+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retired or not?

Retired or not?

Do ya'll think that Garth will ever come back?

Yes, but he will be a much different musician and performer.

--spud--

I sure do. I think he will not be as hyper when he comes back and he will go and just care about the music once again. He wont have to sell out show after show. Its called growing. I think he needs us as much as we need him and may take him awhile to realize it, but when he does he will be back. Just different. But Ill take him any way I can get him!!

Yes, I think he will come back, but he just needs time to be with his family and friends.. but yeah, I'm hoping he will
    "You know a dream's like a river, everchanging as it flows, a dreamer's just a vessel, that must follow where it goes.."

Yes I think he'll be back. Those girls of his have to be getting sick of him by now.......NOT!!
    -Susan-

Come back? As what? A rhinocerous?

If Garth isn't back within the next few years, I don't think he'll be back...just my thoughts...

I'm still undecided as to how I think it will play out... My feeling is that we have to take him at his word..HE describes himself as retired, so retired he is, until he says he is coming out of retirement...
    What I find interesting is that anyone I talk to who is not an actively involved Garth fan does not believe this retirement is permanent..either they see it as an attention getting announcement,so that when he comes "out" of retirement it will be that much more newsworthy, (those are the cynics)... or they rationalize it as a phase he's going through so he can focus on other aspects of his life... neither camp believes he can stay out of the game for long, and they all point to the fact that his love of performing will ultimately bring him back...
    I can't quite make the distinction in my own mind whether I truly believe he will come out of retirement, or if the wish for him to makes me believe he will...
    I try to remember that friends don't try to impose their will on others so even though I'd love to see him back in the musical spotlight, that's coming from a selfish place...My stronger wish is for his happiness and peace of mind...if that means he's out of the music business for good, then more power to him for walking away and following his heart...
    If and when he comes out of retirement, it will be because he is ready to, because he has something he wants to say through the music...I guess only time will tell, but for now, since he describes himself as retired, that's what he is...Will he be back? Maybe Joyce Jillson or Miss Cleo are better able to answer that than any of us! LOL...

If he comes back I'll be tickled pink but I do hate to speculate what he'll do, because noone knows but Garth. If he chooses not to come back though, all the best to him, he gave me so many great memories and music that will last me a lifetime

allison.

Retired Or Not

When you adopt an art as yours, you cannot turn it off. Garth is an artist, and retirement doesn't change that. He stepped out of the limelight, and deserves our support in his life choice. Retirement is purely professional, and affects his whatever it's called, but he is who he is. I think it's like hibernation. When something hibernates, they are M.I.A. until conditions are better. If conditions never improved, hibernation never ends. Improvement is normally expected, but if hibernation continues, death will come. Critters build up stuff for hibernation, intending a break, not a cease. Garth gave us all his gift, and like a bear in winter, he will come back when it's time, if he can. In a similiar way as a hibernating bear needs stuff to come out of hibernation successfully, Garth needs our support to come out of retirement. I think Garth means bear, don't it? Or a language for bear is like his name. I am an artist, and speak knowledgeably: You can't turn off your art. It doesn't wait for welcome, or invitation. I will wait as long as it takes. Karyn
    Karyn Hughes
    khakidoodle@attbi.com

I believe he will come back to us all! After all didnt he say in his 'tryin' to rope the world' special that he wanted to come back?

god and peace,
    Vanessa

Well I can't decide what I think either, LOL. Part of me has always thought - he can't stay away! But then I talk to people who've seen him or work with him and they all say the same thing - he loves his life now and is happy being a dad.

What I would absolutely hate Hate HATE (Garth - are ya listening?) is for him to ever be at a point where he'd want to come back, be ready to come back, and think he can't because all the naysayers about his retirement would say "I told ya so."

God gave us a mind, and one of the most frequent things we do with it is change it!
    J.

You know, Joyce, I'm afraid that's exactly what's going to happen. I ran into a friend who works in the Yankee's organization. He was at the TFK event in Las Vegas. He was talking to Garth and asked him why there hadn't been any press about the event. Garth's reply was that he didn't want the press there as he was so sick of seeing his name with 'retired in their sarcastic little quotes' either before or after it. Bill said Garth is really disgusted with the press in general, and tabloids specifically. He's really sick of them putting his face in the cover and them trashing him inside or rehashing stuff over and over again. He said he wasn't giving interviews for a reason, but they (the press) just aren't catching on. He also told Bill he doesn't miss the music industry and doesn't think he'll ever play music again.

Bill did say he looked much thinner than last year's meeting and he seemed extremely happy now.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Well that definately explains the lack of press coverage on the event! Thanks for that insight. Can't say I blame him one bit, although it seems like the tabloids win by him giving them that much power. They'll continue to write those stories, with or without access to him, but in the meantime it hurts TFK and their endeavors by not gaining publicity through country radio and websites, where the fans are looking for it. Maybe he really does want everyone to just leave him alone and find someone else to support?

Well, all I can say is... my heart has now been officially broken.

Krystal in Odessa

Originally posted by BLL
    Bill said Garth is really disgusted with the press in general, and tabloids specifically. He's really sick of them putting his face in the cover and them trashing him inside or rehashing stuff over and over again. He said he wasn't giving interviews for a reason, but they (the press) just aren't catching on. He also told Bill he doesn't miss the music industry and doesn't think he'll ever play music again.
    I don't think Garth ever liked the industry at all. He's always been in it for the MUSIC! He's fought battles on the business end of things for as long as I can remember. And I can't blame him for feeling the way he does about the press these days. They haven't been too nice since the divorce and retirement, or even since Chris Gaines. I don't believe he'll never play music again though. I think someday, he'll be back. It won't be what we've been used to, but he will play music again.

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Not mine! Garth left me more than enough to more than tide me over with all the music I love. Bring on the rain!!!

I would welcome Garthís return only if I knew he wanted it, and was not giving in to outer pressure. We all miss him, and he would be welcomed back, but if he still felt external pressures, he would be unhappy. His return would be short-lived if his personal issues pressured his professional life, or viceversa. Should Garth come back (not saying ďwhenĒ!) he will know that his career will not hurt his life, and I have heard that external pressure to return might lessen the chance of his return. Garth would be welcomed with open arms if he chooses to return. He has a whole Ďnother family, and families are forever. Garth, no pressure! And FuzzWuzz, you're sorta right! The music Garth left us is great, and will keep us, but, enough? Enough seems say we want no more.
    Karyn Hughes
    khakidoodle@attbi.com

Hereís my comments: I can totally understand him not missing the music industry. I mean, the man must have been walking around with a tube of KY Jelly on a constant basis. Yes, I too am very happy with the gifts that Garth has given me and also very happy that Garth is now devoting his time to his children. For so long, he gave so much to his fans. He was incomparable when it came to that; you canít deny that. But what breaks my heart is the possibility of him disappearing. On numerous occasions, I have heard Garth speak of his worst fear: being forgotten. My worst fear is that heíll lose that fear. That he wonít care about being forgotten and heíll disappear. I donít think thatís selfish of me to fear that. Thereís only a handful of people that have had as much of an impact on my life as Garth has. They are my parents and my daughter. Garth is like family to me. If I thought that I wouldnít ever hear from my parents or my family again, I would be devastated. I understand him being upset with the press, but Joyce is right:
    They'll continue to write those stories, with or without access to him, but in the meantime it hurts TFK and their endeavors by not gaining publicity through country radio and websites, where the fans are looking for it.
    The press is one of our avenues to Garth. If we lose the press we lose one of our avenues. So, it makes me wonder who is the one who loses here? The press, Garth, TFK, or the fans? The only way around this that I can see is for all of us to ban together and make a pact that we refuse to buy their crap. Donít give them one cent of your money (unless itís a really GOOD picture) . Letís all write letters to them and tell them what we think of their crap. Will it work? I donít knowÖ but itís worth a try. Donít ya think? I mean, we are the ones who are getting the s*it end of the stick. And thatís what breaks my heart. Not the whole retirement thing. I've always respected that decision. I'm not asking for more music; I'm not asking for Garth to change the world (although he seems to be doing a pretty good job already, at least in my world). All I'm asking is for him to drop us a line every once in a while. Let us know how he's doing and what he's been up to. Because we're family and we care that much about each other.

Garths Retirement

I understand why Garth wouldn't want to come out of retirement. I have heard many cynical individuals put him down without even knowing as much as one song of his. Those that do know his music, make fun of his part as Chris Gaines. So, he isnt allowed to try something new just like the rest of us?
    Anyway, unfortunately for my own selfish reasons, I hope and pray that he comes back out for one more tour, and that I can attend a concert. I fell in love with country music in 1998, with Garth being the one who triggered that love. Because of my late interest, Ive never been to any of his concerts. The closest thing I have is the movie of his Live in Central Park, which I treasure dearly. Just one more time is all I hope. Garth has helped me become the person I am today, although he will never know it. One of my dreams, that may be out of reach is to see him in concert. No matter what he does his happiness is the only thing that is truly important to me, as well as many of his fans.
    ~Jan

Of course I will always want more from Garth. But I think the whole Chris Gaines thing was designed to help us get even MORE out of what we already have.

I think he is just taking some time off to spend with family, he will be back and i hope he is as wild and crazy as he used to be.

--Matt

Chris Gaines

I agree, CG was a method of showing/seeing/perceiving another side of Garth, but does that take away from Garth Brooks? He is still an artist, by any name, and Garth stepping away helps nothing. My words are not excreting smoothly , but, do you follow me?
    Karyn Hughes
    khakidoodle@attbi.com

Sure, why not. We'll just follow the signs to Paradise.

I have no clue if he'll come back or not but if he does come out of retirement I would hope he comes back blazing on his own terms. I think the corporate nashville machine chewed him up for all they thought he was worth and then spit him out. I followed Garth musically for years and then it just seemed like his heart wasn't in the songs and I couldn't bear to listen anymore. I wish him peace, love, and happiness in whatever he chooses to do.

A quote I ran across just today touched me with regards to this topic... it was:
    A note of music gains significance from the silence on either side. ~Anne Morrow Lindbergh
    There was music before Garth, but in a way it was silence to me. Garth brought music alive for me in new ways. Now that he's not releasing new music or publically performing... there is the silence again. But it's NOT an empty silence. I still hear music and it still has meaning for me but it's been changed by my experience with Garth.

Garth's music is more significant for the silence on either side of it.

Will the silence be temporary... or simply a long pause in an ongoing symphony? Who knows. Temporary or permanent it is still significant and speaks loudly about the artist.

Certainly I long for the music to again begin... just as at the end of a classical piece of music that last note sounds and you wish it would go on and on. We must wait to find out for sure... but also cherish the silence as much as the music. There is a message in the silence. Can we hear it?

OK....... have I totally lost my mind or do I make any sense at all?
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

It's the Sounds of Silence Deb! Say, did anyone catch the Simon and Garfunkel reunion on the Grammy's? I taped it while at work. How was it?

Originally posted by Snow
    OK....... have I totally lost my mind or do I make any sense at all? [/B]
    Yeah, Snow, makes perfect sense to me. To me, Garth's silence speaks volumes. Is stardom or whatever-it's-called as important as real life? I know, it's not, but we're Garth's family in another way. Not even close to the same, I know. Know what? I'm gonna shut up now on Garth's retirement, as I feel we all should. We will all miss him, but the man is a, oh, I was gonna shut up!
    Karyn Hughes
    khakidoodle@attbi.com

Gosh darn it.... no I didn't. I'd have loved to have seen that. Let us know from the tape Dale... or anyone that saw it.

We didn't turn it on until the last 15 minutes or so. I can't believe Nora Jones (?) won against all those she was up against. She has a nice and pretty little song... catchy... but I'm not sure it's all that.

@ Karyn , I understand ya too!

I guess I was just feeling way too philosophical and all. Today they buried a friend of mine from high school. Ironically he was a musician as well. A wonderful pianist who had played everywhere in the US from locally to Broadway and even in Munich, Salzburg and Vienna. He had recently been so happy to be directing and teaching at the University where I graduated.

Chip really did live for music and music lived in him. It's sad to know that this is his last silence.

Garth's not dead. He's just "retired". For some people retirement is permanent... for others it's just a stop along the way. It seems kind of silly to agonize over it and second guess what might happen I suppose.

Longing and anticipation are very important parts of music though. They are the emotions that live in the silences.

+ Reply to Thread