+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paint Me A Birmingham

Paint Me A Birmingham

Has anyone heard this song yet? Country Weekly's current issue talked about Ken Mellons' version of this song, and according to what I've found online, his version was released to radio in August. Now according to country.com, Tracy Lawrence's debut single will be the same song (or at least a song with the same title):
    Lawrence Signs New Record Deal
    After months of speculation, DreamWorks Records confirmed Friday (Sept. 26) that Tracy Lawrence has been added to the label’s Nashville roster. Lawrence’s debut single for DreamWorks is “Paint Me a Birmingham,” a track from his new album, Strong, arriving March 16, 2004.
    This happened at least once before when Trisha Yearwood and LeAnn Rimes both released How Do I Live. Does anyone remember if this happened before. I know about The Thunder Rolls being released by both Tanya Tucker and Garth, but I don't believe they were released at the same time. The same with Friends In Low Places...I don't believe Mark Chesnutt released his version to radio.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

tanya tucker did a version of The Thunder Rolls?? oh my!!..

god and peace,
    Vanessa

Ken Mellons is still around?

I didn't think Tanya actually released TTR, but I could be wrong. Usually it will wind up on 2 different albums, but they'll agree on who gets to release it. Like Darryl Worley cut POW 369, but so did Doug Stone, who actually had the song first, and he asked Darryl not to release it so he could. Of course, we were probably the only people in the country who played it - but we played Darryl's too, LOL.

I know the thunder rolls was on a box set she released....I dont know if it was on a regular record release though.

allison.

It was on a regular release and even included the 3rd verse.

sorry, should have clarified..... when I refer to someone "releasing" something, I'm thinking in terms of singles. Or as Paula so clearly put it, released it to radio. (as a single)

J.

They played both versions on my station this morning and asked people to call in with which version they liked better. Ken Mellons easily won with a ratio of 5 to 1. Several callers commented that they thought it would have been perfect if it was Ken's voice with Tracy's arrangement.
    Elaine

So how exactly DO you Paint a Birmingham?

New York, New York, United States, 108424279189115, New York, New York
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerJ
    So how exactly DO you Paint a Birmingham?

Joyce!!! I'm ROTFLMAO!!!!

Grandma Jo@nn
    Love Always,
    Jo@nn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Are you laughing at me because there's an obvious answer that I'm overlooking... or to cover the fact that you don't know either????

I did find this:
    ----------------
    Ken Mellons Paints Birmingham

Ken Mellons, who you probably know for his mega-hit "Jukebox Junkie" recently released the first single from his forthcoming album Sweet. The single, titled "Paint Me A Birmingham" is a moving ballad that tells the story of a man's lost dream of a perfect life. Featuring guest vocals by Vince Gill, Ken spins this original tale with great emotion, and his performance makes this single easily the best I've heard this year, and perhaps the best in several years!

Sweet will be released on Home Records in late October, and if 'Birmingham' is any indication, it's sure to be a great CD.

www.KenMellons.com
    ----------------------
    So apparently Ken is NOT on Curb any longer... which means his version is coming out on an indie label and Tracy's is coming out on Dreamworks. Not looking good for Ken.

Remember when everyone under the sun put out Butterfly Kisses at the same time?
    J.

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerJ
    I did find this:
    ----------------
    Ken Mellons Paints Birmingham
    Where did you find this, Joyce?
    Remember when everyone under the sun put out Butterfly Kisses at the same time?
    J.
    I do remember at least three artists with the song, but did they all come out at the same time? I think Jeff Carson's and Marty Raybon's (were those the two) may have come out around the same time, but Bob Carlisle's version came out a while before that, didn't it?

Paula
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

New York, New York, United States, 108424279189115, New York, New York
    Joyce!!! I have no idea what a Birmingham is... let alone how to paint it!!!

Your question just struck me so funny!!!
    It gave me the giggles!!

Grandma Jo@nn
    Love Always,
    Jo@nn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by GBronx
    Joyce!!! I have no idea what a Birmingham is... let alone how to paint it!!!

Your question just struck me so funny!!!
    It gave me the giggles!!

Grandma Jo@nn
    Okay, who is our resident lyrics finder? We need to find out just what a Birmingham is.

Paula
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

I have tried finding lyrics, but I couldn't.

I know Birmingham has a nice zoo....
    J.

Okay, I'm still on a mission. So far, no luck with lyrics. However, I did find some articles and a song clip -

Battle of the Birminghams

Paint

Song Clip

KEN MELLONS' "Paint Me a Birmingham" * gets good review from Bob Oermann. "Simply terrific. The song tugs at your hillbilly heart. Ken sings with extraordinary emotion and depth. The production is beautifully understated. And Vince Gill provides the tenor harmony. This minor masterpiece made my day. I got my copy from PLA Media. Get one for yourself," writes Oermann. (from http://www.kicks96.com/cms_display.shtml?756)

Paula
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Bringin' this one back to the top...

... obviously we have all heard this song now, and understand what it's about, but...

... has anyone heard the 'spoof' version... Bake Me A Honey Ham??? (It might be 'make', instead of 'bake', not sure.) I've heard PART of it, once, and it was pretty cute!!! If anyone has heard it and/or can come up with the lyrics, that would be very cool!

DeeDee

New Info

I almost forgot all about this...

I did get more information on 'Bake Me A Honey Ham'... it was written by Daryle Singletary and Rhett Akins... performed by Rhett during their Honky Tonk Tailgate Party tour, which includes Chad Brock & David Kersh, as well.

So, has anybody been to one of their shows and heard this song? What did you think? I've only heard a part of it, once, but it sounded like it was pretty cute... I would really like to hear it again sometime, just to see.

I still haven't been able to track down the lyrics... anyone know them?

+ Reply to Thread