+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garth Brooks Once A Hero In Oklahoma Grass Fires

Garth Brooks Once A Hero In Oklahoma Grass Fires

I saw this posted on GAC and thought I'd share it with everyone...this is a story a lot of us have probably heard but there are bound to be some who haven't.:

-----
    The reports yesterday of disastrous grass fires ravaging parts of Texas and central Oklahoma reminded us of one of the last times grass fires threatened some of Garth Brooks’ neighbors--the time Garth went from superstar to rescuer.

At Garth’s farewell press conference a few years back, he recounted a story about how he and one of his friends happened on a bad grass fire not far from his home in rural Oklahoma. When they saw the fire was moving fast toward some homes, Garth drove into the neighborhood and he and his buddy began knocking on doors making sure people had evacuated. Garth said he found a woman and her children alone in their home and loaded them into their truck. Then the woman said he should check on the home of an elderly couple nearby.

Garth headed to the home just ahead of the flames where he rescued an elderly man and his wife. Before they left the woman asked Garth to rescue her dog, too. Garth said, “Sure.” Then he said, “I went to pick this dog up and I went, ‘God…! He was so heavy!” He said he nearly got a hernia trying to pick up this fat old dog and load him up. But he was able to get everybody, including the dog, through the smoke and out of the area as the fire trucks began to arrive to knock down the fires.

By the way, we contacted Garth’s publicist yesterday to find out if the new fires were near Garth’s home. She said she thought he lived too far away from the areas in danger, but planned to call and make sure. No word from Garth’s camp yet.
    http://www.gactv.com/news/haislop/n-update.html
    ----------

I love that story...I'm glad GAC posted it in light of these horrible grassfires. They really are bad

yeah I think that was posted here.. back when it happened

I'm sure you could find it in the achived news articles

I dont remember him ever talking about it directly... but I probably just missed that. I know at the time he didn't bring it up and his publicist actually had to call Garth and ask him about it when the story got out because he'd not even mentioned it to her.

Anyway... here's the articles from when it was first making the news... here ya go... or at least I THINK it was the same story... sounds like he may have been making the neighborhood rounds helping several families.

http://www.planetgarth.com/news/article.php?cid=403

http://www.planetgarth.com/news/article.php?cid=402
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

Garth talked about it in great detail during his Press Conference when he announced his retirement. It was quite hilarious! Here is part of that transcript:

Okay, this thing about what happened with the fire. What I’m about to do is very unprofessional, but if you don’t hear this whole story, I’m missing out. What you guys got was very sweet. The truth is I was going to a hardware store that had a fire sale. And from there, the story came. Truth is, I’m sorry, this is gonna be a long one. Truth is, I walked out of the house. Had my buddy, Ted was uh visiting from L.A. And Emmett was with me. We saw a fire we thought was in the north meadow of the farm. We got in the truck, hauled out there and found out it was a section over. Well, once we got there, we noticed we were like one of the first people there. So there was a fire coming down, the size of this table, if you’re looking at it from the sky. The field was shaped that way. Well the fire was sweeping down form a wreck that happened upwind. And sitting out in the middle was two houses. And we didn’t know how to get there, but we knew we had to get there because no one else was there yet. So, we went through a hay field and was hauling hay. And just shot through the gate, went up. And by this time, the fire is now, about 30 feet from both the houses. The flames are as tall as the telephone poles. I’m scared to death. Right when we come up to the house, you pull up and go” oh good, nobody’s here.” You know, and you start to through in reverse. And that’s when the mother ran out. Well, the two kids ran out and immediately Ted jumped out of the truck and just went for them. Well, Ted’s a$$ is a little smaller that mine, you know. And so I’m worried about runnin’ out of here, so I throw it in park just to make sure everybody’s okay. And of course, you ask the question, knowing full well the answer is no, “is there anybody left in the house?” Yes, there was one kid left in the house. And it’s like “oh my God, now what do I do?” But it was amazing. You just kind of over. You went in, popped the door. You ran in, and found out the kid was getting out of the shower. “Whoa. Wait a minute.” You know, so we got him out of there. And he was in our truck. The two kids that Ted got were in the other truck. And we met ‘em about 40 yards past the house, out in the field. When I ask “what about the house right across the street?” And I’ll never forget the ladies face. She goes, “there still in there”. And me and Ted looked at each other. And this and this was were the story just gets unbelievable for me. We turned around and looked, and both houses disappeared into the smoke. But we knew we had to go in so we just drove in. And the great thing about that that I learned is, in emergencies you can do anything. You can tear up people’s front yards if you want. So we blow in there and do the big power slide in the front thing. And I jump out and there she is. It’s it’s a lady holding an 8 day old baby. And there’s a 5 year old and 3 year old kid beside her. And they’re just staring at the fire. And so there just staring, I don’t know why they’re just standing there. And we go up and bang on the window and she looks down and and, I don’t know if she’s just extremely calm or what. But, I can’t get her to get out of the house. So, Ted just runs around and opens the door we kind of take ‘em out. And right at that moment, a fire truck comes between us and the house. Out of nowhere and saves the house. These fire guys were awesome. So we got her outta there and sent somewhere downwind to get her to a safe place, and waited to send her back to the house. When Ted looked up and said “Oh God, oh, it’s kicked up again”. And now it was moving down the field. Now here is where the story gets to be the story. There were two elderly people out in their front yard with this wienie kind of water thing. It was just drizzlin’ out water. And they were trying to wet down the road and everything. And the smoke is starting to come across. Then I look at Ted. Thank God, Emmett was there. I jumped out and said, "Emmett, take this family and get them out of here”. And he took them out of there. Well Ted went to get uh the elderly couple. But when I finally caught up with Ted in the backyard, I said, “where is the wife?” He said, “she went back in the house.” I said, “I’ll get her.” So, as soon as I open the front door of the house, she’s leavin’ out the back. So, I’m running through a strange house that I know nothing about. And the fire, you could see it through the window, it’s about on the house. And uh when I come out of the door, she is dragging this dog. It’s all the poor lady wanted, was her dog out of the house. But her dog can’t walk. So now by this time, you’re starting to choke and she is too. And pieces of stuff are starting to fly on you. And this dog is moving at about 2,3 inches a minute. And I didn’t have the heart to tell her, “ ma’am, when the fire touches this dog, he’s going to out-run us both, you know that” But she uh, she just couldn’t leave this dog and the dog couldn’t walk. So, I asked her “will the dog bite me?” And she said, “oh no.” So, I reach down to pick this dog up. Well this is one of those dogs, that when you pick it up, you better bring your lunch. I pick this dog up and went “holy!” And now, all of a sudden, the dog is like” God I never felt a dog this heavy. It didn’t look this big.” So, we’re trying to get to her car because neither one of us can breathe anymore and I’m worried she’s gonna pass out. So, I get to the car, and I’ve got the dog. And I put it in and stuffs fallin’ on the barn. And I slam the door and I look over, and this little lady is standing by her door. And I’m looking at her and go “oh my, okay”. And I get up and run around and get her door. An and as she’s getting in the car, this woman that was so sweet, as she’s getting in the car, she gets down and she pops back up from the door and goes “we just watched you on TV tonight.” By this point, I can see nothing but fire. And and this lady was so sweet. She gets in the car, I close it I go around, get in my side, and ask her if there’s another way out of the farm. And she says there isn’t. So we turn around and face this fire, which was over the telephone poles at this point. And we just drove right into it. And when you got on the roads, you couldn’t see anything. So, you kept your tire on the shoulder to know where you’re at. And I told her to keep her hands against the dashboard in case a fire truck came through, ‘cause we couldn’t see anything. And pretty soon, there was a little drift of smoke that opened up. And you could see the road. So I punched it and got her out of there. And felt felt awesome. Jumped out and was happy and noticed there was no Ted. There was old, there was no older man, who was with her. I say where is he, and he said he never came out of the fire. So, it’s weird how your body takes over. It just started runnin’ back toward the house. Well, then between me and the house was a five-strand bobbed wire fence, that I was hell bent that I was going to hurdle. And uh go from there. Well my front leg got over it and my back leg got over it. And I was still runnin.’ And I’m going (giggling) “I made it.’ You know, and then this burning sensation started happenin’ back here. And I looked, and now, some of my pants are now left of the barbed wire fence out there. Well, you’re so scared at that time. I found Ted, and the old man came out. What happened then was, the fire jumped the road. And we were now caught. We were over here, and now the fire was on both sides coming in. And I was hell bent on getting those horses out of the barn, when I realized, “we’re screwed.” And out of those dudes, we got two older guys here, that we’re just going to have to carry, or something is gonna happen. And then, out of nowhere, this fire truck shot through the front yard. This guy is trying to do the gear and drive the truck at the same time. I said, “you need any help?” Knowing he’ll say don’t touch the gear. He thew me that hose and he said, “pull that trigger and hang on”. And I thought, wow, ya know. So I grabbed this thing and and just started. And it was a time when you knew you were gonna win. And all of a sudden, it became fun. And when it was over, I told that old boy, “man, whatever they’re paying you guys is not enough.” He said, “who said anything about pay?” And you looked on his truck and the thing said volunteer. And the truth is, these guys do this every day. And they save lives every day. And out of a hundred to three hundred acres of grassland, not one house was lost. And these guys were amazing. And of course, they don’t get reported on. And it makes me look like I came in on a vine, you know, and saved everybody and flew out of there. But now you know the real story. And probably, uh the way I’ll look back on it more was just sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. And to look up and see that lady waiting at her door, to be opened in all that, made me realize what really was important. And uh, I loved her even more for that. And uh, just just good people. And and we did what everyone else in that community would have done if they were there, when we were there.
    The whole transcript can be found on this thread:

http://planetgarth.com/forums/showth...nce+transcript

~Ann~

I'm praying that these new fires don't get anywhere near Garth's home, especially that beautiful new house he and Trisha are building. I really feel for all the people who lost their homes and loved one in these TX / OK fires. I can imagine what it feels like to be near them, I have been close to a couple of CA brush fires. They are very scary, you can feel the heat from quite a distance away. Then, the flames are huge and move so quickly that all you want to do is get as far away as possible. I am always in awe of the people who fight grass and brush fires, they put their lives on the line for others and other's property.
    Bee

You can drive to the mountains and ocean all in one day... Leicester, Mass
    The whole transcript can be found on this thread:

http://planetgarth.com/forums/showth...nce+transcript

~Ann~[/QUOTE]

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has an audio link to the press conference. I checked the multimedia section of pg but it didnt work for me.
    Thanks for your help

alissa
    But I, I would, wish it, all away
    If I, thought I'd, lose you, just one day
    Alissa

Right now the fires are closer to Texas, I believe.
    I do this so...the world will know, that it will not change me.

Today, a lot of people in California are wishing that we could send our rain over to Texas. People in Northern California have had enough, and people in Southern California are praying that it doesn't rain on the Rose Parade on Monday.
    Bee

I can remember some really bad fires near Albany/Baird/Clyde back in the late 80's that burned 200,000 to 300,000 thousand acres. I lived in Baird at the time, and I must say that it was rather scary. The whole thing was started with some many burning tires..

For those who didn't see her post in the back porch, someone (Annette I think?) said that there are fires in and around Collinsville.

+ Reply to Thread