+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm Still Mad at Garth!

I'm Still Mad at Garth!

I dunno why but I'm really having a hard time getting past this one.

Back when Garth recorded the Scarecrow Album and I found out that Garth was recording a duet with the greatest country singer on the planet George Jones I was really stoked. I just knew the song would be amazing. The end result didn't leave me disappointed and again Garth blew me away by anouncing that he was going to release Beer Run as the first single from the album. Then he comes up with a statement and decides to pull it saying "I think 'Beer Run' would have been the perfect first single from this album if it were not for the tragic events of Sept. 11" This really really bugged me and it still does to this day. Why not release that single. Why not give George Jones the mainstream radio play that he deserves. It is unfortunate that in todays mega media joke of a juggernaut that we call Country Radio that a legend like George must depend on a duet to have chart success. Much the same as Willie Nelson (one hell of an artist in his own right) had with Toby Keith. Jone's work up to this point has always been top notch. His most recent project was named to EVERY Nashville critics top 10 but not one single got above the top 50.

I just don't understand how Garth releasing that single affected anyone or anything post 9/11. Garth's music may have help heal some people post 9/11 (I know it did me) but I just don't see a riot breaking out about what single he releases. What I remember most about the days after those terrible events is trying to heal and return to a state of "normal". Well for some people going on a Beer Run is perfectly normal. I think Garth missed a HUGE oppertunity to pay the ultimate form of respect to Mr. Jones (an artist that we know he admires deeply) in addition to giving him well deserved chart success that he hasn't seen since the mid 90's. But also he may have missed the chance to make some new fans in the process.
    That's one career move I just don't get.

Keith

P.S. And both Garth and George did the C&C show just the other night. No Beer Run??? Why Not???

There a little saying I like to tell my daughter. "Build A Bridge and Get Over It!" :-D

As the entire world was REELING from the catastrophic events of 9/11, Garth didn't feel it appropriate to release a happy go lucky song about drinking beer. His choice. However, before his first single off Scarecrow peaked, George's label (Bandit) released "Beer Run" as George's single. His choice. Under Bandit's radio promotion, the song peaked at #24. "Wrapped Up In You" made it to #5. Capitol (Garth's label home at the time) didn't have the chance to work "Beer Run" as a second single. Quite honestly, that's always kind of bugged me. But I've built that bridge.

The two did, however, perform the song on the CMA Awards -- a huge television showcase in which the biggest selling artist in country music history could have picked and chosen what song he wanted to perform. Kudos to him for choosing to perform with Jones. Instead of being mad at Garth, you should appreciate the exposure he did give to George, who as you mentioned, can't get terrestrial radio airplay on his own.

As for the Crook & Chase show, George didn't perform on the show at all. If you saw it, you probably realize that he was doing good to just sit on the couch and talk.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Well said joyce!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Great post as usual Joyce

Get over it Keith. Life is way too short to hold a grudge for so long.

but....it is on the Ulitmate Hits! so it was definately a huge hit in Garth's eyes....

Looking back on things now years later and saying that releasing it wouldn't have had an effect, etc... is not fair thinking. In that time in that moment that is where his heart led him and what he felt was the right and respectful thing to do.. and I don't think anyone could find fault in most any decisions that anyone made in that time about anything.

Why not give George Jones the mainstream radio play that he deserves.
    Your anger is misplaced here... why is it up to Garth to get George Jones radio play??? that is not his responsibility... I would think radio is who you would need to take your gripes to.

performing it with him on the CMA's and then years later still showing how meaningful it was to Garth by putting the song on the Ultimate Hits... plus the high praise I have always heard Garth give when he talks about George... he has already gone above and beyond if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    but....it is on the Ulitmate Hits! so it was definately a huge hit in Garth's eyes....
    Charles- I know Garth had a choice in the songs... the 'ultimate hits'... . and I agree, Beer run is a great song- (even w/ it being a duet w/ George Jones- not a huge George Jones fan here- he's ok...) but man, "it's on this album so it's def. a huge hit......" there are other factors that go into song selection....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by TJsgotGBfever View Post
    Looking back on things now years later and saying that releasing it wouldn't have had an effect, etc... is not fair thinking. In that time in that moment that is where his heart led him and what he felt was the right and respectful thing to do.. and I don't think anyone could find fault in most any decisions that anyone made in that time about anything.

Your anger is misplaced here... why is it up to Garth to get George Jones radio play??? that is not his responsibility... I would think radio is who you would need to take your gripes to.

performing it with him on the CMA's and then years later still showing how meaningful it was to Garth by putting the song on the Ultimate Hits... plus the high praise I have always heard Garth give when he talks about George... he has already gone above and beyond if you ask me.
    nicely said!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

hehehe...build a bridge and get OVER it.... I LOVE that saying! I have never heard that before! I SOO could've used that last night....who are we to say what should or should'nt have been released in the midst of 911...I think he made a good decision....

I never saw the point of Garth releasing "Beer Run" since George decided to. Why would Garth release the same song off of his album when it was already getting air play??? This gave Garth the opportunity to go ahead and release another song to radio in place of "Beer Run."

Just like someone said, it obviously meant a great deal to Garth (the song that is) since Garth decided to include this song on the "Ultimate Hits."

Garth still lauds George Jones as one of the King's of Country Music...right along with the other George...Strait.
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

+ Reply to Thread