Closed Thread

Thread: a charity suggestion in honor of Sandy

a charity suggestion in honor of Sandy

I know that in the past for Garth's birthday we'd send in money to Teammates 4 kids in his honor..why dont we do the same thing for Sandy's birthday? Does anyone know when it is? What do ya'll think? I know that she'd apprecaite the gesture I'm sure Lets see if we can beat our old record from last year! I know that we can do it!!

God and peace,
    Vanessa

I'll probably be slayed for saying this, but I don't think this is appropriate anymore. Even though I'm sure the intention is good, I think in some ways it's disrespectful to Garth, not to mention Trisha, that some of us can't move on, like he obviously has. Also, based on some of the things I've heard, I'm not sure this gesture would be appreciated as much as some think it would be. I apologize in advance if I've offended anyone.

Carol
    Carol Ann

Carol,

As much love and respect as I have for Sandy, I have to totally agree with you that it's no longer appropriate to do something like that.

Vanessa, I think the thought is wonderful, but I don't think it's something that PG would initiate or be involved in.

Moni

I think that is a great idea, Sandy is a wonderful, beautiful person. A wonderful mother to the girls. Her birthday is January 16th. Hope that helps?

I won't slay you Carol. *chuckle*

But I wholeheartedly agree with Carol and Moni, this is no longer appropriate.

Sue
    Don't you know, Nobody drinks alone, Every demon, every ghost from your past and, every memory you've held back follows you home, Nobody drinks alone.

That's cool ya'll and I agree Thanks for responding

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Isn't Sandy involved with the Nashville zoo? Not sure about in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ann
    I'll probably be slayed for saying this, but I don't think this is appropriate anymore..... I apologize in advance if I've offended anyone.

Carol
    Carol,

I loved exactly what you said, but, you know it really bothers me that you felt you had to include these above quotes. No one should have to apologise or be scared to say something that should have been so obvious in the first place. We all know that Garth is totally and utterly in love and besotted with Trisha if there were any thought on a birthday donation, then quite frankly Trisha's is coming up in September (not that I am saying we do this btw cos we did recently donate on TY.com).

My point being...
    Sandy is the PAST, his kids are NOW(they are young after all) and Trisha is NOW and THE FUTURE.

jmho

Lynette

May I say this? Sandy will always be a part of Garth's life, no matter what. They are still friends and always will be. She is not out of Garth's life.

I think it would be perfectly fine to do something in Sandy's name. She's a person... a mother to Garth's children... and by his own account a dear friend.... not just a "past". I don't think she's ever going to be a "past" either.... just different.

I wouldn't have any problem doing something like this for Trisha either.

It's just something NICE... in the name of someone NICE. I think people can either do it if they like it... or ignore it if they don't... no hard feelings on anyone's part. And I think it would warm Sandy's heart to know that we still remember he fondly for all the years that were given.
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

Well said Snow! I whole heartedly agree with you. IMHO, Garth would agree with you also!

I know I haven't been a part of PG for as long as some of you, and I think we really have no way of truly knowing Garth's feelings on this this matter...but I can't help but feel a little uncomfortable having a donation come from PG (if that's what is decided). Sure, people will either participate or not, but the general thought in the long run is that it's from "PG".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that she was a part of his past, and yes, while she's the mother of his beautiful children, he has someone else in his life that he cherishes--Trisha. I can't help but think of her feelings, I guess, if I put myself in that position. I agree with Moni and Carol in questioning how appropriate this would be...

Thanks..

Sandi

Well, how appropiate is it that Garth lives almost right there with the mother of his children? Surely Sandy will never be just a part of Garth's past in his heart. I know I struggle with that myself, feeling like just a memory to Garth these days. But at least it's a damn good one and here we still are celebrating it.

I have not been a member of pg as long as some people here but I would feel uncomfortable if this donation was made in the name of PG. I agree with Sandis that we truly dont know how Garth would feel on this subject. Garth truly loves his kids and Trisha, this we know. If you want to do a donation could I suggest in his kids name? We know he would definatly appreciate that.

I really think Trisha's heart is bigger than being jealous or hurt over people donating to charity in Sandy's name. She'd probably chip in. As for Garth... as always we can only go by what he's said in the matter... and that is that Sandy is one of his best friends and an even better friend now that this is all behind them.

Unlike a lot of celeb splits we've seen no mud slinging... no hurt rants... nothing but niceness from all parties concerned. I think they've got it all worked out... and maybe we're the only ones having some kind of difficulty with this. I just think we're making problems where there doesn't seem to be any.

I for one greatly admire Sandy and all she went through and how classy she's been to the public. Garth and Trisha have each other and I'd hate to think that Sandy might feel that we've all just written her off as "the past" when she played a mighty big part in it all.

I would rather make a donation in the name of Garth's children also. That seems more appropriate to me-I agree with you Jag. I think he would be very appreciative of that, and it would be appropriately made in the name of Planet Garth.

It might be a hard pill for some to swallow, but Garth loves Trisha more than his own life, and you can see a huge difference in him since he's been with her.
    Don't you know, Nobody drinks alone, Every demon, every ghost from your past and, every memory you've held back follows you home, Nobody drinks alone.

I dont think anyone has said anything about Garth and his feelings for Trisha. This has nothing to do with it actually. It could be 21 years from now and Garth and Trisha could be celebrating their 20th anniversary and that wouldn't make a bit of difference. We're talking about a tribute to Sandy in recognition for all she's done.

I dont think anyone is even suggesting that they are dismissing or slighting Trisha. They are only trying to make a nice gesture towards Sandy. I think a lot of people remember the role she played in Garth's rise to fame, and that she'll always be part of his life. She's only mentioned on every single album insert even after they had split. I think it's been made quite clear by how they've behaved and organized their lives since the divorce that they are not going to be ex's that dont see each other for years at a stretch.

I'm just puzzled that some seem to have a problem with the idea that Garth can be very much in love with Trisha..... but still have a friendly and respectful relationship with Sandy.

Again I ask....... Why are WE making a problem where it seems that Garth, Trisha, and Sandy don't seem to have any???

Who says they aren't having any? If it's one thing I've learned... things are not always what they seem. I seriously doubt... given the current situation being that Garth and Trisha are very much in love... that Sandy is ready to throw their engagement party. But I could be wrong...

As for the donation... I agree that it wouldn't be appropriate.

deb- I agree we shouldnt be making a problem of it at all. if some PGers want to donate money let 'em do it, if some dont want to so be it.. its their choice not mine.. I was just trying to suggest something we could do to honor sandy cause imo she's been in the background of Garth's life for 14+ years and she derserves to be recognized for the things she's done to support Garth (thru the good and bad times)

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Isn't she getting alimony? ROFL

I'm just kidding yall.

Deb, while I can see your points, I just have a hard time agreeing with them...

Garth is the one we had/have a relationship with. Yes, Sandy played a role in his rise to fame, but what wife wouldn't? Did she do anything that any of us wouldn't? It would be nice to be recognized, but has the time for that not passed? Perhaps it would be a nice idea to ask Garth what he thinks of this before it's done, because maybe (like Krystal said) things aren't like they seem.

I don't think anyone's saying that he can't have a respectful relationship with Sandy... but something like this may be a little too "personal". (I'm not sure if that's the right word, but something like that!) She was his wife, they share 3 wonderful children, and they have to see each other because of them. Otherwise, who knows if they would?

LOL Krystal!

I guess we're all looking at this from different aspects. But really, what has she done that any wife wouldn't do for her husband? Look at how you stand behind your husband, Snow. I stand behind mine, too. Personally I don't think she's done anything out of the ordinary. I've never really seen her in the background of G's career either. She's always been right up there with him, standing right next to him and he's given her, her due, IMO.

I really don't think you or anyone has the knowledge here to say what kind of ex's they are or will be. What is done for the camera and out of respect for the children is a totally different thing than what they could really feel toward one another. The first consideration is the children and how things will affect them. I'd be willing to donate for the kids and still think that's the better idea.

Sue

Sue and Sandis, I couldn't agree more with both of you. I've never understood this whole thing about "all that Sandy did for Garth". I'm not saying she wasn't supportive and did whatever she could to help him along BUT as a married woman myself, I think that that is what a spouse's role is. We support our mate because we love them and we want them to be happy. I certainly don't think I personally deserve any special recognition for it. The only difference between what I do for my husband and what Sandy did for her's was that her's is famous and mine isn't. Deb, based on what I've read about your husband, you haven't had an easy go of it and you have to do more than a lot of us because of his health issues and I've never had the impression from anything you've written that you think you deserve any special praise for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me, based on what I've read that you've written, you do what you do because you love him. I agree with what you said about Trisha having a big heart and I don't believe she'd be jealous of Sandy. There is no reason for her to be jealous and there never has been. This isn't about Trisha and Garth being a couple. What this is about and the reason I don't think it's appropriate is because if this was just a donation made in a friends honour, that would be one thing, but this friend is his ex-wife and that implies that people at PG still think of Sandy as his wife and his partner. We don't make donations in Garth's other friends names so why Sandy? I also agree with others here when they say that although Garth gives the impression that he and Sandy are friends, I believe they are friends because of their children and knowing how Garth is, even if things weren't as he is portraying them to be, he would be too much of a gentleman to ever show that.

Carol
    Carol Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    We're talking about a tribute to Sandy in recognition for all she's done.

I dont think anyone is even suggesting that they are dismissing or slighting Trisha. They are only trying to make a nice gesture towards Sandy. I think a lot of people remember the role she played in Garth's rise to fame, and that she'll always be part of his life. She's only mentioned on every single album insert even after they had split. I think it's been made quite clear by how they've behaved and organized their lives since the divorce that they are not going to be ex's that dont see each other for years at a stretch.

I'm just puzzled that some seem to have a problem with the idea that Garth can be very much in love with Trisha..... but still have a friendly and respectful relationship with Sandy.

Again I ask....... Why are WE making a problem where it seems that Garth, Trisha, and Sandy don't seem to have any???
    Ummm I am curious about something.....I just recently came across an old article that said Sandy was the one responsible for Garth leaving his music behind after giving him a 'music or me' ultimatum. If he is missed so much, and that scenario is in fact true, why then is this discussion even happening??

I am puzzled as to why people think all IS rosy between Garth and Sandy!!! Actually, I know I am speculating, but being in the same situation, I would really think Garth's friendship with Sandy would only be due to them sharing the kids, whilst they are young. Garth's loyalty must now lie with Trisha and their future together.

Sometimes in life, (and this is my fave new saying)... you have to build a bridge and get over it. And it's quite obvious that's what Garth has done.

jmho, as always

Lynette

For the record... I'm not trying to discredit Sandy. In my opinion, she did alot for Garth's career... gave up alot... and put up with alot. For that she gets my respect. But out of respect for Garth, I choose not to donate in honor of his ex-wife. They are divorced... there's a reason why they are divorced... and anything I've heard from Garth's mouth about Sandy and their relationship was several years ago. So... because I am not privy to any current updates on their relationship... I'm playing it safe.

Best regards for Sandy's birthday!

Hey look. I didn't realize so many of you had a touchy spot about this and I didn't want to start a big fuss.

Heck... if I donate money it's going to be Garth's name anyway because that is the person that in the end who gave us the music. Many, many played a role in that... but he's the bottom line no matter how modest he is about it.

I'm just saying that if someone wants to do a nice thing and donate in Sandy's name... more power to them.

Besides just standing by Garth and giving moral support she cleaned churches and sold boots along with him to allow him to follow that dream... one which he'd left Nashville earlier without fullfilling and only came back later with Sandy. It's not that I think Sandy expects and extra attention for it... obviously she doesn't as she could have made that plain long ago and didn't. Garth is the one that has always sung her praises with regards to this and their continued friendship. He even said they are better friends now than they were before. Not a "married" friendship anymore of course... but I would still think it is deeper than a normal friend. BTW... the "choose the career or me" thing I think came from a tabloid. I'd have to be sure... but I'm pretty positive it's not something we've heard from Garth.

I just can't see a problem with fans (only those that want to) doing something to show they've not forgotten that part of it. Sure she got her alimony out of it. But dont you think it would be kind and sweet and give her a good feeling for her to know that those fans that used to hang out and talk to her at the buses or hang out practically on her doorstep hadn't just shrugged her off as yesterday's news?

Oh and it's true we dont know what goes on behind the scenes.... but in comparison to many of the other country music celebs they sure seem to get along and still respect each other. As with all the other "Garth curiosities" we wonder about... my answer is the same....... we can only go by what he tells us... and HE tells us that they are friends still.

Again....... sorry for making this a bigger issue than it needs to be. I'm not arguing with any of you.

As far as I'm concerned....... don't donate that way if you dont want to........ and do donate if you do want to. Not much more to it than that. But unless I hear otherwise from Garth I'm not going to think of Sandy in any way other than the way he has presented her... both before and after the divorce. And it has nothing to do with accepting or not accepting Trisha... just a recognition of a person that has value as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    Sure she got her alimony out of it.
    That was a joke. It might have been in poor taste... sorry.

I wonder what kind of conversations would be happening here if Garth and Trisha broke up?

deb

deb(snow) and everyone else- when I brought up this topic I never thought it'd be like this..people being so uptight perse about this. but ya'll are entitled to your own opinion..so in repsect of this topic and how people feel I'd like for it to be closed so not to upset anyone else.thanks

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Ok Vanessa. We all can do what we gotta do!

The thread is closed per the request of the author.

Closed Thread