+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Believers, Inc.

The Believers, Inc.

Since when is a fan club also a corporation? I want in!!! Maybe someone can explain what I just read in an old Country Music magazine?

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In at least one case, Garth's runaway fan enthusiasm has created an unexpected problem. His lawyer has announced that the Garth Brooks Fan Club "has been disbanded due to Garth's inability to meet one-on-one with each of its members." Instead, The Believers, Inc., a Tennessee corporation, has been formed which "will soon be publishing a Garth Brooks fan magazine entitled The Believer."~ from the article Garth Power, Jan/Feb '92~
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. We know The Believer is no longer put out by The Believers, Inc., but could someone explain what the corporation is now doing? Surely it's active still in some way? And why bring a lawyer into it if it's a fan club? I don't get that! Please help!

Also, this article surrounds the frenzy Garth has caused as being the biggest power in music the world had probably ever had to contend with up to this time of the huge success of Ropin' the Wind and Garth's touring and TV specials and such. It begins by saying:
    quote:
    Garth Brook's rocket-like rise astonished the entire music business, not just Nashville. Garth Power is money power. The rest of Nashville hopes it'll rub off on them...(and it ends by declaring): Brooks has touched a power chord. And he's ready to share his rewards without flying too far from the nest where he started. Asked if his success meant he was leading country music to the pop marketplace, Brooks replied, "I don't think we're going anywhere. I think the crowds are coming over to country. Country music's in a great driving seat right now."
    The driver with the most power right now is Garth Brooks.

Those Nashville leaches!! Where did they come from!? All they care about is the money! What about the music? Who's gonna be in the driver's seat steering now? And what of this corporation for us, the fans? Surely it still exists in some form somewhere, if only in Garth's wildest dreams?

quote:
    Garth Brook's rocket-like rise astonished the entire music business, not just Nashville. Garth Power is money power. The rest of Nashville hopes it'll rub off on them...(and it ends by declaring): Brooks has touched a power chord. And he's ready to share his rewards without flying too far from the nest where he started. Asked if his success meant he was leading country music to the pop marketplace, Brooks replied, "I don't think we're going anywhere. I think the crowds are coming over to country. Country music's in a great driving seat right now."
    The driver with the most power right now is Garth Brooks.

This is the very thing that keeps me awake at night, Dale!

How quickly they forget! Garth was the man who brought the power to Nashville. He was the "hero" as long as they thought "Garth" was a product of them and they were the ones with the power. Once they realized that Garth was in complete control over his career and he wasn't going to march to their tune, they got scared. The power wasn't theirs at all. So they set out to take it away from Garth little by little. The one thing they didn't figure out but Garth knew was that "The People" were the real power, and Garth had us in his corner always!

They now blame Garth for the direction that country music has taken. Go figure!

It sort of reminds me of Chris Gaines. I can't wait until Chris exposes them for what they are!

~Ann~

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    Amen to that Ann!

It's not Garth's fault!

I think the 'fan' in the movie is going to consist of more than 'one' person! Sometimes getting at the 'Truth' of things takes a little time....but when the movie comes out and the truth is revealed about everything... I think people will be singing a different song!

Dale,

The 'believers' inc. still exists...the magazine and office doesn't.
    I guess Garth will do what he'll do with it in the future, whatever that may be!

-Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

Yeah, I'm sure Garth scared the pants off the suits. I'm sure they were thinking.... "Sure he sells a lot... but what if all the artists get the idea that they have some say in the music that they put out?! They might actually come up with some original, quality material! We can't have them doing risky stuff like that! They might figure out that we're not all that important anyway." *lol*

Geewhiz... can you imagine what we might be hearing out of Nashville if this happened? Exciting huh? Poor suits... Garth must have given them all grey hair. *giggles*
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    ROFLOL Deb!

Good, they'd deserve grey hair from Garth!

Garth worked hard touring for his! At least he wouldn't be greedy if he shared some of that 'grey hair pie' with them... they didn't mind the money, I'm sure.

-Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

Man! I'm so glad I'm not the only one "losing sleep" over this issue of Garth and the People vs. suits?(what's the word for these people? Unbelievers? Liars? Skinflints? I hate to label other human beings in such terms though. Maybe it's something more, like a huge river of greed for money and power? Strangely, I just thought of Garth's bluegrass song "Don't Cross the River". And how these people have run off with MY hard-earned money spent on the music I LOVE and Garth recorded for us, the People! And these same people would have me believe it's Garth who's money and power crazy. Too late! I'm now a Believer through and through for the music and it's fan. I thank Chris Gaines for that, who they obviously don't believe in because they don't believe in the fan, what Garth has described as a product of the music, both Chris AND his fan. Well, I was a nobody until Chris Gaines showed me differently. Good move Garth. It's paying off I think.

Ahhhh... here's the post I typed out a long response to last night and then it disappeared.

I do want to say though, that before everyone goes labeling every resident of Music Row a greedy Nashville leech, let me just tell you I had a great conversation with Mark Chesnutt today. He is very excited about his new album (in stores 5/21) He told me he had complete control over the album, that his label - Sony Columbia - never once told him what songs to cut, not cut, what was too country, too much fiddle, or any other thing. It is a 100% pure, Mark Chesnutt record.

And how these people have run off with MY hard-earned money spent on the music I LOVE and Garth recorded for us, the People!
    "These people" are the reason Garth's music is on the Walmart shelves. It doesn't get there by itself, and a record doesn't get made for free. Lots of amazing talented people put together records each and every day, but because they don't have the clout, the marketing, the retail resources, of a major record label, we never hear it. The music industry is a business, and Garth will be the first person to tell you that. Yes it's about the music, but if no one hears the music you make, the message doesn't get out.
    J.

Joyce, that all makes sense and I'm glad to hear other artists are following in Garth's footsteps and taking care of the music nicely then and now. However, Garth has hinted there is more to the story, and I for one am tired of the money made being the issue and focus ahead of the music. If indeed the whole music business is headed in a better direction, then I am happy, but I somehow seriously doubt it from all the fighting and bickering between artists, labels, and heads of labels and so forth. I have a hard time believing the people who hounded Garth as he rose in power were all doing it because they were his friend. I remember Garth saying only very recently he wants to be surrounded by family in the music industry. Was it there at all or did he lose it along the way? I also remember him saying in a radio interview he had surrounded himself with good people and he'd be shocked if any of them turned bad. Do you think that changed, or the business changed? "And it pays Big Money. Yeah, we're all into that, cause big money's where it's at", that tells me nothing has really changed.

I'm glad for Mark. We need people like him bringing us good music. And people like you Joyce helping to bridge the gap. You do that very nicely. You don't leave us behind in the trenches.
    Well, in a way, I'm bridging a gap too. I may be just a fan, but it doesn't have to remain just a "just." Garth sees more in us than that. And I see things I don't like because they are wrong and I'm not gonna be quiet about them just because I don't know what goes down in secret. But God does.

And I'm really sorry I messed you up with that other thread. I had hoped I deleted it quickly enough. Thanks for coming over here instead.

By the way, could you explain to me why a lawyer was involved with a fan club and why make it a corporation?
    Last edited by fuzzwuzz; 05-08-2002 at 03:41 AM.

Dale I think it was because the fan club had grown so big! I imagine it was much bigger than the official fan clubs of other stars. Making it a corporation and getting legal advice would have offered more safety for the fan club members. Any time you have people paying money to join something that huge, it's probably best to have a lawyer look over how it's structured and works. It was so big that it had to have employees and then there was publishing of the magazine and all. It really became a business, even if it was a non-profit business.

Joyce... I want to say that I'm sorry that I painted the whole industry with such a broad brush. I know that's not true and I shouldn't have generalized. It is true though that at many of the large labels, that they can be very controlling of the artist... at least in the past. More than one artist has talked about it. I know they are doing it to make the artist more commerically viable... I'm just afraid that sometimes they can washout what might be good and unique about the artist... unless the artist is a really strong person.... and lets face it... I think Garth was a trial for them at times. *hehehe*
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

You're right about that Snow! Garth sure is strong. Because he believes in his music. I think I always believed in the music too, but never knew there were others like me until Garth spelled it out to me through Chris Gaines. And then drew it out of me for the further good of the music.
    It was so big that it had to have employees and then there was publishing of the magazine and all. It really became a business, even if it was a non-profit business.
    You know that makes sense except for one thing; Garth doesn't like the business side messing with his music, so why would he bring us into it in that way? And was there ever really a fan club before a lawyer was brought in? I mean, it just seems so impersonal when Garth would prefer the one-on-one thing over it being like a business. Why would he scrap his fan club or his Believer magazine if not because the business got out of hand allowing him to do that? That's my feelings. But I'm willing to bet The Believers, Inc. is somehow still in existance, even if we are members by default. Or because we bought and paid for Garth's music. I don't know. I guess what I'm saying is, Garth always had us in mind as being a full part of his team as Garth Brooks.

And another thing. Didn't Garth have actual fans publishing The Believer magazine? Where are they? Anybody here at PG? What have they said about it?

one-on-one

You know what I remembered today? That when the fans saw Garth and they asked him if he used the internet he said something like "Oh yeah, you mean that one-on-one thing?" But he never really disclosed whether he did or not. Do you think he considers what we do right here, one-on-one with each other, as The Believers, Inc. doing together, what he couldn't give us only exclusively on his own though he so wanted to?

"Oh yeah, you mean that one-on-one thing?"
    I remember him saying that!

Do you think he considers what we do right here, one-on-one with each other, as The Believers, Inc. doing together, what he couldn't give us only exclusively on his own though he so wanted to?
    Well, his music has gathered a group of fans and believers together that have established friendships and a closeness like I've never seen happen before among a musicians fans.
    Although we love Garth...we love each other also...
    Isn't that what the music encourages us to do?

-Diane

You know what Diane? Not only does it encourage us to love, but I think it also gives us a means to do it where we just can't without it. Because, when I really stop to think about it, my best at loving others just ain't good enough. We need something more to get us ALL THE WAY there. Enter THE MUSIC! And along with it? Believers!!

Reminds me of a song from John Lodge of the Moody Blues, that talks about swallowing all your pride and then goes, "this time we're Saved by the Music, saved by the love that you bring". Now I see even more why that song stayed with me all these years. Bring it on! No wonder I can't get enough!

David Kersh - Lost and Found

I read a sad article today in the current Country Weekly that has a happy ending with a promising future, but shows the brutal knocks you gotta take in the music business to even get there. This makes me appreciate even more what artists are willing to do for us and their music. If they won't, who will?

I don't know David's music but he has my support as soon as this writer said he "came out swinging with "Goodnight Sweetheart'." But look what happened. The business took it's toll and he fizzled right out to the point he couldn't even sing.
    "I got off the road in Oct. of '99 and felt like I had run myself into the ground...at first the problems were physical. I was having a hard time singing onstage. I was listening to recordings of my shows and hearing the problems I had trying to sing 'Goodnight Sweetheart.'...my confidence spiraled down quickly...when I lost what I defined myself with, suddenly it was like, "who am I really?".
    In late 1999, David went home to Texas to find out. "I was born and raised in the Baptist church..when I got on the road, I didn't step foot in church because I was working all the time. While I was on the road I found myself doing things that weren't me. So getting back into church and being around family was important...I worried about the fans forgetting who I am."
    I'm gonna pause there. Do you see that? While he was trying to find himself after somehow getting "lost" in the music, he worried about US forgetting who he is through that music too! He thought he was leading us the wrong way with him, and he didn't want to lose his "other" family like he was Driftin' Away from his.

I'll share the rest of the "ugly truth" later. But David exposes and faces it in his own life and thereby comes back to us through his music a whole new person. You wanna make a bet he takes his fans on that same ride with him?
    Last edited by fuzzwuzz; 05-11-2002 at 04:51 AM.

"from now on, I'm gonna be true to myself"

Ok. Here's what I mean about how the music business seems to work against what the music is for in the first place. Reading of David's struggles makes me realize he sure could have used some help from his fans but I would imagine the labels would cringe if that ever happened. But eventually they did find out despite the pressure heaped on David to put up pretenses. Because the music began to suffer under the pressure
    The worries were worth the truths that David discovered. "More than anything, I learned that you have to be honest with yourself and with every person in your life..this business lends itself to lying. The artist always has has to be the good guy. You're never allowed to have a bad day. I didn't like the person I became. I lied because I was chicken to tell the truth in certain personal relationships - whether it was with a female or if ut was a business relationship...If I hated a song but my record label or my producer said, 'Oh man, that's a great song,' I lied to myself and said, 'ok. I'll do it.' In shows I would get talked out of doing certain songs. When I was on the road with Reba and Brooks & Dunn and Terri Clark, I had a rock medley that I loved doing, because rock is part of my background. The crowd loved it too, but band members and management people would mess with me. They'd say jokingly, 'we've got to hear "Sweet Home Alabama" one more time? So I got talked out of doing it - and lied to myself and said, 'It'll be fne.'"

But the lies are over for David, who recently returned to the studio to work on a new album.

"This record will be different from my first two because it's going to have a little more punch to it," he says smiling. "I've got seven songs that I'm real happy with so far - and I definitely want some of my co-written songs on my record too. From now on, I'm goig to be true to myself."

David hopes to release the new music by summer. He's thankful that after his prolonged absense from the spotlight, his fans are still there.

"I hear that they continue to request my stuff on the radio..and that's a wonderful thing. Fans are awesome."

He's also thankful to have finally found who he really is.

"Defining your whole self as 'the artist' is a big mistake," he says in hindsight. "I'm living proof." ~ Wendy Newcomer
    Thanks Miss Newcomer. That's some good reporting to us there!

Did you all see what David is saying? That he believes in his fans and now himself again too. But the lies that go with the business almost destroyed everything he was working for with his music. He found out it's ok to be himself. In fact, it's all he will ever be, maybe like Garth said all he'll ever be is 'Garth Brooks'. Why do I think Michael Jackson could stand spending more time around these two?

Anyway, I also noticed Sara Evans(such a beautiful woman. I love this lady) is recording and says in the same issue of Country Weekly that she also has seven songs she is happy with(four of which she wrote), and she too seems to be going back to her roots in who she is through the music. "The album has a really unique flair to it. It's funky, with a lot of bluegrass elements, which is definitely what I came from. I'm reaching even further into who I really am as a songwriter and artist." I wonder if the trend toward bluegrass is because many of us are feeling pulled to finding more to believe in ourselves. Something deeper like David thought he lost.

All's I know is, my friend Josh became a Believer in the music right before my very eyes at work, and he actually predicted he'd have seven songs that would launch him in the right direction, though he's not caught up to Sara and David as an artist. But he sure does seem to be right with the program from the very start!

Maybe there is more to this Believers, Inc. than meets the eyes of the fan just yet? We can only watch the signs like Garth has taught us by his example as a Believer himself. I know I am! Because "now I'm a Believer" too!

Dale,

The reasons I 'believe' in Garth are too numerous to mention...but the main reason isn't just about the music...it's about the way he handled himself with the people.

He never became so 'PROUD' that he felt 'BETTER' than anyone else...
    He even sings about that in the song "Uptown Downhome Good Ol' Boy".

"And he never did get too proud
    To hang out with the same old crowd,
    we're proud to say."
    We all know that 'PRIDE GOES BEFORE THE FALL' and Garth goes out of his way for his fans and believers to give them what they want...he always did and I believe he always will.
    Being true to yourself is important... just like Garth is true to himself.

-Diane

Diane, I know you are right about that. I've gained so many Friends in Low Places since I learned to chill and just let my hair down among everyday people like me. Each day is a Great Adventure to me now, because I'm more accessible to the people around me, and they come through for me. I find myself following Garth's example by thanking my customers for taking care of me. They are the best! Like family at times! I truly love them. I thank Garth for showing me this, both through example and his music. There's something about Garth that truly does make you believe in yourself when it seems no one else will. The simple message of "Be who you are, Be yourself, (drink Dr. Pepper)" is truly the real starting place of getting to know yourself, whether alone or in a crowd.

Heck, there I go again. Someday I will learn to make my point short and sweet like Garth. But it's just me, and I'm still learning like everybody else.

+ Reply to Thread