+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Callin' Baton Rouge in Nashville :-)

Callin' Baton Rouge in Nashville :-)

I got to thinking about what Garth and the band may have in store for us during the Nashville shows, and then I remembered something Garth shared during his Vegas shows regarding his performance of Callin' Baton Rouge. Not wanted to spoil anything for anyone, but those of you who have seen Garth in Vegas should know what I'm talking about. So, do you think it will change how he performs CBR in Nashville?

You must spill!! He didn't sing CBR when I was there!!!!

I think he'll keep it the same :-( you know cause he uses his guitars to hide his gut or so he says too. Plus I'm not entirely sure I believe what he said, you know how he pretends to not be able to do things that he can.

Plus the people who have seen him in Vegas will probably be a minority in Nashville.

Ah! I want to know!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJsgotGBfever View Post
    You must spill!! He didn't sing CBR when I was there!!!!
    He didn't sing it for us either, he just told a story.

He didn't sing or say anything about CBR in the shows we went to this past weekend - so please spill - what did he say??!

Quote Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
    Plus the people who have seen him in Vegas will probably be a minority in Nashville.
    True, but he must have shared the story more than once.

Ok, here's the spill...

Garth admitted to not knowing how to play the electric guitar so the guitar he is always playing during Baton Rouge is never plugged in. Guess we'll have to look for a cord in Nashville.

Well... I imagine they went so far as to fake a cord in the shows (it would be played on a wireless system, regardless). All they would have to do is not turn it up on the board.

very interesting indeed - he didn't spill this secret when we were in Vegas either ... will have to watch for it in Nashville!

I heard him say that and I'm not sure about electric but it wouldn't surprise me if he really didn't play it. Just loved that story and all of his stories. I think he can play enough to get by but not like the song requires. Just my opinion.
    And now, I'm glad I didn't know,
    the way it all would end, the way it all would go, our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss, the Dance.

He did play CBR when I was there in February. At the end of the show he got on a roll starting with More than a Memory. The crowd went crazy and he followed with Standing Outside the Fire, CBR, Pappa Loved Mama, and ended with Ain't Goin' Down. He played his acoustic very well. Personally, I think he can play the electric just fine. I think he started out playing these songs and as the shows got more crazy, he played less. There is no way he could run around like he did, climb ladders, shake hands, and play every note. Plus, he didn't have a gut. I just can't see him learning all of these songs on the acoustic to prepare for Vegas. He probably had to practice though. But I do like the story he tells! He's a great storyteller and you never know what's the real truth, which makes it fun.

Tracie
    Heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís just beyond the fear. No, heavenís not beyond the clouds, itís for us to find it here.

As a guitar player, I can tell you that you can play rhythm guitar on acoustic or electric; I've seen him do his 'can't play it and use it to hide my gut' schtick, and it's just that. He plays very well, just normally lead. He also plays banjo, btw.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

You can play rhythm or lead on electric. On Calling Baton Rouge Garth is doing the rhythm. I have not seen him do a lot of lead, but he's one of the best rhythm guitarist I've ever seen. I'll have look and see if he's playing the correct chords on the Croke Park perforance. I'm interested now.

txgb_fan, I'm jealous of all the Garth songs he played when you were there! Would of loved to hear More than a Memory in Vegas...sounds you like got many more GB songs than we did.

I'm betting Garth can play a little electric guitar. he also says he no good at acoustic guitar -but from my little knowledge, he sounds great when he plays to me.

he also said his performance of Shameless would be horrible - SO NOT.

i think there's a theme.

Oh and I would LOVE to see him play the banjo!!! Adam, let me know what you think after watching Croke

So. I went back and watched my Kansas City dvd.

He is definitely playing in Callin' Baton Rouge, though it is sparse. He switches between hitting chords on big beats and playing the base line.

It is an "aww shucks" act. I mean, he can play the saxophone, too. That isn't to say that he is "great," but you have to have a certain level of competence to play for tens of thousands of people.

And I have to echo what Adam said. I am a pretty crummy guitar player, but I can recognize good playing. And he plays rhythm quite well. (He has to play quite well to accompany himself like he does in the Vegas shows. He isn't Doc Watson or Chet Atkins, or even Vince Gill or Keith Urban, but he is quite good.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlpadacas View Post
    So. I went back and watched my Kansas City dvd.
    I'm curious about your KC DVD...did you film it while there or the show broadcast to theaters?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I'm curious about your KC DVD...did you film it while there or the show broadcast to theaters?
    I'm curious too...or maybe its a recording of the show that aired on GAC?

well i can't speak for TheAlpadacas ...but my Kansas City DVD is one I recorded from the GAC airing...

Quote Originally Posted by alictf View Post
    well i can't speak for TheAlpadacas ...but my Kansas City DVD is one I recorded from the GAC airing...
    I had forgotten GAC aired it. Thanks for the reminder!

Yes. It is just a recording of what GAC aired.

What I would give for a boxed set with DVDs from each Kansas City show...

+ Reply to Thread