+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ~Did You Ever Get So Involved...

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.

~Did You Ever Get So Involved...

Just had to share this...

Last week I was singing the song "Belleau Wood" ...
    I could feel those cold snowflakes falling all around me...
    and I imagined myself out there in that 'battlefield'
    where Garth takes us with his words...

I imagined singing 'Silent Night' and what the song is about
    hit me warmly in the heart... and I imagined laying in a
    frozen trench shivering with a weapon someone else put in my hand...
    then I hear another voice joining me in song on Christmas Eve
    singing the same as Silent Night but in a different language...
    German...like the song mentions...
    and I just had to see that soldier... even if I had to die
    standing up for what I believed in...

So, I stand up and see the other soldier is looking at me
    waving! Then I see her... It's Maddy! (Because she's from
    Germany)
    We realize how much we have in common by singing that song
    together... and what it means to us...

Then something terrible happens... that moment of heaven is
    ruined when the orders go out to fight to kill...
    So hell breaks loose again... and I realize... Heaven is found
    in loving one another and hell is found by hating each other
    so much that we could hurt each other.

Then the line "Heaven's not beyond the clouds it's just beyond the fear" hit home with me...
    and I run to Maddy and we hug! Throw our weapons down!
    And accept heaven as our gift by walking away from the battle...
    and facing the fear of our fellow comrades because of our choice.
    Only in my vision... I saw all of us throwing our weapons down
    and accepting Peace instead of war.

What a song to get lost in...

Thanks for listening...
    Have you ever been moved by a song that much?

Hugs to all,
    Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

"The River" - because it's a powerful and intense song, and it makes me realize that I can make my dreams come true.. someday.. hope that makes sense.
    "You know a dream's like a river, everchanging as it flows, a dreamer's just a vessel, that must follow where it goes.."

Wow!!!

I really got a shower, Diane!!! So this time you made me getting lost in that song!

Well, actually I could never be a soldier. I couldn´t kill somebody. So I´d much more love it to sing this right to you while coming into your arms:

"Stille Nacht! Heil'ge Nacht!
    Alles schläft; einsam wacht
    Nur das traute hoch heilige Paar.
    Holder Knab' im lockigten Haar,
    Schlafe in himmlischer Ruh!
    Schlafe in himmlischer Ruh!"

Maddy
    Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
    Our lives are better left to chance
    I could have missed the pain
    But I'd of had to miss the dance
    I'll never reach my destination
    If I never try
    We shall be free
    Where your road leads I will follow!

Diane- that surely is a very deep insight to oneof Garth's most poinent (sp??) songs to date, imo.

For me I'd have to pick probably.. TMYFML. It took me a lot of listening to that song to realize that it was written as a song of passion 'tween two lovers.. but it's moreso of a song from God to us.. which IMO is even cooler! Because if you listen to the lyrics then they can maybe help you understgand the deep, gracious love that He has and alaways will have you as His Child. I think that this song also talks about they way that He did die for you in order for you to feel His love.. very

I hope that this made some sense..

Belleau Wood has always been so much apart of my heart. I think I lose myself in it everytime I've heard it.

I've been spared living in a war... though I've lost loved ones to them. When I hear Belleau Wood I think of my uncle that I never met because he died fighting in WWII just weeks before it was over. He's still buried there... a poor farm boy from South Carolina. It hardly ever snows here in SC and I wonder what it was like for him slogging through that terrible last Christmas of the war.... cold... tired... and seeing death that he'd never witnessed before.... probably even causing some of it himself. From what my mother told me of him, he was a gentle soul. He was nice to everyone. A simple man with a big heart and he loved his mother. She cried when he went off to war and he promised that he'd always take care of her. He did... through his pension. If he had lived through it, I fear what the scars of war would have done to him.

So now when I hear Belleau Wood I think now of him sleeping under the Christmas snows of Europe. A soft blanket of peace covering him and I hope the blanket remains.

I hope we never have another war like that one... I wish we never had another war period. I know there are somethings that are worth dying for..... but I just wish we'd learn to solve them before war is the only answer.
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

WOW Diane!

Thank you for posting this. I was very moved by it. I'd have to say "Wolves" does it for me. It is my prayer to God everyday.

Krystal in Odessa

Another thing . . .

When I saw him perform "Belleau Wood" on the VH1 Storyteller thing, it was absolutely amazing. You can't help but feel how much the song means to him. Isn't it the last song on which CD?

Krystal in Odessa

I was surprised no one commented on it when I shared it in another post that Brian Vaughan, who Garth selected as the part of the young Chris Gaines, also plays the part of this soldier in Belleau Wood in a movie. I haven't seen it but I think it's a cartoon and he does the voice of the soldier who "acts" out the story through letters he writes to his love so far away. I wonder what's in those letters?

Diane, what a great story! That is one of Garth's most powerful songs, isn't it? I'd still love for him to record "The Strangest Dream" too. I think of them as being so similar in what they say. What a wonderful vision of peace throughout the whole world!

Dale, that's so cool about Brian. I had no idea! Sounds like he and Garth have some things in common. No wonder Garth picked him.

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

This was made only recently Lisa.

I've played on Xmas eve almost every year since I started college. Ever year we do Silent Night they turn all the lights off and the only light is from the white xmas lights and candles....and they do it in German and English, and I play a solo in between the languages. Ever since that song came out I see this particular piece in a whole new way.

one day I was walking down the street here on a lunch break and this guy handed me a little religious pamphlet. Inside was the very story that Garth spoke of when he talked about Bellau Wood. The wierd thing is I've never seen that guy since then. But I am glad I got one

I'm gonna have to take out South Padre and put in Sevens now LOL

Shelley

"Only in Amercia, Dreamin' in Red, White and Blue!!!"
    Well...
    Almost all of Garth's songs do that to me, but the one I can really think of now is...When There's No One Around...I can totally relate to what he sings in it. I can also totally see Garth doing that stuff. It just makes me smile and want to dance. Whenever I hear that song...I have to sing it, no matter what!! The part that really gets me is....
    "It's four in the morning
    I'm lyin' in bed
    A tape of my failures
    Playin' inside my head
    It's heartache and hard knocks
    And things I don't know
    I listen and I wonder
    Where will it go"

I can honestly say that I have definetly been in that EXACT position...and it helps to hear that someone else has felt the same way in at a point in their life!!! IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY THAT IT'S GARTH!!!
    "Let's Roll!!!" Todd Beamer 9/11 Victim

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    Maddy,

You made the song more real to me then you can imagine by posting the words in your language for Silent Night!
    You bring me to tears!

{{{{{{{Maddy}}}}}}}

Thank you!

Krystal...
    it's the last song on the album Seven's

Thanks for sharing everyone...

hugs,
    Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

Here's the info at wwwIMDB.com that describes the film Brian Vaughan does the voice of Belleau Wood soldier, John. Looks like it was done around the same time as the Chris Gaines project. Strange but I haven't found any mention of Brian's involvement on Garth's tv specials on that site, even though we know he was.

Plot Summary for
    Letter from the Western Front, A (1999)

In Belleau Wood, France, during the Great War, a soldier named John writes a letter home to his wife Sara in Milwaukee. He writes that her picture "helps me remember what it was like to be me." He tells her about sorties into No Man's Land, and that they have orders tonight to charge. Then, his letter becomes a report of that charge: toward an armed German soldier who doesn't fire, even when John reaches him and jumps into the trench beside him. What happens next brings silence and an end to the letter.

Summary written by {jhailey@hotmail.com}

this is very interesting dale! Thanks for pointing this out

Vanessa

Let it snow!!

+ Reply to Thread