+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trisha Yearwood happy with life of singer, mom, wife

Trisha Yearwood happy with life of singer, mom, wife

Concert Preview: Trisha Yearwood happy with life of singer, mom, wife

Thursday, July 27, 2006
    By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What's a housewife to do? The kids are going crazy with soccer practice and summer vacation activities, when she returned from the grocery store the day before there was no counter space in the kitchen, and she has to share a closet with her husband. His job just got busier, she's way behind on her own work and the air conditioner's broken.

As if that's not enough, Trisha Yearwood's new husband, Garth Brooks, is peeking out of retirement with new recording projects, her first CD in four years quickly went gold then dropped off the charts and now there's some reporter from Pittsburgh on the phone asking questions.

Yearwood shrugs it off with a laugh.

"I was raised by a very logical banker, my mother was a school teacher and we grew our own food," she says. "I'm very conservative. If you came to my house in Nashville, you would think this is nice, but we don't live extravagantly. Day to day things happen, and you just deal with it like everybody else."

Everybody else, however, doesn't have 11 albums, nine No. 1 blockbusters, 10 additional Top 10 hits, three Grammys and back-to-back CMA Awards in 1997 and 1998 for Female Vocalist of the Year.

Everybody else didn't get the marriage proposal of a lifetime: In front of 7,000 fans at Buck Owens' Crystal Palace in Bakersfield, Calif., longtime partner Brooks got down on one knee and asked for her hand in marriage. When she said "yes," the crowd went wild.

Their marriage six months ago was the second for Brooks and the third for Yearwood. It arrived just as their careers were clicking back into gear.

After 12 years of nearly constant touring, Yearwood planned in 2002 to take a year off to collect her thoughts and, for a change, enjoy a more normal personal life. A year, however, unexpectedly turned into four -- a lifetime in the recording business and the longest hiatus between CDs in her 14-year career.

"I never intended to be gone that long," she says. "Once I got ready to make an album, it took longer because the songs weren't there."

Her album was nearly completed when she told producer Garth Fundis that the album wasn't working. She wanted to scrap it and start fresh with new material.

"I don't know, I guess I just picked the wrong songs," she says. "I like to listen to a lot of music. I went around to the music publishers, and it's hard with them sitting in front of you to not take anything. I'm the kind, I want to take a song because I feel bad for the guy. They weren't bad songs, they just weren't right for me, and the longer the recording process went on, the more apparent it became."

So Yearwood started over with a new batch of fresh material that she felt more comfortable with.

"It was just about finding the right songs," she says. "It's such a subjective process, it's hard to define it.

But when she was finally ready to release her new CD, "Jasper County," Yearwood found the industry had changed. MCA Nashville was undergoing major personnel changes, and the people she had worked with in the past were gone.

"All these new people were there," she says. "I didn't want to be the first album they released. I didn't want to be their guinea pig. So that delayed it even more. You know, in this business, if you've been off the radio for some time, when you get back it better be worth the wait."

"Jasper County" finally hit the record bins last September, earning Yearwood two Grammy nominations. She says it was worth the wait.

"For several years, I wanted to find a song about my home back in Georgia," she says. "Even though this song isn't autobiographical, it is about the whole atmosphere of home. One of the songwriters and I became very good friends. He said they wrote it for me."

That understated harmony vocal in the background is her husband.

And choosing the title track, she says, was a no-brainer. She's from Jasper County, Ga.

"I'm not a songwriter, but people always want to believe you wrote the songs," says Yearwood. "If you do your job right, it feels like you wrote it and are singing it for the first time. My biggest influence growing up was Linda Ronstadt, not a songwriter. I never thought that if Patsy Cline had written 'I Fall to Pieces' it would have had more emotion. I never felt I had to be a songwriter to be a complete artist. I just want to be a singer. I'd be happy singing at a Holiday Inn every night. I really just want to have a regular life and be able to sing songs."

Even if the air conditioner is broken.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06208/708862-42.stm

Although there's not any real news in the article, I love the first few sentences about her home life. Sounds a bit like mine from time to time...until you get to that part about a proposal in front of 7,000 people.

Great article. All they need to is remove the word 'mom'.

Why's that?

she's way behind on her own work and the air conditioner's broken.

It's no wonder she's behind on her work.. who wouldn't be with a sweaty, possibly shirtless Garth right in front of you?! Oh dear God, that woman is blessed!

~Ann~

Quote Originally Posted by Garth_FANtasizer
    It's no wonder she's behind on her work.. who wouldn't be with a sweaty, possibly shirtless Garth right in front of you?! Oh dear God, that woman is blessed!

HAHAHAHAHA!! Too funny! She's a lucky woman!

<<<<Great article. All they need to is remove the word 'mom'.

Why's that?>>>>>>

Apparently Garth Brad Fan has a problem with Step Mom's being referred as just "Mom".

Pammy
    Pammy

Watch a flock of birds against the morning sun
    Close your eyes and listen to the river run
    Catch a firefly in your hand or a raindrop on your tongue. That's right ....

There is a God There is a God There is a God
    How much proof do you need?

There Is A God- Trent Willmon

Well, I know a lot of people that would take issue with that, including Trisha.

Good article Sandi, thanks.
    So many people get so touchy on the step Mom or Mom issue. I'm not gonna get into all of it cause I think this has been discussed before, but at the end of the day, the children have one more person who looks out for them and loves them, that's what it's all about!
    -Susan-

Quote Originally Posted by Garth_FANtasizer

~Ann~
    How flippin' funny are you!?!?!? However, you are exactly right!

I'm sure the children have many people who love them and look out for them - but at the end of the day they only have one mother - and that is Sandy. It was irresponsible of the reporter to refer to Trisha as Mom and insulting to the girls' mother Sandy.

As someone who has a stepmother, I have to disagree Bershell. Yes, Trisha is their stepmom, not their mother, but that's still a parenting role. I always refer to my stepmom as my "stepmom," not my "mom," but she refers to all of us (her kids and her stepkids) as her children. I don't think Trisha, Sandy or the girls would be offended by the article. No one has ever insinuated that Trisha has taken over Sandy's role in the girls' lives.

I have to completely AGREE Bershell.

The air conditioner's broken? It's a brand new house for pete's sake! And as big as their house is, Trisha should have her own closet. LOL.

I don't think they've moved into that one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sandis
    I don't think they've moved into that one yet.
    Oh, I thought it was finished when they got married in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bershell
    I'm sure the children have many people who love them and look out for them - but at the end of the day they only have one mother - and that is Sandy. It was irresponsible of the reporter to refer to Trisha as Mom and insulting to the girls' mother Sandy.
    After reading Sandy's court testimony on the kidnapping case, I'm inclined to believe that Trisha is the better role model.

+ Reply to Thread