+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "The Garth Factor" Book - out in May

I wonder what Garth's peers are going to think of The Garth Factor?

And I don't mean the press or the critics. But the guys struggling out there everyday, hanging out in the dark corners of some bar or sound studio. The ones actually living and playing it. What are they saying to each other? And I don't mean the suits behind the desks, although I'd give anything to be the fly on the wall of those gold records. Lot's of buzzing going on in Nashville I'm sure! Ha! Ha!!

When Ihear things, I'll share!

Cool!

Invite them on over to share with us too. The more the merrier.

This probably doesn't count...

But I did find a slight Chris Gaines error, as his videos are not listed in the discography. It's to be expected, afterall, Chris Gaines ain't nothing more than a "character in a movie" and not Garth, right??

Oh how I'm loving this book! Having not been there for Garth until CG swept me off my feet, I've had to crash course on Garth's decade on my own as it was winding down, which was difficult for me because he wound me up like a tight ball of rubberbands waiting to explode! I didn't get to experience first hand any of all Patsi is describing, that, coming from her instead of the press, is like sitting down with a personal album of family memories while she helps me fill in the blanks of what I missed. Other Garth fans have been a big part of that process for me too, but now it seems we are all going through the process again with a keener awareness. It's that "building and tearin' down" thing that goes on. (And that rubber band did eventually explode, but I survived it.)

The main thing I missed was experiencing the songs with Garth and the fans as they came out and the impact on people's lives this was having. I won't go into that further as I have in the past but it is a well known fact here that the Chris Gaines project had a powerful affect on me that Garth couldn't have acheived without CG. It still stuns me to this day. And it also embarrasses me. But it is what it is.

I've only gotten as far as Patsi's sharing about the songs and making of the Garth Brooks album. It just all feels so real and so damn good!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    exactly Dale- CG was a role, a Character... not Garth (at least that's what I took from the book). t

This book was awesome, absolutely awesome- I finished it today.. thank you Patsi for such a wonderful look into Garth's career with the angles and the stories that help flesh out all that had been 'rumored' about him... Awesome job!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Just finshed the book. I thought it was great. It's nice to read some of the inside information and how things work behind the scenes in Nashville. This gave a lot of insight into how Garth was feeling at various points in his career. This book showed more of the character of the man that we have all come to respect. Loved all the Garth quotes that were throughout the book...very insightful.

Two Thumbs Up, Patsi!

-Monica

Thanks for the feedback. You have no idea how I appreciate it. I agree that the Chris Gaines music was powerful -- I still get angry about how the press turned on it. Our press seems to delight in creating controversy when none exists.

Just an alert -- I'm told that my message board is almost full....if it won't allow you to post, maybe another message board should be set up....but I have no idea how to do that!

somewhere between Nashville & Keetonville
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsi View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. You have no idea how I appreciate it. I agree that the Chris Gaines music was powerful -- I still get angry about how the press turned on it. Our press seems to delight in creating controversy when none exists.

Thanks, Patsi, for devoting a chapter to the whole CG project. It's so cool that I can find such in depth information regarding the project. Mostly have to settle for a the occasional less than complimentary media articles that were written around the time of the album's release. I totally agree about CG's music! If it weren't for Chris, there was NO way I would've ever given any of Garth's other work a serious listen. Still breaks my heart that I will never get to hear Straightjacket, Fornacopia, Apostle or Triangle.

Sherry
    Last edited by kissncry; 06-09-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    You and I keeping love alive till the last tear is cried.....

So that's who "Patsi" is. Yeah, you can tell I've been out of the loop. Going to Amazon to take a peek at this book right now

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    exactly Dale- CG was a role, a Character... not Garth (at least that's what I took from the book).
    But Scott, you've got to realize something about the CG project: When Garth laughingly says "Chris Gaines is just a character in a movie", it's in reflection of Garth's vision for music in the third dimension. Remember in Patsi's book how he says that means expanding rather than funneling the vision and emotion through music and especially video? I myself had likened the affect of all things Garth through Chris Gaines to looking through a magnifying glass rather than a microscope and getting a much better view of everything music touches, inside and out. And not just a bigger view but extreme depth of emotion which came alive in me that I could actually reach out and touch. Alot of of you fans thought I was nuts. But somehow I knew Garth knew exactly what was happening to me. I'm telling you, I could still write a book, and I practically did everyday at the Garth forums and got myself in hot water many times all by myself. Ha! Ha! I'm laughing now but I shed more tears than I care to relive even one day of. It was like being on a major emotional roller coaster ride of my life sitting opposite Garth while I'm freaking out waiting for him to flick the switch and end all this madness. (Mine.) He "tricked" me good!

Quote Originally Posted by kissncry View Post
    Still breaks my heart that I will never get to hear Straightjacket, Fornacopia, Apostle or Triangle.

I haven't gotten even near the CG chapter yet, but NEVER say NEVER Sherry!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzwuzz55 View Post
    But Scott, you've got to realize something about the CG project: When Garth laughingly says "Chris Gaines is just a character in a movie", it's in reflection of Garth's vision for music in the third dimension. Remember in Patsi's book how he says that means expanding rather than funneling the vision and emotion through music and especially video? I myself had likened the affect of all things Garth through Chris Gaines to looking through a magnifying glass rather than a microscope and getting a much better view of everything music touches, inside and out. And not just a bigger view but extreme depth of emotion which came alive in me that I could actually reach out and touch. Alot of of you fans thought I was nuts. But somehow I knew Garth knew exactly what was happening to me. I'm telling you, I could still write a book, and I practically did everyday at the Garth forums and got myself in hot water many times all by myself.
    you certianly did get yourself in 'hot water' at times for what you were writing... I can see what you're saying dale, but as much as it is about what you're saying... by Garth's own words even, Chris gaines is just a character in a movie..

Ha! Ha! I'm laughing now but I shed more tears than I care to relive even one day of. It was like being on a major emotional roller coaster ride of my life sitting opposite Garth while I'm freaking out waiting for him to flick the switch and end all this madness. (Mine.) He "tricked" me good!
    and hopefully he's just being dormant and not totally out "trickery" wise for all of us

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChristian View Post
    So that's who "Patsi" is. Yeah, you can tell I've been out of the loop.
    I've been out of it too! Welcome back!

Same here. You are like a breath of fresh air. Thanks for getting involved with us.

The media however will never "get it". I still believe The Lamb needs to be released however, with or without them! The message behind the music needs to have a clear strong voice. I think it would help cut through the crap and then *POW*! We wouldn't even know what hit us. Now THAT would make the last 10 years look very, very small...

I have to laugh at this...

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    you certianly did get yourself in 'hot water' at times for what you were writing...
    Scott..On second thought...it seems to me YOU got into your own share of scrapes all by yourself too! Ha Ha!

oh I did, I did.. I still do sometimes...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Patsi,

Thanks again for the book. I know everyone here is loving it! How was your visit with Garth?

-Monica

The visit was great -- I gave him all your messages, plus a big stack of messages from deejays who I'd talked to. He was really touched to see them all!

Trisha was working on a new cookbook and tried out a great spaghetti casserole dish on me. Her mom Gwen is WONDERFUL! The girls are so neat, and doing well in school. Sandy was over and also doing great.

Patsi,
    I just finished "The Garth Factor" and I gotta give you two thumbs up! So many things I read about Garth are repetitive, using the same old stories, quotes, etc... I really enjoyed your book and, of course, I always love anything new involving the G-man!
    Jody

The visit was great -- I gave him all your messages, plus a big stack of messages from deejays who I'd talked to. He was really touched to see them all!

Trisha was working on a new cookbook and tried out a great spaghetti casserole dish on me. Her mom Gwen is WONDERFUL! The girls are so neat, and doing well in school. Sandy was over and also doing great.
    Hi Patsi
    Welcome back.. glad you had a fun trip.. I'm looking forward to Trisha's next cookbook.
    Thanks for delivering our messages

Thanks for this, Patsi, as this more than anything confirms how down to earth and real are Trisha, Garth, Sandy and Gwen.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

somewhere between Nashville & Keetonville
    Thanks again, Patsi, for helping us stay in touch with our G Man! Now if we could only get him to come by and pay us a visit now and again here at the Planet. *SIGH*

Sherry
    You and I keeping love alive till the last tear is cried.....

Quote Originally Posted by kissncry View Post
    Thanks again, Patsi, for helping us stay in touch with our G Man! Now if we could only get him to come by and pay us a visit now and again here at the Planet. *SIGH*

Does he come on here at all?

no....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Patsi,
    Thank-you for allowing us to send a message to Garth. I have always wished I could express my appreciation of his music to him. Thanks for giving us that avenue, I sure hope he read all the messages.
    Sue

If anyone has been trying to send private messages I apologize...I finally figured out how to empty the board and let the new ones post!

Patsi,
    Great book. I recommend it for any country fan. I've follwed his career since hearing Friends in Low Places on the radio when I was a toddler. I think he's the best entertainer in the history of American music, and country music without him is like the skyline of lower Manhattan without the WTC. I love today's acts, from Jason Aldean to the Zac Brown Band, but it just isn't the same without Garth, and there will never be another one. Meanwhile, I liked the pictures of him with other country stars. Never saw the one of him with B&D or him and Ricky Skaggs. I kinda wish they'd included one of him inducting Carrie Underwood into the Opry, him and The Possum singing Beer Run on the CMAs and one with LeAnn Rimes from the 1997 American Music Awards rehearsals. In the latter, Garth is wearing a Nike ball cap and a navy blue sweater.

Regards,
    Steven

Thanks Steven -- I wish there could have been about four times as many pictures!

In the UK, praying there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
    Finally got to ordering my copy this evening - Amazon UK is showing 12-14 days delivery for the UK but I'm learning to be patient :-)

Angela x
    Gyrrwch yn ofalus

+ Reply to Thread