Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does Garth/any performer owe the fans?

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzwuzz
    Is it wrong to worship God for sending Garth?? I don't get why you have to keep adding that little snippet about Garth not being a gift to be worshipped. I know Who I worship same as you.
    No Dale, it's not wrong to worshp God and thank Him for sending garth. The reason I add taht snippet about garth being worshipped, is plain.. there are some fans out there (I'm not saying you or anyone else in particular, but there are soem fans out there- on PG (certainly on AG), on other boards, you name it- who do worshp garth and have him on a godlike pedestal, where he simply does not belong

And I admit, it does still smart when I think of what Garth said, that music is too good of a lover to only see her on weekends. So, what does he do? He walks away instead! As if that is the honorable thing for the music, as well as his girls.
    yep!

Well, we know it is for the girls, but it still bugs me that Garth thinks of his past career as an "it" now when I'm still here alive and well. At the same time, the relationship Garth has with his fans lives on beyond the stage. But sometimes it seems we got lost somewhere in the cracks. When Garth separates himself from the music it feels like "divorce" to this music lover. Yet, he can't live without us, according to the Chris Gaines notes to "Lost in You."
    and it belies and goes against him saying he'd be here as long as WE wanted him.....

So. I admit it. I do get upset especially at Garth for not visiting us online. Acknowledging us in that way as Garth family would mean the world. But I suppose it's because he has to protect the privacy of his realtime family that he won't do that. My thing is I don't just want to be talking about the man all the time. I want to be with him and his people as a team. His joining the Wal-Mart team has helped, and so has the new visitors we've had here at PG lately. And old friends returning. I see these as good signs that I can let go of my personal feelings and expect the unexpected at this point.
    I hope the unexpected happens!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Which one?
    ???? huh?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by SweetGBFan
    I DO feel Garth owes his fans. Heck where would he be had we the fans not gone to his concerts and bought his music. We made him the star he is today. He owes it all to the fans. No fans no music sales and no money. He turned his back on us and just walked away. He could take a lesson from Strait. George manages to balance career and family just fine. Garth could if he wanted to. I feel Garth just lost it after his mom died and the fiasco with the Chris Gaines thing. I think the drive was gone and he just didnt care. Should he be with his girls? Absolutely. They are only little for a while. But should have just packed it all in. NO WAY!! I am one truly disappointed fan, but still a fan none the less.
    An awesome post!! thank ou for sharing it (for having the chutzpah to share it!) there are other examples besides Strait who have shown you can do both parent and career 100%, be happy, and be satisfied...

dare I say, even Faith Hill! and Martina... (garth could learn from the women!)

but a great post

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Re:Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise
    ???? huh?
    The Lamb. Is He coming, or, isn't He?

The Lamb. Is He coming, or, isn't He?

The Lamb, as in the Lamb of God, is coming- absolutely!!! praise be to God..

The Lamb, as in the movie that Garth is "dreaming" up, as it were (and the impetus for CG..) is not coming- anytime soon- that it appears- I'd love to be wrong- but i don't think I am...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Garth is scared as I see it. He was top dog for so long and now there are so many top dogs, Toby,Tim, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith maybe he just doesnt want to come back if he cant be the top dog. Although if he came back he would gain top dog status as soon as he started touring. I feel Garth has lost alot of fans. First with the CG thing that alot of people didnt understand, then with the retirement that ticked alot of fans off and saddened more. Scarecrow in Garth standards did terrible. 3 million is very good but not for Garth. I think alot of that was Capitol knowing that they werent going to promote him anytime soon and then with no tour to support the album. I just think sure Garth is happy doing what hes doing but I think he would love to come back hes just too scared to do it right now. Hopefully, Walmart in the picture has to mean he has something up his sleeve. He cant remain a recluse forever.

Garth is scared as I see it. He was top dog for so long and now there are so many top dogs, Toby,Tim, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith maybe he just doesnt want to come back if he cant be the top dog.
    an interesting theory! (thought I don't know if I'd label Gretchen wilson a "top dog' yet...

Although if he came back he would gain top dog status as soon as he started touring. I feel Garth has lost alot of fans. First with the CG thing that alot of people didnt understand, then with the retirement that ticked alot of fans off and saddened more. Scarecrow in Garth standards did terrible. 3 million is very good but not for Garth.
    another great point- but what can he expect if his only promotion and support for an album is 3 "concert specials" combined with a few shows (leno, today show, etc..)

I think alot of that was Capitol knowing that they werent going to promote him anytime soon and then with no tour to support the album. I just think sure Garth is happy doing what hes doing but I think he would love to come back hes just too scared to do it right now. Hopefully, Walmart in the picture has to mean he has something up his sleeve. He cant remain a recluse forever.
    no, he can't- and with him going away from capitol, the next obvious step is making his own label (which he could afford)... then signing himself, and getting TY away from MCA.. he could easily make music and release his own songs under his own label... would htere be any backlash from Capitol at all thoguh... who knows?...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

The Lamb, as in the Lamb of God, is coming- absolutely!!! praise be to God..

The Lamb, as in the movie that Garth is "dreaming" up, as it were (and the impetus for CG..) is not coming- anytime soon- that it appears- I'd love to be wrong- but i don't think I am...
    And just where do you think this dream of Garth's comes from? Did he just make it up? What about making vision reality like he did with "The Red Strokes" video? Did he make up the love that's behind it? Is the same God that drives you and me the same one who drives Garth? Is God truly at work here or isn't He?

And just where do you think this dream of Garth's comes from? Did he just make it up?
    what "dream" specifically dale? CG? the character? the Lamb? (the movie)? I know that "the lamb" character in the movie is a Christ figure- absolutely-

What about making vision reality like he did with "The Red Strokes" video? Did he make up the love that's behind it?
    what vision? what "love"..? the same love that walked away from the fans while proclaiming we were his, etc? the love of Christ? the love for hte movie w/ CG to come out? (and it's been 5+ years- with NOTHING happening- I would love to be worng- but I dont' think it's coming out....)

Is the same God that drives you and me the same one who drives Garth? Is God truly at work here or isn't He?
    truly at work where, on earth? at PG? with Garth? this thread? the Lamb movie? CG? where specifically?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

And just where do you think this dream of Garth's comes from? Did he just make it up?
    If you're referring to Chris Gaines - yes, he just made it up. And I think there is a reason why this movie has never come to fruition. Frankly, the whole comparison of a fictional singer to the true Lamb of God has always made me very uncomfortable.

Just my humble opinion, of course. And no offense to anyone is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by beckysue59
    If you're referring to Chris Gaines - yes, he just made it up. And I think there is a reason why this movie has never come to fruition. Frankly, the whole comparison of a fictional singer to the true Lamb of God has always made me very uncomfortable.

none taken here- I've always been a bit unsettled by it myself...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

listen

Garth is scared as I see it. He was top dog for so long and now there are so many top dogs, Toby,Tim, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith maybe he just doesnt want to come back if he cant be the top dog. Although if he came back he would gain top dog status as soon as he started touring. I feel Garth has lost alot of fans. First with the CG thing that alot of people didnt understand, then with the retirement that ticked alot of fans off and saddened more. Scarecrow in Garth standards did terrible. 3 million is very good but not for Garth. I think alot of that was Capitol knowing that they werent going to promote him anytime soon and then with no tour to support the album. I just think sure Garth is happy doing what hes doing but I think he would love to come back hes just too scared to do it right now. Hopefully, Walmart in the picture has to mean he has something up his sleeve. He cant remain a recluse forever.
    Has everyone forgotten that these "top dogs" would never have seen the inside of a record label office, if it wasn't for Mr. B. opening the door to the industry? After 13 years of hard, hard touring, he gave his fans 110%. So, so the true fans will let the man catch his breath. Give our blessings and be supportive when (and I do say when) they go back out.

Besides, how many other acts can compete with the Beatles and Michael Jackson in sales?

I love you guys!

Terea

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaKS
    So, so the true fans will let the man catch his breath. Give our blessings and be supportive when (and I do say when) they go back out.

Terea
    this is not meant to be directed solely at you teresa- but oyurp ost contained an indicative statment...

"so the true fans.." that implies that tehre are fans who are true and who aren't true.. who decides the "truth" line? what makes one a true fan then?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

oh I know...

There's been too much anomosity. Let's be a "family" again and be happy. Tell you what, I post some more fun pics for the "family" over on the Stillwater thread.

When we're out and about and my honey gets recognized, he always speaks, smiles and signs for people.

No human being is without flaws. Me? People call me for legal advice at all hours and in stores, and in restaurants. I'm off duty you know? That's what I tell them anymore. However, I do want them to call my office on Monday morning, so they get a nice smile and a business card.

Sky....lighten up,

Tiny T.

Quote Originally Posted by beckysue59

Do you remember all the times Garth said he thinks the fans know he's the kind of guy who would die for the music? And that Chris Gaines is the Braveheart of the music industry? There's no escaping this notion of sacrificial love. Perhaps maybe Garth just wants to put more of a "face" on it, by being that hero he's akways wanted to be.

Or perhaps he would say. "no. no. no. It's not like that at all. This is just a character." I really don't know. But still, it does seem an obsession. Mine with Chris Gaines is Garth's fault. He started this and must finish it. I really believe he feels that he must too. My job as a fan is to believe in this dream too.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaKS
    There's been too much anomosity. Let's be a "family" again and be happy. Tell you what, I post some more fun pics for the "family" over on the Stillwater thread.
    are those the pics you referred to in your email to me? I don't know if there's any real animosity (well, not yet anyway!) ... why is it that people don't want ot ever talk about this issue though- that in itself says a lot, ya know?

When we're out and about and my honey gets recognized, he always speaks, smiles and signs for people.
    awesome!

No human being is without flaws. Me? People call me for legal advice at all hours and in stores, and in restaurants. I'm off duty you know? That's what I tell them anymore. However, I do want them to call my office on Monday morning, so they get a nice smile and a business card.
    awesome again!

Sky....lighten up,

Tiny T.
    why? I'm not upset....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

As for Chris Gaines I never really 'got it' but I love the music!!! If I'm honest I don't think the film would make it!! As for Scarecrow love it too. It is different which is why it probably only sold 3m and also the fact that Garth didn't tour.

As for Garth he should do what is right for him and his family. You only get one shot at life and you should make the most of it. If he had left his three girls with Sandy and gone touring he would have be slated for that. I feel he loves his girls and felt that he should be around for their upbringing. His choice!
    As for not being top dog that is the biggest load of 'rubbish' I have heard. I am sure he doesn't care. He has his girls and now the love of another woman - he is in a happy place and good for him. I love the music, and I'd love to see him perform again but that is his choice. We all have choices to make in this life and he has made his. With all the publicity over his engagement I think he is still 'up there' and if and when he decides to come back to us he will be welcomed by everyone!!

Jude

This ain't no practice life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jude
    As for Chris Gaines I never really 'got it' but I love the music!!! If I'm honest I don't think the film would make it!! As for Scarecrow love it too. It is different which is why it probably only sold 3m and also the fact that Garth didn't tour.

As for Garth he should do what is right for him and his family. You only get one shot at life and you should make the most of it. If he had left his three girls with Sandy and gone touring he would have be slated for that. I feel he loves his girls and felt that he should be around for their upbringing. His choice!
    As for not being top dog that is the biggest load of 'rubbish' I have heard. I am sure he doesn't care. He has his girls and now the love of another woman - he is in a happy place and good for him. I love the music, and I'd love to see him perform again but that is his choice. We all have choices to make in this life and he has made his. With all the publicity over his engagement I think he is still 'up there' and if and when he decides to come back to us he will be welcomed by everyone!!

Jude

This ain't no practice life!!

Dont think you need to be rude. I was posting my opinion and that is still my opinion. I said Garth would be top dog if and when he comes back. But there are alot of top dogs right now so if and when he comes back he probably wont be the only one which he was before he left. I love Garth and cant wait for him to come back. I am one true blue Garth Brooks fan who is disappointed because he gave us all up. But I do understand his girls come first just dont know why he cant do both.

Dont think you need to be rude. I was posting my opinion and that is still my opinion. I said Garth would be top dog if and when he comes back. But there are alot of top dogs right now so if and when he comes back he probably wont be the only one which he was before he left. I love Garth and cant wait for him to come back. I am one true blue Garth Brooks fan who is disappointed because he gave us all up. But I do understand his girls come first just dont know why he cant do both.

Wow! sorry if you thought that was rude. Like you it is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. If you 'love' someone sometimes you have to let them go. If they truly love you then they will come back!

So if Garth comes back will it be fair on the fans if he only does a tour of USA? See that is one of his problems because he wants to come back here to Europe and especially Ireland. He is loved worldwide. So for him to come back now would mean he would have to leave the girls to tour and that is what he doesn't want to do. I understand that and accept it - I might not like it. He will come back when he is good and ready in about 10 years time - although I secretly hope it is sooner than that.

Jude

I didn't think Jude was being rude, either. *shrug*

--spud--

Let's get back on-topic people. It's supposed to be "Does Garth/any performers owe fans?"

I don't think he owes us anything more than what he already has. But it seems he wants to give us more. ^_^

I think Garth has given whatever he owes and then some. I think other performers have done the same. Others... just have an ego that is just as big (or too many times bigger) than their talent.

I think one thing I find important is that when you go into such a career you have to realize that you are not just a performer and not just an artist but also a role model to many people. People who watch you and like what they see are going to look up to you. Garth is an example of someone who takes this added responsibility very seriously. He doesn't treat his fans with respect because he doesn't want his public reputation to suffer. He treats his fans with honor and respect because it is the right thing to do, and because it is probably how he would want to be treated by other people.

While there is no "rule" in showbusiness that you have to accept this kind of attitude as a way of life, in many ways it is a shame if you don't, both for the artists and their fans. If the artist doesn't set a good example for people, it becomes a bad influence on the fans.

The other thing that disappoints me about famous people is them trying to get their fans on their side when it comes to politics. Like those who tried to tell their fans who to vote for in last year's presidential election, or those who donate their proceeds from their album or concert sales to an organization that is anti-republican or anti-democrat, or anti-any other political affiliation. Or those who give lectures at their concerts praising or bashing a particular politician, or a particular political belief. People are here to hear your music, they are not here to be told what to think and what politicians to are right and wrong as if the fans can't think and decide for themselves! =/ I can understand why people walk out of concerts when the artist makes a political statement. You can't expect to honor a diverse audience and have ALL of your fans feel valued if you're telling them what to think and who to support. This is another thing Garth doesn't resort to.

In terms of owing to their fans, it is just the same as owing to anyone else... being a celebrity doesn't (or at least shouldn't) excuse you from things like treating people with respect and displaying proper ettiquite to the general public. These are just basic things to live by no matter who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Kirby
    Let's get back on-topic people. It's supposed to be "Does Garth/any performers owe fans?"

I don't think he owes us anything more than what he already has. But it seems he wants to give us more. ^_^
    if he wanted to give us more, why walk away?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

People only owe you what you pay for.

We seem to put more expectations on the ones who give us more than we paid for. At first, we are grateful for the extra attention. An autograph, a picture, then a hug, then a 20 minute conversation at his home... it goes on and on until one day we are upset that we didn't get the attention we feel we are owed?

Thats crazy!

You can say they would be nothing without the fans. I say we would be nothing without the people who put it all out there for our pleasure.

You get what you pay for and if you're lucky, you come accross someone like Garth and you get what he freely gives.

~Ann~

Quote Originally Posted by Garth_FANtasizer
    People only owe you what you pay for.
    a very interesting point, ann.. We (the fans) paid for Garth's ability to have the house he has.. the family life he has.. the career he had(and has).. we bought the tickets and the music and hte videos and the other merchandise, et. al. So, Garth owes us then, eh? I agree..

We seem to put more expectations on the ones who give us more than we paid for. At first, we are grateful for the extra attention. An autograph, a picture, then a hug, then a 20 minute conversation at his home... it goes on and on until one day we are upset that we didn't get the attention we feel we are owed?

Thats crazy!
    an autograph (got it)... a picture (again, got one!)... the hug and conversation? never have met the man- .. I don' tknow that I agree w/ the escalation theory.. and ith as nothing really to do with "the attention we feel we are owed..." imo.. . it's not 'attention' we're owed...

You can say they would be nothing without the fans. I say we would be nothing without the people who put it all out there for our pleasure.
    and you are free to say that absolutely- and it is true- we would be nothing (as fans) without them.... true.. I agree- but 'they' (and Garth in particular) would be nothing (successful, able to walk away and turn away from "what brought him" what he has) without us...

You get what you pay for and if you're lucky, you come accross someone like Garth and you get what he freely gives.
    and freely walks away from- I agree- we get what we pay for- and with Garht we've gotten quite a bit!...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

...We (the fans) paid for Garth's ability to have the house he has.. the family life he has.. the career he had(and has).. we bought the tickets and the music and hte videos and the other merchandise, et. al. So, Garth owes us then, eh? I agree..
    I have a house, and a career. To whom do I owe a debt? I thought I worked for it. Does the fact that I earn more than most people I know mean I must owe someone else for it?

Should Garth be penalised and judged because the world at large values entertainment more than most other professions?

And just how much does he owe you, as an individual? Lets say he has millions upon millions of dollars, and you bought, say, $1000 worth of his product. What does he owe you? I'm estimating less than one line of a new song.

I promise you, whatever you've paid to hear Garth or see Garth I've spent a whole heap more. I've come from half way around the world many times. So if he owes you, then maybe I should get a key to his front door.

He owes me nothing. He has given me excellent product, fantastic concerts, many wonderful moments, and if I never see him again or hear another new Garth song I will still consider myself blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie from NZ
    I have a house, and a career. To whom do I owe a debt? I thought I worked for it. Does the fact that I earn more than most people I know mean I must owe someone else for it?
    I don't know- did your career and/or earnings come directly from a fan/artist type of relationship (i.e. did fans/people invest their time in you, purchase material you put out, support you via all diff. manners of that like?)

Should Garth be penalised and judged because the world at large values entertainment more than most other professions?
    no one's penalizing garth- some would sat it's the opposite- that he's penalizing them (us)..

And just how much does he owe you, as an individual? Lets say he has millions upon millions of dollars, and you bought, say, $1000 worth of his product. What does he owe you? I'm estimating less than one line of a new song.
    no one really knows....

I promise you, whatever you've paid to hear Garth or see Garth I've spent a whole heap more. I've come from half way around the world many times. So if he owes you, then maybe I should get a key to his front door.
    this is not a 'he owes or doestn't owe me more than you' type of feeling- it's not all abotu money after all...

He owes me nothing. He has given me excellent product, fantastic concerts, many wonderful moments, and if I never see him again or hear another new Garth song I will still consider myself blessed.
    and the beautiful thing is, you are free to feel that and i appreciate your feeling that way... others feel differently..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie from NZ

i completely agree, and i thank u for that post in this discussion.

I don't feel that Garth really owes me anything.. except maybe a small personal concert with my friends from PG.. j/k Garth He doesn't owe me anything because he's already given me so much with his life(his ups and downs), his music, himself.. not many artists that I know(other than my other 2 favorites) share themselves so deeply and richly with their fans. That's cool!

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Garth does owe his fans. Okay lets suppose the fans had not gone to any of his concerts, bought any of his CDs where would he be. If your livelyhood depends on the fans the ones that go to your concerts, buy your music, see your movies etc,etc then you owe them. Yes its okay for him to be with his kids but to the fans he DID just walk away. I am disappointed I have a right to be. Garth has a right to retire if he wants. However, as an entertainer he does owe his fans. Without us he wouldnt be a superstar.

Closed Thread