+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Change slideshow

The Change slideshow

Hey... I made a video slideshow out of pictures from the events of Hurricane Katrina using the "The Change" as the song for the theme. I'm using it as a writing prompt for class since we've been studying the event in class. This is a high school advanced placement environmental science class. So we've looked at the problems that existed before, now, and possibly later with regard to the tragedy.

I tried to upload it to my website and I have the link posted below. Let me know if it works... and what you think of it. I hope the file isn't too huge. You'll need Windows Media Player to view it.

http://www.explorebiology.org/KatrinaTheChange_0001.wmv

Oh... and do me a favor... I have limited bandwidth on my site... so if you watch it once and want to see it again save it to your computer. One view per person!

OH... and warning.... you'll need the puffs.

Other than sniffles there was dead silence in my room for many minutes after.... and then they asked to see it again.
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

Well done, Deb! <sniff> Thanks for the puffs warning.

I saved it to my computer.

~Ann~

Very nicely done Deb, thanks for sharing this with us. *sniff*sniff*
    -Susan-

Very Cool. Very nicely done. That would be cool if it were sent out in some emails and like had links to the Red Cross where you could donate and a link to this video. Thanks for sharing.

Not only links to the Red Cross... but getting it to someone in the Red Cross? It's just wonderful. It captures everything that happened. Truly awesome, Deb.

-sandi

yes

I'll be sure to pass it on.

Very cool Deb! Thanks for sharing!

Deb

With your permission I would like to send it to my brother who is in Baton Rouge with the California nurses. He has been writing to me almost every day with stories of hope and of loss. I'm sure this would move him and his colleagues. Please let me know.

Jude

I think the video was really great until the Bush Sucks sign. If this is suppose to inspire Unity that doesn't do it unless a Nagin and Blanco Sucks sign follows. I would love to pass on but that one slide puts a damper on the meaning. (just my personal opinion)

Anyone that wishes to use it or share it has my approval. It was made for educational purposes and as long as that is the focus I'm fine with it.

Carriek.... well no one had any of those signs (re. Nagin, etc.) out that there were pictures of anyway... and if you listen to the song that is the section where it talks about there being anger and such... but that we need to get past it and do what we can. Again this slideshow went along with a lesson over the course of several days that actually started a couple of days before the hurricane hit when we looked at the longterm engineering problems of the leeves as well as the loss of wetlands... which are a long term problem that wasn't addressed. At that point we'd already discussed the fact that the city and state also didn't have adequate planning for such a disaster. Then we watched as the predictions unfolded to reality. Later we discussed the current environmental problems... like the coliform bacterial contamination and oil leaks and the longterm problems the area will face. We also talked about the frustrations encountered by people regarding FEMA. It's not the first time they've been slow to respond. They took 10 days to respond here in SC when we were hit with Hurricane Hugo and we didn't even have the access problems of New Orleans.

Again this was an Advanced Placement Environmental Science class....... which means that while it's a high school course it's taught at the college level. The students are already familiar with the different sides of the political arguments. But that slide was included as it was an important point in the way things unfolded. It happened and people felt that way so we weren't going to ignore it.

But again the focus was that despite the blaming, looting, need for troops, etc. there were people there doing what needed to be done to help people too. There are so many more heros in the Katrina story than we'll ever know.

I am so with you on FEMA. I am just frustrated at how political it all got when people needed help. Again, great video that just irritated me.

I saw the video last night after I left PG and didn't come back to this thread. That was an awesome depiction of the events, and The Change played so well with the slides you used. Great job!

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Excellent job! The message of "The Change" is always good to use during a tragedy. Also, Pray for Houston. I've got a lot of friends & family there; hopefully they have already evacuated.

Wow, that was sure something. Truly wonderful job with the slides playing to the song. I'll admit, I've watched very little coverage of the disaster, so it got me a little choked up seeing some of those images. Thanks for sharing.
    Xavier

Wow, great job there, snow! Really tugs at ya, ya know?

I just came back to Oklahoma yesterday from being on the Mississippi coast. It's such devastation you cannot imagine. And now, how the people are dealing with just the BASIC needs in life... sleeping in tents, trying to cook dinner for 32 family members on a camp stove, trying to FIND something to cook... well, it's just more than I can put into words.

But honestly, the thing that strikes you hardest is seeing all of the people who have come to help. You just wanna cry and thank them perfusely. No one will ever know how much it means to us, truely.

I have 5 brothers and sisters there, and my mom and dad. They all lost everything. All of their homes, businesses, everything, wiped off the face of the earth. And my family are some of the fortunate ones, cause they all have masters degrees to fall back on. But for right now, it's all about getting through another day and clearing out a little more debris. It's about shoveling molded memories of your entire life in 95 degrees with no power and no cold drinks while you try to wipe the sweat from your brow without catching cholera or something. It's about humidity that doesn't seem possible because of that heat and the standing water, mosquitos and LOVE BUGS for petes sake, can't even see through your windshield for all of them. But water is precious right now, so wind shields are only a nuisance. It's about waiting in lines for hours to buy gas or water or even to get home, cause there are so few roads and stores open. I was only there for a week, but we're going back just as soon as we pack up here. They are dealing with it day in and day out. Unreal. And yes, where IS fema? It's been 29 days, and they are still in tents. But thank god for all of the volunteers.

Oh, and the National Guard, OMG. They were wonderful. They are stationed all along the coast, guarding our possessions, or what's left of them, with M-16s and razor wire, and yet, they still take the time to wave at you and smile. Amazing spirits. My own son is under heavy fire right now in Iraq, and they just made me so much more proud of him, you wouldn't believe.

Yes, this DID change me. For the better, I hope. You cannot be there and not be changed. Suddenly, only the really important things matter. We are all alive and we have each other. Everything else is details.

Anyway, thanks... I'm gonna pass this on if you don't mind.

You're welcome Shyanne and you may certainly pass it on.

May I ask where your family lives on the Mississippi coast? I spent part of my childhood in Biloxi and Ocean Springs. We were stationed at Kessler AFB the most of all our assignments so I feel as if it were home as much as anyplace we lived. I liked Biloxi best. I'll be praying for your family. I went through Camille and Hugo both so I know how it is... and tell your son thankyou for his service. I wish more than anything he and the rest didn't have to be there but I'm always proud of those that do their duty.

BTW ya'll...... perhaps the marketing people will see a small blip in sales of Fresh Horses from our area. I couldn't tell you how many students have come up to me since the slideshow and said "I told my mom about the song and she said she'd get me the CD if you'll tell me which one it is on!"

that was amazing Deb! Thanks for sharing

God and peace,
    Vanessa

My family are in Biloxi, Gulfport, Long Beach, and Waveland. And yes, my parents met at Keesler, so I'm kinda with ya on that one. They liked it and decided to make it their home. I grew up there, but I've been traveling the last three years as an ICU nurse. Now I guess its time to go home and help them dig out and rebuild.

Ahhhhh....... a sister AF Brat!!! Welcome to the PG family sis!

Ya know... I was using Google Earth and was able to see the latest satellite photos of Biloxi. I was amazed that I was actually able to find my old home from when we lived there on base housing 101 Monroe Circle... and I even found my old elementary school.... Beauvoir Elementary and I was happy to see that both seemed to survive pretty well... at least what I can see from the air. Seems like maybe some flooding but they weren't wiped off the map like almost everything south of Pass Road.

Best wishes to your family.

OMG, someone who knows about Beauvoir? LOL, yep, seems we do have some things in common. And a science teacher? Awesome. 4 of my brothers and sisters teach, but they are out of work right now since 15 of the 33 schools were blown off the face of the earth. That's why I said they were fortunate to have master's degrees to fall back on. Most of the people down there don't have that.

One of my brothers teaches chemistry and physics and the other teaches marine biology. Was the director of education at J.L. Scott Marine Biology Laboratories. But that's all gone now, too. They said this is a once in a life time "do over". Kinda getting forced to follow their dreams. He's gonna go into aquaculture since all of the seafood industry will be crippled for years. I think he's gonna raise crawfish and shrimp in climate controlled warehouses. The other brother is gonna go back to school to be a dentist, after teaching science all these years.

One of my sisters teaches deaf children to speak, and the other teaches the alternative kids, you know, the hard to handle "bad" kids. I think they are both gonna stick it out as teachers. I gotta give em all kudos, cause I wouldn't last a day with someone else's kids. LOL, have enough with just my own. And that's a good thing, too, cause 80% of the teachers in Pass Christian lost their homes and are in other states just surviving. They need all they can get to stay and try to return some state of normalacy to the kids who have survived this.

My eldest brother still has his job since he does the cooling units on chemical plants all over the country, he doesn't have to be "home" to work.

Not sure what my mom and dad will do, but they will survive. We actually moved to Mississippi in May of 69, just a few months before Camille. And they toughed it out that time. They will do it again.

Right now, it's just about surviving. In the words of Scarlett O'hara, "But tomorrow is another day, I'll think about that tomorrow"

Hey... we moved back there (for the second time) about the same time as you.

I remember we ended up living in these trailers they pulled in while they fixed the base housing. There was a big iron anchor near the little trailer park they'd set up and we used to play on it. I motel next to it was totally blown apart and I went with some kids exploring there and took some clothes hangers. I picked up letters from some movie theater marquee that I found floating in the surf and had them for years. And I'll never forget the zillions of dead fish on the beach and they were there for a long time even after they were just bones. I remember asking to go wading in the ocean and being told we couldn't because there were still bodies and pollution in the water.

The biggest thing I remember about Beauvoir was that they had mobiles for the longest time.... and no air conditioning... just big windows open all the time. And my most vivid memory was this first grade teacher I had. She had red hair and even being as young as I was I picked up on the vibe that she really hated military brats. She was always calling my parents in with some thing or another... and finally told them that they shouldn't push me because it was just that I was "too dumb" (yep... she used that word) to do the work not that I wasn't trying. Shows what she knew. Turned out I was gifted and she was the one "too dumb" to teach me. One thing I have to thank her for was that she made me want to teach to make up for all the bad she probably did to kids over time. I didn't start out to teach... I got my degree in biology and worked in my field for a while... but it just kept calling me and I finally gave in. *lol* So I took the pay cut and dove in... and I'm still swimming.

Ah well...... enough of a trip down memory lane.... it's so good to meet you!

I remember the trailers also. But we didn't have to have one. We had just bought an old house on 2nd street in Long Beach and it survived Camille pretty well. We lost 39 trees in our yard, but the house stood. My husband and I got married under one of those old oaks. I went by the old place while we were there, and sure enough, it road out this storm just as well. And our "wedding tree" was still there. For that matter, I didn't see any trees down in that yard. Weird, huh? It is on the north side of 2nd street. All of the houses on the south side clear up to the beach are either gone or condemned now. Still, I wouldn't ride out a storm anywhere south of I-10 ever again, and even at that, I don't think I'd ride one out anywhere. And this from a storm chaser in Tulsa, huh? Yes, I love the power of a good storm, but I also respect it.

Yep... when Hugo hit here we rode it out at my MIL's home. Got up in the morning and saw trees down, roofs smashed in or ripped off... all kinds of stuff. I just knew our house was maybe gone... not to mention my car which we'd had to leave down the road when we got trapped on the road by falling trees *EEK*.

But my car was fine....... and there wasn't even a leaf in our yard. My MIL said God knew that we didn't own a rake. *lol*

wow

All I can say is WOW. Garth himself would be proud, thank you

+ Reply to Thread