Closed Thread

Thread: Does Garth/any performer owe the fans?

Hybrid View

Does Garth/any performer owe the fans?

I was interested to read how some fan(s) felt about a situation where they felt they were not treated with the respect that they deserved...
    Understanding of course that what I do deserve and what I feel I deserve are two seperate and distinct conclusions that I must draw....

Having said that, what do we all think about this topic? I don't mind saying that I have to disagree with what I have been reading by the majority of the respondants.
    I do think that celeb's owe the fans, something. Stop typing, let me explain.
    If a star "makes it" why/how do they make it? Talent, yes, but were it not for the fans buying the product, requesting the songs on the radio and attending the concerts I suggest that the star might be working a regular 9-5 job like me. So, yes I think that stars do owe the fans something.

I know that we all have our days, (you may not always get waved at) but I do think that its a unique situation and, for lack of a better term, something IS owed.

Case in point: If I were to work as a server and I had a regular table that came in and tipped me very well every week, I would think that I owed them something. I owe them good service, but I also owe them that little bit extra to say thank you for the generous tip. I would make darn sure that their drinks were never empty, and their food was piping hot.

To say that stars don't owe the fans would be saying that I wouldn't have to be courteous to my tables. Without the customers I would not have a job, if they complained, I would be looking for a new one...

ON a related topic, I also don't have a lot of sympathy toward celeb's that are opposed to having their pics taken....it can't be good for publicity ONLY when you want it, you can't have it both ways. (Not talking about stalking...)

I want to say that I've seen a few posts on here where, when someone says something that is not in line with popular opinion, the claws come out. Let me say that I'm not an anonymous flame war-starter, I've been a member for quite awhile, check it out. This is not a post specific to Garth or any star, but it may be....I'm just wondering what the consensus is? You never know, you may be able to change my mind with a good arguement??

Since this is a forum specifically for Garth Brooks, I will only address my feelings towards him here.

Personally, I do not feel as though he owes me anything. He gave me MUCH in terms of music, perfomances and goodwill from his career. He gave me 12 years of hard work, intensity and ultimate showmanship. I feel like I am owed nothing. I am also quite gracious for what he did give us.

I'm thankful. I'm content.

....And I am damn proud to call myself a fan.

--spud--

I don't think Garth owes us anything, I think he is still giving.
    Everytime he takes time out of his day to come to the gate and talk, take pics, ect. And with all the charity work he does.

I too am proud to call myself a fan, and will forever.
    Gloria

I just had a great debate with a friend from work. Paul may have changed my mind... Using the example that after I leave work, I shouldn't be expected to come in on my days off/retirement and say good-morning....never thought of that analogy. Still wondering what other posters think? It makes for interesting debate if nothing else....

Ps. Lets not get into the whole "I'm a big fan, no I'm a bigger fan." I think we all realize that we are fans here, just different opinions...the purpose was to have a healthy debate, not to offend. No need to tell me how big a fan you are, how many shows you've been to...

I don't think celebs owe us anything.

To use the same example of the waiter. He get's tipped after his service. If it's good... he gets a good tip... if not... then he doesn't.

The same goes with a performer. If they do well then those that like their music/acting/etc. will pay to see them or pay to buy more albums. The music lovers reward is that they have a piece of art they get to enjoy.

If you buy a painting... you don't get to decide what the artist does next or get to feel they should do certain things for you. If they choose to stop painting... well... you just can't buy anymore.... and they don't get paid anymore.

When Garth was performing... he really gave it his all... maybe a little too much than he should have since he neglected his family in the process. In return he became very successful. While he was performing or promoting an album, he also spent a lot of time giving back to the fans with autographs and talking to them after concerts and at the gate of his home.

He's not performing (other than charity) now... and he's not selling or supporting an album... so people aren't paying him for anything... but he still meets and greets with fans when he's able.

So if anything the people are getting a bonus as he's given more back than he had to.

Garth the waiter has quit working at the resturant.... and isn't paid or tipped anymore. So why should the patron think he should still come in and serve them? It's actually amazing that he still does and he does it out of appreciation for the fans. We got a bonus dessert I guess you could say.

If it's a matter of the celebs owing the fans even long after they've performed a work of art or sold an album...... at what point does it stop? Do they owe us forever? That's not work... that's slavery.
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    I don't think celebs owe us anything.
    I don't think so ether.

I do think when a celebrity is promoting an album, a movie, or any project, then for that time they do owe the fans some of their time to sign autographs, to shake hands, etc. That is part of the package. Once the promotion is over or the celebrity has retired, I do not think they owe the fans anything. I also think it is wrong for any celebrity to be disrespectful to a fan, however, I also think it is important for fans to be just as respectful to the celebrity.

I think that Garth would be the first to say that he owes his success to his fans.

Having said that though, no one ever held a gun to my head and forced me to by his records. I bought them because I knew I would get my moneys worth. He has given me many hours of entertainment, and I think that is all he REALLY owed us. The rest of the stuff he does (for the fans, for charity, etc.) is like icing on the cake. It's not really necessary, but it's nice. And it's part of what makes him special.

On the flip side, I don't think I would be interested in someone who always shunned the fans and acted like a jerk (as some celebs do). I think in that case, I would just choose NOT to buy their records, see their movies, or whatever. I just wouldn't be interested in someone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gbwnab
    I know that we all have our days, (you may not always get waved at) but I do think that its a unique situation and, for lack of a better term, something IS owed.
    But let's not forget that the story of the non-wave is, by our best determination not a true story at all.

I see a lot of artists interact with a lot of fans. I see those that take the time to sign every autograph they can, I see those who won't sign autographs at all, and I see a whole lot of stages in between. MOST artists, even if they don't have the time to sign, will at least explain that they have another appointment, maybe tell where else they'll be that week, thank everyone for coming out, etc. That makes a huge difference.

In the four+ years I've been at my current job, which puts artists from all walks of life in direct access with the tourists, there have been three artists I recall who just would not sign any autographs or acknowledge the fans, and asked to have security keep them back so they wouldn't have any interaction.

One of them no longer walks the earth so I'll let them rest in peace. The other 2 didn't make it in the business - and you've been reading about one of them in the news here lately, and it isn't for doing good deeds.

What I do think is "owed" to the fans is common courtesy. And I can't begin to tell you how many of the artists that stay and sign and meet and hug and smile and pose give credit to the way they treat the fans to Garth.

J.

I think they owe you a good show if you buy a concert ticket, and they owe you a good quality product if you buy an album, but that's about it.

Everything that someone, like Garth, gives outside of that is a huge bonus and a blessing, and should never be taken for granted.

Regarding your original analogy of the waitress, Joyce, I agree that you would owe your customers the good service that you stated, but beyond the common courtesy that you would give anyone on the street (and I acknowledge that a lot of people don't even do that) I think it stops as soon as you clock off. Outside work you have no obligation whatsoever.

I don't get the credit for the waitress analogy, although I did spend a lot of time waitressing in my younger years, so I like it!

J.

Thank you so much for everyones very interesting opinions! If I may ask a question, and it may lead off topic, but thats ok- I started this one so please bear with me.

I work in a place where I "am always a representative of the company" I guess for the most part we all would be, no? If any one of us made the 6 o'clock news for some unscrupulous act I'm sure our boss' would not be pleased....

As for the comment about "it stops once you clock off" Would you say that the same holds true for, say, a police officer? Just asking because of situations I've found myself in, but if you knew a certain officer, and saw them in public, off duty....would you think that they "owed" a situation their expertise should it be required??

Again, no right or wrong answers- just wondering. Some that I worked with thought that they were ALWAYS police officers- I sat with others at functions that refered to their jobs as "working for the gov't" when asked about their employment, so there are all types of mentality...

It does kinda fit in with the Garth category since the original question was, does he OWE us anything-this is just respnose supporting my original position- maybe??

As for the comment about "it stops once you clock off" Would you say that the same holds true for, say, a police officer? Just asking because of situations I've found myself in, but if you knew a certain officer, and saw them in public, off duty....would you think that they "owed" a situation their expertise should it be required??
    Well... my dad worked for the North Slope Borrow Police Department [N.S.B.P.D.] and I asked him the same thing.... he sead that even thow they dont get paid for it, a police officer is always on duty. So they should always help you when you need it. But they only have a restricted area to work in. If they are out of that area then they have no right to interfear with the problem.

I still say that they don't owe us eneything unless we did something inportant for them. Other than that they dont owe eneything to us besides an autographed book or CD/Tape and a shake of the hand at an convention. But like some body already sead... that's all part of the pacage.

**Charlene**

Garth is scared as I see it. He was top dog for so long and now there are so many top dogs, Toby,Tim, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith maybe he just doesnt want to come back if he cant be the top dog. Although if he came back he would gain top dog status as soon as he started touring. I feel Garth has lost alot of fans. First with the CG thing that alot of people didnt understand, then with the retirement that ticked alot of fans off and saddened more. Scarecrow in Garth standards did terrible. 3 million is very good but not for Garth. I think alot of that was Capitol knowing that they werent going to promote him anytime soon and then with no tour to support the album. I just think sure Garth is happy doing what hes doing but I think he would love to come back hes just too scared to do it right now. Hopefully, Walmart in the picture has to mean he has something up his sleeve. He cant remain a recluse forever.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetGBFan
    Garth is scared as I see it. He was top dog for so long and now there are so many top dogs, Toby,Tim, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith maybe he just doesnt want to come back if he cant be the top dog.
    an interesting theory! (thought I don't know if I'd label Gretchen wilson a "top dog' yet...

Although if he came back he would gain top dog status as soon as he started touring. I feel Garth has lost alot of fans. First with the CG thing that alot of people didnt understand, then with the retirement that ticked alot of fans off and saddened more. Scarecrow in Garth standards did terrible. 3 million is very good but not for Garth.
    another great point- but what can he expect if his only promotion and support for an album is 3 "concert specials" combined with a few shows (leno, today show, etc..)

I think alot of that was Capitol knowing that they werent going to promote him anytime soon and then with no tour to support the album. I just think sure Garth is happy doing what hes doing but I think he would love to come back hes just too scared to do it right now. Hopefully, Walmart in the picture has to mean he has something up his sleeve. He cant remain a recluse forever.
    no, he can't- and with him going away from capitol, the next obvious step is making his own label (which he could afford)... then signing himself, and getting TY away from MCA.. he could easily make music and release his own songs under his own label... would htere be any backlash from Capitol at all thoguh... who knows?...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

listen

Garth is scared as I see it. He was top dog for so long and now there are so many top dogs, Toby,Tim, Kenny, Keith, Gretchen, Faith maybe he just doesnt want to come back if he cant be the top dog. Although if he came back he would gain top dog status as soon as he started touring. I feel Garth has lost alot of fans. First with the CG thing that alot of people didnt understand, then with the retirement that ticked alot of fans off and saddened more. Scarecrow in Garth standards did terrible. 3 million is very good but not for Garth. I think alot of that was Capitol knowing that they werent going to promote him anytime soon and then with no tour to support the album. I just think sure Garth is happy doing what hes doing but I think he would love to come back hes just too scared to do it right now. Hopefully, Walmart in the picture has to mean he has something up his sleeve. He cant remain a recluse forever.
    Has everyone forgotten that these "top dogs" would never have seen the inside of a record label office, if it wasn't for Mr. B. opening the door to the industry? After 13 years of hard, hard touring, he gave his fans 110%. So, so the true fans will let the man catch his breath. Give our blessings and be supportive when (and I do say when) they go back out.

Besides, how many other acts can compete with the Beatles and Michael Jackson in sales?

I love you guys!

Terea

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaKS
    So, so the true fans will let the man catch his breath. Give our blessings and be supportive when (and I do say when) they go back out.

Terea
    this is not meant to be directed solely at you teresa- but oyurp ost contained an indicative statment...

"so the true fans.." that implies that tehre are fans who are true and who aren't true.. who decides the "truth" line? what makes one a true fan then?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

oh I know...

There's been too much anomosity. Let's be a "family" again and be happy. Tell you what, I post some more fun pics for the "family" over on the Stillwater thread.

When we're out and about and my honey gets recognized, he always speaks, smiles and signs for people.

No human being is without flaws. Me? People call me for legal advice at all hours and in stores, and in restaurants. I'm off duty you know? That's what I tell them anymore. However, I do want them to call my office on Monday morning, so they get a nice smile and a business card.

Sky....lighten up,

Tiny T.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaKS
    There's been too much anomosity. Let's be a "family" again and be happy. Tell you what, I post some more fun pics for the "family" over on the Stillwater thread.
    are those the pics you referred to in your email to me? I don't know if there's any real animosity (well, not yet anyway!) ... why is it that people don't want ot ever talk about this issue though- that in itself says a lot, ya know?

When we're out and about and my honey gets recognized, he always speaks, smiles and signs for people.
    awesome!

No human being is without flaws. Me? People call me for legal advice at all hours and in stores, and in restaurants. I'm off duty you know? That's what I tell them anymore. However, I do want them to call my office on Monday morning, so they get a nice smile and a business card.
    awesome again!

Sky....lighten up,

Tiny T.
    why? I'm not upset....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I don't feel that Garth really owes me anything.. except maybe a small personal concert with my friends from PG.. j/k Garth He doesn't owe me anything because he's already given me so much with his life(his ups and downs), his music, himself.. not many artists that I know(other than my other 2 favorites) share themselves so deeply and richly with their fans. That's cool!

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Garth does owe his fans. Okay lets suppose the fans had not gone to any of his concerts, bought any of his CDs where would he be. If your livelyhood depends on the fans the ones that go to your concerts, buy your music, see your movies etc,etc then you owe them. Yes its okay for him to be with his kids but to the fans he DID just walk away. I am disappointed I have a right to be. Garth has a right to retire if he wants. However, as an entertainer he does owe his fans. Without us he wouldnt be a superstar.

Garth does owe his fans. Okay lets suppose the fans had not gone to any of his concerts, bought any of his CDs where would he be. If your livelyhood depends on the fans the ones that go to your concerts, buy your music, see your movies etc,etc then you owe them. Yes its okay for him to be with his kids but to the fans he DID just walk away. I am disappointed I have a right to be. Garth has a right to retire if he wants. However, as an entertainer he does owe his fans. Without us he wouldnt be a superstar.
    very well put....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

but at the same time, does him giving us great music and us giving him the money from buyin cds, concert tickets etc not even it all out?

to some it does- to some it does not I guess...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Here is my opinion. When you bought a cd, you paid $15-$18 for a cd, which you received and listened to. When you bought a concert ticket, you paid $30-40 for a show that you attended. If you bought other merchandise, t-shirts etc, you paid a certain amount for a shirt that you then wore, etc. We bought what Garth was making, we did not BUY GARTH. He did always make a distinction between Garth the product, and Garth the man.

Now obviously, the amount of people buying Garth's products made him rather wealthy. So we had a hand in making him rich and famous. But so did his family, friends, record label, producer, manager, songwriters, etc etc, and Garth himself. We by no means are completely responsible for him managing to stay on top the business for so long. We were an integral part, but Garth himself, with his talent, drive, hard work, etc, was more responsible than anyone. To say that we MADE him who he is is unfair, I think. He worked hard and sacrificed for it, and deserves the credit.

That said, am I disappointed that Garth just walked away? Sure! I still donít understand, and probably never will, why he canít make some studio albums with limited promotion and just a few shows. I donít understand why he seems to think if itís not going to sell 10 million, itís not worth making. But I try not to let my disappointment turn into a feeling that weíve been ďcheatedĒ by Garth. I know Iíve got way more than $15 worth of playing out of every Garth cd Iíve ever bought. Wanting more from him does not mean that I am entited to, or owed, more.

Kayla

Quote Originally Posted by musicfan43
    ... We bought what Garth was making, we did not BUY GARTH. ...
    Perfect. I love it.

Closed Thread