+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An album dedicated to Garth!

An album dedicated to Garth!

Ann posted a quote from this story on another thread, but the link didn't work, and it's such a cool story, I thought it should get posted in a thread of it's own. Thanks Ann for finding it for us!

This is written by a couple of bluegrass musicians, who recorded an album called Emily's Angel.

The story behind Emily's Angel
    Our daughter, Emily, has an incurable brain tumor. In the late fall of 1998, Emily was experiencing brutal headaches and severe light-sensitivity. With the shades pulled down and her head bundled up with ice packs, she spent a lot of time listening to country music on WKLB. Emily had long felt especially connected to Garth Brooks. She dreamed about him often. One night at bedtime she told her mother that she was sure she would get to meet him someday. We didn't see much chance of that.

But five days later Emily was granted her wish: a trip to New York City to meet Garth backstage before he was to appear on The View. The hoped-for chat turned into a three-day stay, as Garth invited Emily and Valerie to stay on at his expense in New York City and attend the Christmas tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. It was the final week of his three-year tour.

He put them up in a fine hotel, bought them clothes for the stay, and let them hang out with his family and Trisha Yearwood. Garth walked around backstage and made sure all the lights were dimmed. He talked to Emily and stroked her head. "Always believe," he said during their last meeting. "You have to always believe. If you don't understand that, then you've never truly heard a single Garth song." Then he gave her his tour guitar.

When they got home, Emily had brain surgery. Two months later, Valerie wrote "Emily's Angel," and Emily wrote, "One Special Day." Emily is 15 now. She and her mother still think about the trip every day.

This album is dedicated to Garth Brooks, Emily's angel.

Very Joyce! This story deserves it's own thread.

Here are the lyrics to the song Emily wrote for Garth.

ONE SPECIAL DAY
    ©2000 Emily Crockett

From Valerie & Walter Crockett's Emily's Angel on the Big Bark label.

I always knew he was the best, I felt connected to him.
    This was long before we met, but I already knew him.
    Many nights he filled my dreams,
    Sometimes I'd wake up laughing.
    I knew that if I believed, anything could happen.

CHORUS:
    One special day my dreams came true.
    That was when I really knew, he was better than I expected.
    Now I know what the best is.
    I loved him a whole lot before,
    Now I love him even more.
    He brought my heart up from under.
    I felt the roll of thunder.
    Now I don't have to wonder anymore.

The window of opportunity was sitting wide open.
    He was spending time with me just as I'd been hoping.
    He never seemed to be in a rush, though he had a lot to do,
    And I knew by his gentle touch kindness was all he knew.

REPEAT CHORUS

When I thought it was time to leave he invited me to stay.
    My goal had already been achieved but I stayed for two more days.
    Every day he spent more time with me than he had the day before.
    Anyone could plainly see I couldn't ask for more.

REPEAT CHORUS

~Ann~

EMILY'S ANGEL
    ©2000 Valerie Crockett
    From Valerie & Walter Crockett's Emily's Angel on the Big Bark label.

The limo comes at 8 o’clock in the drizzly morning rain
    And Emily makes it to the car with her wheelchair and her pain
    Off to New York City to meet her favorite country star
    A child’s wish is granted, but her headaches make it hard
    She’ll take on extra pain, so she won’t miss the dance
    With her angel in a cowboy hat
    And a guitar in his hands

CHORUS:
    Oh he believes in believing
    And she believes in the man
    Her mama sees he’s her angel
    Emily’s angel in a cowboy hat with a guitar in his hands

His silver buckle flashes first, and then his infinite charms
    He gives her lots of time, he gives a kiss on her head,
    He gives a bear hug in his arms
    His wings of kindness wrap them up, a mama and her little girl
    Three days in a row feeding the faith
    Anything can happen in this world
    And when it’s time to say goodbye,
    He wants her to remember this dance
    So her angel in a cowboy hat gives her the guitar in his hands.

BRIDGE:
    And her mama starts to cry,
    Because she knows how much I means
    To her Emily, who turns his love into strength to live, and dream

REPEAT CHORUS

Always believe...
    Always believe...
    He says, "OK Sweetheart, it's time to say goodbye now."
    "Now you take this guitar home with you, so you don't forget me now, you hear?"
    "And the one thing I want you to remember every time you think of me is always believe. Always, always believe."
    And he gives her the sweetest hug.
    "Now you take care of yourself. I love you very, very much."
    "Goodbye darling."

REPEAT CHORUS

~Ann~

Joyce & Ann,

Thanks so much for that information! Garth NEVER ceases to amaze me. What a wonderful man he is, and he truly is an Angel! He has enriched our lives immensely.

Sue
    Don't you know, Nobody drinks alone, Every demon, every ghost from your past and, every memory you've held back follows you home, Nobody drinks alone.

What an angel!!!

Ohhhh, I believe there are angels among us
    Sent down to us from some where up above
    They come to you and me in our darkest hours
    To show us how to live,
    To teach us how to give

To guide us with a light of love.

You really touched me with this story! Thank you a billion times for sharing it!

It´s such a wonderful feeling to know an angel like Garth!!! Ain´t we all blessed?!

He´s such a light brighten up our days and remains us on the things that really count every day.

May God bless him each and every day of his hopefully long life. May it be filled with love and happiness!

Maddy <-leaving moved by this amazing angel!!!
    Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
    Our lives are better left to chance
    I could have missed the pain
    But I'd of had to miss the dance
    I'll never reach my destination
    If I never try
    We shall be free
    Where your road leads I will follow!

Thank you Joyce ~ Thank you Ann!

I had read Emily's story before, but, somehow it had slipped my mind. I guess my rememberer is broken, LOL Thanks you two for bringing this back to the Forums and putting a smile on my face and a warm glow in my heart!

Gawd ya just gotta love that guy!

Huggs,
    Mary Liz
    Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding? That is my idea of a perfect day!!!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Joyce and Ann...

You put a big *grin* on my face and a warm smile in my heart.

I agree, Sue - he NEVER ceases to amaze me...

Is this album available now?

Kerry (a diehard Believer)
    "I think I'll miss you most of all" Dorothy to the Scarecrow, The Wizard of Oz,

I found a site for the Crocketts where you can buy the cd.

Try going to http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crockett1

I think I might get it. I remember when the story about Emily was posted before and was thinking of getting it then, but it just slipped my mind.
    It's a very touching story. Emily, her parents and of course Garth are all very special people.

Seira

Ann,Joyce, and Seira ~ Thanks so much for posting. I had never heard Emily's story, or seen those song lyrics. Needless to say I am in tears. ..Such a moving story, and wonderful song lyrics. Thanks again!

CC *grabbing loads of Puffs*

I remember this very well, since Emily is from Massachusetts and WKLB is our station in Boston. Her aunt actually posted here at PG...I want to say her name was Nancy, but I'm not sure. I seem to remember that she shared the story here and then we heard about it in the media after that.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

I remeber hearing this before too. Such an great story. Garth just has such a huge heart. You can't help but love him for it!

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

I'm playing the songs from the cd Unbutton Your Heart first. How lovely!

Amazing how Garth backs up his telling Emily to believe along with his actions in being there for her. What faith she already had to believe she would see Garth and that she knew his heart was so true.

Tell me, the whole world could stand to read or hear this story about Garth and Emily? It might just make a Believer out of the hardest heart.

Lisa, How true...You just can't help but love Garth! Its things like this I wish everyone would take into consideration when they start to bash him here on the boards and elsewhere.

Originally posted by Garthfan92
    I remeber hearing this before too. Such an great story. Garth just has such a huge heart. You can't help but love him for it!

Lisa
    Fuzz>>>>Tell me, the whole world could stand to read or hear this story about Garth and Emily? It might just make a Believer out of the hardest heart. <<<<

Fuzz, Some hearts are so hard you can't break them. But if more were made aware of the story its possible their judgment of Garth would be much less severe. Garth is a true humanitarian and its time people woke up to this fact. He's a wonderful man!

Sue
    Don't you know, Nobody drinks alone, Every demon, every ghost from your past and, every memory you've held back follows you home, Nobody drinks alone.

Sue, I want to believe no heart is ever too hard that God can't crack it with a little love and kindness such is Garth's. Then maybe we ourselves won't be judged, ya know? I don't know, but maybe while the world wakes up to Garth it also wakes up to each other? Twould be nice!!!

I was doing a little searching and found some links to additional accounts of Emily's story, one of which is right here at PG. A couple of them include the picture of Garth and Emily.

PG News Article

Brain Trust Newsletter

Worcester Telegram (check out link at bottom)

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

I know what you mean Fuzz, but I've seen people go to their grave with a hard heart. Yeah I believe our Glorious Creator can break even the hardest heart....but as we are the clay and He is the Potter, we need to be "workable."

And yes I agree it would be nice for us to wake up to one another!
    Sue

Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
    Sue, I want to believe no heart is ever too hard that God can't crack it with a little love and kindness such is Garth's. Then maybe we ourselves won't be judged, ya know? I don't know, but maybe while the world wakes up to Garth it also wakes up to each other? Twould be nice!!!

Thank you sooo very much for the links, Paula!

I read it all. What an amazing story!!! What a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

It´s not just "Emily´s Angel". Emily is an Angel herself!

Thanks for sharing it!

Can´t wait to listen to the album!!!

Huggs!

Maddy
    If I never try
    We shall be free

I think I remember a story like this posted a while back..thanks so much Joyce fro bringing it back to life!

I really enoyed reading those lyrics.. they sure are special!

We're proud of you Emily! *hugs*

Vanessa

Thanks Sue. It reminds me how the more we allow God's hand to mold and reshape us, the more useful purpose we are to Him when so pliable in His hands.

in a bown of alphabet soup, you ry and put the letters together
    you guys remember garht saying "everything hapens fora reason" well yea i belive that

funni last night i went to bed, or tried to i have a lot of trouble sleeping! i had had a hard day. betwean getting yelled at for gaging myself, because of turrets yesterda, to people saying i have no right to be upset about the way people treat me, and a bunch of outher crap that hapens, i realy needed this tonight!

when i woke up this morning i was actuly wondering if you could take anough talenol pm'sto not wake up at all. I know to some of you taht sounds unfathemable. and I know a lot of you think i'm this guy who post off the wall stuff and must be in a decent mood most the time, not realy.

you know it's realy hard when you live your life trying to be normal, and people condem you fot that. but then they condem you for pointing out that your not!! I try and tell thenm it relay hearts when they tell me how to deal with having disabilitys, and yet they dont have them. THey dont think i shuld take offence when they tell me how to act in situations, even situations they know nothing about!

in the original posting sombody quoted garth as saying "keep beliving" well yea, i'm trying. When my mother died she wanted a song played, and it was "keep bliving" pops into my head every now and then!! I just dont know what to do anymore! I mean i'm sick and tyerd ov fealing like i dont matter, or that my life is petty! I"m sick and tyerd of people telling me that i dont know what my life is like, or that it's not that hard!

it realy makes feal good when people say, "so what if you have a deseas wehre you cant controll your own body, I went out and got pregnent at age 16 and it was harder than what you go through!"

or my favirite, "dont do that" yea, they know i cant help it but hey that doesn't matter! and if i tell them it heard well I am the one with the problum right?

oh well, may i shuld ask everyone in my famaly what I am supost to feal?? maby they can tell me what its like to have to deal with the problums i do!
    oh well, theres always tomorow! funny most people would think that's a good thing!
    Just some timeless ramblings frome an insain poet

Wow cntrypoet, you actually gagged yourself because of Turrettes syndrome? I can only begin to imagin your pain. I wish I had some magical bandaid for you, but all I can offer you is my friendship. I am glad you're here and sharing yourself with us. I agree with you, this is a very good thread.
    Terry Lynn

Oh my, I forgot to include the most important thing....(see I'm not so perfect myself)
    (((((cntrypoet)))))
    Terry Lynn

That was very nice.

Hang in there Dean. I won't give up on you. So don't you, ok? And don't give up on us either. I won't.

I was watching the Songwriters Celebration yesterday. Garth's friend(last name Chapman?) came out to sing her song about Emily and there was hardly a dry eye in the house, especially Garth. Does her song have anything to do with this Emily? I'll have to watch this cool video again. So much emotion in over an hour! Plus Gordon Kennedy and Wayne Kirkpatrick were lurking around and on camera outside had suggested Garth helped them complete a foursome when there was only three of them, and I was scratching my head wondering what the heck they were talking about? Oh well. Who knows? Maybe it was something eralier we didn't get to see? Or the Gaines project?

Dale- he helped them have a golf foursome-and golf isn't really his game; he plays in work boots!
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Dean, I'm sorry to hear about what you've had to deal with. Some people just don't think when it comes to people being different from themselves. Wheather it's a disability or something else, they're just too small minded to look past those differences. People that small minded just aren't worth your time or energy though. If only they could learn from Garth! He's kind and patient with everyone he meets. I can only go by stories I've heard about Make A Wish kids and things, but he seems to look past someone's disability or illness so easily. I think no matter who it is he meets, he's immediately looking for the person INSIDE and really listening to what they have to say. If only more people could be like that! Just remember when things get tough, that people who can't accept others for who they are are the ones missing out. They're shutting out people who may otherwise have become great friends to them and teach them a lot. You never know if you don't give someone a chance.

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

I haven´t been at our lovely Planet the last few days.

My first post is for you, Dean:

{{{{{{{DEAN}}}}}}}

Sorry to hear about that. I don´t know, how it all feels, what you´re going through, but I can imagine it.
    I know what the Turret-Syndrom (sp.?) is. People told about it. It´s like with everything we don´t know. We don´t try to find out, what´s going on. It´s not "normal" and we have problems with it. But what is normal?!
    It´s sooo easy to listen and learn. I can imagine, how tired you are by arguing and arguing and arguing... But you know what? The most important thing is, that your family and friends understand it. They do. It´s not worth it to ruin your day. I know it´s not easy, but if you´re down remain the great thing you have in life.

Look around here. You´re not alone and you have friends here. Never forget this! And listen to Garth:

ALWAYS BELIEVE!!!

He´s a real clever guy and I´m sure he tries to live it, too.

And like you said yourself: There´s always tommorow!

Keep believing, Dean! You´ll see it´s worth it! You´ll see!!!

Hey Dale! How funny that you mentioned the Songwriter´s show. I re-watched it yesterday and I could do it EVERY DAY. And about "Emily". I told you about this great, great song. Did you fall in love with it now, too? Ain´t it a "blowing-you-away" damn great song????
    And you know what? I asked myself, too, if it remained Garth on Emily. How funny!
    BTW. It´s Beth Nielsen Chapman. She´s such a wonderful, great lady. After all she went through (Loosing the love of her life and than she got breast cancer and even survived this!) still being so full of love & life. She´s amazing. I have some of her albums. She´s sooo talented and true-hearted.

And "Emily" is one of her greatest songs.

My oh my, time sure flies
    I like what you've done to your hair
    I've been fine, yeah, these boys are mine
    That must be your little girl there
    Some friendships grow distant with time
    And it's no wonder, Emily, so much can change
    We're too far to visit, too busy to write
    But a closeness between us remains

Best friends are made through smiles and tears
    And sometimes that fades over miles and years
    But I knew right away when I saw you again
    Emily, we'll always be friends

I still sing now and then
    Mostly at weddings for friends
    And I just bet you still get
    A yearning to paint now and then
    They tore down our whole street
    Now there's a bank where the house was we shared back in school
    Remember we both have each other to thank
    For all the boyfriends we're not married to

"Stay as you are and you'll go far"
    You signed my yearbook
    "Don't forget me when you're a big star"

We can't stay, it's getting late
    And they said not to let you get tired
    We'll just be up the street
    The number's right here by your side
    Oh no it's no trouble
    I don't want to hear about how all this changes my plans
    I'll see you tomorrow
    Call me tonight, Emmy, please let me do what I can

I hope you all here have such a friend like Emily is!

If I never try
    We shall be free

Thanks for that Maddy. I know I do! And this Beth lady. Is she the same one who sings that song I absolutely love on the Message in a Bottle soundtrack about how "I will know your voice. I will know your love"?

That Songwriters Celebration put Garth in a setting that I want to be more associated with. A place where you get really under the skin of these songs through the actual songwriters getting under each others in the same room. It's drawing me to the music like a powerful magnet. I do not believe you have to be a songwriter to understand the song better or as good as they do. In fact, sometimes I think it'd be great being the actual inspiration like Emily was for Beth.

I was thinking again today about Chris Gaines "success". Remember what Garth said created Chris, the artist? The music. What's neat is, the songwriters who helped create Chris are also the ones performing those songs while Garth as Chris gives them a voice and a pretty face? Garth had said about his own songwriters, like Kent Blazy and Tony Arata, that they write the great songs and he just gives them a face. Why is one face of Garth "real", and the other "fictional then", if they both were created by the music?

Another thoughtful comment from my dear friend Dale!

Well, I am a little informed about Beth, because I love her music and Beth being herself. She´s a real great woman and a gift with her music and her heart.

Her official homepage is: http://www.bethnielsenchapman.net

There you´ll find an answer of all of your questions.

Yes! She wrote and sang a song for this movie.

I Will Know Your Love

Shone from this
    Star to guide me
    Sung through my
    Silent heart
    Like a tender kiss
    So deep inside me....
    Ten thousand nights of darkness
    In the ether underneath this garden
    You are my heart’s calling....

One star in a million
    One voice in a thousand
    I will know your love
    I will know your love

I’ve sailed on this ocean
    So long alone
    But I will know your love
    I will know your love

I’ll know....your voice
    I’ll know....your touch
    I know............this much
    I know I’ll know your love

One chance that’ll come by
    One dance in your arms
    And I will know your love
    I will know your love

Instrumental

The tender kiss
    Deep from the soul
    For only this
    The heart unfolds

One star in a million
    I’ve got a feeling
    I will know your love
    I will know your love
    I will know your love

I know, what you mean about Garth at the Songwriter´s Show. I love to hear him sing like this. I started listening to "The hungry years". I LOVE THIS "ALBUM"!!! I wish I could be somewhere in a pub sitting there seeing and listening Garth´s singing. Nobody knows him. He´s just a boy with a guitar. Like those days about 1986. People would love him.
    I´ll send you an e-mail and tell you a bit more. (How he inspires me.)

Garth was sooo nervous there. With you and me and all his true believers around he wouldn´t have been. He would have felt much more safed and comfortable. And no cameras. They make him unsure. I really think so.

This show was sooo wonderful. I´ll re-watch it again and again. Thank you to the great Garth-Angel who gave me this opportunity.
    I watch it with head phones and I´m there then. I think you, too.
    Great musicians, great souls!!!

You are so right. Music is a powerful magnet. It is my spirit of life. I need it to breath and Garth and some others (Garth leaded me to them!) made it even more important for me. They opened my heart & ears and touched & changed my soul.

Well, I think a songwriter feels a song and its lyrics in a very special way. They are the messengers, but that doesn´t mean, that they are the only one, who can feel a song. I told you, what they made with me and they do it with you, too. If you can feel music and the words you maybe also can write about it. Try it. If it´s your soul and you have the gift to touch people you even can write it down in a song. I´m sure, you could, Dale.

I´m sure you´re such a inspiration like Emily is for Beth. I told you something about what you are for me...

You are always so thoughtful! You and Chris belong together. You can´t breath without him and he needs you, too. It´s such a touching story for me. Tell me everything going through your mind and everything about you and Chris. You have my "number".
    Well, I am far away from being informed and involved in Chris like you are, but I learn every day by your stories. Thanks for sharing!
    I think Chris is in a lot of people - first of all Garth, than the songwriters, all the activ involved people (involved in his music, his story and his life), in those closed friends like you, in his fans & believers.
    There´s a saying: "It doesn´t count the years you live, but the lives you touch." And Chris is bigger and touched more lives than even Garth can imagine.

Why is one face of Garth "real", and the other "fictional then", if they both were created by the music?

Well, I think there ain´t that difference. Not for me. I don´t know if Garth really thinks so. I would doubt it.
    Well, Garth always speaks about the guy at stage or the performer he is as "HE" and he makes a difference between Garth the entertainer and Garth the family man. GB the entertainer is as much Garth the family man than Chris is. You know what I mean?
    But it all doesn´t confuse me, cause we all play a "role" in public. I do. Well, I´m true, but there are parts of myself I don´t share public. We all have to play a role out-there and hopefully we like what we see. I for myself can live with it.
    There ain´t that difference. It´s just, that Garth is known by more people, because he´s a famous celebraty. But he´s true even as the entertainer or as Chris. And that´s something you´ll see rarely in an entertainer/celeb.. Most of them hide away and finally loose a piece of themselves or themselves completely. Garth will never do. He always had a great family behind him. I´m sure, his mom was the biggest influence to keep him Garth. It´s a big lost every day, but her love and what she taught him will keep in his mind and heart forever.

Well, maybe Chris is more "fictional", because he´s made by more people. GB was made by himself first of all. Does it make sence for you? For me it does.
    If I never try
    We shall be free

'One dance in your arms and I'll know your love."

In fact, didn't Garth say Chris was a spreading of his arms? He obviously goes to places Garth can't reach on his own through song. And to think, I took a chance on Chris Gaines, and he turns out to be the one who was teaching me the steps to The Dance all along before I even knew there was a Garth!
    Last edited by fuzzwuzz; 06-11-2002 at 12:35 PM.

Why is one face of Garth "real", and the other "fictional then", if they both were created by the music?
    On an interview that Garth did with VH1, the day he released the video for "Lost In You," he said The Chris guy is a character, but the music is real. It comes straight from the heart.

So, I supose you could say that the "face" of the music is real, but the "face" of the performer can be masked. Once the music makes contact with the listener, what we see with our eyes changes once it reaches our soul. Then the mask comes off.

~Ann~

+ Reply to Thread