+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unreleased Song: Last Night I had the strangest dream?

In the NBC special Garth Brooks Trying to Rope the World, Garth is shown singing a song on a TV show of some sort singing a song that talks about ending war. I think it is called Last Night I had the Strangest Dream but I am not sure. What is this song and who orrigionally recorded it. Also why was Garth singing it? Thanks

Ryan

I remember Garth singing it on MTV UK`s "most wanted" when he did his european tour. Think it was originaly recorded by Ed McCurdy, but its been done by many artist(Simon & Garfunkel,Joan Baez and Pete Seeger and many others)
    here`s the lyrics:

"last night I had the strangest dream"

Last night I had the strangest dream
    I'd ever dreamed before
    I dreamed the world had all agreed
    To put an end to war

I dreamed I saw a mighty room
    Filled with women and men
    And the paper they were signing said
    They'd never fight again

And when the paper was all signed
    And a million copies made
    They all joined hands and bowed their heads
    And grateful pray'rs were prayed

And the people in the streets below
    Were dancing 'round and 'round
    While swords and guns and uniforms
    Were scattered on the ground

Last night I had the strangest dream
    I'd never dreamed before
    I dreamed the world had all agreed
    To put an end to war.

no_fences

Mary Liz
    Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding? That is my idea of a perfect day!!!

I have a tape of Garth singing this song,
    when he was interviewed by David Frost in 1994.
    He does such an excellent job singing it.
    I wish he would put it on his next CD.
    It's such a powerful song!!!!!!
    Julie
    .....to all
    who hear the music
    & have the courage
    to dance.....
    Garth Brooks

And the reason Garth sang it on the David Frost interview? Because David asked him what song he would play if he could make his statement to the world. Guess what? He made his statement to the world when he played and sang it. And I balled my eyes out. I hope I NEVER get over it.

I'd love to get a copy of that it sounds like it would be fantastic

Sharon
    We Just danced in the rain and listened to the Thunder Roll

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    I saw Garth sing that on "Garth Brooks Tryin'To Rope The World" also....it is a very touching song...
    and I do hope Garth might include it on his next album...that would be sooooooo cool!
    I've sang it often...

-Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

I like the David Frost version better as I don't think Tryin' to Rope the World includes the entire song.

I remember, in a prior version of Planet Garth, that Brandon had part or all of the lyrics to that song on the left side of the home page. At the time, I wondered if Garth had recorded it somewhere and I just hadn't heard it.

Paula
    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Thanks for posting the lyrics. very ! I agree with PJ, good choice of words my friend!

Vanessa

I'm suprised some fan hasn't burned it to a c.d. and started selling it .

Diane,
    Yes, yes, yes.....this would be a great one for Garth to record and release.

Wendi, surprises me too, sure hope that doesn't happen!

Mary Liz
    Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding? That is my idea of a perfect day!!!

I'd really love to see Garth record this song. It's wonderful and really shows that same hope for the future that "We Shall Be Free" does. It would be great to have a recording of that!

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Unfortunately, I have seen recordings made by people who have done just that.

Of course, if he never released it then fans burning copies isn't any better or worse than The Hungry Years now is it ?

I've got recorded that interview, all the interview on
    a tape, and he say that he know that song from an Arlo
    Guthrie album, well I don't know if I am writing his name
    rigth, but he can't remember the names of the songwriters,
    because he wish to put this song on a album.
    I hope that helps.
    I want to say that he sings in the interview The River,
    And the story about If tomorrow never comes, and a song,
    that I don't know the name but is the story about
    a girl in a bar, that he says that sounds in an original
    Country way, when he talks about Standing outside the fire.
    Probably you Julie could add more information, because we've got the tape.

Originally posted by PJ
    Unfortunately, I have seen recordings made by people who have done just that.
    PJ,

What ya mean? Like you do Videos of Garth?

I'm lost...

Jason

And I have to add that David Frost ask him
    what does he want for his kid, and he answer
    that probably he wish work for United Nations,
    And then he sings this song.

No, Jason, I don't make videos of Garth.
    Please explain me what do you mean.

What was the thing about the backyard concert again?

Sorry Jason, I thought that you were talking to me and
    you were talking with PJ.
    Again sorry.

Originally posted by Wendi5000
    What was the thing about the backyard concert again?
    Backyard thing didn't happen at all. Wendi

Your points mute. LOL

Jason

Are you quite sure it didn't happen? And are you quite sure that there weren't some unauthorized tapes of it circulating somewhere? I can't seem to remember any of the details but I do remember hearing there was a bit of a 'scandal' regarding it on the news .

Yep Wendi there was an un-authorized tape a long time ago going around.. and yup I was one of the receivers of that tape.

But I also sent one to the Backyard contest winner, she was deeply touched.. as she called me later after she got it. She didn't ask for it, she didn't know it was coming, she got a surprise one just before Easter morning.

There was no "scandal" just a little disagreement over issues, and Garth's Lawyer set all issues straigt. Nothing more. Nothing less. Don't make a big issue outta something that happened well over a year ago.

People live and learn everyday, and you being still in high School, I know don't know everything there is to know. Neither do I, or anyone else here. You learn things everyday. That's part of Life. Question is if you actually make good on the learning or not.

Jason

Number one, I am not making a big issue out of anything. I am discussing the issue of unauthorized recordings of artists work being circulated, which is in response to to other posts on this thread.

Number two, I never claimed to know everything there is to know about anything. That is why I specifically said in my post that I didn't remember the details.

Number three, I wasn't directing anything at you so I don't know why you are so defensive. I didn't even know that you were one of the recievers of the tape, or that you sent one to the winner. I think if anyone deserved a copy of the tape it was the winner of the contest anyway.

Number four, I am in college. So if you're going to make personal statements about me just because you don't like my opinion (which had nothing to do with you in the first place), please at least get the facts right.

Wendi,

you commented about a "Scandal" on here regarding that tape. That involved me. And as such your comment was directed at me.

Jason

To quote Wendi..

and NUMBER 2... I wasn't making my statement to start a fight with you.. just setting your facts straight (as you did me with you being in college) I was not deffensive, I feel my post was very "nice" and not worded to strike you down, but to tell you what really happened.

Nothing more.

Jason

Jason, if you will read my original post I stated that I heard something about it in the news. I used the word scandal because in the news when I heard it, it was called a scandal.

I stated that I didn't know the facts on it. Thus I do not know what facts you felt the need to set me straight on.

I did not use your name or say that it had anything to do with PG. As such, it was not directed at you. Your reading of and responding to the post as though it were directed at you was a defensive response.

I apologize if you do not agree with my opinion, but being that as of yet I have said nothing against the rules, I really don't see what the problem is.

Wendi..

I didn't say you said anything "against the rules" .. when I post I post as a member with my own words and actions. Any "Moderating" things I do you'd get a PM from me .. not a open post on PG about it

okay? Sorry you took me wrong on this, hope all is better now
    Jason

This entire discussion between us should have been handled in private. Especially since it is apparent that the reason you disagreed with my post was because you didn't want your own involvement in the scandal to be made public. If you have anything further to say to me about this, I wish you would use PM. Then perhaps this thread can get back on topic.

+ Reply to Thread