+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warren G and Garth refused to fight over 'G'/Garth is OURS

Warren G and Garth refused to fight over 'G'/Garth is OURS

rockonthenet has an up to date timeline on Garth and I saw this listed (3/98)
    Warren G and Garth reached an agreement over the use of the letter "G" which was the subject of lawsuits between the 2 performers since October, '97. Brooks issued a statement which included: "I learned from Warren G that the letter 'G' has a special significance to him and to some members of (his) community in that it symbolizes kids and young people who are worthy of respect because of their positive contributions to the world. Now knowing how much the symbol 'G' means to Warren, I will strive to reach the standard that 'G' represents to him and to his community." The 2 also issued a joint statement which stated that since they both shared the same goals, "...there was no point to fight about a positive symbol."
    This was the result of action taken by Warren G in the previous October
    Over 139,000 tickets were sold for 8 Garth Brooks shows in Chicago. The ticket sales, which only took 4 hours to sell, broke a sales record previously held by Genesis. Also during the month rapper Warren G filed a lawsuit against Garth over the use of the letter 'G'. The suit contends Brooks and his company Blue Rose, Inc., and Home Box Office, Inc. infringed on Warren G's trademark of 'G' on such ventures as Brook's Central Park concert and tour, and merchandise materials on his web site. Warren G claims that the letter is trademarked as the logo for his production company, G Funk. The suit is asking for an injunction that would stop Brooks from using the trademark as well as compensatory and punitive damages.
    That's cool how quick they worked that out to a happy conclusion. And working together for the same good cause.
    But in the middle of this (Jan.)was another lawsuit against Garth.
    Garth found himself in court defending himself in a plagiarism lawsuit for his song "Standing Outside The Fire" on the In Pieces LP. Guy Thomas, the plaintiff, accused Brooks of plagiarizing his song "Conviction Of The Heart" (which was recorded by Kenny Loggins in 1993). The following day, word came down that the court case was settled between the 2 parties with an unspecified settlement.
    I know my beloved Justin Hayward just recently recorded a song with Kenny for possible inclusion on Kenny's coming album.
    But what I think I liked the best was the Garth quote heading his timeline.
    "When the people are through with you and your stuff, then you go on. But until they are though, you're theirs... and I love being theirs." - Garth Brooks
    Last edited by fuzzwuzz; 01-30-2002 at 02:48 PM.

Fuzz: I especially like that last quote. Another Garthism! Thanks.

Stephanie

I really love that last quote. I love the fact that he's ours

Amy Jo
    "Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price" --Lane Frost--
    "Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price" --Lane Frost--

I forgot to share the link to the cool timeline page! http://www.rockonthenet.com/artists-...rooks_main.htm I kinda like how at the top it lists "Lost in You" as Garth's biggest pop single. Interesting to me is, Wal-mart radio still has the song in heavy rotation more than any other Garth tune that I have noticed.
    Last edited by fuzzwuzz; 01-30-2002 at 09:03 PM.

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    Dale,

I was at the concert in Evansville Indiana on May 1, 1998 when Garth first got the rights back to his song "Standing Outside The Fire"...
    and when he finally got to perform it live again in concert.

I remember he sorta teared up and choked back some words as he explained how important that song was to him and he was glad he could perform it live in concert for us again!
    I was happy and turned to my son..."he's going to play your favorite song! Standing outside the fire"!... I don't know who was more pleased...LOL Him or I?
    But Garth gave it everything he had and Stillwater pulled it off perfectly! A special moment for us all!

Bonnie do you remember? I know you were there...and Amber? I had you with me on that trip. I missed some of what Garth said about it...but the important thing is he got his song back...because during the time it was going through the courts he couldn't perform it during the world tour until the case was settled.

-Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

Garth has handled these situations with total class, and they worked out in the end. And, yes, we love Garth being "ours" as much as he does. Ok, probably more! Always loved that quote.

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Diane! I had to laugh! Up above on PG it says to click to play Smokey's Trail Blaze!! Yup. That's song's important to Garth's career alright. Can't blaze the trail without it!

Garth sure has been through the fire and back for the music. I hope the way he handles these lawsuits shows just the kind of fair player he is. I get very mad how the artists fight over the music as if it's theirs and not everybodies who happens to be blessed by it. Do they ever ask us fans how we feel about these issues? Do they really care? I know Garth does. He always does what's right. Some only do what's selfish or for the money. The music doesn't come first anymore. May we all return to our first love before the flames fully consume it.

I never quite understood how Warren G thought his fans would accidently buy a Garth CD......well anyway, it worked out I guess.

*shrug*

Shelley

+ Reply to Thread