+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OK- It's spud's turn for LA review

OK- It's spud's turn for LA review

Where do I start?

* Arrived at the GWF at 5:30. We had gotten a ride from our hotel shuttle van. Very cool of them. Called "Country Dan" at Producer J's request. We spoke twice while I was outside the Forum. I basically told him of the energetic crowd outside and the grins on people's faces.

*At 6 PM, I still wasn't inside. The lines were long! I bet there were 2,000 people in front of me! A guy walking down the long lines announces he has tickets for sale. I ask him to show me the tickets so I could see where they are and if they are legitimate. He shows them to me and tells me they are $35.00 each. I see they are in section 13. Slightly better than my section 16 seats (which were behind stage). I buy them.

*Inside at 6:25. Thinking, "Show starts in five minutes? Damn- I gotta get going." Luckily, a security guy told me it would start at 7 PM.

* The concession areas around the perimeter of the GWF were VERY crowded. Long lines to get drinks and such. We still haven't reached our seats yet. I was in dire need of some bottled water.

* 6:40 PM- my GF announces she needs to use the restroom. Line at women's restroom? Probably 100 women in line! Why don't they have more restooms? I tell her I will wait at the restroom exit.

* 6:53 PM. I hear Garth from inside the arena telling the audience of what is about to happen.

* 7:00 PM. I hear music start and fans SCREAMING. Finally, she gets out of the restroom and we head for the arena.

* 7:03 PM. We FINALLY get to our seats towards the end of Calling Baton Rouge.

Show was everything you have already heard from others. Intense, fun and incredible. You could tell Garth and the band were a slight bit rusty, but all in all, the show was very much similar the world tour shows.

One thing I did notice was that Garth did not do alot of running around on the stage.

After the show, I called one of the two Portland country stations and told the DJ that I was calling from LA and had just walked out of the GB concert. He thought that was so cool.

Got some great pics. (Soon to be shown)

When the show was over, I had planned on catching a taxicab back to the hotel. None were around. Since our hotel was only about 1-1/2 miles from the Forum, we decided to walk. About 1/2 way there, I came across an Inglewood Police car. I walked up and "badged" him. He then asked me if I was carrying my gun. I told him I wasn't, as I am not certified in California. He then asked, "Are you stupid? You should NOT be walking around here." LOL.

The cop then offered us a ride back to the hotel. On the way there, I asked him if there was a good place for us to get a drink. He suggested the Marriott Hotel and then gave us a ride there! Imagine a cop giving someone a ride TO the bar! I thanked him and gave him my business card. My GF was thrilled about: 1- Actually SEEING GB live in concert (her first) and, 2- Getting to ride in the back of a cop car. LOL.

We stayed at the Marriott, had a few cocktails and then caught a cab back to the hotel.

Flights were smoothe and only about 1/3 full. On time and quite pleasant.

That about sums it up for me.

--spud--

Thanks for the review Spud! I can not wait for the pictures-btw I am not going to ask about the g/f here! hehehe!

Nancy

Yay Tater! *L*

Krista
    Let us endeavor to live, that when we die, even the undertaker shall feel sorry.

SPUD!!!!!!!!

hmmm you HAD a great time

but you still owe me something. hhehehe hear from you soon, okay??

Kel.
    Kel (Chief)
    chief@planetchief.com
    http://www.planetchief.com/forums

If heaven ain't alot like dixie, I don't want to go!! Hank Williams, Jnr.

"Country Music: Admit It: We Need It!" George Jones

"Stand straight, walk proud, have a little faith, and hold out... ... We shall be free..." Garth Brooks - We Shall Be Free

That was a vey a-peeling report Officer/FireFighter/Paramedic Spud sir.......but, I want more!

How did you feel? Were you exhilerated (stomach tingling and heart racing) or let down (Garth not running, climbing & swinging from the rafters flamboyant with his wild stage antics)? Could you see & hear clearly? Were you rockin' & dancing? How did your g/f react? Did she cry happy tears through the whole thing like I do? What was the best part of the whole concert in your opinon? What song touched you the most? What went on when they would break away for commercials. Did you have heart palpitations at how terific Trisha looked?

In other words....What was the overall impression of an "ordinary, average, everyday potato"? (I use your words ~ NOT MINE!)

Later tater!

Mary Liz
    Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding? That is my idea of a perfect day!!!

hehe

Mary Liz, that's a good way to get spud to spill some beans

I want the story too spud!!!! hhehee

Kel.
    Kel (Chief)
    chief@planetchief.com
    http://www.planetchief.com/forums

If heaven ain't alot like dixie, I don't want to go!! Hank Williams, Jnr.

"Country Music: Admit It: We Need It!" George Jones

"Stand straight, walk proud, have a little faith, and hold out... ... We shall be free..." Garth Brooks - We Shall Be Free

Mary Liz has spoken. Now spud replies...

The days leading up to the concert were filled with one thought: "OH MY GOD! I AM GONNA SEE GARTH LIVE!!" (Sam can testify to that)

Exhileration? ABSOLUTELY! I was seriously PUMPED UP! I can remember squeezing my fists and pumping my arm in a "yeah" kinda of thing all the way up to, and during the show. I kept wandering, "How is he gonna appear?" In the line outside the Forum, I led the people in line on a full 3-verse rendition of "Friends in low places."

During the show, I never once sat down. No way, no how. During the rockin' songs, I danced, I clapped and threw my hands in the air. I screamed, I hollered and I acted like a seriously silly Garth madman. During the slow songs, I held onto Lisa in front of me and wiped away the tears from her eyes as GB sang "To make you feel my love" and "The Dance".

During "Wrapped up in you" I faced her and we wrapped our arms around one another as we sang it to each other.

Sure, I wanted to hear "The fever", "The change", "The old stuff" and a few more. Was I disappointed that I didn't? Not at all. My thoughts were "I can't believe that I am here." NOBODY was disappointed that evening. Garth didn't run and didn't climb the stage during "Ain't going down", but it didn't matter at all. He was there to share himself and his great music with us.

Garth made an agreement with CBS to do a one hour special that evening. He CHOSE to add another hour on for his fans.

Honestly, the best part about the concert was being there with Garth and 18,000 of his favorite fans. You could almost see the energy being transmitted to and from the audience. Garth did his usual and expected waves, pointing to individual fans and the "crazed" look in his eyes.

"We shall be free" always touches me. Wednesday was no exception, Mary Liz.

I air guitared during "Ain't going down".

During commercial breaks, you have already heard what happened. CBS wanted promos, so the audience did that. The staged was arranged for Keb Moore's song, and such.

I also did not notice Trisha'a arrival. I had to watch the tape when I got home to see that she was brought up from under the stage. While at the show, I just looked up and suddenly she was there! I looked at Lisa and said, "There's TRISHA!" I knew then that we would be hearing "Squeeze me in". BTW, both Trisha and Garth looked great.

My overall impression was that the show was very similar to the World Tour. Right up to the very end when he (on his SECOND encore) did "American Pie". I loved the world tour when I saw him in 1996, so this just brought back some of my most fondest and wonderful experiences with Garth Brooks.

A GREAT show, everyone.

--spud--
    Last edited by Garthmedic; 11-16-2001 at 11:31 PM.

Excellent Spud!

I wanted sooooooo much for you to feel the electricity and magic again and I just had to know that you did! I am now satisfied that Garth did indeed reach out & give it to you on Wednesday. But you know what? The very best of what he gave to you, you just passed on to me ~ which doubles the power of his touch! Thanks Spud, I can really feel the love, the awe, the excitement all over again...can't you?

{{{{{{{SPUD}}}}}}}

Mary Liz
    Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding? That is my idea of a perfect day!!!

Thanks for the details. It sounds like you had a great time and it sounds like every GB concert that I have been to. Every time I went to a Garth concert I acted like a silly Garth madman and thought to myself how great this man and his music makes me feel.

I am still very jealous of all those people that got to see him live and in person but I am glad you all had a great time.

I WANT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sooooo jealous...I cannot wait till Dec. 9th, I know it's not going to be the same, but it's something...I get to see Garth! for that I'm thankful (it being thanksgiving and all)

allison.

Jakob
    "You're entering a world of pain, son" - Walter, The Big Lebowski

I am so happy you had a great time Spudly Im glad Lisa did too. What a gift you gave her

I would have paid to see you leading "Friends In Low Places "

Lori

Yea Spud - sounds as though you had a great time! The part where you and your girlfriend sang to each other was sooooooo sweet!

Nothing like seeing the concert "Through another's eyes".

Lifts the spirit to see other's having so much fun doesn't it?

Thanks for posting your review,

Hawk

Very Cool Spud! And thanks for taking us all back there with you thru your memories. As I was reading your second installment, I was reliving my own wonderful memories from shows I was lucky enough to be at - the sights, sounds, excitement, the connection. And, yep, those memories are still just as strong as ever, but it's been awhile since I really focused on them. Thank you!

Spud!!

Thanks for sharing your story with us!! I really enjoyed our account and felt like I was right there with you!

And if I can say this...

"You aint no ordinary potato!"

Hugs,

Moni

Hi!
    Thank you for sharing your Garth-story! What a wonderful night you had!!! I am so happy for you! These memories will keep forever!!! But not just for you and all the others, which told their stories here at PG, too. I think even Garth will never forget those moments. I think you all are in his heart. And one hand he will terrible miss those touring times! He will left after the last show with one crying and one laughing eye!
    I have never seen him live and I will never do, but I´m not angry or jealous about it. You all shared your feelings with us. So somehow it is like have been there.
    I wish, he could read all your touching words, your feelings... How he changed your lives. But I think even if he would read it, he wouldn´t believe it! There is something special between Garth and his true closed fans, which are even friends of him. Things like honour, respect, happiness...
    I am so happy, that I found your planet. :-)

Mary Liz, again you surprized me with your always special words. You always find the best (and a real funny) way. No way to top that! LOL!

Always Garth- and Mary Liz-Fan
    Madeleine
    Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
    Our lives are better left to chance
    I could have missed the pain
    But I'd of had to miss the dance
    I'll never reach my destination
    If I never try
    We shall be free
    Where your road leads I will follow!

+ Reply to Thread