+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the history of Stillwater

the history of Stillwater

Maybe those in the know can tell their story for us who were missing in action all those special years. Even better would be words from the band members themselves. Let's just write together a living bio of the band. Anything you can remember might help put all the missing pieces together for me. I'll bet lots of you have some very special memories you'd like to share.

oh! and I have a question to get us started

Just who were all the band members at any given time? I'm not sure I know that answer even close.

The band members at any given time are as follows...

Jimmy Mattingly
    James Garver
    Mike Palmer
    Dave Gant
    Mark Greenwood
    Steve McClure
    Ty England
    Besty Smittle (sp?)
    Debbie Nims
    Stephanie Davis (not sure if she was "official")
    Tim Bowers

Don't think there are any others. Good idea Dale for this thread! Lets hear the stories!

Leanne & Michelle
    Garth Brooks & Stillwater Band

"Bring'em to your town & watch'em burn it down"

---------------------------------------

Go to Dave Gant's site for his CD of hymns:
    www.hymnsofpraise.com

Somewhere I have the book with the names of some members who I think were with Garth's band while he was in Oklahoma, some of whom didn't come to Nashville with him and some who did but weren't with the band when he got his career going. My memory may be off on that though. The book was by Matt O'Meilia.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

You mean the members of Santa Fe?

Did any of them become part of Stillwater? Didn't they all impatiently leave the band before Garth would give up that second time around in Nashville? A little history lesson on them would be nice too.

Leanne & Michelle: There's only one name on your list I don't think I recall:
    Tim Bowers. Tell us about him?

Also, which of those on the list were and still are, with Stillwater, to this day. Are there an who have never missed a Stillwater appearance? I know Ty dropped out midstream to go solo, right? Wasn't that the plan all along Garth and Ty agreed on when they were roomates in college?

Inside Fame

I was watching my tape last night and Garth mentioned 4 guys out of 5 having marriage casualties, including himself. Who were the other 4 there from the beginning and there that fateful day Garth broke down onstage opening for Eddie Rabbit on the first tour? I assume Ty England is the one who's marriage is still intact?

Also, were these 4 present at the coast-to-coast events?

If you guys don't jump in now, I give up!

Dale- I believe Tim Bowers was replaced by Besty later on after Tim left the band, at least thats what I was told here when I asked who he was..

the book The Road to Sante Fe I believe recalls a lot of the band members as Stillwater was being formed in the early years.

hope that helps.

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Oh boy, let's see.

Vanessa is right about Tim Bowers. He was the bass player in 89'. He left to be a road manager for someone. Can't remember who.

As for the remaining Stillwater guys. It is the same guys you have been seeing on stage forever it seems. Mike Palmer, James Garver, Jimmy Mattingly, Dave Gant, Steve McClure, and Mark Greenwood. We love these guys!

None of the Sante Fe members where in the Stillwater band. They all broke up when they got to Nashville.

Who in Stillwater would you like to meet? To those who have met all of them who would you like to remeet?

L & M

www.hymnsofpraise.com

I've met Mike, Dave, Ty, Mark and of course Jimmy. I rode on the plane with Garver out to South Padre, but didn't officially meet him, and I've seen Stephanie perform at the Bluebird a couple of times but I don't think I've ever met her either.

I'm curious to the Yukon Girls... y'all are the diehard Stillwater fans... I'd almost suggest you're bigger Stillwater Fans than you are Garth fans. So what is it about the band that has drawn you in to them?

J.

So does anyone know what Mike Palmer is up to?

He and my best friend in college went to high school together in Plant City, Florida and played in the school band together.

I know when Garth retired that he eventually teamed up with Ty to be his manager at the encouragement of Garth. So is he still doing things with Ty or what?
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

I'd love to meet everyone in Stillwater that'd be very cool I'll talk to a friend tonight hopefully and see what I can find out about the other members of Stillwater.

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Well I went to Ty's website. Hadn't been there in a while. What a nice little place he has there. It's really cool how he, the other band members, and even their wives keep in touch with the fans through letters and posts on their forums.

They've JUST gotten back for a USO tour in Korea and there are pictures and a couple of letters from TY there as well as stories from others. VERY COOL! Sounds like they had a great time... but really no rest on their return as they have play dates right after.

Anyone going to see Ty anytime soon? He's not scheduled on the east coast anytime soon it seems.

No word on if Mike Palmer is still managing on the site... which is why I took a look over there... but I guess that kind of thing wouldn't be there anyway.

Mike is not still managing Ty.

J.

Ahhhh...... so do we know what Mike is up to these days?

deanna (a member here talks ocassionaly to James' dad) and last time I heard James' dad (can't remember his name) was down visiting his son at their house having a cookout If I can find out any more info.. I'll let ya'll know.

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Quote Originally Posted by Yukongirls
    Oh boy, let's see.

Vanessa is right about Tim Bowers. He was the bass player in 89'. He left to be a road manager for someone. Can't remember who.
    I think Tim was the road manager for Ricky Van Shelton at one point but not sure if if was right after he left Stillwater.

Paula
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Hey Paula that's right!

Last we heard, Mike and this other guy started up there own business. Not sure of what it is though. That was about 6 months ago when we heard that.

Joyce we don't even know how to answer that question. Something about them just caught our eye back when we where 15 and we have loved them ever since. See told you we didn't know how to answer it. Let us think about it and then we will come back and try to explain it. hehehe

L & M

www.hymnsofpraise.com

now this is more like it!

I saw Ty perform last year at the Manatee County Fair on the West Coast of Florida, after failed attempts to bring him back to Martin County. For all I know, I may have met Mike if he was playing drums for Ty's band? I remember Ty's cousin Mike who basically ran things I thought. I met him at the Florida State Fair Convention.

But that show is not when I met Ty. That officially happened when we went out to the loggers festival to see Ty. He knew some of us were coming and were considering him for our next fair. But the whole event was a diaster and poorly run. For the very first time ever, Ty and the band didn't get to go onstage, through no real fault of their own. The event was cancelled right before they arrived. Ty begged them to let the band play anyway. He was so upset they wouldn't let him take care of us who came. So they did the next best thing and gave us a cozy acoustic performance right there in front of the bus. And I got plenty of Ty hugs, just like I dreamed! The concert at our fair didn't happen either, but I did get that. Plus, meeting his fiddle player Kyle. I LOVE that guy!!!

What a GREAT story Dale!!! Thanks for sharing it. My already good opinion of Ty just went up immeasurably! What a guy! And what a gal for you working to get something going!

Tidbits

okay guys, I got some stuff out if honey:

He auditioned for Mr. B in his basement. They started out with a van, packed with equipment, luggage and guys.

Mr. B paid the band, but what the band didn't know until later is how much Mr. & Mrs. B put out and made nothing.

It all happened real fast like within a year or so, the calendar was full, Mr. B probably, finally, got a paycheck and the best part was they got a bus.

The (first) bus didn't have reverse, so they all had to get out and push the thing.

The Yukons have the original members correct.

I'll try to get more out of him later..

Bye,
    Tiny T

We'll be waiting!!!!

Here's a picture from Teresa of three of the original members of Stillwater - Betsy, Steve, and is that Mark on the right?

Paula
    Attached Images
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

How cute! Thanks Teresa!!!

-sandi

Awesome! That is Mark.

Hey all, I just found this thread. The guys from Stillwater are awesome. Thanks for the information about them. Answering someone's question about who we would like to meet/remeet is tough. I would probably have to say either Jimmy or Dave. But I would love to to see them all and maybe get their autographs sometime. Love the picture by the way, thanks.

Heather

I have a question for Steve

Teresa? Could you ask him what is his most memorable fan moment and band moment? That's fit to print at least!

For Fuzz..

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzwuzz
    Teresa? Could you ask him what is his most memorable fan moment and band moment? That's fit to print at least!
    I hope I don't get in trouble for this...This is one for each catagory (band/fan story) as told to me by my honey:

Once there was a woman who sent shoeboxes of home-made cookies to the band. The band opened the shoeboxes and inside they found home-made cookies, together with coupons for cat food and cat litter. Upon further inspection of the home-made cookies, they found kitty litter and dry cat food morsels baked in them. So, thereafter, she was dubbed the "cat lady" and they laughed at her shoeboxes of cookies filled with coupons, but the cookies were not consumed.

[Cat Lady, whoever you are...please forgive me. I'm sure you are a very kind, sincere fan.]

Tiny T.

OMG! How weird! One can only hope that she thought that they had a pet cat on the bus?!?! *lmao*

Here are some more Stillwater vignettes from Teresa...hope they will be legible resized. The first lists the members of Stillwater with their birth dates, place of birth, height and weight, hair and eye color and favorites. The second is a poster of the band.

Thanks Teresa!

Paula
    Attached Images
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

The first one is a great picture of Garth and Steve! The second one is the itinerary from 1989.

Paula
    Attached Images
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

+ Reply to Thread