+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garth should do 'Idol'

Garth should do 'Idol'

Guys,

I really think Garth should be on 'American Idol.' You know when they have the singers on there to coach them on their songs? He would be PERFECT for that! I'd love to see him and Simon battle it out on something. Simon's cool.

Ooh, thought just passed through my little brain. Dare I say this: Microphone lessons I'm sooo sorry ladies, it escaped before I could say no ***ducking*** Well, I'd better leave before things get worse!

-Alicia

I think he's to humble to do AI. he down plays his talent so I can't see him telling others how to sing.

Yeah, I guess so, but it's the thought that counts!

-Alicia

Alicia, I had the same thougt. He may be humble but I think he could give some great pointers...especially about stage appearance and, uh, yeah, appropriate use of the mic.

I don't think he'd make much of a singing coach really... Garth says himself he doesn't even know how to read music(if that is truly the case, it could just be his humble persona). But at far as stage presence, putting emotion into a song, performing... which are the things the idols often lack... yeah, I think he could be a lot of help. But I don't think he'll ever do it...

Katie

I'd bet 95% of country's stars don't know how to read music.

I think Garth wouldn't tell people what they should be doing, unless the independently and specifically asked him for advice.

I think country fans in general are getting a bit sick of every idol contestant trying to make it into country. A few are ok, but enough seasons go by and it gets sickening. Especially considering they only miraculously transformed into country because of the show. Phil Stacey is a good singer, but did anybody actually listen to his rendition of "The Change"? He took the country straight out of it. The guy's not country. They also overrated his performance of that beautiful song. If you want to be the fun country singer (and in my opinion you better be a heck of a singer like Alan or George or put on an amazing show) your performance better be just as much fun.

I wouldn't expect Garth to do idol. Many artists go on Idol to revitalize their career, something Garth doesn't need by any means! I also wonder if guys like Garth that had to really work their butts off to make it in country don't get a little offended by the instant celebrities.

I'd also like to make the disclaimer here that Carrie Underwood belongs on country radio, she's great.

He may be humble but I think he could give some great pointers...especially about stage appearance and, uh, yeah, appropriate use of the mic.
    Now.. that thouught could get me to watch that show

I do watch Idol, but I have to say that I preffer the artists that get in to it the hard way. The ones like Carrie who are good enough would actually have made it even if they did it the hard way...and they would probably be more respected by their fellow artists. I do not think we will see Garth on Idol. Garth does not need any association with Idol!

-Monica

In the USA, the best country in the world
    lucas , I gotta disagree on Phil Stacey- I think he could make it in country- has a better shot than bucky covington, anyway.. heck if you look at it, only pickler, bucky, phil stacey,and carey underwood have really made a go at it (ok, I forgot, one more- Josh gracin)... it's not the country haven....
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I highly doubt that Stacey won't make it in country, I'm pretty sure he will. I just don't consider him to be real country. I consider him to be pop country. He's no Garth, that's for sure.

I'm one of those people that would like to see everybody accomplish their dream, whatever that dream may be. But when it comes to country radio, I'd rather listen to somebody more on the country side than pop side. Like... Garth for example. Just personal taste really.

Quote Originally Posted by lucaswynne View Post
    I highly doubt that Stacey won't make it in country, I'm pretty sure he will. I just don't consider him to be real country. I consider him to be pop country. He's no Garth, that's for sure.
    I can see that (pop country) unfortunately, that's the majority of country right now.. re: him and garth though- there's no comparison, because well, no one can ever be like Garth- there will never be another 'garth brooks'.. only the first 'phil stacey' or 'brad paisley' or the like.. I'm looking forward to hearing his album when it's out.... what do you consider country (for S&G... just have to know)

I'm one of those people that would like to see everybody accomplish their dream, whatever that dream may be. But when it comes to country radio, I'd rather listen to somebody more on the country side than pop side. Like... Garth for example. Just personal taste really.
    understand that actually- I dont' really listen to much on country radio anymore as it's not well, country really- not most of the time..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Some people consider country to be the straight-on-country only, I include neotraditionalists. I consider the neotraditionalists the ones that really change what country sounds like and keep it country. For example, I DO consider Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Rodney Atkins, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw - to be country even though they don't have that Merle or Willie sound.

Then there's the obvious guys like Josh Turner, Randy Travis, Waylon - who are bare-bones true country. Love their sound too.

Then there's pop-country which I'm not as big of a fan of. SOME of it I consider to be country, some I don't. Usually I'll say "these guys aren't country," haha - but that's not saying necessarily they don't belong on country radio. I think labels would be pleasantly surprised if they put out a couple more neotraditionalists wearing cowboy hats! Stop shooting for boy-band/pop style. Think about it, almost every real major superstar has had a cowboy hat. Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, George Strait, Garth, Toby Keith, Brad Paisley - all major headliners with that I consider to be a neotraditionalist sound and all wearing cowboy hats.

Hey ...there's a guy on Idol this season named David Cook. He sort of looks like CG. Not a bad singer and NOT trying to be country.

He really does have a Chris Gaines kind of thing going on, doesn't he!? Similar hair straight down to the goatee!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    lucas , I gotta disagree on Phil Stacey- I think he could make it in country- has a better shot than bucky covington, anyway.. heck if you look at it, only pickler, bucky, phil stacey,and carey underwood have really made a go at it (ok, I forgot, one more- Josh gracin)... it's not the country haven....

Technically Kelly Clarkson had the duet with Reba and she is now signed with Reba's hubby as manager. She may release something country...

it's still not the country haven. Kelly might do country- don't know if she'd be really successful or not honestly-

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I thought Kelly should have been doing country in the first place. If she does - it might be a Underwood vs. Clarkson market-share battle!

We got to see Kelly and Reba live. Kelly can sing anything but after seeing her live...I think she's a rocker at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by lucaswynne View Post
    I thought Kelly should have been doing country in the first place. If she does - it might be a Underwood vs. Clarkson market-share battle!
    ya know, I think she should have probably done country too. she has a countryish sound..

however.. I don't think it'd be a market-share battle NOW.. Carrie's too entrenched- I think it'd be seen as a pop star trying to cross over and take over.

Had she done country at the start? I think you might have something with that market-share battle idea

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I don't think Garth should do Idol in the sense that he is giving advice to the singers, but I would like to see him on the "Idol Gives Back" show. I mean, we all know how much Garth likes to help people. This would be great for Garth to do in my opinion, since it is a show about raising money for those less fortunate.
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

Seeing him on idol gives back would definitely be a good thing- a great opp. for Charity, though in a way it seems to run almost not quite AS in step w/ teammates 4 kids... but it's a great way to reach..

Simon's not a country fan though, is he..

not that he has total control..

oh well- the season (for real, the last 12) starts on tuesday!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

He's not a country fan, but he's a publicity fan... and who gets more publicity than the best selling solo artist of all time?

Sometimes I wonder if most of Garth's charitable giving is private or public. I bet it's private.

Bucky's album is Country. You're forgetting Carmen Rasmussen as well. They haven't done ANY promotion for her album, and I only heard about it 3 or 4 months after it came out.
    I like Phil Stacey's "Country" song, "If You Didn't Love Me", though I wouldn't say it's particularly Country. But I don't wanna get into all that crap lol.
    That's the way I remember it, I remember it that way
    From the day I was living it, I remember it that way
    Some of our stories fade as we grow older
    Some get sweeter every time they're told
    That's the way, I remember it that way

I don't want Garth to do Idol because I hate that program. How many Idol winners have succeeded....two and how many have lost their recording contracts???? Sorry not a fan.
    Visit my Civil War blog where I discuss the war and unique things about it at:

http://madnessmike.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by madnessmike View Post
    I don't want Garth to do Idol because I hate that program. How many Idol winners have succeeded....two and how many have lost their recording contracts???? Sorry not a fan.
    hey there mike..

Great blog btw- I love reading it... you do a great job..

onto idol, etc....

How many idol winners have succeeded? depends on your def. of success, etc.

on the winners side (as in who actually "won" it...)

Kelly Clarkson- multiple grammys... (not a fan but its' still a fact)..
    Carrie Underwood- great and still getting better
    Fantasia- Successful on Broadway-

who's succeeded but not actually won the title on Idol?

Clay Aiken- a few years ago #1 song of the year (I believe)
    Daughtry- should have won, but better that he didnt'- multi-platinum record....
    Jennifer Hudson- Oscar winner

yeah, ruben and taylor have been dropped- taylor never should have won....

its' too soon to judge Blake and Jordin though.. or phil stacey..

and heck, even if it's mild, you have to look at records by josh gracin, kelli pickler, and bucky covington..

ther has been some 'success'....

still- Garth on Idol...... I keep thinking about it.. it has promise...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by madnessmike View Post
    How many Idol winners have succeeded....two and how many have lost their recording contracts????
    1) Carrie, Kelly, Kellie, Bucky, Daughtry, Carmen Ramussen has an album out, Diana DeGarmo is still around as well. Josh Gracin has a new album coming out, as does Phil Stacey.
    2) Umm, maybe two of them?
    That's the way I remember it, I remember it that way
    From the day I was living it, I remember it that way
    Some of our stories fade as we grow older
    Some get sweeter every time they're told
    That's the way, I remember it that way

It does really matter what you consider to be success.

I only see Daughtry, Clarkson, and Underwood as true success stories. Too early to tell with Pickler and Covington.

ehh- I know she's not in MUSIC per se, but how can Jennifer Hudson not be considered a success? She won an academy award for a role in dreamgirls... there is no higher honor really in that industry..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

ok, Ive been reading this post, and got to say, I think it would be a good ideal for the Gman to this idol thing. I think the country week should be his week. Me, and the wife watch Idol, and yes we have our favs, so I have a question.. I see you guys talking idol, and I see someone mention Phil stacy. My wife loves Phil Stacy, when does his cd come out?
    I'm working 4 a livin to keep a light on!!

hey there.. it looks as if the CD will be released on April 29th..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread