+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worlde famous Garth tsunami guitar auction.

Worlde famous Garth tsunami guitar auction.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    $50,000 starting bid? ehh- I'm not thinking it's gonna sell ... . something's not ringing true here...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Garth Guitar Auction

This sucks, but I have no choice. I hope it can go to someone who cherishes it as much as I do. Toby..

http://cgi.ebay.com/World-famous-Gar...item439b278ca7

Thats wrong
    You bought a $1200 guitar
    Tried to do something good with it
    Got something genuinely valuable as a result of Garths good wishes and after he flys it across the country has it repaired and resigns it, you want to sell it
    It cost you $1200 and you are trying to profit, you are no better than scalpers selling tickets for rediculous sums to his show.
    Makes you wonder how much Tsunami victims would have got out of the first auction

I wouldn't sell it for anything less! It means alot to me! What I paid for it is irrelevant! You have to admit that it's worth alot more than that! Do you think I should sell it for $1200? The guitar itself sells for more than that without the signature. To me, it's priceless! If I had any other way I wouldn't be doing it! Sometimes you have to make sacrifices when you have a family to take care of. Sorry you feel that way, but i'm sure you'd do the same thing. If you think I'm simply selling it just to make a profit you are wrong! I'd rather cut off my arm than sell it, especially since Garth wanted me to have it! That makes it even harder.

They would have got 100% because it was going directly to the Red Cross. That's how it works with charity auctions for tax reasons.

What would you do?

If you had a priceless gift from Garth like I do and you were on the verge of losing your home and struggling to provide for your family. Would you sell it? I'm curious if you think I'm doing the right thing. I wish there was another option. Please let me know what you think and be honest. Toby...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Quote Originally Posted by garthdownunder View Post
    Thats wrong
    You bought a $1200 guitar
    Tried to do something good with it
    Got something genuinely valuable as a result of Garths good wishes and after he flys it across the country has it repaired and resigns it, you want to sell it
    It cost you $1200 and you are trying to profit, you are no better than scalpers selling tickets for rediculous sums to his show.
    Makes you wonder how much Tsunami victims would have got out of the first auction
    This post is out of line.

That guitar would be priceless to many people and is one of Mr. Bradley's personal belongings. He can sell it for however much he wishes and should be able to do so without being called greedy. I think the story surrounding that guitar and the reason it is being sold now should be enough to discredit any such accusation.

I have a limited edition copy of "Scarecrow" that Garth signed standing 2 feet in front of me. I can promise you it is worth a lot more than the $20 I paid for it unsigned at a Sam Goody. With the memories of meeting one of my heroes and having him sign his final album before retirement means the world to me and I don't think I would trade it for even $50,000. However, if I Was hurting bad enough, I would do it. Its my personal possession and I have every right to do what I wish with it.

Comparing a charitable auction to ticket scalping is SICK and just plain ignorant. You should be ashamed of that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmusiccity View Post
    If you had a priceless gift from Garth like I do and you were on the verge of losing your home and struggling to provide for your family. Would you sell it? I'm curious if you think I'm doing the right thing. I wish there was another option. Please let me know what you think and be honest. Toby...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
    There is no "right" or "wrong"

There is only what is necessary to protect you and your family. I hate that you would have to part with your gift from Garth, but if all your options are exhausted and you truly need the money, you should do what is best for your family. I'm sure Garth would tell you the same thing. He would probably say that you don't need some silly guitar with his name on it if it can help you keep your house and protect your family.

Don't let anyone here talk you into thinking you are doing a bad thing. You have shown great nobility by your efforts to raise money for tsunami victims and again now by trying to protect your family by giving up a prized possession.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you can find a way to provide for your family and keep your guitar.

Thanks Mr. Sevens. That's the toughest part for me. What is Garth gonna think? I tried to put myself in his shoes and I agree with you. I think he will understand. My hope is that someday I will be in a position to buy it back. It means alot to me!

I don't think I'll have much luck on eBay. It will be going on the billionaire exchange also. What would you guys think it was worth if you owned it? I think it's priceless, but I have to put a price on it. I know Garth has auctioned these guitars for over $60,000 at charity auctions. I know it's different, but this guitar has an awesome story behind it too. What do you think? Toby...

I do not resile from my previous post
    It is simply my opinion
    I assume eveyone is still allowed to have an opinion.

I understand how you feel downunder, it does seem like a crappy thing to do. That's why it's so tough. I wish I didn't have to do it. I would love to keep it forever. Just wanted you to know that I feel the same way you do. I feel bad. Toby...

Fair enough
    I hope things work out for you and your family

I still have the guitar.. It's been a rough year for us.. My wife and daughter are still battling their diseases.. I cherish thus gift from Garth, but I'd Gladys give it away along with everything else I own if it would make them better..

Gladly that is..

Thanks for the update.

Prayers for your family. Hope your wife and daughter get better and that things overall get better for your entire family.

+ Reply to Thread