp out for tickets" Then she said it! "Honey, the first show sold out in minutes.. so he did 2 more..you didn't know that?" (what a sweetie he is)

Someone had took a big 'ol knife and jabbed it into my heart!!!!!! I swore from that day forward I was never going to a concert until I see Garth first. And then he retired!
    13 years later.. still never been to a concert.

When Wynn came about, even before prices went up, it was long out of my reach.

A friend of mine informed me that I had missed Garth on Opera while I was @ work..humm that's nice. I did get to watch most of it online. First time I had seen him in years. That ignited a spark, the old spark I use to have that I put on the back burner for kids, work, ect. I started googling (is that a word?) his name, watching interviews I've missed over the years, and coming on here reading again....You know you're a Garth fan if ...post was GREAT! Then I said Ok that's it.. I'm checking to see how much Wynn tickets are to see just how far out of reach it is....and then it happened! Nashville tickets for sale? Huh? $25 Huh? That's not so far out reach.. I could actually go to this. I need a Credit Card, but it's Christmas time, 2 kids to buy for, after tickets and gas they'd be going without presents this year ..MOM. After explaining to her this is all I ever wanted. My "Bucket List" says..see Garth and that's all. "It can be my birthday and Christmas present!" I begged to her. She says "I wasn't gonna get you anything for either". OK then.. I would pay her back after I got my tax refund in. She still didn't understand why I would spend money on a concert ..Then I said it "Mom this should end this Garth stuff for good, I mean after seeing him I should be done right?" So I got the card! Crying at work, (I'm not an emotional person BTW something about that man does it to me!) hands shaking, punching in numbers "could this be true?" Order approved. Dec 20th section 117 row KK! OMG! I don't remember much else that happened that day, it was all a blur.

I had just enough money to get there and back.. NO T-Shirts, NO food..there and back!

Can you believe I didn't cry while I was there? Strange huh.. looking at the pictures on my camera later was when it set in..I did it! Then the tears came.
    Now, is my "Garth Obsessiveness" finally over after all these years? Nope, much worst.. Now I'm a member, not just a reader of PG..Lord help us all.
    Thanks for reading and if you didn't read it I don't blame you. Just wanted to share my story with "Garth Obsessed" people like me. Oh, and for the record, I got my tax refund back, paid my Mom and the stuff I couldn't get while I was there, I got @ Garthbrooks.com..came in today. Thanks Garth YAWN

Awesome story Spunky glad you got to see Garth in concert & welcome to the planet

GREAT story! Welcome to PG. Glad your dreams came true!

Sorry it was so long guys, but I could have went on for days lol Thanks and more than glad to be here!

I'm having such an emotional day! Parts of your story jut made me tear up. Thanl so much for sharing your story. Dreams do come true...
    Heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís just beyond the fear. No, heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís for us to find it here.

Awwwe I'm sorry I'll give you a pretend hug a hug always helps.

Welcome to PG! You've come to the right place to share with others who understand.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us...and the stories are never too long. So glad you were finally able to go to a show.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

good story

Hey, thanks for sharing your story with us. You sound a lot like me. Congrats on your first show and I hope you are able to see many more. Unfortunatly life isnt going to get easier now that youve seen him though... lol Hes VERY addictive!! Ive seen him 10 times now and Im still dying for more. Funny that you said that about a concert was all you wanted and now your wanting even more. Welcome and good luck in the future..... Ps.... I know the prices are horrible for vegas but OH my! any garth fan really should see that show. I saw it last year and since then Ive been saving my spare change and money to go again.

I don't personally don't know any Garth fans, so when I tell stories or talk about him I get a lot of rolling eyes. Nice to let myself go here. Sara, I read the reviews where people were complaining about him talking to much...I was like YAY I'd rather listen to him talk than hear a song any day! As for right now I'm saying..maybe some day.

Loved your story. I think every Garth fan has a story... and they all start out that the music just grabbed ahold of them and that was it.... Garth has a way of doing that. So glad that you got to see his show. Hope you get to see more... Never stop believing!!!

I agree and I love reading other people's stories. He's one of those things you just can't get out if your head..OMG maybe he's a Warlock! He's put a spell on us all! lol

Oh he has definately cast his spell

Awsome.

Great story - I've not been here in a while but there is definately something about that guy!

Hi, I'm a new member myself, but I just wanted to say that your story was great. I've still yet to see a Garth concert, and I'd love to see the whole big stage show, but I'd settle for the Vegas show gladly. Just the chance to see him in concert would be fantastic! Anyway, hopefully one day I'll be able to tell my own Garth story.

P.S. I noticed that some posters have signatures at the bottom of their posts. How do I set that up? Lol, thanx, folks.

Welcome to PG!
    Well, trust me Tim, one time is never enough. Don't give up hope (like I did) you'll get there! I would love to see the Vegas show. Thinking of putting a "Saving up for Vegas" tip jar on my desk @ work. lol
    I think you have to be a premium member to get a signature, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hi, I'm a new member myself, but I just wanted to say that your story was great. I've still yet to see a Garth concert, and I'd love to see the whole big stage show, but I'd settle for the Vegas show gladly. Just the chance to see him in concert would be fantastic! Anyway, hopefully one day I'll be able to tell my own Garth story.

P.S. I noticed that some posters have signatures at the bottom of their posts. How do I set that up? Lol, thanx, folks.
    Welcome to PG.

To set up a signature, go to the Forum Actions link drop down near the top of the page and select Edit Profile. On the left side of the page are several settings that you can change, one of which is Edit Signature where you can set up your signature.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Your story is very beauty full.

Thanks Amana and thanks Paula!

No problem..

+ Reply to Thread