+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keith Urban in Playgirl

Keith Urban in Playgirl

I also posted this in the other Keith Urban thread. It's true! Keith did a recent spread in Playgirl. I 'saw' it, but not very clearly, over at a two-part interview on www.getmusic.com. But it was done discretely. He says he takes it lightly and in fun, letting out a bit of the exhibitionist in him as an artist. I think it was him they showed on the cover and then a few poses lounging with his guitar. Interesting too, that I had just read he used to have a drug dependence problem, and then in this interview he says he recently went through a time of getting him spiritually ready for whatever is next with his life. Like I've said elsewhere, I can't wait to 'see' more of Keith Urban! Lol! If someone can find it and cares to put up the link to the interview if there is a way. I'm clueless with this one. It came as two separate parts.

Also, someone said Keith may be in today's Parade magazine from the newspaper.

Yep, keith is in USA Weekend today. It's amazing the places you can go by telling people you used to be a drug addict. Personally, I don't find that to be a good thing, but maybe that's just me.
    This ain't no practice life, we only get one chance, our love ain't throw away, it's all we've got, nobody goes around twice, this ain't no practice life. --Andy Griggs

Keith is one of THE most talented guitarist out there and he's cute as a button and very sweet to boot!!! I just acquired Keith's "The Ranch" CD and it's wonderful!!

As for him speaking openly about being addicted to Cocaine, like he did on CMT...well,
    we're all addicted to something...it may just not be illegal and perhaps he felt as a public figure, much like a politician, it's sometimes better to divulge it yourself before others do and consider you to have little deep dark secrets! Do you feel things like drug addiction and AIDS are best kept hidden until someone esle reveals it about you? Does addiction make him any less the talented artist he is? The fact that he realized his addiction and has been recovering to overcome it ever since, says alot to me. Do we need to dig up the icons from the 60's who were also addicted to illegal drugs? True, some of them unfortunately were not able to recover from their addictions and survive but does that mean that their contributions to music history were any less than what they were? Did their addictions alter my life in anyway? I don't think so! No one sets out to become addicted to anything. It's a struggle he'll have to deal with the rest of his life and I wish him all the best!!!!

Cheryl
    "Anything is possible"

Well said, Cheryl!!

To me, it doesn't matter that Keith has had to overcome an addiction. Drugs are not something that I would personally ever do, but like you said, all of us are addicted to something in one way or another. I give him a lot of credit for recognizing that he had a problem and dealing with it before it took his life. He is a tremendous talent, and if you're buying his album, THAT is what should count -- NOT his personal life and mistakes he has made in his past.

I agree with you too Cheryl.

It takes strength and determination to do what he did I admire him for saying it

Lori

Oops! My apologies to keith urban for spelling his name with capital letters. I forgot!

And this weekend today paper, is it available all week at the news stands? I'm gonna go hunt for it when I go to Borders to pick up a copy of Billboard with Garth's recent interview.

And about keith's former drug addiction and him being so open about it, might help others hiding their addictions in the dark more likely to pursue help because of keith. So we see, a bad thing turning more bad into good along with his. We need a guy like him, who's already been there and weathered the storm at a much earlier age than some of these rock stars. The younger generation may be more apt to listen to a guy like keith.

Could someone please tell me, what was it keith says that finally got him to wake-up and get on-track with his life?

Here's the whole article :)

Up from Down Under

The life of Keith Urban reads more like a rock soap opera than an old western ballad.

Nine years after leaving Australia, this Nashville "newcomer" is contending this week for the Country Music Association's Horizon Award.

By Stephanie Mansfield

Country music fan Nancy Swales clutches a program and waits patiently in the long line that snakes outside the stage door at the Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, Va., near Washington, D.C. She and thousands of Western-hatted, boot-wearing suburbanites have come for a Brooks & Dunn show featuring Toby Keith and a charismatic Australian with spiky bleached-blond hair, three silver hoops in one ear, skintight leather pants and a screaming Fender Telecaster electric guitar.

"I'm sure die-hard Willie Nelson country fans don't like him," Swales says, waiting to snag an autograph from Keith Urban. "But he's sexy, and his music's really hot." That must be music to the ears of record executives who have watched sales of country CDs slip from the Garth Brooks boom years while more and more all-country radio stations abandon the format.

Like Faith Hill, Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks, 34-year-old Urban (who prefers to spell his name in all lower-case letters) has joined the ranks of hip young artists breaking down the barriers of traditional country. His recent single "Where the Blacktop Ends" hit No. 3 on "Billboard"'s country chart. Now he's up for the Country Music Association's Horizon Award at Wednesday's ceremony (CBS, 8 p.m. ET).

The wiry, 5-foot-10 virtuoso guitarist with the Aqua Velva-blue eyes also posed semi-nude for "Playgirl" and was one of People's "Sexiest Man Alive" picks, cementing his reputation as the new Dish from Down Under.

"He's one of the hottest new acts in country, and he's got it all," says Chris Parr, vice president of music and talent for Country Music Television in Nashville. "He's an amazing guitarist, he writes, he sings. He's been very popular with our audience," largely 18- to 49-year-olds.

Often referred to by his peers as a "rock star in disguise," Urban borrows guitar riffs from Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith, while conjuring up the honey-toned vocals of Glen Campbell. A fixture on the Nashville circuit for several years with his former band, The Ranch, Urban went solo in 1999.

Lounging barefoot, in jeans and wearing a baseball cap, near a hotel pool before a recent show, he recounts his early years in Australia, learning the ukulele at 5, strumming acoustic guitar, mimicking his favorite country stars, winning talent shows, flirting with heavy metal as a teen and dreaming of Nashville. "I grew up playing American country," he says, his voice tinged with an Aussie accent. "I left school when I was 15. I couldn't wait to leave. My parents were driving me to my gigs. They could see I was earning money, and I could earn more money by getting out of school."

He moved from Brisbane to Nashville in '92, eventually forming his three-piece band. The Ranch released one critically acclaimed album, but traditional country radio stations ignored it. "It was probably hard for people in Nashville to accept an Australian," says his mother, Marienne. In fact, it's been 27 years since an Australian won a CMA award (Olivia Newton-John, 1974 Female Vocalist of the Year). This year, Urban is even competing against another Aussie, Jamie O'Neal. "When he got here, there were great expectations," says Marienne, who now lives in Nashville and handles sales of her son's merchandise on the Internet.

By late '98, Urban -- who had four No. 1 country singles back in Australia -- was spiraling out of control. Years of frustration, he says, had led to the addiction. "I could only take so much rejection. Especially when you've paid your dues back home. Then you come here and you're no one."

He admits to free-basing cocaine and says his lowest moment came almost three years ago. "I had this house in Nashville where I used to do drugs. It was a really cheap, run-down place. I remember one night crawling around on my hands and knees, looking for these little rocks at 5 in the morning, and I was drenched in sweat. It was the worst."

Three days later, he checked himself into Cumberland Heights, a treatment center in Nashville. The previous months had brought "major chaos in my life. I pushed everybody away. Cocaine kills everything you need: belief and self-esteem. I was fortunate that I had music. But I think what got me out of it was spirituality. I just couldn't do it anymore."

Says Fletcher Foster, senior vice president of marketing for Capitol Records: "I think people always valued his talent, but no one knew what he was dealing with internally. He told me later there were times he didn't think he'd live through the night."

Urban says, "I'm sure a lot of people wrote me off."

His parents, then still living in Australia, weren't aware of the problem until he entered rehab. "I'm sure people thought, 'Well, he'll go back home,' " his mother says. "But Keith was determined to prove them wrong."

He kicked his habit, entered the studio and got serious, recording and co-producing his first solo album. In addition, Urban wrote three and co-wrote six of the 12 songs. Around the same time, he hired a new management team. Things were clearly starting to jell, as one of his singles, "But for the Grace of God", reached "Billboard"'s No. 1 spot.

In a business rife with heartache and hard-luck stories, Urban's dramatic turnaround is inspiring. It reveals an inner strength and resolve not to squander his gifts. "It wasn't until he came clean with the drugs that he realized the talent he was given," Foster says.

And Music City insiders say the whole town is pulling for him.

His personal life also is back on track. This summer he reunited with his longtime girlfriend, a veterinary technician. Urban then arranged for a man to stand outside the window of a restaurant where they were lunching, holding a large postcard Urban had created that asked, "Laura, Will You Marry Me?"

She said yes.

"They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," he says softly, sitting by the pool, squinting into the sun. "I think that's true. I sought solace in something that started out as a diversion. But being onstage is the best rush. I get off on everything now that got me off as a teenager. I feel like I'm 15 again."

He has painted his toenails a bright metallic gray. Previously, they were gold. "Now they're platinum until the record goes platinum," he says, laughing. "I hope that won't be very long."

Contributing Editor Stephanie Mansfield last profiled actor Kyle MacLachlan for USA WEEKEND Magazine.

"They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger,"
    Thanks Shannon...he'll be one of the ones who makes it!!!! God Bless you Keith, the music is why you were put here and the music will show you the way! Also, congrats to Keith...the next time he admires my jacket, it's his!

Cheryl
    "Anything is possible"

Hmm. "A rock star in disguise." Reminds me of another Aussie native!

+ Reply to Thread