+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reviews of November 19-November 21 Shows

Reviews of November 19-November 21 Shows

Here's a placeholder for the upcoming weekend's shows. Can't wait to read everyone's reviews. Have a great time!

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Heading to Vegas tomorrow morning for my second round of shows! I'll be back home on Tuesday so it'll take some time before I can post here - Sorry
    Tiina

OMG!!! It is all that has been written!!

Much more later

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    OMG!!! It is all that has been written!!

Much more later
    ...and we are holding you to that promise. You're going to another show, right? Enjoy yourself and say hi to Main, Sandi and Tiina.

Paula

Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Yep. Going to late show tonight

Summary of last night (will do detailed one when I get home): Garth's voice is 100%!! The man has still got it!

looking forward to hearing about it!!!

and Yes, i can not believe how GREAT, AWESOME, UNBELIEVABLE, etc, his voice sounded in that theater!!!

My hubby and I saw the 10:30 Saturday show and the Sunday night show. This was our 2nd time seeing the shows. Garth sounded amazing. He didn't wear his typical hoodie, but a black button down shirt, and it looked like the same exact shirt and pants both days. Trisha, however wore a different outfit both days... and looked amazing by the way. She had some kick ass rhinestone boots on!
    Both shows were amazing. He didn't have any audience participation on Saturday. He did sing a song that he said is unfinished and has never played before. I can't remember the name of it, but it was about seeing an old flame in an autograph line and she had never married because she wasn't over him, but he had and etc. Seemed like a hit, but I was so excited, admittedly, I cannot remember the words.
    He did the cutesie bantor with Trisha and was just amazing on Saturday night. He sang for about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Sunday, was by far the best! He was in rare form. I think he was a little tired because he flubbed up a few times. In fact, when he was attempting to say "politically correct", he accidentally said "clitically correct", and then started laughing so hard and said "Did I just say that"?, then said "wow, it just rolled off my tongue, if you know what I mean". The crowd was laughing and he was so red and embarassed that it took him a bit to compose himself. So cute, and it's nice to know he is a little saucy, if you what I mean!!
    He did did take several requests from the audience. A girl from London requested "We Shall Be Free", and he sang it so great! I love that song. He also sang "American Honky Tonk Bar Assoc", but messed the lines up a little, lol. He also sang "The River" by request. He sang "Allison Miranda" to the girl he wrote the song for, which was quite a coincidence because he sang that song to her this summer when I attended. I don't know who that girl is or what she did to get a song written about her, but she is some kind of lucky! He sang "Operator" by Jim Croce, better than Jim Croce sang it (RIP Jim ). And he has added songs by Keith Whitley. I love that song "Love from 10 feet away" and he sang it beautifully! He is by far the most amazing entertainer ever.

I was quite surprised that you can still buy tickets for any of his shows in Dec, Jan and Feb. I guess the ticket price increase has affected sales. If I can talk my hubby into it, maybe we can go back. Las Vegas is an expensive town, so I still don't think $225 is a lot to pay for his show, as you get more than your $ worth. I sure hope this doesn't change whether he continues to stay there. I think Steve Wynn needs to realize that Vegas is a very expensive town, so raising the tickets up by $100 may mean the difference of someone taking the show in or not.
    Even for me, I won't get to see two shows like I did this time. It's just too much for a couple to go twice.

Wow the second time (November 20th and 21st)!

It’s amazing how one never gets tired of listening to this dynamic duo weaving their magic. I mean Garth and Trisha can move straight to stand up comedy if they ever quit singing – I love their tender bickering.

So, my second trip to Vegas this year – wasn’t supposed to happen but hey, what can you do… Somebody (whose name starts with a G) took a hold of my soul and won’t let go. This time I flew via London and Los Angeles. I had tickets for Saturday late show and Sunday. My plane arrived late at LAX so I missed my connection to Vegas. The lady at the American Airlines counter tried to say that the next available flight would be on Sunday. I was ready to do bodily harm to someone if I didn’t make it to Vegas before ten pm. I guess it showed on my face because they found me a United flight which would arrive at Vegas 9.20 pm. So knowing I wouldn’t have a minute to spare before the show I changed my attire and freshened up at LAX ladies room (waiting the whole time to be arrested for public lewdness). Luckily the wind pushed our plane so we arrived at 9 pm. I had called ahead to make sure nobody at the Wynn box office got in their head to give away my will call ticket just because I was late to claim it. I grabbed my ticket and had enough time to throw my things to my room and change shoes. I was a little light in the head after travelling for over 24 hours with hardly any sleep. But the minute the show started I forgot every other thought…

Garth announced that the audience of the first show on Saturday had been only a snack so we weren’t going to give him any BS. And so we got on a whirlwind journey of his musical influences. God, I love hearing that voice. He might be reading the phone book and I would be mesmerized. I already knew the stories so I could concentrate only on his voice and the reactions he draws from the audience. Let me tell you - he’s the master and commander of that room! What he wants, we give him.

Trisha came along for IAE, She’s In Love With The Boy and Walkaway Joe. They were funning around and almost couldn’t sing for laughing. Garth commented on the fact that Trisha’s had like a hundred different men singing duets with while he’s only had one – her. Maybe we should have reminded Trisha about Garth’s duet with Martina McBride on The Lost Sessions

The crowd was yelling and singing along nicely. I had the impression Garth was riding his voice harder compared to April shows – might he be trying it out for Nashville? 9 shows in six days will be a strain.

The differences: The Dance partly only with us singing, no house lights on or audience request session this time. And he sang the unfinished song!!! You could hear a pin drop during it, everyone was so focused on listening. He also thanked the audience for keeping things inside the Encore walls to make it possible for him to do it. I try to concentrate only on my feelings of the show rather than the set list to honour that.

Garth and Trisha had both definitely lost some weight. Garth melted everyone’s heart by saying to Trisha that he loves her for a thousand lifetimes. They are so sweet together.

On Sunday noon (I slept like the dead for seven hours) I met up with Spud, Main, Sandi and Sue. Thank you guys! I love meeting other G nuts.

Sunday’s crowd was definitely more rowdy and Garth was on a higher gear because of it. Trisha came along for IAE and Walkaway Joe only. This time Garth took audience requests at the end. He told us how he has been along Trisha’s concerts to pick up on what works with the audience (as if that wizard of Garthland needs any tips…) and that’s how he came to this request/ question session.

He picked up people from different parts of the theatre to be fair. A lady on the front row of the balcony requested Which One of Them (will be you tonight) just because she liked it and Garth told that it had been one of first three songs he brought to be cut on a record. He sounded brilliant singing it. A couple on orchestra right (near me) requested The River because it’s so inspirational. She had introduced Garth’s music to her man. AHTBA was a request from a couple on orchestra left (front row). Garth shook the man’s hand and the lady got her handshake as an afterthought, as it seemed. Garth definitely doesn’t want the males to be jealous of their spouses A lady at orchestra centre requested Allison Miranda and Garth told the story behind that name (the twins that had an open house for his fans at the beginning of his career when “not too many people came”). The last request was from a lady from the balcony with a flag. Garth told he had noticed her flag on Saturday, too and asked what it was. The lady told she was from Birmingham, UK and that it was the flag of that area. That made Garth comment about the wild people of Birmingham during his world tour (bring your helmet and jockstrap…) She then requested We Shall Be Free because it speaks of equal rights and fairness. Garth told her not to get him started on political views.

Garth had some small difficulties with the highest notes and breathing technique a couple of times (he had been straining his voice more this time?) but other than that it was pure perfection! Sunday’s crowd was better and more interactive than Saturday’s which might have led to crowd request session.

And during the final bow Garth noticed me waving my small sheet which read “See Ya In Nashville” and pointed at me and said something I couldn’t hear, laughed and made my day!

I started back home on Monday 5 am and arrived at my apartment 23 hours later, exhausted and elated at the same time. So ‘till December and Nashville!!

PS. I’ll start planning for the next Vegas trip no matter what the ticket price is You don’t need alcohol or drugs to get high with Garth around.
    Tiina

GREAT GREAT recaps!!! thanks!!! so wish i could go back to Vegas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiina4GB View Post
    On Sunday noon (I slept like the dead for seven hours) I met up with Spud, Main, Sandi and Sue. Thank you guys! I love meeting other G nuts.
    Tiina!! So, so great to meet you. And I'm so glad you made it! Sorry we had so little time, but hope to see you in Nashville!!

-sandi
    Cowboys and angels leather and lace
    Salt of the earth meets heavenly grace
    It's a long way to heaven
    And one hell of a ride

It was a FANTASTIC event, and it was awesome to see some old friends (Main, Sandi) and meet new ones (Tiina and Sue)!

Thanks for the reviews. Love to read them and "hear" the excitement in the words.

Spud, you're not off the hook you know. Still waiting for your review and thoughts on the shows you attended.

Paula

Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Thanks so much for the reviews! I can't wait to go back. But I'm in protest mode until I hear from GB about the price increase. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy Nashville! Tina, what nights are you going to be there?

You don’t need alcohol or drugs to get high with Garth around.
    I definitely agree!

Tracie
    Heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís just beyond the fear. No, heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís for us to find it here.

I had the distinct pleasure of arriving home from three days of visiting Australia, then leaving for Vegas only 36 hours later. I arrived and met up with two PGer's whom I have met several times before. (Awesome people, I might add). With them was another wonderful lady who was there for the shows. I had tickets for the Friday show, and the late Saturday show.

Checked into the Encore, and saw decadence and a LOT of extremely affluent people. The rooms are VERY nice, but in all honesty, not my style. I'm pretty laid back. All I need is a comfy bed, TV and a hot shower. If it was not part of the package, I would have stayed elsewhere at a fraction of the cost.

Had lunch with my friends, checked out the theater where the show was to be held, and got my tickets.

Friday night: Lines were formed, but the ushers kept us moving and we were seated soon enough. Our seats were about 12 rows up, on the right side. Lights when low, and Steve Wynn's voice filled the auditorium, reminding us how hard it was to drag Garth out to Las Vegas to perform. (He DID mention that it took a business jet to make it happen )

Then, from stage left, out runs Garth. There he is, 30 feet away. Blue jeans and a black button-down. He grabs his guitar, adjusts his head-mounted microphone, says hello and then BOOM! Off to the music. He then starts talking about music from 1962 to today. Music that moved and influenced him. Along the way, he sings these songs, Songs you all have heard at one point. He talks about his mom and dad- and how they had very different music tastes. This in turn offered Garth diversity in the music which he heard.

He moves on to the seventies- the crazy seventies. He fondly sings James Taylor and Don McClean among others.

Off into the 80's and he brings up the George- Strait that is...

Then he talks about the class of 1989- his class of artists who hit the music scene when he did. He then introduces his favorite- Ms. Yearwood and they sing- sometimes together (Walkaway Joe), sometimes alone. The banter was hysterically funny.

Then, its all Garth from there

Intermixed with this is COMEDY. VERY, VERY funny comedy. Besides singing, that man can tell a story- and make it hilarious along the way.

Believe it or not.... He drops and F-Bomb or two, along with some "S" words!

Just Garth, sounding INCREDIBLE- and his guitar. The man has obviously rehearsed, both his guitar and his voice.

The show went a bit over two hours. No requests were taken.

Saturday was much the same, but 20 minutes longer. We were seated 6 rows from the stage- dead center. On that night, he sang the unfinished "Autograph" song, as well as a few more Garth songs. Also sang "In another's eyes" with Ms. Yearwood. He messed with her a bit more, causing her to re-start "Walkaway Joe" three times.

My only complaint was the EXTREMELY drunk trio sitting in front of us. The female was by far the worst. For some stupid reason, she thought the show would be better if she talked VERY loudly while Garth was singing. Security finally came over and told her to pipe down. She got mad, then all three left before the show was half over.

You see, this is not a Garth concert. It's not the "party" atmosphere that you would find at a full-band show. No, this is an intimate setting where you are expected to hear the pin drop.

On Sunday, I got to meet another new person- a PG'er from a land far away who endured a hectic trip to get to Las Vegas. We spent about three hours together at the Stratosphere. It was GREAT meeting her, and making a new friend. I very much hope to meet her again.

Folks, these shows are an incredible experience. Would I pay $253 in the future? Probably. Maybe in a year or two I will go back.

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Brooks. You are, and always have been a fantastic artist.

--spud--

Thanks Spud. Sorry you had to endure the obnoxious group on Saturday, but at least they left so you could enjoy the remainder of the show. He didn't sing the Autograph song on either of the two note that I was at in early November, but I did hear it when I went in January. Hope he finishes it and puts it on his next release, whenever that may be.

Paula

Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Excellent reviews - so well written, bringing me right back to that theatre where he most definitely captivates the audience. Thanks for taking the time to capture the shows

Great reviews! Sounds like the shows were amazing as always!!!

+ Reply to Thread