+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 - "Flop" 3

Top 3 - "Flop" 3

Okay, I know this will be a hard one to answer - but please try and play along

Name the 3 best songs on Scarecrow (if you can put them in order, with the one you love most as number one that would be cool). It is free to choose the songs because of the lyrics, melody, his voice or the way the band plays or what ever makes you loves the three songs.

The the hard one comes: Name the 3 songs you are not that wild about. I know many of us love all 12 songs, but there are always songs you like more than others. If you have are hard time choosing three songs think like this: You are on the way out of the house, but have time to play Scarecrow before you go, but there are only time to play 9 of the 12 songs, what would be the songs you leave out.

Play along, I don't want to see only your Top 3 - it is all or nothing

Here are mine:

Top 3:

1. Rodeo or Mexico (the lyrics are so much fun, and I get in a good mood by listning to this one)

2. The Storm (beautiful song, great lyrics and awesome sound)

3. When You Come Back To Me Again (Just because you are a little old, dosn't mean that you have lost the power)

Flop 3:

3. Beer Run (because it is only 2.28, why not 4.28???)

2. Wrapped Up In You (Because it is the song that are farest away from country)

1. Thicker Than Blood (Great lyrics, but the melody dosn't do anything to me, and when the cd is finished I can't remember how the song goes)

Okay, are there any brave people that dare to give their opinion
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
    Bill Shankly

This was hard, but here's what I came Up with:

Top 3
    1. Pushing Up Daisies
    2. Why Ain't I Running
    3. Rodeo Or Mexico

Flop 3
    1. Big Money
    2. Don't Cross the River
    3. Mr Midnight

Here's the order I like them in (starting with favorite)::

Pushing Up Daisies
    Why Ain't I Running
    Rodeo or Mexico
    When You Come Back to Me Again
    Beer Run
    Wrapped Up In You
    Thicker than Blood
    Squeeze Me In
    The Storm
    Mr Midnight
    Don't Cross The River
    Big Money

allison.

top and bottom three
    good thread! such a toughie!

my top 3 are:

When you come back to me again (one of my all time fave GB songs!)

Wrapped Up In You (I understand its the new single in the US right? So you're probably all sick of it by now! But I love this one because of the words - its one I can sing to my b/f... aww )

Thicker than Blood (what can I say! Fantastic!)

my bottom 3 are: (however theyre still good but here goes)

Squeeze Me In (I hate to say it!)

Pushing Up Daisies (love the tune, but not so much the words)

Rodeo or Mexico (I'm only saying this one cus you said we have to choose 3!)

Well that just took me about 10 mins to decide on my worst 3 ! So it proves how good they all are !

Well that was fun
    Much too young to feel this damn old!

God, this was hard!!

Top 3:
    Wrapped Up In You (it always puts a smile on my face)
    When You Come Back to Me Again (it always brings tears to my eyes)
    Squeeze Me In (makes my feet move)

Flop 3:
    Why Ain't I running (?it hasn't really hooked me yet)
    Beer Run (overplayed from George Jones Cd)
    The Storm (great, powerful but again hasn't hooked me)

Catherine

Ahhh - that is a difficult one!

Top 3:

1: Why Ain't I running - it's just vintage Garth material.

2: Big Money - great lyrics

3: Rodeo or Mexico - great lyrics

Flop 3 (there really aren't three!) :

1: Mr. Midnight - the melody isn't that great.

2: Thicker than Blood - this just doesn't do it for me.... until the ending

3: Pushing up Daisies.

Dang Palle - you just ain't fair!

Jakob
    "You're entering a world of pain, son" - Walter, The Big Lebowski

BIGGEST FLOP:

...is the fact that it's NOT released in Germany yet. IT SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX......*sniff*.

*blue*

This is awesome

I see a wide array of favorite, which means Garth hit his mark. Every song is becoming a favorite and every song is near someone's bottom, which is what an album should do. Awesome job, Garth.

Here is my list.

1. When You Come Back To Me Again (up there with The Dance in the message it should convey.
    2. The Storm (what a powerful song, obviously reminds me of 'Thunder' but I think this one is even better.)
    3. Why Ain't I Running (This song is too much me in my current five year engagement to not have up high. Even lyric I'm sitting here thinking "OMG! I wrote this!")
    4. Wrapped Up In You (especially after Leno...just Garth and the gang hooking up and banging out some sweet lyrics, and some awesome playing.)
    5. Beer Run (Garth runs the circles around George, but either way what a fun song to play on a Friday night!)
    6. Rodeo or Mexico (What a funny song, and Garth is the perfect guy to deliver it.)
    7. Pushing Up Daisies (Ditto #3)
    8. Squeeze Me In (I expected more from these two, especially with what they've done in the past. But it's still a fun song.)
    9. Big Money (What a fun song. A little wierd, but funny as hell.)
    10. Thicker Than Blood (I so love this song, but it's missing a couple of verses, and the bridge should be the chorus because it's so powerful. I hate to put it this low, but it's an incomplete song.)
    11. Mr. Midnight (I just don't get it. I get it, but I don't. LOL)
    12. Don't Cross The River (I don't like bluegrass, at all!)

Top 3
    ---------
    1) When You Come Back To Me Again... (This song just gets me here *taps my heart*)
    2) Wrapped Up in You (I'm playing this over and over and over!!!)
    3) Big Money (Fun, fun, fun!!!)

Flop 3 (though there isn't such a thing)
    ---------
    1) The Storm (Just too intense for me at the moment)
    2) Mr. Midnight (I don't have anything against it... It's just not as good as the rest)
    2) Don't Cross the River (I love the Blue Grass... I just don't get the lyrics yet)
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

thanx for your commitment....

that I still have to wait 5 days! *blue*

Three and Three

1. When You Come Back to Me Again
    2. Pushing Up Daisies
    3. Rodeo or Mexico

and

3. Don't Cross the River
    2. Squeeze Me In(although the concert version just ROCKS!)
    1. Big Money - funny, but , ehhhh . . .

Okay this is hard.

Top 3

1. "Why Ain't I Running"
    2. "Wrapped Up In You"
    3. "When You Come Back To Me Again"

All the others.

Bottom 3

1. "Mr. Midnight"
    2. "Big Money"
    3. "Pushing Up Daises"

That was tough

Robin

Only 8 more hours til I get Scarecrow!! I hate having to wait til payday!! I'll post my Top/Flop 3 first thing Monday morning. (I work Mon-Thurs, and at work is the only place I am online. )
    Ya'll posts are making me more and more excited!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Kristi
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    This is the Dance I do every day
    I let my feet go and get carried away
    I let my soul lead and follow the sound
    It's the Dance that I do
    When there's no one around

This is sooo hard! I tried, really I did, but I just cant do it. So, instead I put them into four groups....sorry. I just couldn't call any of them flops.

Group 1.....stand out favorites!
    The Storm (This just blows me away, and so far the only one I've played on repeat for hours at a time. And, no....I dont see myself in this song at all....but it still manages to get to me each time I hear it. I love the way it starts off quiet, and then BOOM! Garth totally holds my attention with this song)
    WYCBTMA (Will always be one of my ALL time favorite songs, bar none.)

Group 2....love these too!
    Why Aint I Running (Very cool song...love the vocals on this, and the Bob Segar feel!)
    Squeeze Me In (Wooohoooo! Totally smokin' song!)
    Pushing Up Daisies (Oh wow....this one is really special...very blunt, very powerful. And it just couldn't be more true about the "dash" in between!)

Group 3....also great!
    Dont Cross The River (OK, I'll admit...these lyrics leave me going "huh?", but the tune is just sooooo cool! I can never remember any of the words, except for the first two lines of the chorus, but I find myself going around singing those two lines all the time!)
    Wrapped Up In You (Happiness and fun....feel good song!)
    Rodeo or Mexico (Yeah baby!!! Something about, um....dancing... )
    Big Money (Totally silly.....very catchy)

Group 4.....all awesome songs - but if I had to pick my least favorites, I guess these would be it.
    Mr. Midnight (I really like this song, except for the line, "honey who you talking to"....I dunno, that line just leaves me confused. When I figure out what it means, I'll probably feel like an idiot, but until then.....that line just messes up the song for me.)
    Thicker Than Blood (The song seems too short. Just when I'm ready to hear more about blended families, it's already moved on to the next step. Great messages, but each verse deserved to be a bit longer. Or more verses. Too compact, I guess.)
    Beer Run (Fun song...but since I'm not in the least a fan of George Jones, even though George DOES do a great job here...well, something had to be last. But I'd still rather hear this one than most other songs on the radio these days!)

Since I'm new here, I'll post my top three from 'Scarecrow...

1. 'Why Ain't I Running' - I have this song on repeat in my office. It reminds me of my wife. The line, 'Something isn't right when there ain't nothing wrong' hit me where it counts!

2. 'Wrapped Up In You' - It makes me wanna dance!

3. 'WYCBTMA' - Wonderful song.

Bottom 3:

1. 'Beer Run' - I hadn't heard the song until I bought the cd. I expected more.
    2. 'Thicker Than Blood'- Good lyrics but didn't 'hook' me
    3. 'Pushing Up Daisies' - see #2

As for the 'Mr.Midnight' song...here's what I got from it...

It's a dj playing love songs, and a woman from his past calls up and he recogonizes the voice, but she doesn't know he's a lover from the past. She's calling in to have the dj play a song for HIM. The voice that says, "Honey, who you talking to?" Is the woman's boyfriend/husband.

Top 3:
    1) The Storm (has got to be my all time favorite Garth song. It has surpassed all the others that he has on all his other CD's.)
    2) Why Ain't I Running
    3) Mr. Midnight

Bottom 3:
    1) Squeeze Me In (I'd say that this has got to be the worst song that Garth has on all of his CD's.)
    2) Rodeo or Mexico
    3) Big Money

It's a dj playing love songs, and a woman from his past calls up and he recogonizes the voice, but she doesn't know he's a lover from the past. She's calling in to have the dj play a song for HIM.
    Yep, that part was clear as a bell for me.

The voice that says, "Honey, who you talking to?" Is the woman's boyfriend/husband.
    Ahhhh. OK....lol. I knew I'd feel like an idiot when it finally made sense! Thanks Rev. For some reason, I just couldn't get past thinking that it was either the DJ or the caller who said it, and that, of course, made NO sense! Geesh. OK, now the song needs to be moved way up on my personal ranking!

Here's my thoughts on the topic:

Top 3:
    1. Mr. Midnight -- It's so much more depressing than his usual stuff. It's really great!

2. Why Ain't I Running -- Like people have already said, this sounds like the early stuff. It's classic Garth already.

3. Wrapped Up In You -- Nothing like a good acoustic-type jam song, if you ask me. Like he said last night, a bunch of us sitting around on the porch could hammer this one out with little trouble. Fun song.

Flop 3:
    1 with a bullet -- The Storm -- This is just terrible. Four and a half minutes of my life I'll never get back. I just can't believe this is one of the 12 best songs he had for this album. No way.

2. Squeeze Me In -- It's just bad. Trisha Yearwood does nothing for me on a song like this. There had to be a better song out there.

3. Thicker Than Blood -- He had me at the beginning, but once it went the direction of We Shall Be Free at the end, he lost me completely.

Even though I didn't like those three songs AT ALL, I'm still EXREMELY happy to have new Garth music. (Dare we pray for a tour? He could crack, you never know.)

Pleasant Hill, Missouri (outside of kansas city)

top 3 flop 3

My top three in the order I like them best are:

1)Rodeo or Mexico
    (this one is so fun to turn up real loud and dance to while I'm
    driving to school or work.)

2)Why Ain't I Runnin'
    (I just like the whole feel of this song. Especially listening to
    it a little closer after that one interpretation of it.
    I see what you mean.)

3)The Storm
    (really powerful and emotional...I saw somewhere that this song was about his and Sandy's relationship ending.)

Now, I can't really say these are "flops" but rather the ones that I listen to least often.

1)Pushing up Daisies

2)Don't Cross the River

3)When You Come Back To Me Again
    (Don't get me wrong...I love this song, it's just that I've heard it so much in the last year, and I was ready for all of the new unheard stuff.)
    *AMANDA BROOKE*

"Listen not to the critics, who put their own dreams on the shelf.
    If you wanna get the truth to admit it, you gotta find out for yourself...How you ever gonna know?"
    -GARTH BROOKS-

Wa wa wa,

As usual the antipodean's haven't got it yet...........3 more sleeps then I will post on this thread once it is released.

Humphhhhhh
    Inserting envy face here if there was one LOLOLOL

Annette

okay, I've been sitting here 20 mins staring at the back of the cd trying to figure this out. So, I'll try to do it:

Top 3:

1. Mr. Midnight....hands down awesome I wish the chorus was a little better, but the verse is amazing...It just fits in with my little "Every Now and Then" meets "That Ol Wind" gone bad theme... Thanks Garth!

2. Why Ain't I Running...just because it sounds like That Summer...which, during the live show, just once, I'd like to see him do them back to back, while the last note is ringing in That Summer just break into the piano intro to this...or..open with it!

3. Don't Cross The River...I did not like this tune until I heard it on a whim on the only radio station I could get in tune driving for work. It came as a shock, but, it hit its mark and got me groovin'.

------in between--- (4.) The Storm...just for the chorus
    (4. again) Thicker Than Blood the first 1/2, just because it is SOOOO James Taylor meets Garth Brooks. Very Cool.

Bottom 3:

1. Beer Run....I used to like this song until I saw George Jones murder it on the CMA's. I think the wrong 'G' is retiring.....and to think the studio version sounded so cool. It's amazing what little studio toys can make a horrible voice sound like.....

2. Rodeo or Mexico...I love this song, so why is it on the bottom three you ask? because the chorus sounds too much like a Brooks and Dunn tune to me. And I just don't like them.

3. Big Money...because I've heard it for many years on Mark Chesnutts cd, and I wanted NEW songs. Not Mark Chesnutt covers......

boy that was hard.

Kelly Ray

Here are my favorites!!!

TOP 3
    1. Wrapped Up In You (just can see him smiling!!! )
    2. When You Come Back to Me Again (have loved it since i heard it)
    3. Big Money (Just think it is a good time song)

FLOP 3 (are there any?)

I don't think there are any " Flops "!!!!!! I love them all!!!!!!!!

Robin

I hope he releases Pushing Up Daisies next.. LOL then it won't be as much a flop

But I think Thicker Than Blood will come next on the horizon..

Jason

I was thinking about the next single, too. 'Rodeo or Mexico' is one that would probably do well, but I wouldn't mind seeing 'Don't Cross River' come out next. That whole bluegrass sound has made a comeback. The Dixie Chicks have done well with it.

Too difficult. Really like them all in different ways. And some are so close to "home". Some make me think about Garth's car accident - and other really, really difficult moments - and some sadness that some moments have been and are so hard for all and especially for some.

Overall, complex messages throughout - lot to sort through and think about!

So I'll just go with lines
    that have immediately stayed in my mind;

"And if bloods thicker than water,
    Then what are we fighting for?
    We're all sons and daughters
    of something that means so much more."

Along with

"Once happiness was only
    Whenever I was on my own
    So now why do I feel lonely
    Any time that I'm alone?

No, they've never built a wall that high
    Or made a chain that strong.
    And God never made a place
    I feel like I belong."

Along with

"How do I love you, well don't you know
    I love you as completely as any love can grow.
    Baby, completely wrapped up in you"

Hawk
    Last edited by Hawk7lte; 11-16-2001 at 01:34 PM.

Washington, DC U.S.A., Land of the Free, Home of the Brave!!!
    honestly i like them all but since we had to pick this is what i chose. as a matter of fact i don't think there are any of his songs that i dislike!

but here goes...

Top three
    #1. Why ain't i running(vintage Garth)
    #2. Mr. Midnight(kind of tugs at ya)
    #3. it's a tie between Thicker than blood and Squeeze me in(one lets you see more insight into Garth & family and the Other is just a good rockin' friday afternoon "rush-hour" jam)

Bottom three
    #1. Don't cross the river
    #2. pushing up daisies (although that's beginning to grow on me)
    #3. beer run (not that i don't like it but i've been hearing it too much)

Tina
    ...our lives are better left to chance, I could've missed the pain --- but I'd of had to miss the DANCE

Take it Easy, Take it Slow, Take it Light...Oh What the Heck Just Take It!!!

Tops
    1. WYCBTMA
    2. The Storm
    3. Rodeo or Mexico

No flops but lower down on list of favorites would be:
    Squeeze Me In
    Don't Cross The River
    Thicker Than Blood

I very much disliked Big Money the first few times through and then I listened more carefully to the lyrics. They are hysterical. Now I laugh everytime I play it.

Elaine

We should all do this again in about 2 weeks and see if we've changed!! Because 'Big Money' is definately riding up the charts for me !! It might even make it into to my top 3 ! Infact, I think that about 8 of the songs are in my top 3!

And I found myself singing "Don't Cross the River" alllll day long at work !

I was actually happy at work for once ! Cheers Garth!
    Much too young to feel this damn old!

Hi!

Based upon playing the CD once thru:

1. When You Come Back to Me Again (somehow I feel attached to this song)
    2. Wrapped Up In You (FUN song.....great commercial spot)
    3. Squeeze Me In (love the title)....guess I've had too much Garth this week! (LOL)

I like all the songs....there aren't any flops that I know of.

I just read on Roughstock countdown.....Wrapped Up In You was #10!

Carol
    Wizard2C

-------------------------
    Children know of hunger, AIDS, despair........."Dance!Sing!Fun!2002!"

I'm not going to play fair here because I honestly don't know what three I would put as my least favorites. I can however tell you the three that I like the most (right now anyway!)

1) Squeeze Me In - I loved this song from day one, but after seeing them do it live, I can honestly say its my favorite.

2.) Pushing Up Daisies - I love what Garth has done with this song! It really gets to me!

3.) Thicker Than Blood - Again, after seeing him sing this on GMA, well, how can I not love it! Made me cry buckets!

If I would have answered this tuesday, my list would have been a little different. Maybe after next wed. it will change again... maybe even by tomorrow! LOL

~Ann~

Here are mine....finally!

Top 3

1. Why Ain't I Running
    2. Big Money
    3. Pushing Up Daisies

Flop 3

1. The Storm (It just hasn't grown on me yet.)
    2. Thicker Than Blood (Don't shoot me. I love the first verse, but after that I think it tries too hard.)
    3. Mr. Midnight (I just picked this one to fill in a third flop. This song is really climbing up my list though.)

There. Now I don't have to keep worrying about what my flops will be. I need a nap.

Kristi
    This is the Dance I do every day
    I let my feet go and get carried away
    I let my soul lead and follow the sound
    It's the Dance that I do
    When there's no one around

+ Reply to Thread