+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seger CD coming soon

Seger CD coming soon

Seger CD coming soon
    BY BRIAN McCOLLUM
    FREE PRESS POP MUSIC WRITER

September 21, 2005

It's finally almost here.

The long-awaited, much-delayed new album from Detroit rocker Bob Seger will hit stores by Christmas, according to sources in his camp. The as-yet-untitled disc will mark the first new record in more than a decade for Seger.

The album will be released through Capitol Records, with a precise date dependent on delivery of final cover art and liner notes, sources said. The record's dozen tracks are mixed, mastered and ready to roll. At press time, a Capitol Records spokesman said the label could not confirm a release date.

After several years of hearing unofficial rumors and official waffling, fans will get a holiday-season gift from Seger, who had largely slipped out of public view after finishing a 1996 tour.

The Detroit native, who turned 60 in May, made his first notable reemergence in late 2003, releasing a second greatest-hits collection (with two new cuts) just as word came of his acceptance into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Unlike 1995's widely panned "It's a Mystery" album, the upcoming disc finds Seger recording again with a full group, including members of his longtime Silver Bullet Band.

Much of the material on the new album was written and recorded during the past two years at Seger's rural studio near Clarkston.

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/m...e_20050921.htm

fellow Detroit rocker Kid Rock joins Bob on new album

Kid Rock living rock 'n' roll dream
    By Mark Brown
    Scripps Howard News Service
    April 21, 2006

For a number of years Kid Rock has had access to his rock 'n' roll heroes, but 2006 has been a little heady, even by his standards.

There was singing at the Super Bowl with fellow Detroit star Bob Seger, then recording a song for Seger's long-awaited new studio album. That was followed by inducting Lynyrd Skynyrd into the Rock Hall of Fame and performing "Sweet Home Alabama" with them.

For a fan of '70s rock, it doesn't get much better.

"I can't disagree with that. I've been pretty reflective lately of how blessed I am, how fortunate I am to be still doing it," says Kid Rock (born Robert Richie).

The performer's doing what he calls "Nashville touring" these days - staying at home in Detroit and going out for three-day weekend jaunts.

Rock is on a roll with a new album, "Live Trucker," and all the exposure that the Rock Hall (and a leaked sex videotape) has given him.

"With Skynyrd, it's kind of bittersweet because I'm such a fan of Skynyrd, but to me it's (the late) Ronnie Van Zandt - I don't know if there would have been a Skynyrd without him," Rock says.

With Seger, however, it's nothing but joy. The Detroit natives have long been friends, but had never collaborated before. Seger's new album, 10 years in the making, is tentatively due later this year.

"He has been one of my dreams to work with. We're so close, it's kind of weird. We have the same management. Our kids are the same age. . . . We have houses next to each other," Rock says. "But I never tried to cross that line" to work with Seger.

One day, however, Seger called and said: "I was wondering if you'd come to Nashville and cut this song with me, blah, blah, blah," Rock says. "I'm like, `Seger, dude, I'd fly to Nashville and sing `Happy Birthday' if you wanted me to.' "

For the moment, however, Rock has his own work to do. He's proud of "Live Trucker," a concert album recorded the old-fashioned way with a mobile recording studio and tape.

He tried to keep it pure.

"Anyone's going to turn up the crowds and manipulate things in the studio when you're mixing a live record," he says. "But when you hear stuff like `Picture,' where the whole crowd is singing along, you can't duplicate that."

Country singer Gretchen Wilson duets with Rock on that crossover country song, taking the place of Sheryl Crow, who was on the hit studio version. While breaking into music as a rapper, Rock's background is heavily rock and country, allowing him to easily move between and combine the genres.

"It's just a love for the music. A lot of us musicians, no matter who we are, experiment with different things. Whether they get released or not, we don't know. Van Morrison has this country album now," Rock says. "I've really done my homework and been a fan of this music for so long."

His next album will be a solid rock disc, working with another idol - Peter Wolf of the J. Geils Band, with Rick Rubin producing.

Rock says, if anything, he's too limited in his genre-crossing. He had to cut out pieces of other artists' music that he uses in concert because they won't let him license it.

"I can take a song like `Devil Without a Cause,' and in the middle, I can drop four bars of `Back in Black,' he says. "I'm really good at my shows of dropping in little things here and there. A lot of that (stuff) we just can't get cleared."

While he's committed to the rock record, he wonders whether he's making a mistake. "Hip-hop controls the world right now. Why am I doing a rock record? I could have every frickin' white kid in the world freaking out."

He'll resist, however, because hip-hop is in a bad place right now.

"I don't like the attitude and feel around it right now. There are a couple of good things, but other than that, I think it's corny. I think it's wide open for a rock Õn' roll record."

While his appearance on an amateur sex tape has grabbed the headlines, Kid Rock has a more mainstream appearance coming up. He plays an obnoxious murdering rock star on an episode of "CSI" for May sweeps.

"I'm playing myself but it's kind of fictitious because they've got me doing things I wouldn't do. Like killing people. And just the way I'm treating people. . . . It was fun."

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/fe_music...637674,00.html

Pioneer grad Bob Seger to add salute

Grammy-winning rocker to appear at concert
    Saturday, May 27, 2006
    BY TINA REED
    News Staff Reporter
    Pioneer High School's music program won't be the only Grammy winner at a special celebration concert Tuesday evening to honor students.

Legendary rocker and Pioneer High graduate Bob Seger has accepted an invitation to appear at the concert, but he is not expected to perform.

"We here at Pioneer are honored beyond belief,'' said David Leach, director of band programs at the school, which was named National Grammy Signature School. "As someone who was a kid who grew up in Ann Arbor in the '60s and '70s, he is a legend.''

Seger will take the stage at Hill Auditorium to congratuate students, said David Sears, senior director of education programs at the Grammy Foundation.

"We ask our guests to say a few words of encouragement and to congratulate them on their accomplishment,'' Sears said.

Other Grammy winners, such as Yolanda Adams, have appeared at these high school presentations in the past, Sears said.

Seger, who turned 61 earlier this month, grew up in Ann Arbor. He attended Tappan Junior High (now middle school) and graduated in 1963 from Pioneer High School.

Seger and The Silver Bullet Band won a Grammy in 1981 for best rock vocal performance by a band for "Against The WInd.'' Seger is also known for such hit songs as "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man'' and "Night Moves,''

In March, Pioneer High was named the 2006 National Grammy Signature School, an award given to the best public high school music program in the nation. The school has been named a Grammy Gold school in the past, but this is the first time it won the top award.

The school beat out at least 400 schools nationwide vying for the award, which carries a $20,000 prize to the winning music program.

"One of the reasons we won this is because this program is blessed with such dedicated students who aspire to be great,'' Leach said.

Ann Arbor's Huron High School was chosen in the top seven of the competition.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/aanews/ind...910.xml&coll=2

How cool is that?! I love Bob Seger's music - have since the '70's and have seen him in concert. Nice article - thanks for posting!!!

Bob Seger recalls those days of old

Pioneer High grad remembers when music program didn't teach guitar
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006
    BY TINA REED
    News Staff Reporter
    Back in the days when Bob Seger attended Ann Arbor's Pioneer High School, the music program didn't include guitar. He taught himself to play.

Things have changed a lot since then.

Seger, who graduated in 1963, went on, of course, to earn a place in rock 'n' roll history. Aspiring rock musicians at Pioneer can now learn to play the guitar as part of what was recognized this year as the best high school music program in the nation.

"It's phenomenal,'' Seger said Tuesday night at a program celebrating Pioneer's selection as the 2006 Grammy Signature School. "I was talking to the guitar teacher and she said they had 250 students. We didn't have guitar lessons back then. I taught myself to play.''

Seger, himself a one-time Grammy winner, was a special guest at the program at the University of Michigan's Hill Auditorium.

He presented a $20,000 check from the Grammy Foundation to the school.

Listening to Pioneer's jazz band perform as part of the celebration, the 61-year-old Seger talked about growing up in Ann Arbor, where he attended Tappan Junior High (now middle school) and Pioneer.

"I was pretty shy until I got into music,'' Seger said. "It was kind of like an athlete finally finds his thing in sports.''

With help from his father and a hand-me-down guitar from a friend, Seger said, he and a friend got their start playing at their junior prom, before playing at local fraternity parties.

"Y'know, the kind where there's the keg and some guy jumps on stage and steals the microphone. We were lucky to get out of there alive.''

Seger and The Silver Bullet Band won a Grammy in 1981 for best rock vocal performance by a band for "Against The Wind.''

Seger now lives in Bloomfield Hills and plans to teach his two children, who are 11 and 13, how to play the guitar.

Pioneer High School's program is exemplary because it teaches students nontraditional band instruments such as the guitar, he said.

"It doesn't surprise me Pioneer has a good program,'' Seger said. "Ann Arbor has always been a culturally rich city. We had these great blues bands downtown. It was a great place to listen to music.''
    http://www.mlive.com/news/aanews/ind...810.xml&coll=2

Bob Seger is fantastic and, is it me, or does anyone else feel he's a little underrated?

The wait for Bob Seger CD is over.

Just keep those old records on the shelf: Bob Seger is ready to release a new one. Face the Promise, due Sept. 12, will be the first studio album in 11 years from the singer/songwriter known for such classic rock hits as Night Moves, Against the Wind, Turn the Page and Rock and Roll Never Forgets.

The new CD's first single is Wait for Me, a mid-tempo rocker with the yearning spirit that has marked many of Seger's singles. "It's a pretty high-energy rock record," Seger says. "I would say it's more rock 'n' roll than usual. I wrote a lot of songs, a lot of songs. I probably recorded about 30, but the best songs happened to be more rock-leaning."

— Elysa Gardner

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2006-06...s_x.htm?csp=34

spread the official press release below!!

June 9th, 2006
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    VOICE OF AMERICA:
    A ROCK AND ROLL LEGEND’S LONG-AWAITED RETURN

FACE THE PROMISE,
    BOB SEGER’S FIRST STUDIO ALBUM IN 11 YEARS,
    SCHEDULED FOR SEPTEMBER 12th RELEASE

On September 12th, Capitol Records will release Face The Promise, Bob Seger's first studio album in 11 years. Face The Promise opens a masterful new chapter in a songbook that has captured the dreams, ideals, yearnings and truths of the American experience for a remarkable forty years. The album’s lead-off single is entitled “Wait For Me.”

Bob Seger is universally acknowledged by fans and musicians as one of the few truly defining voices of American music. His vivid portraits of working class lives convey the hope and the heartbreak implicit in the American dream. Face The Promise
    marks Seger’s return in classic form: urgent, honest, rousing, timeless -- a new and compelling testament to rock and roll’s undying redemptive power.

Seger has sold nearly 50 million albums in his career. Among his eleven platinum and seven multi-platinum awards, Against the Wind, Night Moves and Stranger in Town have each been RIAA-certified for over 5 million album sales in the U.S., as has his massively-influential 1976 breakthrough classic, Live Bullet. The 1994 Greatest Hits collection has sold over 7 million copies, in an unbroken 600-week run in the upper reaches of the Billboard Pop Catalog chart. He is a Grammy winner (“Against the Wind,” Best Rock Performance by a Group or Duo, 1980) and a 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.

Observed through the eyes of the outsider and the everyman, the reveler and the romantic, the songs of Bob Seger exemplify the classic in classic rock: “Against The Wind,“ “Turn The Page,” “Rock And Roll Never Forgets,” “Night Moves,” “Katmandu,” “Old Time Rock and Roll” and ”Beautiful Loser,” to name just a few.

Capitol Records

Bob Seger is fantastic and, is it me, or does anyone else feel he's a little underrated?

Bob Seger releasing first studio album in 11 years

(Reuters, Saturday June 10, 9:06 PM)
    DETROIT (Billboard) - Bob Seger will release his first studio album in 11 years on September 12, a set that will likely include a duet with fellow Detroit rocker Kid Rock.
    The Capitol Records album, "Face the Promise," will be preceded by the single "Wait For Me," which is due out early next month.

Seger's last album of all-new material was 1995's "It's a Mystery." A hits package in 2003 featured two new songs.

Seger produced the new album, which was recorded in Detroit and Nashville. He is still making final decisions on songs and sequence, but the album is likely to include the title track, which he calls a "big, storming rocker," and a duet with Kid Rock on Vince Gill's Merle Haggard tribute, "Real Mean Bottle." Kid Rock inducted Seger into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.

Last year, Seger said he was spending a lot of time to find the right songs for the new album. "You've got to get a standard bearer, something you want the album to stand up to," he explained. He found those in the title track and in another song called "Red Eye to Memphis," which he described as "an almost Tony Joe White thing, a very Memphis-y, fuzzy, R&B country-rock thing." It's not known yet whether that track will make the final cut.

Seger also hasn't made a firm decision about touring but has voiced a desire to consider it -- possibly even getting a version of his Silver Bullet Band together for rehearsals before committing to dates. He last toured in 1996.
    http://au.launch.yahoo.com/060610/11/r0qh.html

Bob Seger's new album to hit stores in September

Susan Whitall / The Detroit News

The long-awaited -- and that's no hype, it's been 11 years -- new Bob Seger album "Face the Promise" will hit stores on Sept. 12.

The first single, "Wait for Me," will go to radio in early July, just after the Fourth.

Seger has been working on the album for years with longtime co-producer David Cole, splitting his time between Nashville, Tenn., and Detroit for the recording.

Although Seger is still tweaking the sequence of songs as we type, there will be a duet with Kid Rock on the Vince Gill song "Real Mean Bottle."

On that high energy tune, Seger and KR rock it up more than Gill's original, more countryish version.

With more than 50 million albums sold careerwide, Seger long ago stopped worrying about whether or not he was just a regional phenomenon, a working class hero only to Michiganians.

It was the relentless touring he did for years in the '70s that put the Ann Arbor native over as a national phenomenon with the 1976 album "Live Bullet," recorded at Cobo Hall.

But those years on the road took a toll. Since his marriage and the birth of his children in the '90s, Seger, who just turned 61 last month, decided he didn't want to leave his young family to go out on a grueling tour.

His last tour was in 1996.

In recent years, when asked, he's joked to reporters that he's too old to tour, but in the meantime, musicians Seger's age and older -- Sir Paul McCartney (age 64 in a week) and the Rolling Stones (aged 59-65) for starters -- launch a long tour every few years.

So will he tour to support "Face the Promise"?

"Practices are scheduled," his manager Punch Andrews says.
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...367/1033/rss27

Ok, nevermind.

I agree

He's way overlooked. I hope this comeback blows everybody away!

Turn the Page! Kid Rock Guests on New Bob Seger Album

None other than Bob Seger’s reps came up to the RS offices yesterday to preview three tracks from the giant of heartland rock’s upcoming disc Face the Promise – the first new studio album from Seger in eleven years. The Detroit rocker produced the album himself and cut portions of it at Ocean Way Studios in Nashville. The first track, “Wait for Me,” is a ballad much in the same vein as his 1980 classic “Against the Wind.” It’s currently slated to be the album’s first single, due to radio July 11. The second track, “Wreck This Heart,” is a country rocker in which Seger seems to explain his decision to put his career on hold for the sake of his family. “There’s time to work/Time to live,” Seger sings. “There’s only so much time around/If you lean to far over the wishing well you might fall in and drown.” The final track previewed was a cover of Vince Gill’s ode to Merle Haggard “Real Mean Bottle,” –- featuring label mate and fellow Detroit native Kid Rock. It’s easy to imagine it in heavy rotation on country radio. The full album is due in stores September 12. The sixty-four dollar question: Seger has yet to decide if he’s going to fire up the Silver Bullet Band for a supporting tour.
    -- Andy Greene
    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...b-seger-album/

cool pic too! I'm really, really getting excited!!!

'Real Mean Bottle' is a cool Vince track from still his most recent album, 'Next Big Thing, which came out like 4 years ago now. Look forward to hearing Seger's version.

Great to hear from Bob Seger again.

"Wait For Me" single snippet!

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/capi...ippet_a100.asx

Releases to radio July 6th! Request it!!

Ex-Silver Bullet guitarist coming for free concert

A former guitarist with Bob Seger's legendary Silver Bullet Band will entertain concertgoers in Rochester this Thursday as the community's "Music in the Park" series continues.

Drew Abbott, who can be heard on several of Bob Seger's studio albums, including Night Moves, Stranger in Town and Against the Wind, as well as the concert albums Live Bullet and Nine Tonight, will play rhythm and blues music beginning at 7:30 p.m. at Rochester Municipal Park.

The show, presented by the Rochester Kiwanis Club, is free and sponsored by Flagstar Bank.

Pizza from Planet Pizza and custard from Ritter's Custard will be on sale in the park along with beverages and snacks. Guests should bring their own blankets and lawn chairs.
    http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbc...WS17/607020544

I have been so excited about this new cd.
    I sure hope that it's not Bob's last.
    I have talked to one of the Silver Bullet Band members on the phone.
    Twice in the past few weeks. He told me about the new cd.
    And maybe a tour for Bob. He also said Bob is having a time on hitting certain notes in his songs. And the band helps him out with that. By playing octaves lower. Mark also told my brother that a tour was still up in the air.
    We will just have to wait. If Bob tours one more time it will be ten years in june since he had his last tour. That tour ended in june 1996.

Bob is also supposed to be on the classic rock radio station in Detroit.
    Wednesday morning. I am sure he will tell everyone whether he will tour or not for sure.

very cool!

Keep us posted Sandi !!

Bob Seger's New Single Distributed Digitally to U.S. Radio Exclusively through Promo

Orlando, FL (PRWEB) July 5, 2006 -- Promo Only MPE, the music industry’s number one choice in secure content delivery, today announced that it exclusively digitally delivered Bob Seger’s new track ‘Wait for Me’ first to U.S. radio via the Promo Only MPE System.

‘Wait for Me’ is the first single from Seger’s much anticipated album ‘Face The Promise’ on Capitol Records. Seger was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004. The Grammy winner has sold over 50 million albums to date and has over 18 platinum and multi-platinum tracks.

“We chose Promo Only MPE to exclusively distribute this eagerly awaited track to radio because we knew that it is the fastest and most reliable way of getting our music delivered,” said Ed Green, Senior Vice President of Promotion at Capitol Records. “We wanted the track to be made available to listeners as soon as possible. Promo Only MPE was the only system we could depend on to get our music out quickly and safely.”

“Promo Only MPE is thrilled to work with Capitol Records to exclusively deliver tracks for such a high profile artist as Bob Seger”, said Dean Ernst, Director of Promo Only MPE. “With the most users installed, the most tracks delivered to radio and the highest adoption rate across all formats, it was the natural choice for Capitol Records to ask Promo Only MPE to deliver his single to radio first.”

Promo Only MPE has been leading the music industry in digital distribution in the United States since its launch in October of 2004. To date, the system has well over 8,500 individual registered users, predominantly radio station programmers. In excess of 19,000 tracks have been distributed through the Promo Only MPE System for labels including Universal Music Group, Sony BMG, EMI Music Group and Warner Music Group. 2005 marked the partnership deal with Mediabase 24/7 monitoring service and the unveiling of the first ever digital distribution system with Spanish language capabilities, allowing it to serve the growing number of Spanish speaking radio stations and Latin label divisions in the United States. In 2006, Radio and Records announced that they will combine with Promo Only as the exclusive sales representative for the Promo Only MPE System.

Promo Only MPE was the first company to have released a Mac version of its digital distribution system. The Promo Only MPE System is the only product of its kind to feature true iPod support, by servicing Apple’s AAC files. The recently released version 2.0 features a number of key upgrades including music video delivery capabilities and linear HD audio support.

Promo Only MPE is a partnership between Destiny Media Technologies and Promo Only. Promo Only MPE is the preferred system of choice for every major broadcaster including Infinity, Citadel, Clear Channel, Cox, Cumulus, Salem Communications, Radio One, Emmis, Entercom, Sirius, Journal, ABC, DMX, CBS, Jones Radio, Yahoo, AOL, Music Choice, Disney, Univision, Westwood One, Regent, Premiere Radio, Next Media and many others.

About Promo Only
    With offices in Orlando, New York, Los Angeles, Calgary, Chicago and London, Promo Only (www.promoonly.com) is the world leader in subscription-based music and music video services. Promo Only offers a complete line of music on CD and music video on DVD designed to meet the needs of music professionals, business owners and retail operations. Jim Robinson and Pete Werner founded Promo Only in 1992.

About Destiny Media Technologies
    Destiny Media Technologies, Inc. (www.dsny.com) (DSNY.OB) is a leader in developing easy-to-use tools for distributing digital media through the internet. The company's suite of streaming and downloadable products includes: Clipstream(tm), Destiny Media Player (tm), Radio Destiny (tm) and MPE (tm). Established in 1991, the company is headquartered in Vancouver, Canada.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/200607.../prweb406190_2

Seger Is Hot Shot Debut/Seger Lands Heritage Debut

(these are Billboard Radio Monitor headlines)

Bob Seger makes his first chart appearance as a lead artist since 1996 as "Wait For Me" lands a No. 19 debut on the Heritage Rock chart and earns Greatest Gainer, Most Airplay Adds and Airpower honors. Most of Seger's chart history came prior to the June 1997 inception of the Heritage chart but he logged one visit to the list, peaking at No. 13, this February on 3 Doors Down's "Landing In London (All I Think About Is You)."

Capitol's Nashville shop is working a track from Bob Seger's forthcoming "Face the Promise" album, and "Wait For Me" takes Hot Shot Debut applause at No. 54. Meanwhile, Little Big Town's "Bring It On Home" becomes the group's second top 10 single (11-10). The group's "Boondocks" peaked at No. 9 in December.

+ Reply to Thread