+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shock!!

Shock!!

Yesterday, I had a HUGE shock!

I was working in the charity shop and had the radio tuned to Ritz1035, our country channel. They played a Garth song (I was so shocked afterwards that I have even forgotten which one it was) and I was ofcourse singing with him! Then I went to the back of the shop and when I came back, there was another Garth song! I thought that was very special, so I turned up the volume a bit and listened to the disc jockey.
    This is what he said (not literally, but pretty close, I hope): "Garth Brooks, a great performer. I think he is the only one that can equal Bruce Springsteen when it comes
    to live shows ( Brian!). He has done many, many concerts and I NEVER went to see him. Such a shame! And now, sadly, it is too late."

My heart jumped in my throat and I thought: "What does he mean, "sadly, it is too late" ??? WHAT HAPPENED TO GARTH??!! OMG, WHAT HAPPENED?!"
    Thoughts were coming and going so quickly, that I couldn't even keep up with it myself. "Is he dead? How? No suicide, I am certain! Maybe a car accident? Who can I call to talk about this? No one, really. OMG, OMG, OMG! Please let it not be true!!!" Etc. etc.

I had almost finished working in the shop and I left a bit early. I wanted to know, but at the same time I did not want to know in case something really bad had happened. So I went shopping (!). Can you believe it? I walked in and out everal shops, trying on dresses... (summer dresses, Spud )

All the time I was thinking of you too, my fellow PG-ers. I was terribly concerned how you all would be taking this (just in case there was this horrible news) and I was thinking of the heart breaking posts that I would be reading.

Anyway, after an hour I decided to go home and have a look here, on PG. And I was IMMENSLY relieved that there was no new news, no bad news about Garth!!!

The disc jocky must have meant Garth's retirement all the time... what a way to say so! The guy scared me to death (no pun intended).

Just thought I'd share

Marjolijn
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

He he.

Did you take your medication that day

Jakob

I walked in and out everal shops, trying on dresses... (summer dresses, Spud )
    You know when you say that, it just kills me

Great story.. Garth music, Garth confusion, and leads up to Garth happiness. Thanks, Mar.

--spud--

Very cool story Marjolijn

So you do get some Garth over there in England

Brian
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    COME ON! Let's Join Up!
    Let's rise out of this dirt
    Escape from this oppression this anger and this hurt
    The ignorance, intolerance, stupidity and lies
    That's spreading like a virus and ruining our lives
    All we need is honesty to push away this night
    Lets hang on to our innocence and hold each other tight
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~*~*~Die Toten Hosen~*~*~

Thanks for sharing!!

Vanessa

Thanks for sharing

Tommy
    "Life is like a piano--play to its fullest"

"A good start is half the job!"

"When we free do love anyone we choose... WE SHALL BE FREE" by Mr. Brooks

To the special man in my life: Shnuggie.

That was cool what he said about Garth though.

Is no one else going to confess to something similar? LOL I have to admit that once or twice, I've had just that split-second thought that kinda scared me. I've always dismissed it quickly though. It's usually when I flip on the radio and they're playing "The Dance". I just hear Garth's words about that being the song he'd want played if anything happened to him, and I have to tell myself that they're just playing it cause it's an AMAZING song that has continued to touch people even after 12 years! Doesn't mean anything's happened to Garth! Somehow I can't help but worry though. If for no other reason than the fact that so many of the biggest of the big names seem to die far too young. I think I've just always been a little worried that would happen to Garth too.

Ok, this is getting a little creepy now! LOL

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Jakob,
    I just KNEW I had forgotten something that day LOL.

Thanks for all your reactions. And for your confession, Lisa! It makes me feel a bit less silly. Because that's how I felt in the end, very silly .

Spud, do you need any mouth-to-mouth now? Just call me, o.k.?

Marjolijn

When Garth announced his retirement our local country station threw a party !

Marjolijn, one thing is certain: You'll get over it!!
    Just be glad nothing is happened!!

BTW, did you buy something??

Lars
    Every time I got hit by bird-crap, I always am so glad that cows don't fly!

and Mar ....

you'll get mail soon!

Lars
    Every time I got hit by bird-crap, I always am so glad that cows don't fly!

I can't recall ever having any occurences where I thought Garth or any celebrity was dead. Our stations play Garth quite often sometimes and then sometimes they might not play him hardly.

In my house made of twinkies where I watched too much TV as a kid, so now I have a short attention spandex pants are hideous. :p
    Spud, do you need any mouth-to-mouth now? Just call me, o.k.?

Marjolijn

Hey Marjolijn... you better let me handle this. I've done it for Spud before... a few months ago... He got hit with a meatball or something... don't remember exactly what the details surrounding it were, but I do remember the mouth-to-mouth...

I've got the experience, so you should let me handle the situation, ok?

P.S. You better just agree...
    Anonymous77 <--- Stupid American

I watched too much TV as a kid, so now I have a short attention spandex pants are hideous.

Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones. ~~~ ( Benjamin Franklin)

Marjolijn, glad I made you feel a little better about it. As much as "The Dance" still gets played, it always seems to be dedicated in someone's memory everytime I hear it these days. Turning the radio on in the middle of it, I always kinda worry who it's being played for now! I just have to remind myself that it's ridiculous to start doing that before I actually hear anything!

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

I admit I've had thoughts like that before, but not usually in reaction to anything in particular... just a fleeting "Gosh, what would we all do if Garth was in a horrible car accident and that was that?" Of course, I pray nothing like that ever ever happens to him - or anyone! - but I have thought about it.

I remember when I heard on the radio that John Denver had passed... I called my mother at work to tell her. That was a sad moment.

I also called my mother when Princess Di was killed... Hmm... I don't want to call my mother for any more death reasons...

Garth Always,
    Dani
    "Underwear! Underwear! La la la la underwear!" - My five year old daughter, just now. This is my life.

Lars,
    No, I didn't buy anything. That would have made this whole experience worthwhile

Sam,
    Gimme a chance to practice! As an experienced person, I am sure you don't need that much practice anymore. It is 6 years ago since my first aid course. I just wanna see how much I still remember

Lisa,
    I am glad I don't have the same association with The Dance.

Dani,
    I hope you can call your mum for other reasons for the next 80 years or so!

Marjolijn

+ Reply to Thread