+ Reply to Thread

Thread: has the country music audience become a bunch of hippocrits (Garth related)

has the country music audience become a bunch of hippocrits (Garth related)

okay this has really been ticking me off for about the past couple of weeks. So the CMA Awards went and gone and Taylor Swift won Entertainer of the Year, and already some fans have gotten worked up saying that she was too young to win the award or that she was too inexperienced. Well this morning I'm reading an article about the CMA Chairperson resigning and one fan said this and I quote: "I'd resign too after all those unmerited awards went to Taylor Swift. Entertainer of the Year? Maybe (a shame though - where can she go from here?) But Female Vocalist? No way! The board of voters should resign too!"

and I'm listening to this thinking to myself WHERE WAS THE CRITICISM WHEN GARTH BROOKS WON ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR AT THE SAME TIME FRAME THAT TAYLOR WON ENTERTAINER. I mean come on Garth came around in 1989 and three years later he won Entertainer of the Year in 1991 and everyone is happy for him, now Taylor Swift comes around in 2006 and the same three years she wins Entertainer of the Year and she gets her butt chewed?

That's hippocrisy and the country music world is acting a little childish about this.

Garth is well...GARTH!!! He was also not a teenager when he came into the country music scene.... Taking nothing away from Taylor, but it is a pretty big award for someone so young. I don't think people are being chlidish about it, they just have an opinion. At least they did not get on stage while she was accepting the award like some other clown did.

-Monica

In my opinion Taylor deserved entertainer of the year...but maybe not female vocalist....

She did bring a lot of young people to country music .... sure she's sort of pop...but there are VERY few female country artists that haven't crossed over to pop in the past decade...

Who cares how old someone is....

What difference does age make. Yea she is young but very talented and deserving of everything she can get. I wish more of our young people were like her. This country would be a better place.

I like Taylor and I think she deserves all the success she has had.

I also think its only a few people who were upset.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I honestly think any complaints regarding taylor's age and deserving the award is well, simply ridiculous- Im not a huge TS fan myself- my girls, they like her. My wife? can't stand her. . BUT, if you look at the last year country wise- she's been (IMO) everything you need to be to 'win' the award.. both female vocalist and entertainer....

What's the point of the controversy? she's (for now at least) a young artist who has successfully navigated the trap of teenage stardom to become a rather good artist.. She'd be certainly a lot more deserving of say an opry membership than Dierks bentley (IMO again..)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

in breaking my silence, I do agree with plenty of your statements. But me personally I've always believed in winning fair and square, and sure I don't agree with some of the Entertainer of the Year awards that were won over the past ten years but they won fair and square.

That's what I saw when Taylor Swift won those awards she won em fair and square so to have her being criticized for winning those awards it's making me lose my patience with the country music world I've already lost all faith in country radio to the point I'll only listen to my car CD Player.

If I'm being mean than I'm sorry but that is my feeling on this matter

ok, i'd be lying if I said I was still thinking day in and out about this thread- lemme re-read up to and including your post...

Quote Originally Posted by vegitoth View Post
    in breaking my silence, I do agree with plenty of your statements. But me personally I've always believed in winning fair and square, and sure I don't agree with some of the Entertainer of the Year awards that were won over the past ten years but they won fair and square.
    I agree with that statement- fair and square definitely.. disagreeing with some of the awards, I see that and agree too. Distasteful as it is, they were fitting of the award..

That's what I saw when Taylor Swift won those awards she won em fair and square so to have her being criticized for winning those awards it's making me lose my patience with the country music world I've already lost all faith in country radio to the point I'll only listen to my car CD Player.
    I rarely listen to country for any extended period of time anymore- I'm waiting till something grabs me, but country has fallen on hard hard times, IMO- there are a lot of acts- but well, not many of them are worthwhile (again, opinion here..) I think if i read things in the post right, we agree on more than just a bit re: TS.. she won em fair and square.. she was deserving of the awards this year... why should age matter? she's one of very few bright spots in the country scene right now.....

If I'm being mean than I'm sorry but that is my feeling on this matter
    don't think you're being mean at all...

she deserves the success- no matter what the age is..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I hate how TS "snuck around" and stole Carrie Underwood's thunder with that Fearless album that just overshadowed Miss Underwood and every other country star. And Taylor's attractive and is a good songwriter, but Carrie outsings TS by a long shot, has this incredible run of eleven No. 1 hits, so she shouldn't have to take a backseat to the Pennsylvanian who did NOT deserve the Female Vocalist or Entertainer awards at the CMAs. It reminded me of the 2002 show when Alan Jackson won 5 trophies all because of "Where Were You". I love that song, it's one of his best, but you don't win awards for one song or one album. I got so sick of Alan that I hid my Greatest Hits CD in my closet for two weeks.

I always prefer the ACMs better than the CMAs, because they were more respectful to the artists I liked (Garth, Toby, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven75407 View Post
    I hate how TS "snuck around" and stole Carrie Underwood's thunder with that Fearless album that just overshadowed Miss Underwood and every other country star. And Taylor's attractive and is a good songwriter, but Carrie outsings TS by a long shot, has this incredible run of eleven No. 1 hits, so she shouldn't have to take a backseat to the Pennsylvanian who did NOT deserve the Female Vocalist or Entertainer awards at the CMAs. It reminded me of the 2002 show when Alan Jackson won 5 trophies all because of "Where Were You". I love that song, it's one of his best, but you don't win awards for one song or one album. I got so sick of Alan that I hid my Greatest Hits CD in my closet for two weeks.

I always prefer the ACMs better than the CMAs, because they were more respectful to the artists I liked (Garth, Toby, etc.)
    I'm not a big TS fan,although I do think she has accomplished quite a lot for someone so young, but what does the fact that she was born in PA have to do with her awards?

ok... I had to take a min. before responding to this- too much to do around the house and I wanted to give this time....

I have a few questions, steven. I don't agree with you on your assertions here, but well- that's not a problem, we can all disagree. I'm curious about a few things though...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven75407 View Post
    I hate how TS "snuck around" and stole Carrie Underwood's thunder with that Fearless album that just overshadowed Miss Underwood and every other country star.
    How, exactly, was Taylor "sneaking around" and "stealing Carrie Underwood's thunder"? they were both in the arena of music- they were both doing their thing- fans, albums, etc. made the difference- there was no 'sneaking around', i.e. doing anything dirty. (unless you count Kanye, but he's not much worth anything country or garth wise

And Taylor's attractive and is a good songwriter, but Carrie outsings TS by a long shot, has this incredible run of eleven No. 1 hits, so she shouldn't have to take a backseat to the Pennsylvanian who did NOT deserve the Female Vocalist or Entertainer awards at the CMAs.
    I understand you're a CU fan. Again, not a problem- Taylor's def. attractive, so is Carrie. That shouldn't be a deciding factor on much. I won't argue the 'out singing' part, as heck that's personal opinion only, and not objectively factual. I personally think they both sing well. Carrie's been around longer- had more albums (well, 1 more right now that I know of) where Taylor's still just getting going it would seem. Honestly, it sounds like jealousy and sour grapes to say that TS's awards at the CMA's weren't deserved- based on the year she had.. based on it all, I'd say regardless of whether or not I was a fan (as I've said eariler I'm not a huge fan. she has a few good songs I like ,and has impressed me so far with her character) she deserved things over Carrie this year...

It reminded me of the 2002 show when Alan Jackson won 5 trophies all because of "Where Were You". I love that song, it's one of his best, but you don't win awards for one song or one album. I got so sick of Alan that I hid my Greatest Hits CD in my closet for two weeks.
    That song won IMO on the base of the emotion of 9/11 and was over played TO DEATH. Not one of his best songs, IMO- I much prefer neon rainbow, or Don't even know her name, or little bitty. . I'm also not a huge AJ fan- I was, loved his music- saw him in concert- was bored.. not entertaining at all, IMO.. but again- that's only opinion and not factual..

The awards have as a whole become kinda blah for me. I'd love to see Garth do something that would bring himself back to the attention of both award shows/committees/voting bodies/etc.. it would make for far better (or in my opinion at least far more worthwhile) awards shows..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie526 View Post
    I'm not a big TS fan,although I do think she has accomplished quite a lot for someone so young, but what does the fact that she was born in PA have to do with her awards?
    good call maggie

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Siince this topic has gone way past being Garth-related, I am moving it to the Other Artists Forum. There will be a link in the Planet Garth Forum (to expire in 7 days) that will redirect you to this thread in the Other Artists forum.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

sounds good paula!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

didn't mean for it to happen I just wanted to get my frustrations out about this situation

I think Taylor deserved every award she won, Female vocalist, that could have gone to Carrie, but I truly do think she deserved Entertainer of the Year. If you've ever seen one of her live shows, you probably know, but she is very talented, so I'm sticking by Taylor's side

I am stuck back in the late 90s with Shania.

+ Reply to Thread