+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how did you learn about garth?

how did you learn about garth?

i dont know if this has been done before but i am curious as to how everyone started listening to garth or how garth came into your life... back in may of 1994 my wife and my marriage was falling apart at the seems and we both knew that something had to happen in order for us to stay together..so one night at a get together at a friends house there was some music in the background and it sounded really cool cuz it was saying<BR>"tell someone that you love just what youre thinking of" ..IT HIT LIKE A TON OF BRICKS..that was exactly what we needed ..so we proceeded to buy one cd then another and another and became completely hooked !!!N

Hi Minasota Fan,<P>Yes I agree his lyrics are what jump out and grab you.<BR>I saw him on a PBS channel one Sunday, in about 1995. It was just on in the background with no one watching, and then this amazing concert came on, the guy flew around the stadium, and then during a song about a thunderstorm, it rained inside the stadium.<P>The rest they say, is history.<BR>He remains the only person I have ever been a fan of, but now it's gone way beyond that.<P>I am a woman possessed! :) SmittenN

Springsteen got me into Garth :)<P>BrianN

I learned of Garth at a bible study camp I attended in the summer of 1993. During one of our sessions they showed us a video of Magic Johnson that highlighted his career. At the time I didn't know the title but they played "the dance" during the highlights(Mind you, I hated country music at this point of my life), and it captured my attention. I knew it was Garth from people in the room talking about the song but I didn't know the title (and was too shy to ask). Well, the week I got back home a Barbara Walters special aired, I found out the title, bought the CD, and I have been a fan ever since!N

I've told this story before but here goes again.<BR>I also hated country music but accidentally turned on a country station last October when The Dance was playing. I was immediately hooked and now own every CD and have lots of videos. Can't imagine how I missed him all these years.<P>ElaineN
    Oh Lord, keep me from bein'
    The one the wolves pull down

This story is a repeat also. My son was in college in 1991 and came home with a tape he had made. It had "FILP" on it and I loved that song. Then I heard "The Dance" and have been OBSESSED ever since. I grew up with Elvis and The Beatles and was not a fan of either of them. Garth's music just touches my soul. I do not know how else to describe it. N

It was 1989 when I first heard Garth. I was just a kid and only listened to Hard Rock. I bought the album and the rest is history. I even said it was for my mother. I kept telling everybody "This guy is going to be huge."N

i caught the video for "The Change"(they did not show the full video) at the end of the show "Entertainment Tonight" and found out what the name of the song was, the artist, found the album......been a HUGE fan ever since! :D<P>aRiN
    Today...at this moment...it's a good day. . .

-

' I've conquered my past
    The future is here at last
    I stand at the entrance
    To a new world I can see
    The ruins to the right of me
    Will soon have lost sight of me '
    --U2

-

It was a Friday night, a group of friends and I went to the movies, and the only two choices were Titanic 2 or the Lamb, so we saw this movie about a Chris Gaines guy, after buying the soundtrack, I was totally hooked on Chris, his album Triangle is his best yet, with 'Driftin Away' & 'That's the way I remember it'. Anyways, it's a great movie, keeps you on the edge of your seat :)<BR>LOL :)<BR>When ever I heard 'the Thunder Rolls' and 'Unawnsered Prayer'. :) Back in 90-91....<P>dwayneN

I heard "That Summer" back in 1993 and have been in love ever since. It's funny, I remember watching the '93 Super Bowl because my son was a couple of months old, but I didn't know who Garth was so I didn't pay attention to the National Anthem. I kick myself now wishing I had. N
    "If I only had a brain"

In the UK, praying there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
    Funny - I was asked only a few days back what got me interested in Chris Gaines in the first place (since Chris drew me in to Garth it makes sense to tell the story that way!). This has already been posted on H&V but for those who've already seen it, please forgive me for boring you again!<P>--------<BR>What attracted me to Chris Gaines? I guess I was pulled in by the mystery, to re-use an old phrase. I was idly watching TV one <BR>Saturday afternoon whilst pottering about with baskets of laundry, and thinking about getting ready to go out that evening. BBC2 (one of our terrestrial channels) shows a music programme called Top of the Pops 2, that reruns old studio performances from Top of the Pops (the main British TV chart show - everyone who's anyone has played live on <BR>TOTP at some point, even Garth!), plus one or two videos showcasing interesting new music or new singles from established artists. Steve Wright, the DJ who puts the programme together, has a penchant for <BR>American music, and often showcases a new single by a country artist, though it's only rarely that an artist is showcased more than once - I think Shania has been showcased once, the Mavericks several times, Reba McIntyre once, Garth once prior to this (To Make You Feel My Love) - often the showcased songs won't reach the mainstream charts, <BR>but if the video is strong enough they'll get a play at the end of the programme. Anyway - I digress a little!<P>So there I am, paying a little attention to old performances by Duran Duran and the like, when the end of the programme approaches, and the screen changes to show a door opening into a blueish room, in the <BR>middle of which is a man seated on the floor. I'm quite intrigued by this, and by the music in the background - I don't hear the voiceover introducing the song, but see a banner at the bottom of the screen telling me that the song is called 'Lost in You', and the artist is Chris Gaines. At this point I have to leave the room for a few <BR>seconds to adjust the wash cycle, and on return I stay transfixed in front of the TV until the video finishes and the credits roll.<P>Resolving to keep the name in mind, I listen to the radio on and off over the next few weeks, and manage to catch LIY on Steve Wrights Radio 2 show on a couple of occasions - both times, he only announces <BR>the artist as Chris Gaines. I can't find any information about this artist in the music press, am desperate to get hold of the single, and a couple of weeks later curiosity gets the better of me and I <BR>type in 'Chris Gaines' as a search term on Infoseek - the official site is the first on the results list. The rest, I suppose, is <BR>history!<P>Truth is, I was shocked to discover that Chris was Garth - I have *never* considered myself a fan of country music (my father used to play the awful old twangy stuff in the car, leading me to want to push my head through the window and scream to be rescued even when we were doing 80 mph on the motorway!). On the day I made the discovery <BR>I wandered round in something of a daze, and told some of my colleagues who'd also been keeping an ear out for Chris on the radio <BR>about the website. Not one of them believed it - and some still don't despite the evidence. But despite this, I was still passionate about the music I'd heard, wanted to hear more - although nothing was <BR>available in this country, searching borders.com soon turned up the Chris Gaines album, which I ordered immediately, and in the meantime, on a weekend to Paris I spent half a day searching the Champs-Elysees <BR>for an American import of the single, which I found (yay) and played to death in the days before the album landed on my mat. At the time I had no intention of exploring Garth's country output, but of course <BR>things didn't work out like that...<P>I suppose the postscript to the story is that I was tempted to explore Garth's country material, tentatively purchased No Fences - and then went absolutely, ecstatically, irrevocably insane about the man!<P>--------<BR>So that's my tale at least!<P>Angela x<BR> <BR>N
    Gyrrwch yn ofalus

Cool story Angela.N

Yes, I agree Lowell, very cool story Angela.<BR> :)<P>Brian,<BR>I didn't know about the Springsteen thing, how did that all connect? I saw Springsteen about 2 years ago here, at a small acoustic concert he did. He sang, just him and his guitar and told stories. It was great. He is a very good story teller, loves the New Mexico area and his Harleys.<BR>Cheers :)N

I fell in love with his multiple personality Chris Gaines.N

Oh boy am i gonna get slammed for that one.N

LOL head over heals for garth :)<BR>Now your getting the idea!<P>Now that you are hooked on Chris, do yourself a favour and listen to the real man, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I was never a real fan of anyones, especially not Country music.<P>Get a video of one of his concerts - It will blow you away! Don't knock it until you have researched the topic well.<P>Ana :)N

I did hear some of his stuff already, I heard Friends In Low Places and The Dance, I didn't really care for either of them that much. I'm more into Weezer, Blink 182 (older stuff), Green Day, Vandals, Dave Matthews Band, Lit, Fenix TX and that kind of stuff. Not that you really care, just thought I would say so you didn't think I was one of these people that only listen to N Sync and that crap. I hear Garth is a good concert performer, but since I'm not into the music I'm not going to waste money that I am saving for a bass guitar on that stuff. N

<B>Ana</B><P>Yeah Springsteens Ghost Of Tom Joad tour was marvellous :D :D :D<P>He held a concert here in DK for only 2000 people, and me and my bro was lucky enough to get tics :D :D :D :D :D :D :D<P>Infact Palle was standing in line, and only 4 people out of the line got tics :D<P>I was walking around a "fleamarket" in 1992 when I decided to look at some vinyls :)<BR>I fell over an album with a cowboy on it in a funny shirt, so I picked it up.<BR>Then I turned it around and immediately saw "THE RIVER"!!!!!!!!!<P>So I thought "WOW A new Soringsteen cover!!! WOOOHOOO I gotta have that abum"<BR>So I bought "Ropin' The Wind" :)<P>I was soooooooo disappointed when I cam home and discovered that it wasn't a cover of Springsteen song :o :o :o<P>I simply stocked the album away for about 6 months before I decided to give it a try :o<P>Then I was hooked :D :D<P>But still, no song in the world is better than Springsteen's <B>The River</B> :D :D :D<P>BrianN

Cool story Brian :)<P>He certainly is a great performer, he comes back here regularly, and luckily my husband knows alot of roadies so we get great tickets. Cheers :)N

I just wanted to say I enjoyed your story about how you learned about Garth. :)N

Well that was real cool. I forgot to put that I meant I enjoyed Brian's story about learning about Garth. Sometimes the brain does not function as it should. What can I say!!!!!!! :(N

<B>ANA!!!!!!!</B><P>You might check out this page <A HREF="http://www.greasylake.org" TARGET=_blank>www.greasylake.org</A> <P>It's rumoured that he and the E Street Band is going to tour Asia and Australia when they are done with the US tour :D :D :D :D<P>It's only rumours, but so far every rumour has become reality :)<P>BrianN

Thanks Teach :D<P>BrianN

I was in the dark about Garth till Chris Gaines shone some more light on him. Man, who'd known what I'd been missing if it wasn't for Chris!? I think Garth is able to accomplish more than he ever could without him. We shall see more great things from Chris, of that I am sure.N

Brian,<P>Sorry I missed this post the other day :o<P>Very interesting..........it would be great to have him back here.<P>I think he has some friends in the vicinity, cause he usually takes off on his Harley in between concerts.<P>I'll hold my breath :)N

My first Garth experience was standing in a queue at a music store to buy R.E.M.s new album at the time , funny part is I can't even remember what album I set out to buy ! The store was Playing Garth, this was back in 1992 , needless to say , by the time I got to the counter I no longer had R.E.M. s album in my hand , instead I had No Fences and self titled in my hot little hands , and the rest as we say ... Is history , I have been fanatical ever since !N

+ Reply to Thread