+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wanna know what's wrong with country?

Pulling herself on the soapbox,

musha, gotta get a shorter one

um, before Garth there was Bluegrass, Country, Country Western catagories.

That doesn't include real cowboy music which was around before then. And is still alive thanks to LeDoux, Garth, Micheal Martin Murphy and others.

And Garth and Stillwater came riding along (oh them handsome cowboys!) and not only changed everybody's mind, they broke down those fences around Bluegrass Country Country Western AND Cowboy music.

i don't ever remember hearing a COWBOY song on any of my parents country western albums with the exception of Big Iron and El Paso from Marty Robbins.

And the fences are still down ya'll. Kinda like a Musical Berlin Wall of sorts.

i've learned alot of music cos of them. i see it alot differently now.

for once i have a link for ya'll

www.kpfk.org

They play all those catagories and more.

listen to the music first and then make up your own mind okey?

Cos, Jason's right, what sounds new doesn't mean it sounds bad.

Garth and Stillwater did that. And Alan Jackson and the rest are jealous. Well, that's THEIR problem, i guess.

There's two programs back to back on Sat. morns. Wildwood Flower and Heartfelt Music. Another program is on Sunday nights called Alive and Pickin.

i read an article too about new catagories for country artists. Sounds to me like them dumb execs (like at um, at Capitol maybe?) can't figure out how, when or why we'll buy the next cd.

So they're trying to create a situation that benefits them, ya know? So whaddaya say we keep them guessing? And buy what sounds good and not so much what they play on the radio. (Sorry Tim and Faith that might cut into your lifestyle a bit, no disrepect intended)

We have cd players, we can listen to what we really want,

right?

falling off the soapbox . . .

THUD!!!
    take care,

lil'bit

Don't get on Alan...

He is one of the few that has stayed true to his roots. The guy plays what he likes and makes no appologies if you don't like it. I have a lot of respect for him.
    As much as the admiration for GB may be, Alan deserves as much in my opinion, especially after his performance at the CMA 2 years ago (Pop a Top/Choices)...
    That took guts, and a lot of class...
    I hardly think he is upset by anything other performers do, as long as they are striving to improve country and respect the performers that came before them.

Oh man Nick! Where were you on those Alan bashing threads! Lol! Could have used ya!

2 years ago (Pop a Top/Choices)...
    That's one thing that I respect Alan for...it took a lot of guts for him to do that.

So, I do admire him for something, Dale *L*

Krista
    Let us endeavor to live, that when we die, even the undertaker shall feel sorry.

Well, I'm glad Krista. Maybe you or Nick can explain to me just what was so cool about what Alan did. I'm a new fan. I haven't a clue!

Listen guys. I may have come off a bit rough on my first two posts. But I've been wanting to say this stuff for a long time. I'm going to list my complaints and then let ya'll respond.

1. When Fresh Horses didn't sell well enough for Garth, he thought he would fire top management. It couldn't be that it was a sub-garth album.

2. Double live: it was not a live cd by any means. That was a cd meant too sell records. On real live cd's you have mess ups and there is no dubbing over the real thing. That record did it for me.

3. Garth's live show was good the first time, but you saw the same show everytime you went. He said the same exact things in between songs and never changed up his setlist except for maybe his encore.

4. Garth cheats on his (ex) wife. That tells you what kind of person he is right there.

5. Limited Editions: It was cool the first time with the box set, but after sevens, double live, and magic of christmas it got old. He just did that said to sell more records.

In closing I want to say that Garth's music is great for the most part. I still listen to it just about everyday. But I can't get past the bottom line: Garth put out the last few cds just for the stats. Sorry guys but I had to get this off my chest.

Oh yea, and in every interview i saw of him I don't think I ever saw the real Garth. I saw the Garth that was convenient for that time.

spud pulls up a comfortable chair, opens up a bag of popcorn and an ice-cold coca cola- in anticipation of the slaughter...

--spud--

Moni pulls up a chair too... Spud, please pass the popcorn and the salt. I'm watching this thread REAL close!

Just a subtle warning....

spud pulls up a comfortable chair, opens up a bag of popcorn and an ice-cold coca cola- in anticipation of the slaughter...

Moni pulls up a chair too... Spud, please pass the popcorn and the salt. I'm watching this thread REAL close!

monica.. dont over do the salt as salt is too salty .. can i get anyone a beer or pop or water or anything during this commercial break

lemme see....

1. fresh horses sold over 5 million records..

2. just because it wasnt done in one place does not mean its not live.. geesh ..

3. i saw gb 4 times on the tour and EACH show was different

4. if he did.. whats your point.. dont people make mistakes ? have you never made a mistake?

5. he did not put the cds out to sell them..lol.. no fences was rereleased for its tenth anniversary

finally..how is it you know the real garth.. unless you are him.. which you are not ... or are his siamese twin.. id stop now .. have a nice day

You know if you're looking for someone to "blame" for Garth's success you have to look no further than here.

We, the fans are 100% responsible for it! WE are the ones who "fell" for all of the marketing ploys, etc.

The reason Garth had sold 100 million albums (plus) is because he could .

I for one, just have to sit back and grin when people point out to me that Garth is just concerned with the numbers of albums sold. I suppose that why he's kept the price of his concert tix at less than $20.00. When was the last time any of you remember paying that for a "big" act?

If you put out a good "product" people will buy it.

So if you want to "blame" someone for Garth's success you can start with me a "lowly" fan.

Hey I got broad shoulders.....

deb

Hey Riverdancer

Are you my twin or so??

I agree with most of what you said But it doesn't mean I'll stop buying his CD's Neither does it mean that I want him to stop releasing the albums like that. But it does mean I want him to be honest with us

Brian

Boy, you sure know how to make friends! LOL

You march yourself into a Garth Brooks messageboard proclaiming to like the man and procede to bash the hell out of him? You've only been here a couple of days and you expect us to respect what you have to say? Garth has earned my respect, you have a long way to go.

Sure, you have alot of complaints. So what? Recently there's been alot of discussion here about another country artist who shall remain nameless. Everyone defended him by saying that he should be judged by his music alone, that his private time was his alone, he doesn't have to do anything besides the music. So is that true? If you like Garth's music, isn't that enough? Or are all those PGers that defended the other artist wrong?

I agree with Deb, it's the fans fault! We bought all those CDs. And no one had to twist my arm to make those purchases, as I assume they had to do with you. Garth's music delivers a message that to me makes sense. 100 million other people thought the same thing. Who cares about the special printing on the cover? It's still the music on the shiny disk inside that counts! And I'll continue to buy Garth's music for as long as he continues to bless us with it. Like I said before, he's earned my respect.

Jim
    Last edited by phillyfan77; 07-31-2001 at 10:25 AM.
    I'll never reach my destination
    If I never try

Originally posted by AgainstTheGrain

um.. what?????????????

whatever sold records??????

first of all .. who is to say what will sell... people buy stuff because they want to and not because they are told to .. and i know about marketing and promotion and all that stuff.. but again ... people dont spend their money on things they dont want to ...

i just felt like quoting myself .. is that okay?????

Russ, you crack me up! LOL

And it's still a good point too!

Jim
    If I never try

I'm still here....

Just thought you might want to know.... Your doing good so far... Keep it Civil

Moni
    Keep Smiling.. It makes people wonder what you're up to!

Thanks Moni! It was REAL tough.

BTW... I love that line about "Keep smiling!" LOL

Jim
    If I never try

monica..

i ate all the popcorn could ya go and get some more but i am thinking caramel corn for our next snack

Well ya wouldn't run out of popcorn so quick if you'd stop throwing it at the people when they get up on the soapbox!

Jim
    If I never try

lol.. that it what the caramel corn is for as not many have seen this yet.... ill be like.. hey .. i only have so much popcorn as i cant keep asking monica to go get more popcorn all the time

Russ<------ who is attempting humor to keep people from hanging someone for comments said earlier

Last edited by AgainstTheGrain; 07-31-2001 at 02:27 PM.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

It scares me to see Monica sitting over there with that big yardstick in her hand!

We're behaving! Honest!

Jim
    If I never try

Originally posted by phillyfan77
    It scares me to see Monica sitting over there with that big yardstick in her hand!
    I could get a picture of this over the weekend.. if you all wanna see it..

What ya say Moni.. be a trooper.. hehehe LMAO

Jason

Hey I''m game....

But only if I have you in the photo and you're the one I am
    shaking the yard stick at! LOL!!

Moni

hey Spud, Moni, Russ... what have i missed?? anyone got a recap??

BTW i like natural flavoured popcorn, but caramel popcorn will be fine

Oh Russ, chuck me a Bud..
    Kel (Chief)
    chief@planetchief.com
    http://www.planetchief.com/forums

If heaven ain't alot like dixie, I don't want to go!! Hank Williams, Jnr.

"Country Music: Admit It: We Need It!" George Jones

"Stand straight, walk proud, have a little faith, and hold out... ... We shall be free..." Garth Brooks - We Shall Be Free

Re: Hey I''m game....

Originally posted by Monica Lockhart
    But only if I have you in the photo and you're the one I am shaking the yard stick at! LOL!!

Moni
    ...and Jason also has to don the tights for the picture.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Ok. Well a couple of responses. First off I would like to say that I'm never going to change any of your opinions but I had to get this stuff off my chest. Second, Jim, I used to be a PGer. Long before you were. But I gave it up and have since forgotten my user name and password. So I had to come up with a new one.

And about the concerts, I went to 5 on his last world tour (98) and by the 5th one I could tell you word for word, song for song, what the concert was going to be like. So in my opinion, and maybe I didnt go to enough concerts to make a good judgement, his show is routine.

And no one answered about those stupid limited editions. On everything. Box set, Sevens, Double live, Magic of Christmas, Chris Gains. Just to sell more records. Yea, I agree it has to be good music to sell records but you can market the hell out of something and make it sell more.

Garth has let me down. As a musician, but more importantly as a person.

Blake

Oh yea and Jim. You can't be a very bright person to think that a 100 million different people bought Garth albums. Or maybe you just wanted to exaggerate like your idol likes to do.

Hey Moni, can ya pass me a coke and the bucket o' popcorn , please??

Blake, I can't say anything nice..so I'm jsut gonna keep my mouth shut

Vanessa
    Last edited by Vanessa; 07-31-2001 at 09:34 PM.

Don't have much to add to this, but I'll agree that no one is making us buy any albums. We buy them and support Garth because we choose to. I for one respect Garth as a person for the way he's treated his fans. And yes, I did get to meet him once, and he could not have been any nicer. It was far beyond my expectations. That's all I'm gonna say before I start getting myself in trouble here.

Now can I have some popcorn too, please? I'm hungry.

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Be Careful.. It's Hot!!

Just made a fresh batch of popcorn!

Anyone else want some??

Vanessa...Looks like it's just you and me to eat all this yummy popcorn....

Moni

woooooohooooooo.... more popcorn for us!! Thanks Moni

Vanessa

+ Reply to Thread