+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do sales figures matter so much?

Why do sales figures matter so much?

I'm not the biggest Garth fan in the world...But I do own No Fences, the greatest hits album, and I recently won Scarecrow from MTV...so I thought I'd come check out what his hardcore fans were saying about the album..

..and it is really depressing. There's one fool on the message board declaring the album a massive failure after selling 1.4 million copies in the first month. Are you guys NUTS?

Sales in the music industry all the way around are down big time...After the fiasco known as Chris Gaines, you guys should be jumping in the streets after Garth is certified triple platinum right off the bat.

Do most of you guys realize that for an artists 9th studio album (plus a greatest hits album, live album, and christmas album) Garth is probably setting sales records? If you guys can name some bands or artists who have been certified triple platinum a month after a CD is released...please name them. I don't think you will find many.

In a day and time where bands come and go in the matter of months, you guys are placing wayyyyyyyyyy to high of expectations on sales for Garth's albums. The second single for Scarecrow hasn't even been released (unless you count Beer Run) and people say its a failure.

What a joke.

I agree. It is a very good,oops, extremely good album (Scarecrow).Not knowing sales in Australia is a problem,but i see it has reached #4 on the US music charts (if not higher). And what's wrong with Beer Run? I think it is a coooooooool song.

I agree

You said it. CD sales are down in all genres of music. I do NOT expect Garth to sell like he did 3 or 4 years ago. Triple platnium in a month is great. Garth still has it. This CD is in NO way a failure and it will continue to sell Im sure. The person that you refer to has a BIG problem with Garth because he is angry about Garth not coming thru on some promise to tour and I for one dont really consider him a fan of Garths because he rarely has a good word to say about him. Im sorry guys but it really bugs me when someone claims to be a fan and says nothing positive about Garth ever!!!

Sweet,

I am sorry I am not a SHEEP

I remember YOU talking about sales of 5 million copies of his "new" album months ago. That was what YOU were expecting like almost everyone else.
    The same with CG.

I NEVER expected Scarecrow to sell well because I don't really care about the sales.
    YOU expected that and prove it with your constant posting and referring to the numbers. Fooling yourself to say it's going okay eventhough we both know that you are disappointed.

About the tours. I can live with that, but before you blab more about it let me say that I remember YOU whining quite a few times about him never coming to Pittsburgh or whatever town you live in eventhough he has been VERY CLOSE MANY times.
    Atleast closer than to ANY place in Europe.

And if I didn’t like Garth I wouldn’t spend one single minute here on PG and I certainly wouldn’t buy any albums, promo’s singles and such of him.

So QUIT the bit*hing, dig a hole to hide in and accept that others may have a different opinion!!!!!!!

Brian

Y2ClintProblem and Brian right on I agree with you 101%

Why are some people so concern about Garth's cd sale-lets all enjoy his music and not worry if he is the best selling artist of all time! Life is too short to worry about things like that!

Btw Y2ClintProblem welcome to PG!

Nancy

Not that I think it will sell five million (wouldn't bet against it happening, though)...but Pilgrim...how the hell do you know it wont sell five million? You seem like you are hell bent on declaring the ablum the biggest massive absolute complete total failure of all time after a MONTH of being out...are you related to Miss Cleo or something?

It seems like I remember reading about one of Garth's albums not selling well at all in the first year, but now it has sold somewhere around seven million...is seven million a failure?

Clinty

Call it a sixth sense

So far it haven't let me down when it comes to Garth.

I am not saying it will never sell 5 million copies, but that was what people were expecting around here, more or less.
    Atleast they expected until a few months before the release that he would blow N'Sync out into orbit.

Brian

I am Expecting 7 million certification just like most of his albums at least. Fresh Horses is the only Country album that has not been certified 7 times platinum. I think people are waiting to hear a couple more hits from this album before they go out and buy it. At this point in time I don't care about sales that much either, as long as Garth stays the Number 1 selling solo artist of all time. Sure I would love to see this album or one of his be the biggest selling country album of all time again. I miss No Fences having that award. On the other hand I would love to see one of his album's be the biggest selling album period, in all music genre's. It is all right if none of them do because he is the Number one selling solo artist of all time, period. I would however love to see him beat the Beatles total tally someday because if you are in my shoes, Beatles are nothing compared To Garth. But still, sales don't matter anymore because Garth is the number one selling solo artist of all time.
    "If I Only Had A Brain!"-The Scarecrow From 'The Wizard Of Oz'.

"Dad, the Scarecrow thought with his heart."-Taylor Mayne Pearl Brooks, August Anna Brooks, Allie Colleen Brooks to their Dad.

"It's funny how, you know, in the Wizard of Oz, the whole tone of the book and everything, it's the sepiatone from the Scarecrow and what he stood for. It's funny how, in there, the one who didn't have a heart, loved the most. The one that didn't have courage seemed to be the bravest in the times that he needed to, so uh, the Scarecrow is why this was."-Garth Brooks

Sales figures DO NOT matter.. The music does.

--spud--

Spud you and I agree on this! WhoHoo!

Like I said before: who cares about the sales number and lets just enjoy the music!

Nancy

I'm with Nancy and Spud....Most of the bands I like don't sell millions. Music first.

You guys write long posts,phew......

Sales matter alot so his fans can be able to buy his products and
    it helps the artist for more touring..ect and more credit.

When he or she makes and album he has to have fans and without
    the fans buying his music he wouldn't be famous,and there wouldn't be no concerts that you go to.
    Last edited by countryLadywest; 12-25-2001 at 04:09 PM.

Garth doesn't worry about becoming famous. He had that cornered 10 years ago.

Garth isn't touring anymore, so that doesn't matter, either.

I guess that just leaves the music that matters.

--spud--

+ Reply to Thread