+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garth mentions in The Nashville Family album

Garth mentions in The Nashville Family album

Maybe some of you have heard of Nashville's beloved photographer, Alan L. Mayor. Maybe some of you haven't, like me, before I got a hold of this book. Let me tell you, the guy has a way of making you feel so much a part of his family in country music too, with his photos sparking old memories that he shares of these people who have obviously become a big part of his life that he was even asked to photograph Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's surprise wedding AFTER he arrived by invite but totally unawares.

With Garth having the whole chapter 7 devoted exclusively to him, which I haven't read yet, and doing the honors of the introduction to Alan's book, it was nice to see Garth get many mentions in the chapter before his own, called Welcome to the Business. Maybe you all can tell me if you heard that Garth was someway connected to these people before or some of these stories, such as Allen Reynold's involvement in The Thunder Rolls?? I promise not to drag this on. Just highlight some "new" stuff. I already shared the story about Garth's respect for the people who manufacture and distribute his music through the EMI Production plant in Jacksonville, Ill. (That's at Diane's other artists Patsy Cline thread). And Garth's intro to Alan's book is very short and sweet, and right to the point that he really loves and respects the guy.

Alan says Allen Reynolds first came to Nashville as a songwriter at the encouragement of legendary producer Jack Clement. And it mentions some of the producing Alan did before Garth, such as with Don Williams and Kathy Mattea, bringing out the best in those artists. And with his work with Garth pushing the 100 million mark, Allen never thought possible. But Allan says that's Allen's gifted talent, to UNDERSTAND the dreams and possibilities that the artist brings to the studio.
    Working with Garth has been a challenge because his ideas continue to expand. Allen has listened to literally thousands of songs for each album, and together they've honed them down enough to fit. Allen has always accepted the challenges that Garth has offered, and come out smiling. To make the original cut of "The Thunder Rolls," Allen listened to many samples of real thunder and combined four to make the final recording. When they have cut the live tracks for the videos and the live albums, he has been challenged with crowd sounds that were almost impossible to overcome. Still, Allen chose to overcome them rather than quit.
    I think Allan is right-on about Allen Reynolds being the right guy who always understood what Garth already knew he wanted to do and helping him expand on that with vision. Can anybody quick mention your own Allen Reynolds story you've heard?

I was hoping some would share the stories they remember about Allen Reynold's influence on Garth before I post more connections to others in the industry. It's not like there's a long list or anything. Just a few things. There's probably ALOT of good stuff in Garth's full chapter but I gotta know if it's worth the effort sharing from this book if no one will even talk about Garth with me. Isn't that why we are here?

Let me know if I should continue. For now, I think I'll turn in. G' nite!

Continue!

Share every detail with us!

I have no stories about Allen Reynolds to share but IŽll listen.

Huggs!

Maddy
    Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
    Our lives are better left to chance
    I could have missed the pain
    But I'd of had to miss the dance
    I'll never reach my destination
    If I never try
    We shall be free
    Where your road leads I will follow!

I don't think there's probably a lot of Allen Reynolds stories out there to be shared... producers are really sort of in the background, they don't make the press much. The only thing I can really ever remember hearing about him is how many songs he'd listened to for Scarecrow, and I can't remember the number to quote it.
    J.

I want to know, I have nothing to offer, but I am very interested.
    Please go on....thanks
    jrile

Ok then. Thanks. I'll be back later when I'm refreshed. The one thing I'm thinking though is, didn't Garth recently attend a function that honored Allen and Garth was surprised at Allen's vast background with his own music? And didn't Allen perform at that event?

Sorry I'm "late" to my own thread.

Did any of you know this?:

"Allen Reynolds, who worked with Crystal Gayle in the 1970's and Kathy Mattea in the 1980's, was later sought out by a young kid from Oklahoma who wanted Allen to produce his first record. Nearly 100 million albums later, Garth Brooks still depends on Mr. Reynolds to make his country albums. Garth Fundis, who later produced albums by Keith Whitley, Trisha Yearwood and Lee Roy Parnell, engineered on many of those early projects."

What lost me was, how could Mr. Fundis be later producing Keith Whitley if Keith had died the same year Garth Brooks was introduced to the world? Did Garth engineer that album for Garth?

There is also mention of Garth's many co-writers,(Kent Blazey, Kim Williams, Pat Alger, Victiria Shaw, Sandy Mahl, and Mark D. Sanders.) Mark("Victim of the Game") also wrote Garth's duet with Chris LeDoux, "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy." Mark went on to write many hit songs for other country artists and secured MCA Music a 1997 Publisher of the Year award, as well as an ASCAP Songwriter of the year award. Lonestar's "No News" getting Song of the Year.

It's so cool to me to see the success of these people's careers which seems to have some head start because of Garth. All the music is blessed from how they helped him with his.

More later on The Musicians. And Garth himself, according to Allan.

It's so cool to me to see the success of these people's careers which seems to have some head start because of Garth. All the music is blessed from how they helped him with his.
    It's like George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life" only put Garth's life in there instead. How many people can you think of that had their lives touched by him? So many!

That could be an interesting thread. Name the people, where they were before Garth, and after.

~Ann~

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    Dale,

Very interesting subject!
    It's great to learn things about Garth and those that have been close to him, like Mr. Reynolds.

And the mention of 'Garth Fundis' is very interesting also...
    I've always been curious about that fellow.
    Your barking up the right trees...
    Please keep sharing what you learn?!

It's like George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life" only put Garth's life in there instead. How many people can you think of that had their lives touched by him? So many!
    Ann,

LOL!
    I could picture Garth playing George... He's changed my life that's for sure! Did you see the TV special at Christmas time a few years back when Garth hosted the movie "It's A Wonderful Life"?
    I have it recorded somewhere... Garth told a lot about the story during the commercial air-time. I think he'd be honored you compared him to George Bailey (A character in a movie)!!!!
    He's a character himself!

-Diane
    ~~~~~~~
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

I started reading chapter seven which is so good I almost wanna skip the rest of this thread and start another. But, it's late. And I'm tired. I'm gonna be back soon to finish up here first, because I think it's good we remember the names and people who seem very connected to Garth's career. In watching the Wal-Mart video tonight, he emphasized how many of those people on stage with him have been there since the 80's even. And he said it's God and US who help make his and their DREAM come true.

"I have a dream", the black man says. Hmm. Sometimes I think, in Garth's mind, there's one dream(not dreams) that finally gets us all on the same page. I guess, in order that "We Shall Be Free", it must be the only option. I'll be back tomorrow to finish up chapter six. And trust me. You guys are gonna LOVE some of the goodies in chapter seven!! I'll highlight some of it. But you really need to get Alan's book. As I read the whole thing there's this real sense of feeling connected to the country music family in the worse way. It makes me CRAVE the closeness these people obviously are already living because of the music that makes their friendships more like real family. Garth's own involvement on the song, In the Shade of the Family Tree, would have also been a good companion to this book as it was Chicken Soup for the Country Soul.

+ Reply to Thread