+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Unlikely Heir to Garth Brooks

The Unlikely Heir to Garth Brooks

The Nashville Scene has a cover story on Kenny Chesney this week that has Garth mentions about every paragraph! Enjoy!

http://www.planetgarth.com/news/article.php?cid=01106

Funny little excerpt:
    He doesn't swing from ropes in concert like Garth once did, but he and buddy Tim McGraw did rustle a horse once.

Huh. Great for Kenny....however....I don't particularly like this part: ..."Indeed, for several years now, the previously most successful progenitor of ordinary sex appeal, rockin' country, Young Country and working-class dreams has all but disappeared from country radio, off licking his Chris Gaines-inflicted wounds and playing spring training baseball for charity."

I can't tell if he's serious, joking, being sarcastic... are people still hung up on the whole Chris Gaines thing? I can't believe that! If so, their loss.

Sandi

Heir?

I didn't care for that part, either. And no offense whatsoever to Kenny Chesney, but in my personal opinion, a "Garth Brooks" happens but once in a lifetime; possibly once in everyone's lifetime. Kenny is a good artist and I own some of his music. But I don't think that Kenny, Alan Jackson and Tim McGraw TOGETHER, could even begin to come close to filling Garth's shoes. And even though he is technically retired, I don't consider him "finished". Country music has suffered for the loss of his energy amongst them whether they want to admit it or not and besides that, the man just has far too much left to express to us to let the story end here. So good luck to Kenny in all his endeavors, but he needs to understand the truth that the title "King of Country Music" is not up for grabs. It was claimed in 1989 by Oklahoma's favorite son. I guess when God calls him home, one day in the far, far future, they'll just have to retire the title because all future contenders will pale by comparison.

Just my .02

Blesssings,
    ykonjackfan

B

I'm glad that Kenny is getting some long-overdue credit.

Sandi, you know the media! He was prolly thinking he knew what he was talking about. But we know better! Somebody give me his email. Just kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by ykonjackfan
    ... the title "King of Country Music" is not up for grabs. It was claimed in 1989 by Oklahoma's favorite son.
    Nicely said, Kelby. Cheers to you, girl!

Thanks Joyce for a nice read.

Krystal

Why Kenny Chesney? Where else was Garth's audience going to go?
    All I know is, when I listen to Richie Brown, I hear Garth. As in Garthbumps.

I was telling people Kenny was the next Garth back in 1997. Even told Kenny that once--lol. Everyone thought I was nuts. And these past few days whenever one of my local djs plays a Kenny song she calls him the 'unlikely superstar' and says that when he first came out no one thought he'd be around very long or ever be a big star. I always want to call in and tell her that if she listened to my phone calls back then she'd know he was going to go places--lol. I always thought Kenny was a mini-Garth--in his own way. It would be nice if he'd treat the fans as well as Garth does, but I'm not expecting a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by GriggsGarthGirl
    I was telling people Kenny was the next Garth back in 1997. Even told Kenny that once--lol. Everyone thought I was nuts. And these past few days whenever one of my local djs plays a Kenny song she calls him the 'unlikely superstar' and says that when he first came out no one thought he'd be around very long or ever be a big star. I always want to call in and tell her that if she listened to my phone calls back then she'd know he was going to go places--lol. I always thought Kenny was a mini-Garth--in his own way. It would be nice if he'd treat the fans as well as Garth does, but I'm not expecting a miracle.

Speaking of d.j.'s...the ones here keep saying that he's "come such a long way vocally", as in gotten so much better, from when he started to now. But doesn't everyone "grow"?! I like him, but well, he's not the same as Garth. And I think that the part at the end about the fans is a big reason why!!

Sandi

I think they only true thing in the title, IMHO, is the word 'unlikely'. Garth drew people of all ages, didn't rip the sleeves off his concert attire, and never postured himself as a 'sex symbol'. Plus I've can't recall Garth giving interviews on his sex life or loosing his virginity and such. He's conducted himself with a great deal of class.

Garth simply wrote and chose great music to perform and let the music do the talking. Kenny has an easy going way and I've enjoyed quite a few of his songs. But to me, Kenny is like cotton candy, pleasantly enjoyable occasionally; Garth is a great meal with family to be enjoyed often.

Since Garth is still heavily played, I don't feel his shoes are up for the filling. Kenny is Kenny; he shouldn't have to be the 'next' anyone.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

I do think it's a great compliment to Garth that he is the standard to which all successes in country music seem to be measured.

J.

I hadn't looked at it from that viewpoint; perhaps you're ever so correct, Joyce. I just wish the industry would look at an artist for whom that artist is and accept it. I get so tired of hearing 'so an so it the 'next' so and so' when in fact the person has his/her own merits and should be hailed on that basis.

I do agree our Garth set the bar quite high; one has to be an accomplished jumper to even come close.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Joyce, Barbara--

You both have a point!! Aargh. Garth sets a great standard, yet I also think it's a shame sometimes that the "industry" and I guess us as the "consumers" don't let the artists stand as themselves. I guess it's in our nature, and I don't know what we can do about that.

Re. Garth's sex life , I think the only comment I ever heard from him was during the Songwriter's Hall of Fame Awards a few years ago, when he accepted the Hitmakers Award (I think?), and he quoted Yogi Berra.... remember? I almost fell off the couch. I would have loved to see Trisha's face when she heard that... A friend said she heard that Trisha came back with "the pizza is pretty good", or something like that, but I've never heard that. I wonder if it's true? Does anyone know?

Kenny has now officially sold 15 million albums. Look out Garth, he's hot on your heals!!! (Please note sarcasm).

Okay, 15 million is nothing to sneeze at, but does this make him the "next Garth"?? I think not.

Well, Kenny is doing something big right here in S Florida today.
    http://www.regalcm.com/index_chesney.asp

ARGH!~ I wanted to go to that (the Nashville screening) and completely blew it off.

UGH!
    J.

Oh yeah! There's a theater in my area playing it too. I have the DVD, though... do you think it's any different? Aside from Kenny being there...which I'm pretty confident he's not going to be here!!

BTW, I heard on the radio that the DVD was going to released for sale in stores this week...before you could only get it through the fan club (I think?)!

Sandi

Why Kenny Chesney? Where else was Garth's audience going to go?

well it seems that Capitol is sort of hoping that the answer is keith urban..

and I like that better than Chesney.

but it's almost comical.

the way they are treating Keith over at Capitol now.. with the spring break special about to air... sounds like they are plugging a new name into a formula that worked real well for someone we all love.

not to slam keith in any way. I love him, and the music he gives us. I would just hate to see him "used" in a way that'll smack him in the back of the head one day.

Mel;

I don't want to be negative but Kenny Chesney? Uhhhh someone has to be pulling my leg. Kenny Chesney's music is good and I am happy for his success but there is no way he even begins to fill Garth's shoes. I may be biased but it sounds to me like using Garth's name is a way to get more readers. I don't think Kenny's songs show the heart and promise that Garth's have, nor do I think his live shows can even compare. Kenny way be consider Garth's successor but only because country fans really have a lack of alternatives.

<3 ber

Quote Originally Posted by berriffic
    I may be biased but it sounds to me like using Garth's name is a way to get more readers. I don't think Kenny's songs show the heart and promise that Garth's have, nor do I think his live shows can even compare. Kenny way be consider Garth's successor but only because country fans really have a lack of alternatives.

<3 ber

Well said.

Nashville trying to promote Kenny Chesney as the new Garth Brooks is the same thing the NBA tries to do with always proclaiming who the next Michael Jordon is going to be! It's not going to happen!!!! There never will be another like Garth or MJ in our lifetimes!

I agree. They HOPE there is a "next Garth Brooks" and the media is just arrogant enough to believe that they can create one. But it's not going to happen, ever.
    And I also agree that the alternatives are few these days. It's like trying to replace your cadillac escalade with something from the bicycle shop.

The media could barely handle the Garth Brooks they had but didn't create themselves. Remember, WE DID.

Dale, Amen!

Can I back up a minute? Because it seems strange I can even include myself in that WE, coming in post Chris Gaines like I did. Yet, that is the beauty of the Chris Gaines project to me. Somehow Garth did have me in mind when I didn't even know, and pulled me in with the rock music I already loved. Maybe I didn't make Garth, but I did make Chris Gaines along the way.

Well I don't listen to country music on the radio so I have no comment on Kenny. I'm into Godsmack, Audioslave, Linkin Park, Zeppelin and so on....and of course.....GARTH!!!!!!

I love the Chris Gaines album. My students love the Chris Gaines album, too. As a matter of fact, they used some music from it for their senior videos the year that came out. They were all eagerly awaiting the movie right along with me!
    Speaking of the Chris Gaines project, did anyone else besides me stand up in your living room and applaud when that Garth biographer on the latest CMT Garth documentary said something to the effect of, "If they didn't get it they were incredibly stupid". (speaking about the way people pretended not to understand the Chris Gaines project. That's not exact but it's the general jist.) People kill me with the way they hear only that which they want to hear. "Chris Gaines is a character in a movie". Is it really so hard to get that???

Kashmir: You remind me of a former student who was into all of the artists you listed there. It was easy for me to sell him on Garth's music, because as you know, Garth's music "sells" itself. He tried to get me to reciprocate by turning onto godsmack but I just couldn't quite hear the "beauty" in that! Ha I think it's cool when I see Garth's CD's mixed in with such an ecclectic collection as yours.

Kelby

Who's going to feel his shoes?

Well, probably no one since selling 105 million in a decade is a tough job. But if they look at record sales........ they would have to point to a lady that is doing better than the men in sales. Doesn't Shania have close to 30 million or so? I like Kenny, Alan, Tim, Clint, Vince all these nice looking fellows but Shania has them beat and I'm not even a Shania fan, just saying what they are leaving out.
    Tricia

Oh, but when Kenny takes that hat off it makes me forget his gorgeous body. Hair please............

I think it was Garth's friend, Steve Wariner, that said that about the reaction to Chris Gaines.

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerJ
    I do think it's a great compliment to Garth that he is the standard to which all successes in country music seem to be measured.

J.
    I agree Joyce When I read articles about different artists filling Garth's shoes, I used to just cringe....especially one artist in particlular, but I've come to look at it in just this way, as a compliment to Garth for holding the bar for others to be compared to. I hear it about hockey......this one's going to be the next Wayne Gretzky. I hear it about new Canadian artists......this one's going to be the next Shania Twain etc. etc.....it's just human nature to compare others in the same field to those who have achieved so much.

Back to the article, I do think that Kenny brings a real mixed bag of ages to his concerts and also like Garth, as was stated in the article, his songs can reach both young and old for different reasons. I for one, though, don't see Kenny as being even remotely sexy, in fact I have a hard time to look at him but I do love his voice. I've only been to one of his concerts and all I can say is that the article gave him alot more credit than what I witnessed.
    Anyway, great article Joyce....I was relieved it was about Kenny and not "you know who"
    -Susan-

in a bown of alphabet soup, you ry and put the letters together

maby it's the ocntenrt

hey I LIKE kenny chesny!!! That's why I"m here. is a great song, wish i could think of outehrs I want to mention to prove my point but i'll try my best. Have you thought that they are comparing garth to kenny not as fat as sex apeal or looks or any thing but content of lyric. IF you listen to Kennys stuff he realy does have sompthing to say, Wich is what made garth big

I dont care what you say you are never going to convince me that garth made it big by any reason outher than having sompthing to say, and i think kenny has that same quality. There are outher artest comming out that have stuff to say but kenny is established for having "a voice".'

I"m trying to make it make sence but it's all timeless ramblings frome and insaine poet
    Just some timeless ramblings frome an insain poet

Garth is a once in a lifetime artist NO DOUBT, but I'm am thrilled that Kenny is finally getting the credit that he really deserves...Kenny has been overlooked for so many years, and he is an extremly great artist, he may be no Garth...but he's a great country artist! Long, Live Country Music!

+ Reply to Thread