+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My journey with the Scarecrow

My journey with the Scarecrow

Yes Garth's girls... you told your daddy true. The Scarecrow did think with his heart and so does your Dads new album.

I just went through a whole season on the farm with the Scarecrow and he showed me somethings. I saw the corn spouting, young, and full of energy, mature and bursting with vitality, dying and grieving, and dry and crackling in the wind with it's spirit gone.

While this album may be much like Garth's old CD's... it's flow is not. The whole album flows and tells it's own story. Even the songs I've heard before (WYCBTM, BeerRun, and even WUIY) were completely different when heard in the context of the album.

Here's my thoughts on the songs... for what my thoughts are worth:

"Why Ain't I Running"... ok Garth, in this case I forgive you for using the word "ain't" *lol* A strong melody that plays, unforgettably in your heard... for sure. The lyrics about a man who finds himself bound by love but not trapped as he would have thought. I see Sandy in parts of this song. She's no longer holding him. Maybe never was... but now there are ties that bind without true restriction.

"BeerRun"... I like it. Lots of fun and a dream come true for Garth to sing with George Jones. George shines his best and Garth is tickled pink to be sharing the ride.

"Wrapped Up in You"... Like Beer Run, this one's not written by Garth but the song is perfect for his voice. It's fun and light... and of all Garth's songs this is one that I think I don't sound half bad with when I sing along. Mostly I like to sing it to my hubby. My 14 year old isn't a big country fan... but she's wearing this one out.

"The Storm"... This one is my husband's favorite, though he can't tell me why exactly. I can't stand it. But wait... that's not a bad thing. The music is strong... the lyrics are powerful. I just find the emotion painful. I hate it much in the same way that I hate "The Thunder Rolls"... It's something that I have to be in a certain mood for... and when I am... there is no better song. Leave it to Garth to dig down deep and release some of those more painful emotions. We know writers often draw on their experiences or those around them.... One can only hope that this one is totally fantasy.

"Thicker Than Blood"... Thank you for this one Garth. A perfect song for this "Veteran's Day". A song honoring your family, your dad's Marine background... but also a call for understanding that we all share something thicker than blood.

"Big Money"... True black humor. It tickled me and was much needed smirk after the intensity of the previous 2 songs on the album.

"Squeeze Me In"... As someone else said in their review... I'm NOT a big Trisha Yearwood fan. I too loved "She's in Love With the Boy", but not much else grabbed me and I've not cared for their duets... but this one IS fun and it does kick it.

"Mr. Midnight" has a smooth melody. I bet it becomes of favorite of late night disc jockies... Do they still exist? Seems all the radio stations are being gobbled up by conglomerates that have canned nighttime radio. If the country music industry wonders why they are losing people... I think they should look at this practice more than at the music. Get some real, LOCAL radio people on the air... let them play this song!!!

"Pushing Up Daisies". The melody on this one doesn't stick with me... but the message sure does... and I hope it does for his dad as well. I have to wonder if the writers didn't write this song specifically for Garth... The reference to the sword... the father's pain... all too close to be a coincidence.

"Rodeo or Mexico".... BIG SMILE on this one. A fun story! What I'm left wondering at the end is.... was the man with the knife her husband or maybe her dad?!?! Eeekkk.... Maybe he's angry because it's his wife... or maybe he's yelling that he better make her his wife! That cowboy is in a heap of trouble! Hard to sing to... but lots of fun.

"Don't Cross The River"... I have not connected with this song yet. I love the appalachian/bluegrass influence. Nice to see a traditional song on there. The chorus is great... I'm just not getting the meaning to the lyric just yet. I'm sure I will though.

Sooooooooooo..........

We've run the breadth of emotion in this album... all the seasons of life..... and then comes.......

"When You Come Back to Me Again"... This album makes this song new again to me. It speaks of rebirth... change... and a return full circle. Is this not what happens on a farm all the time? A perfect song to end the CD with........ or is it the end? I can't help but still feel that this song is Garth's message to the fans. It makes me tear up everytime I hear it.
    Again and again I see
    My yesterdays in front of me
    Unfolding like a mystery
    You're changing all that is and used to be

On a prayer, ON A SONG
    I hear your voice and it keeps me hanging on
    Raining down against the wind
    I'm reaching out until we reach the circles end
    When you come back to me again
    Oh Garth...... don't you know...... a circle never ends......

Thank you.....
    I know that this album is something special.... as they all were in their own ways.
    It will stand strongly on it's own.

NOT a final album..... but it makes a circle with the rest...

And we will ALWAYS Come back to you again....

Peace brother...... love to the family... and to you.

God Bless
    Deb (aka Garth's Snow)
    Last edited by Snow; 11-12-2001 at 10:55 PM.
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

GREAT!!!!

I love the review and I Love the album myself.
    I was one of the lucky few to get it early also
    God Bless the Believers
    -Nick

" There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone and everyone knows what they mean, but what's more important is the time that is known and that little dash - there in between!"

I also relized that about the last song When You Come Back To Me Again.

It upsets me to think that is his message to us that this copuld be the final album =(

Who knows hes Garth he always has somthing in store .
    God Bless the Believers
    -Nick

" There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone and everyone knows what they mean, but what's more important is the time that is known and that little dash - there in between!"

Thanks Snow.

Nice review.

Jakob
    "You're entering a world of pain, son" - Walter, The Big Lebowski

Thanks for the review, Snow I love hearing what others think of the album!!

Ugh! *L* I want my CD! *L* I'm gonna go get it at lunch (our Wal-Mart decided not to open at midnight).

Krista
    Let us endeavor to live, that when we die, even the undertaker shall feel sorry.

Snow-
    Your review is right on the money!!

This is a GREAT album and not just because it's Garth. That part just makes it better. I just finished listening to the complete CD. (One of the perks of working in a small office by myself.) There is not one song that I don't like. Although, "The Storm" is going to take getting use to. It's a very powerful song but not really something that stays with you, IMHO. "Thicker Than Blood" has that James Taylor sound to it. I think Garth said on the radio interview that he thinks this one will be timeless. I agree. Sort of like "Unswered Prayers".

I loved "Don't Cross the River". The lyrics almost don't seem to matter a whole lot, because the instruments sound so good. Fun song!

I laughed out loud at the ending to "Rodeo or Mexico". Typical Garth storytelling.

And of course I teared up at WYCBTMA. Perfect ending to a perfect CD.

I'm going to go purchase another copy (maybe 2) so my daughter will have her own. I know this is one she'll wear out in a week.

Catherine

Deb

go to www.tennessean.com and click on entertainment/celebrities. Pete Cooper has a great write up on Garth and how 'Pushing up Daisies' was culled from 2 Kevin Welch songs with Garth adding the bridge (and not taking credit for it. Awesome song.

I have to agree with you about the flow.
    Last edited by BLL; 11-13-2001 at 01:42 PM.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Ahhhhhhhhh........ thanks for the link...... that does make sense!

The more I listen to this CD, the more I like it. If that is possible.

I played WUIY 3 times in a row on the way home.

I can't seem to get that picture of the scarecrow on the inside back cover out of my mind.

Is it possible to fall in love with Garth all over again? *soft smile*
    But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
    'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

+ Reply to Thread