(edited to just Garth parts)

Who's the guy in the hat?
    It's Garth Brooks, kids, singing 'Good Ride Cowboy'

John P. McLaughlin
    The Province

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Country Music Awards

When and where: Tonight at 8 on CBS, A-CHV

I suppose there are a few younger country fans around who won't recognize the burly fella in the big hat when he strides out tonight at the Country Music Association awards show. That, kids, is Garth Brooks and long, long ago he could sell CDs like M&Ms. Now the country charts are dominated by an Australian guy. There you go.

Brooks is coming out of retirement tonight to sing "Good Ride Cowboy," a tribute to real-life rodeo dude and singer/songwriter Chris LeDoux who died last March. LeDoux was also the one who, along with James Taylor and Kiss, inspired Brooks to his life in the footlights.

(I thought the M&Ms reference was appropriate for Garth ).

you know I've been hearing that Garth can't sell like he once did....I think it's crap.

NO ONE will ever sell like Garth did, and I think this Walmart deal is going to work out for him...after all, when has Garth ever done something and had the support like he does in this and not have it turn to gold in his hands?? (Chris Gains does not count because Capitol didn't support him like they should have.)

I think Garth could outsell Kieth by millions if he decides to come back full time to us. His fans are still here, still waiting, we're just accepting good music when we hear it, because after all, we're all fans of good music. So yeah, Kieth has been selling like crazy, but the question of how he'd do if Garth came back full time to country music has yet to be answered and I think we'll only get a hint of what he can still do with this new box set.

Olivia

Who's the guy in the hat?

You know... the CG project did fine...it didn't go diamond ..or do GARTH numbers, but it didn't embarrass itself. the only thing embarrassing about the CG stuff..is... the way people won't let it just be the music that it is.

Same goes for Keith Urban. He's doing amazingly well. And if Garth came back? Keith would keep on doing amazing. They have a lot in common, but there are a lot of differences to their music. They satisfy different needs/moods. For me at least. I think that rather than competing for fans, they'd share them.

I mean they wouldn't be doing shows on the same nights in the same town. It's not like we'd have to CHOOSE.

And as for CD's.... I spend a lot of money on CD'S. Keith has gotten a pretty penny from me (not as much as GARTH mind you...) But other artists and Genres do too. I'll still be into Jazz and the Blues if Garth comes back. I'll just have to stop feeding one of the kids to keep up my "habit"

Mel

I like Keith..... I really do. I think he deserves to sell well and be at the top at this time in history. For me... deep down he misses that spot that Garth touched... but that's just me. For some others I'm sure he hits it. He's good though and I would buy his music. Not everyone can be Garth for me..... not even Garth sometimes... and they dont have to be. Some music is just fun, good, enjoyable. It doesn't always have be that deep down soul shaking thing that Garth can do so well to still be good.
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

Keith..is..well...trendy.....(you know the same as kenny and rascal flatts)

Ewwwww please don't put Keith in the same category as Rascal FLatts........ Keith can sing without Pro Tools and sound good. I've heard him sing with just his guitar.

Pammy
    Pammy

Watch a flock of birds against the morning sun
    Close your eyes and listen to the river run
    Catch a firefly in your hand or a raindrop on your tongue. That's right ....

There is a God There is a God There is a God
    How much proof do you need?

There Is A God- Trent Willmon

I do NOT like Keith Urban....he is not very country

.......... country is what country fans listen to. I can handle criticisms of artists work... but it REALLY bugs me when we start deciding who is "country" and who isn't.

But then again, he'd be in great company.... because in the past just some of the artists considered "not country enough" would be Willie, Dolly, Merle, Waylon.... just to name a few....... oh yeah...... and Garth. Time changes our perceptions eh?
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

Amen Snow!!

Marta

I wasn't saying anything bad about Keith, I love his music, it feeds a different part of my soul, but I was saying that I don't think he or anyone that is considered a top selling country artist could match Garths numbers if Garth decided to come back to us full time. No one has yet...and I certainly wasn't saying abything bad about the CG project, I'm stillwaiting for the movie, and the music is amazing.

I don't thing country music fans have to choose to be just country or who they will and won't listen too if Garth comes back, most of the PGer's I know listen to a variety of music, I myself do. I think that Garth's fans have always listened to good music, no matter what genera or who the artist is.

I'm not trying to say this person is better than this person or anything like that, I'm saying that I dont' think anyone could match Garths numbers if he came back. I'm not saying that no one will sell or have good numbers, I'm not saying that we cshould choose who to listen to if Garth comes back, I'm saying that I believe that Garth could still set records in sales, faster or by selling more than other artists.

Olivia

recent artists that have been considered non- country....Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Leann Rimes, LeeAnn Womack...just to name a few...

Olivia

I love this quote too. "That, kids, is Garth Brooks and long, long ago he could sell CDs like M&Ms."

The rest is silly.

Lori

+ Reply to Thread