+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have a Garth question

Does anyone know if Garth goes to church?? I am wondering what relegion he is... Just curious. Lisa

I'm sure he goes from time to time...but I don't think he follows the views of most contemporary churches.

Anyone know any more info??

Originally posted by Honeybunny31
    Does anyone know if Garth goes to church?? I am wondering what relegion he is... Just curious. Lisa
    I believe he's Christian, but what desent I dunno, as far as going to church I dunno either.. I think the only pepole that could answer that would be Garth or Sandy or his family.. of which none post on here. .. sorry! LOL

Jason

Hmmmm.. Poses an interesting question. Would anyone think less of him if he did not regularily attend church?

--spud--

I, for one, wouldn't!

Vanessa

Beautiful Georgian Bay,Ontario, Canada, where the sunsets are heaven-sent
    Hey, we know Garth believes in God, the reference is there when Garth accepts awards, in the cd jackets and in speeches. Does it matter if he attends church? Personal choice I guess, I don't know that it matters whether or not you attend the "facility" to extend your religious beliefs.
    If you believe, you believe, and the necessity of "attending" isn't perhaps as important as the roots of the belief itself (believing in God, isn't that the important thing?)
    (trying to be politically correct without insulting ANYONE!!)
    continue on the debate folks!

ALISON
    Canadian Garthfan

VERY well stated Ali! That's actually just what I was thinking myself. I wasn't raised going to church. My faith and belief in God is very strong, and that doesn't mean I have to start going now to validate that. As many people tend to say, God is everywhere. You don't have to go to church to pray or talk to Him. You can do that anywhere at all. We know Garth has that faith, so it shouldn't matter if he goes to church or not. It truthfully shouldn't make a difference what his beliefs are if he's not pushing them on anyone else anyway.

Lisa
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

I guess I should of just asked the question "does anyone know what relegion Garth is?" I thought if I knew what kind of church that he may or may not attend, I would know what relegion he is, as this was the question I meant to ask.(quess I didn't word it very well, sorry) I didn't realize so much emphasis would be put on how often he attends church. I agree, we all know his faith in God is strong. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Thanks for reading and posting. Have a Garthly day. Lisa

Here's a quote from "The Garth Brooks Scrapbook"
    The Brookses raised Garth to draw strength from a higher power. He says " I grew up in a family that never went to church, but they knew all good things in life come from God. In no way could I even tie a good Christian's shoelaces, but I also know that all my giftd come from the Lord.

I think the part about shoelaces is totally wrong Garth is more Christian in his actions than alot of "Good Christians"

Hope this helps answer your question

Sharon
    We Just danced in the rain and listened to the Thunder Roll

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    I've read Garth is non-denominational...
    and the same thing you have posted Sharon...

I also read that one of Garth's brothers is a minister at a Methodist church...and one of his brothers is a police officer...
    Garth wasn't influenced by any particular religion...and
    I wasn't raised going to church either...But I have always loved Jesus Christ and the Father...and I learned from my mother to read the Bible...
    my grandmother taught Sunday school for 45 years in a Presbyterian church before she past away...and she gave me the "little golden book" collection about Jesus...I was only 8 years old when she died...but she did influence me greatly by example...I was only four years old when I first prayed and my prayer was answered.
    Throughout my life...I wasn't influenced or swayed by any particular religion...although I was baptized in a Presbyterian church...I only attended there maybe 3 times.
    My mother often taught me by example...for instance, sometimes late at night I would wake up and come downstairs to find her reading the Bible...sometimes during the day she would read and be crying...she said the answers were there in that book...and whenever I had a problem as she did...to ask God to give you the answer and open the book and read from the page you opened to.
    It hasn't failed me yet...
    Many times in my life I would start to read the Bible...but it wasn't until I was around 36 that I read the entire Book...
    Going to church is not the only way to find God...He lives in our hearts...and I had a daily walk with Him all my life...playing in the fields among the cattle and swamps surrounded by lilly-pads and tadpoles...so, I learned of God and myself first....then I learned from the Bible...and from mankind...my day was always a talk with God...and I imagined I was playing at His feet while He watched over me.

Years later...I attended a church...a Christian church...and the Reverend happened to be interested in learning about Garth Brooks...
    At that time between 1998-2000 ...I found many people that wanted to be "Saved" and baptized into Jesus but they didn't go to church because they weren't raised going to church either...so, I arranged the baptisms and the Reverend would set up a date to go to church...at one point...every time he did the baptisms...I would give him more and more of Garth's albums...I purchased them for gifts for him...and he would be so happy...and hugged me each time I left the church...I remember when "Sevens" came out...I got him a cd and cassette for his car...also one cd for his daughter too...who saw Garth in Central Park...he also had to make copies of the "Believer" magazine and was overwhelmed with the picture in the one mag of so many people in one place at one time...and that was in the early hours when it was taken...prior to the concert.
    Eventually he ended up with all of Garth's albums...
    and almost everyone I knew has been baptized by him.
    See...going to Church doesn't make your relationship with God happen...that happens in your heart and you have a relationship with Him every second of your life.
    Going to church is good because it brings people together for a common cause...to worship God together...but you can also worship God at home or in a field among alfalfa...where ever!
    Jesus called his followers 'Believers'...and I call myself a "Believer"...
    And Garth was raised properly by his parents...as I was raised by mine...we weren't influenced by any particular religion.
    Even if his brother went out and became a Methodist preacher...it was his calling...

-Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

In a 'recent' press conference in Nashville, Garth mentioned he couldn't tie a Christian's shoelaces(guess he has been saying this throughout his career), but in this same interview he said he was focusing on his relationship with Christ and his family/girls.

Also, he said at that country music radio luncheon that Jesus is the 'cat' he wants most to see, and that he is sorry he didn't use all the gifts God has given him always wisely. At least he is ready to meet His Maker, huh? What a good example he has given us all. When you are right with God, church is secondary, ya know? Jesus walks with us where ever we go.

Diane, thanks for sharing your story. That's neat how the Rev. loves Garth too and how your family is closer because of Jesus.

Wow, Diane...what an incredible story, you never cease to amaze me with what you bring to the table!!! I WAS raised in the Church and as I reached my senior year in High School, I decided that I could no longer tolerate the hypocracy in alot of the members of the congregation that existed in the Church that I had attended almost every Sunday for many, many years. I made the conscious decision to leave that particular Church and years later, I found myself closer to God than I had ever been and even now he sits right beside me as I type this post. It's a glorious day when you realize he is right there with you every step of the way!

Also, he said at that country music radio luncheon that Jesus is the 'cat' he wants most to see, and that he is sorry he didn't use all the gifts God has given him always wisely.
    I don't know about "all" the gifts God has Given Garth but to me THE most meaningful gift has been how his music has touched so many lives and brought so many people together over the miles. I can't think of anyone who has accomplished such a positive feat as this! Thank you God and Thank you Garth!!!

Cheryl
    "Anything is possible"

Diane:

That was simply the BEST thing I have read in a very long time! I can't thank you enough for sharing this. And I beleive that Garth is a witness for the Lord in every way. I have read about it and heard about it and I have seen him do this with my own eyes. I could cry every time I remember last month in Nashville and the wonderful "Moments" we all had with Garth. And a new friend I met there knows what I am talking about, he has given her comfort, support and encouragement to go for her dreams and achieve them! And he did this in just a few minutes.

I also believe that he is there for Johnny Russell alot more than we realize and not just with money. It is the support of being there that can't be bought, he is not doing this for publicity and probably prefers to not get recognized for this effort. Garth, I love you for your music but I love you soul & spirit even more! Johnny, you are in my prayers tonight.

Valerie (vj the dj)

Cheri, Sharon, Dale, Diane, Val, Lisa, Ali, Spud, Vanessa, Lowell, Jason & Honeybunny ~

All you guys have me in tears! Good tears though. It thrills me to see that other see the messenger and hear the message. To me that is Garth. Not the entertainer but the good Christ-like man that he is ever strving to be. And....He does a darn good job of it too, if you ask me!

Thank you all for sharing and making this lady's day!

Mary Liz
    Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding? That is my idea of a perfect day!!!

Diane, I decided to reread your post after all the heartfelt responses it received, and I realized something about my own childhood--that I probably never properly acknowledged the loved ones in my life then because I never acknowledged my Father who was always with me until later in life. But you know what? Looking back? He was there alright. But now I have the painful task of making my selfishness up to those loved ones I never let in. Let's just say I often get a taste of my own medicine. But that just makes me more determined to try and rebuild my relationships by undoing the damage. Trouble is, my family got used to me the other way, and now I'm even more odd to them I think. I can't win sometimes! But with God's help I can. It's tough though. At times I'm still very selfish.

And I can't tell you how good it is to hear other fans sharing how they feel God's love from Garth too. God is so good in bringing fame to one like him who blesses so many in the process. Garth is living proof of the scripture he stands on, that with God all things are possible. And look at all the Believers he's got standing behind him?! We could just about help change the world too with all the good things he has taught us through his example and through his music. I so long to see "We Shall Be Free" come true. For Garth. For the world. Hey, it could happen, because, through God...

Fuzzwuzz(Dale I think)

First off let me be the first to say I think its wonderful what you are setting out to do. Now let me offer you some words of wisdom from Garth himself.

If Tomorrow Never Comes

Sometimes late at night
    I lie awake and watch her sleeping
    She's lost in peaceful dreams
    so I turn out the lights and lay there in the dark
    and the thought crosses my mind
    if I never wake up in the morning
    would she ever doubt the way I feel
    about her in my heart

Chorus
    If tomorrow never comes
    will she know how much I loved her
    did I tryin every wayto sshow her every day
    that she's my only one
    and if my time on earth were through
    and she must face this world without me
    is the love I gave her in the past
    gonna be enough to last
    if tomorrow never comes

'cause I've lost loved ones in my life
    who never knew how much I loved them
    now I live with the regret
    that my true feelings for them never were revealed
    so I made a promise to myself
    to say each day how much she means to me
    and avoid that circumstance
    where there's no second chance to tell her how I feel

repeat chorus

Tag
    so tell that someone that you love
    just what you're thinking of
    if tomorrow never comes

K. Blazy and G. Brooks
    Copyright 1988 Evanlee music/ Major Bob Music Co.Inc.-{ascap)

I guess what I wanted to tell you is that even if your family looks at you funny just tell them don't wait for the perfect time.

Sharon

Sharon, you made my night! Thanks!

Godd luck dale follow your heart and keep Believin'

moving away...near a rivers ebbing flow...from where I come and where I go...lighthouses in harbors shore...keeping safe the tossed and torn.
    Thank-you everyone for your kind responses...I'm in awe...
    Also...thanks for sharing your hearts echos...I'm hearing ya!
    "If Tomorrow Never Comes"...gives us all something to think about for the day!

-Diane
    "There's Faith,Hope and Love,and the greatest of these is love, that's cool" Garth Brooks on We Shall Be Free Video

Originally posted by Honeybunny31
    He had a church built on his Nashville farm, so one would think he believes in the institution of church.

Thanks to everyone who posted thier responses!! very !! Ity's very touching!! ML: your very welcome, I 'm glad that I helped you.

Vanessa

I would just like to say " you all are awesome ". It has been wonderful reading how God has touched all your lives. Is'nt it great how Garth himself and his music make us think of the real things in life, not only faith in God, but being a good friend, being kind to others, going after your dreams, helping your neighbor, I could go on and on. Garth and his music have touched my life in a very positive way and coming to PG and reading all the special storys has also. Garth fans are the BEST. I am proud to say that I am one of them.

Lisa

Bandicoot, can you tell us more about this church on Garth's property? Is it the same as 'The Barn'?

what's 'The Barn'??

Vanessa

Bandicoot, can you tell us more about this church on Garth's property? Is it the same as 'The Barn'?
    The Barn is The Barn, which isn't standing anymore.That's where the basketball court was.That's where the cover of Sevens was shot.The church is the church/schoolhouse.

oh Thanks for your help!

Vanessa

Originally posted by Bandicoot
    The Barn is The Barn, which isn't standing anymore.That's where the basketball court was.That's where the cover of Sevens was shot.The church is the church/schoolhouse.
    umm Sevens cover was shot in Sandy's barn wasn't it? where she kept her horses.

"The Barn" that had the basketball courts in it they just took the flooring out and concreted it.. and he put all 3 stages from his World Tours inside them.

You can still see The Barn from The Gates.

Just what I thought anyways

Jason

Thanks for your help Jason!

Vanessa

So the church is also where the girls have their home schooling? If you ask me that's bringing the church closer to home to where it really belongs in the first place, right in your midst.

My husband grew up in his younger years in Louisianna near Baton Rouge, right across the street from the Mississippi levee, in an old broken down home. His family was dirt poor, but they happened to have what's been called the littlest church in the world right next door. It was so small I think only two people could fit at the altar at one time. People come from near and far to kneel and pray there. But let me tell you, with the troubled alcoholic household my husband was raised in, that little chapel was his constant refuge from the world that so wanted to suck the very life out of his young life. He talked to God alot there. And even stole some of the candles from the alter when the family couldn't afford electricity. It's great he had that chapel to go to, but what about those who don't? How are our children gonna know God if He can't be found in our homes? Who or what will they turn to instead?

I found it very interesting we went from talking about Garth's church affiliation to just the simple fact we need God, period. In our homes. In our hearts. What a good example and teacher Garth, the music, and you all, have been for me. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread