+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dallas News bashes Garth....

I post this cause it is news.. even Negative news is good at times... (I think Brian will like this writer even though most will not!) LOL

here is the story:

Country music: Déjà vu, thy name is Garth

Country Goliath Garth Brooks is back in the Top 10 with his single "Wild Horses." No surprise: Radio usually jumps at the chance to play a new song from the biggest-selling act in the genre's history.

But in typical Brooks fashion (meaning there's a headline-grabbing bent somewhere) "Horses" isn't merely his latest radio staple. In fact, the tune, an engaging if unremarkable midtempo number, isn't even new. "Horses" is a track from 1990's No Fences, the 16-million-selling second album that turned him into a superstar.

The Oklahoma native is famous for recycling and reshuffling his own material. Remember how he released 1998's The Limited Series, a box set featuring each of his first six CDs with just one bonus track added? Now that Series is out of print, Mr. Brooks recently re-reissued those six albums with their corresponding bonus tracks. In other words, he's selling the box set again without the box.

So "Wild Horses" serves as the audible commercial for those reissues, right? What a waste of air space. Those who wanted to buy No Fences already did. The single's airplay hasn't done much to spike sales of the album. So, in essence, Mr. Brooks is hogging radio time from more deserving country artists. That's typical of him, too.

Mario Tarradell
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Now my comments:

I urge you not to take it out on the writer in PlanetGarth... as the writer would never see it anyways....

So if you didn't like the story that was printed by the writer at the Dallas News that is posted here:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainm...cs_25art..html

You have a few options... (The writer is a "POP MUSIC columist" not Country) his name is Mario Tarradell.
    You can email his at this address: mtarradell@dallasnews.com
    You can mail the Editor of the Arts section here: rholter@dallasnews.com (Mr. Holter)
    Or if your in the Dallas area you can call: 214-977-8437 for the paper.

Thought I'd pass this along

Jason

Emailed the Editor.....I'm not from Dallas...

Mr. Holter,
    I have nothing but respect for you but I am terribly offended by Mario Tarradell. Dallas is my hometown and Garth has always been good to Dallas. It sounded like a personal attack by Mr. Tarradell. His comments about Garth reissuing his albums was nonsense. Garth was simply restocking the shelves with his old albums....with an extra song as a added bonus. Mr. Tarradell made Garth seem greedy when nobody has kept prices as low as Garth. I bet he has no idea how much his box set cost....Garth practically gave it away. I am sure Mr. Tarradell offended a lot of people. He should not pick on the best selling solo artist in history. He certainly has offended me. Thanks for you time.
    Sincerely,
    Lowell Miller

Oh yes Jason

Than writer almost hit the nail right on the head

Brian

Well, you have to admit it looks kind of odd when he is talking about retiring to suddenly "restock the shelves" with his old albums with new material on them. I do think the author of that article was out of line with the personal attacks but somewhere underneath it all he has a valid point, at least the way I see it.

Just my two cents... No offense intended

Just checking if I can post now!!
    Howdy everyone

Maybe the author is tired of waiting for "new" material.

deb

What's wrong of repacking or rereleasing CDs?

If you don't like it, then don't buy it

I just wish Santa could grant me with a million so I could buy another million of No Fences!! HOW'S THAT? <---SHOOT ME!!

:rolleye:Tommy

PS: sometimes article journalists have no much to write...LOL Sure pick on the person in his expertise--pop music!

Hey everyone!

Ok, I'm gonna put my two cents in on this now if you don't mind.

Alright now, most of the reason Garth's song "Wild Horse" gets played alot is because when people hear a song like that, that hasn't been released as a single they want to here it again so they'll call in and ask for them to play it again. OR they haven't heard a single in a while and they just want to here it played again.

Any way sorry. Maybe some of you are right though, perhaps everyone is tired of waiting for new material.

Michelle

I love listening to the old stuff... and I'll wait as
    long as it takes to hear some new stuff because Garth
    has Never disappointed me. I hope they continue to play
    not only "wild horses" but all the old stuff!!!!
    ~anna
    Remember that the best relationship is one in which your Love for one another exceeds you need for one another.

Hi Jason
    Well that is kind of typical if you ask me, and I know from experience it does no good whatever to complain. However, all publicity is good publicity as the saying goes. Some journos just like the sound of their own rhetoric, and the nastier it gets, the more people like to read it seemingly. Sad old world

We are happy, in the UK, to have releases that contain the old stuff plus one or two new ones because the old stuff is likely to be no longer available. I know I was thrilled to be sent the Double Live for review because it had all the old favourites on with the audience in full voice - brilliant! You get all the atmosphere of a concert.
    It's the old saying, if you don't like it, don't buy it, watch it, read it or whatever. No use complaining, just go out and enjoy life to the best of your ability.

By the way, when we were in Ireland, we were in the Bank of Ireland, Tipperary Town and guess what was playing? "The Red Strokes" by Garth Brooks. Very appropriate, even if it wasn't referring to being 'in the red'.

Sue

I just don't think it is very fair to the fans who already run out and buy everything as soon as it is released to re-release old cd's with one new song on them, especially if the new song isn't going to be released on a single. It seems as if he did it just to make us buy the same cd over again, and thus increase his total sales...

Now I know some will argue that was not his intent at all, and you may very well be right. But it certainly looks suspicious, no matter what his intent was. Columnists looking for something to say about a wonderful artist who doesn't have any real *news* to mention will inevitably pick up on things such as this.

Oh well... as Jason (I think) said in a totally unrelated thread, Take what you can get.

Whilst I take your point Wendy I beg to differ because there is nothing saying the long distance fans have to buy cds with the same tracks on. Believe it or not, new fans are being born by the minute, and we who are Garth starved over here in Europe generally and the UK in particular,have to make do with tribute artistes. Mind you, that is OK if they can sing, and the current one (Rick McKay) certainly can. Ireland does a lot better by Garth because he is considered a 'native son' being half Irish. (That is, of course, where he gets those wonderful blue eyes, and his charm from.)
    Sue

I beg to differ because there is nothing saying the long distance fans have to buy cds with the same tracks on. Believe it or not, new fans are being born by the minute
    Which is why there has to be old albums on the shelf.. which is what Garth was doing. Not his fault that "old" fans buy it too though

true?

Jason

Hi Jason Absolutely true

Hi Wendi Just to prove my point, I had a letter today for our April issue, an excerpt of which is as follows:

"As a newcomer to Country Music myself I must agree with Sue's comment with regard to the maturity of Country Music listeners, I am 47 years of age and although my parents have always enjoyed Country Music it is only in the last 18 months that I have been converted. I was played Unanswered Prayer by Garth Brooks and I was hooked, I have since purchased the boxed set of Garth Brooks cd's along with lots of other material by George Strait, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, Brooks & Dunn etc, so you can see the range of styles I am listening to is very varied."

Sue

Oklahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    You know what? I'm glad Garth put out the box set....because I was a little bit late to jump on the Garth bandwagon. By buying the box set, I caught up on buying all of those albums at once (for a terrific price) instead of paying for each album separately (which would have amounted to a lot of money). So as more people choose to start listening to Garth's music, it's still out there for them to buy. ....just my two cents worth.

BassChick

Beautiful Georgian Bay,Ontario, Canada, where the sunsets are heaven-sent
    Hey Nutts:

I have received notification that the Dallas news Mr. Rick Holter is going to use part of my email regarding the unfavorable article recently written about Garth re-releasing Wild Horses.
    It will be in this sunday in Arts Mail.
    The link is www.dallasnews.com/entertainment
    Even tho my email is not completely used, I believe it gets my (and most Garthnutt's)point across.
    All that really matters is that it is only ONE person's opinion and like I stated on the Gbox, if that ONE person was at a Garthconcert in Texas stadium voicing his opinion, would anyone there care? and would anyone be able to HEAR his opinion?
    Nuff said!!
    You know the answer to those questions-seek solace knowing that to us, His opinion does not even matter!

Alison
    ALISON
    Canadian Garthfan

+ Reply to Thread